[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: M Club dinner  (Read 14149 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: M Club dinner
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 03:26:29 PM »
I hope nobody claps and nobody boos.

The silence would be deafening!

I think that would be extremely disrespectful.  Al McGuire would role in his grave if our fans did that.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »
My recollection is that Al wanted to give Raymonds space to be his own man. I think he wanted that for every coach that followed him.  I wasn't a student then, so can't say anything about pep rallies, etc.  I do remember that I think it was 1981, MU was a hundred years old and they did a basketball game at Marquette High school.  One team was coached by Al, one by Hank, consisting of former MU players.  On one of the first plays, one player, I think maybe Craig Butrym, dunked and broke the backboard, and they had to play a half-court game the rest of the way, LOL!  Al also founded Al's Run right after he retired, and then started broadcasting.  Kevin O'Neill told stories about coming in from practice to find Al in his office.  So I think he was around, but not necessarily out in the public eye.  Al could have chosen to move to NY or someplace bigger but didn't.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »
I think that would be extremely disrespectful.  Al McGuire would role in his grave if our fans did that.

If Al was rolling in his grave, it would only be because he hadn't stopped rolling since TC publicly bitchslapped George Thompson.  Lazar NEVER would have been handed #24 if Al was alive.

Nice work Chicos, I was all about supporting TC tomorrow night and you made me recollect anothe reason why the man is an absolute fraud. 

But still, please those in attendence, do not resort to booing.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 04:40:26 PM »
I was @ MU from 78-82 and Al came around a lot. 

He did speeches at the Varsity Theatre, Pep rallies before DePaul and ND games in BMU.  Later on he MC'd Reunions at the BC, and was funnier than hell at all of these.  Al was a very private man, but he showed up as much as you would expect.

PRN, you are either a liar or totally ignorant, or didn't go to MU. 

A douchebag none the less.

I was at MU in 78 and 79. Al McGuire did not come to Campus a single time. When he came with NBC, hi did the game from the truck.He never entered The Arena. I think you are sadly mistaken.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 05:14:01 PM »
According to Joe Trues facebook, Dwyane Wade is at the AL with Gabrielle Union. Think we'll see her tomorrow?

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 05:39:43 PM »
I was at MU from 79-80 through 82-83.  I remember Al speaking at a pep rally at the BMU the night before a game (though I couldn't tell you which one, DePaul or ND, I think) where he was doing the national TV broadcast.  I'm pretty sure it was during the 79-80 season, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I can confirm that he came for a pep rally--it was definitely not during 79-80.   

There was a huge deal made of it because it was the first time Al was back on campus since '77. 

susie90

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Back to the original question:   you'll be fine with a suit, sport coat, and or a tie.  Your wife could wear a pant suit or eqivalent or a business-casual dress.  Probably not a sundress.  I've been to a couple of events/banquets so that's my experience.  Also, I would come prepared with camera, sharpie pen, etc. just in case.  :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »
If Al was rolling in his grave, it would only be because he hadn't stopped rolling since TC publicly bitchslapped George Thompson.  Lazar NEVER would have been handed #24 if Al was alive.

Nice work Chicos, I was all about supporting TC tomorrow night and you made me recollect anothe reason why the man is an absolute fraud.  

But still, please those in attendence, do not resort to booing.

The Al McGuire I had the pleasure of working with for 4 years, especially the last two with the broadcasts and such, would find it unbelievably disrespectful if people in the audience sat on their hands or booed.  There is no question in my mind based on my interactions with the man.

I'd also like to know why GT isn't on the air now since TC isn't there anymore?  Since TC is blamed for pulling him off the air, why isn't he back on?  There's a lot more to that story and only one version has been told.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 05:58:19 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 06:00:04 PM »
A pantsuit? 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2009, 09:22:56 AM »
TC never pulled George off the air nor did George quit solely because of TC.  My comment about the public bitch slap is all about Lazar being given the #24.

And while GT has not returned to the booth, he has returned to games, banquets, events etc.  Coincidence? 

BTW Chicos, congrats on knowing Al so well.  If only all of us could have had that relationship.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:07 AM »
When was Cords AD you douchebag?
Cords started at  MU in 1987. Are you telling me that from 1977 McGuire couldn't stay away, even usurping Hank Raymonds by appearing at pep rallies the YEAR AFTER HE RETIRED?! But by 1987 he decided it'd be best if he stayed away? The fool in this conversation is you, I'm afraid.

To Chicos -- I realize McGuire's stance softened in the mid to late 90s. My original point was to compare his behavior immediately following his exit to Creans. You must admit, it's quite a contrast.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »
TC never pulled George off the air nor did George quit solely because of TC.  My comment about the public bitch slap is all about Lazar being given the #24.

And while GT has not returned to the booth, he has returned to games, banquets, events etc.  Coincidence? 

BTW Chicos, congrats on knowing Al so well.  If only all of us could have had that relationship.

Coincidence?  No.  Petty?  Yes.  You can't get along with the coach so you stay away from games.  Silly.  It becomes all about "me" at that point with two personalities pissing straight into the wind.

I never said I knew Al McGuire "so well", I said based on my interactions with the man, he would find the notion of people booing or sitting on their hands extremely disrespectful.  I stand by that statement.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »
No Scott Merritt at the dinner?!

susie90

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 01:48:06 PM »
Ladies refer to dress pants/slacks/trousers with a coordinating blazer/jacket as a "pant suit." ;)  Is this confusing?  You could also consult the tv program "What Not to Wear!" on TLC. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 02:17:21 PM »
No Scott Merritt at the dinner?!

Merritt is playing for Tochigi Brex in the Japanese league.  Their season starts in a few days, so he may not be able to get back.

g0ldmember42

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 05:02:31 PM »
Back to the original question:   you'll be fine with a suit, sport coat, and or a tie.  Your wife could wear a pant suit or eqivalent or a business-casual dress.  Probably not a sundress.  I've been to a couple of events/banquets so that's my experience.  Also, I would come prepared with camera, sharpie pen, etc. just in case.  :)

THANK YOU! LOL Was wondering how long it would be before this one got answered.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 06:27:21 PM »
Merritt is playing for Tochigi Brex in the Japanese league.  Their season starts in a few days, so he may not be able to get back.
He left last Sunday, so coming back from the far East wouldn't make sense. Plus, he saw many of these guys at Marcus Jackson's wedding a few weeks back. Funny aside -- Crean rsvp'd to the wedding, then texted some excuse last minute.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 08:57:30 PM »
I attended Marquette from 1987 until 1990. McGuire was not only NEVER around, he stated repeatedly that he intentionally stayed away from Marquette games, including reunions. I have also attended reunions of these players. Al would attend for the private function, but tape messages for the game recognitions. His only appearances at Marquette were for Al's Run.

If he appeared at pep rallies at Marquette in 1978 I would be SHOCKED! I'm not going to call you a liar for claiming this, but there is absolutely no way it's true. Not a chance.

It's either a complete fabrication or you've somehow embedded a non-existant memory in your head.

McGuire appeared on campus to cover the game against UNLV in 1978.  I do not know if he attended any pep rallies that year.  He did attend the pep rally before the De Paul game in 1982.  I was present.  In 1981 or thereabout,  he took part in an alumni game to celebrate the centennial of the university.  He coached one team and Hank coached the other.  The game was held at Marquette High.  I cannot confirm other appearances McGuire made during that period, but there certainly were some.  Your underlying point that McGuire did not visit the campus in the period after the national championship is simply wrong.  He made at least several public appearances on campus  in a period of time less than five years after leaving Marquette. 

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009, 09:01:18 PM »
How about Al's Run?

I was at MU 84-88 and saw Al around campus plenty.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2009, 10:26:52 PM »
He left last Sunday, so coming back from the far East wouldn't make sense. Plus, he saw many of these guys at Marcus Jackson's wedding a few weeks back. Funny aside -- Crean rsvp'd to the wedding, then texted some excuse last minute.

Excuse? No excuses are needed when you're family.

I hope someone's able to share the observations from the dinner. Pictures would be great!
SS Marquette

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2009, 08:40:27 AM »
I attended Marquette from 1987 until 1990. McGuire was not only NEVER around, he stated repeatedly that he intentionally stayed away from Marquette games, including reunions. I have also attended reunions of these players. Al would attend for the private function, but tape messages for the game recognitions. His only appearances at Marquette were for Al's Run.

If he appeared at pep rallies at Marquette in 1978 I would be SHOCKED! I'm not going to call you a liar for claiming this, but there is absolutely no way it's true. Not a chance.

It's either a complete fabrication or you've somehow embedded a non-existant memory in your head.

Post 1977 Al didn't attend MU games unless he was working for CBS/NBC, but he did come back a few times to be honored along with his teams and I remember several dinners I atended which he was the honoree. But generally he stayed away. Didn't want to take the attention from Hank & Rick as head coaches and never was close to Duket or O'Neil. Crean pursued a relationship with him in the two years before he died in January 2001.

Privately he mentioned that he didn't want to interfere -----he used the ND situation in the early 1950s as an example of how a previous coach can ruin a program------this after the legendary Frank Leahy had retired  and Terry Brennan took over as ND head football coach and to make a long story short -----Leahy made a nuisance of himself being very visible & critical of the way Brennan was running the team------needless to say that ND football hit rock bottom not to be resurected until Ara Parsegian was appointed HC in the mid 1960s.

warthogdriver

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »
I can confirm that he came for a pep rally--it was definitely not during 79-80.   

There was a huge deal made of it because it was the first time Al was back on campus since '77. 

I remember a pep rally Al did in the late '70's - it was before the MU - ND game which was being televised by NBC. It was a hateful sight but I suppose Al did it for the showmanship angle rather than any love for ND. I know many, many people were outraged that Al would turn up at an ND pep rally, especially one nationally televised and for the MU game

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2009, 02:20:45 PM »
I guess you can say that Al didn't show up at MU post 1977 unless he was asked.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »
I attended from 03 to last year and I can definitively state that I saw his ghost walking around the old gym.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2009, 08:27:34 AM »
I guess you can say that Al didn't show up at MU post 1977 unless he was asked.

That makes sense.

I wish Crean would do the same thing and show some class.

I can't believe he showed up the other night uninvited!