[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kahlil Mcdonald-New Marquette commit  (Read 44775 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Kahlil Mcdonald-New Marquette commit
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »
So far Buzz's late signings are McMorrow and Butler. Mcmorrow's health issues render him a moot point. Butler's success gives Buzz a level of credibility in this area that TC never earned.
Not that I disagree with you, but it is a pretty small sample size...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2009, 12:56:47 PM »
I understand D-Wade still has a year of eligibility left and misses WI winters.   ::)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2009, 12:57:47 PM »
But, do you think he decomitted based on what was said on the message board?

Solely based on the message board?  No.

According to his friends he'd been thinking of opening it up well before that.  The message boards were just the final straw.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2009, 01:39:29 PM »
I'd be on the far side of spectrum that says MOST kids don't weight message boards heavily, but I don't how you can argue that MOST kids do read them, and SOME kids put a great deal of value in what is said. 

I don't feel an urge to bash a young man on a public site that allows me to hide behind my computer, so I do become a bit frustrated with that part of this site, and I do think it has to be kept in mind by those posting.  No sense in burning any bridges.  Thanks to this board TC will never want to come back to MU after he wears out his welcome at IU.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2009, 01:47:27 PM »
Why would anyone ever, even in their most out-of-body experience, want him back?

Adiós, mf'er and the horse you rode in on.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2009, 01:49:57 PM »
Why would anyone ever, even in their most out-of-body experience, want him back?

Adiós, mf'er and the horse you rode in on.

I think the fact that it was in teal meant he was being in sarcastic.  But I guess knee-jerk responses are color blind.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2009, 02:23:26 PM »
Sultan I think a lot of people read these boards on their phone, I know I do. If that is the case you don't see the color of the post, just because it appears one way on a PC doesn't mean it will be formatted the same everywhere.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »
So far Buzz's late signings are McMorrow and Butler. Mcmorrow's health issues render him a moot point. Butler's success gives Buzz a level of credibility in this area that TC never earned.

Plus we know that TC made Wade a certain #5 overall pick and after he tinkered with him, when he should have been #1 right out of high school.  The kid never improved one iota.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2009, 02:47:40 PM »
Plus we know that TC made Wade a certain #5 overall pick and after he tinkered with him, when he should have been #1 right out of high school.  The kid never improved one iota.

I believe he is referring to Juco players. Not recruiting in general.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2009, 03:16:54 PM »
I saw and understood the remark was sarcasm. My response was neither knee-jerk nor sarcastic.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2009, 03:26:45 PM »
I saw and understood the remark was sarcasm. My response was neither knee-jerk nor sarcastic.

You're right..."obsessive" would be a better term.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »
Not that I disagree with you, but it is a pretty small sample size...

Butler is head and shoulders above any of TC's late signings. Buzz could strike out for the next 8 years and still be ahead of the game.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »

Don't know how this addresses or mitigates Crean's abysmal spring signing record but I've never suggested that Wade's game didn't improve over the three years he spent at Marquette. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an example of an elite (top 3) NBA player who didn't show any progress between the ages of 19 -22. I'm sure that TC worked hard with and for Wade and for that Dwyane is and will remain grateful. The fact remains that without Crean DW would still be one of the best players in the world today. Who knows where TC would be today without Wade? Certainly not in Bloomington and quite possibly not in Milwaukee either.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2009, 06:33:54 PM »

You're right..."obsessive" would be a better term.

I prefer "focused."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »

I'm guessing either a CYO league or WNBA.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »

I believe he is referring to Juco players. Not recruiting in general.

My remarks were actually for Lenny.  If you read one of Lenny's comments the other day, Crean and MU staff had literally nothing to do with Wade's success.  Apparently Wade was always a top 5 pick and none of us knew it in those first two years.   ::)

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2009, 08:44:45 PM »
Butler is head and shoulders above any of TC's late signings.

But, apparently not good enough to help us be better than even get to .500 in the league.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2009, 09:23:29 PM »
My remarks were actually for Lenny.  If you read one of Lenny's comments the other day, Crean and MU staff had literally nothing to do with Wade's success.  Apparently Wade was always a top 5 pick and none of us knew it in those first two years.   ::)

Wade is one of the 3 best basketball players in the world. Like LeBron and Kobe, I'm sure he's greatful to the various mentors he's had along the way. But genius is something no teacher can give to a pupil, and DWade (and Lebron and Kobe) get there given any reasonable stewardship. I'll give TC that much credit. But this was a winning lottery ticket for Crean - one he's cashed so many times it makes me ill.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2009, 09:29:09 PM »
But, apparently not good enough to help us be better than even get to .500 in the league.

I dunno, is Butler going to be drafted in the middle of the draft in two years along with Lazar this year?  I sure hope so, because the last time we had two nba draft picks on the team they managed to go 7-9 in the mighty CUSA after that magical 8-8 run the year before!!!  Of course, that comparison doesn't make sense because those teams also had a lot more talent coming back besides the top two with Merritt the first year and Mason the second.  MU is much less experienced this year and really no guy you could point to as the 3rd option.  Oh wait, that's right, we can't compare next year to those years because they weren't TC's best coaching jobs.  We can only judge Buzz against, quite arguably, TC's best coaching job in 05-06; how silly of me.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2009, 09:44:23 PM »

Where have I even suggested what my expectations are for this year's team? You set the baseline for this year's team based on Crean's best coaching year ever coupled with the most overachieving freshman class in MU history. I'm on record as saying that's unfair and indicative of an agenda. That remains my assessment. I'll let you know my expectations at or near the beginning of the season. Fair enough?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »
Wow. Started off on Kahlil and now it sounds like a new thread needs to be made centering on Crean's recruiting classes.  ::)
SS Marquette

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2009, 11:49:42 PM »
I'm so glad it's almost time for Midnight madness.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:22:32 AM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2009, 02:01:53 AM »
Where have I even suggested what my expectations are for this year's team? You set the baseline for this year's team based on Crean's best coaching year ever coupled with the most overachieving freshman class in MU history. I'm on record as saying that's unfair and indicative of an agenda. That remains my assessment. I'll let you know my expectations at or near the beginning of the season. Fair enough?

And where I have I ever suggested that the baseline for this year's team was Crean's best coaching year?   I said .500/8th place was the baseline.  I never said 4th place is the baseline.  

I do think that you should be honest enough to set expectations that high--after all, you have already  declared Buzz a better coach and recruiter.  If you feel that way, the performance should show up in the W/L record.  

Instead--you criticize me because I think the team should go .500.  

I think we can see *your* agenda--you don't like Crean, so have already decided in advance regardless of actual performance, that Buzz a better coach and recruiter.  

I can't be more clear--I've stated on numerous occasions I'm more than willing to conclude Buzz is a better coach and recruiter--when his teams actually perform better.  I don't think he's proven it yet.

BTW, you claim Butler is proof of superior recruiting, but how do you know Butler isn't just overachieving?  Never mind--I already know your answer: only Crean's recruiting and coaching can be discredited by calling his recruits overacheivers.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:04:52 AM by Marquette84 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2009, 03:44:36 AM »
And where I have I ever suggested that the baseline for this year's team was Crean's best coaching year?   I said .500/8th place was the baseline.  I never said 4th place is the baseline.  

Um, you said it right here, on July 1, 2009 (see below).  In fact, you didn't say it was the baseline, you emphasized that it was the floor.  I took that as meaning that anything less than 4th place in the big east meant that Buzz was a worse coach and/or recruiter than TC.  Thank god we keep every post archived to keep you honest.  Oh wait, you say you were being sarcastic?  Never mind then.  Keep tellin' us how it is.  If you shift your argument enough, maybe we'll all get confused...

I base my comment on past history.  

In 2006, with a largely freshman team, we finished tied for fourth, and yet a significant number of people to this day complain that we had no big east calibre players, we were poorly coached, and we underachieved.

With the #1 recruiting class and a player from the 2009 USA Men's World University Games Team, I would think that 2006 performance (tied for 4th place) would represent the floor for expectations for this year's team.  I have to think that most would expect league championships after that with the talent coming in for next year.

The expectations from MU fans are far higher than they are at Virginia.

I can't be more clear--I've stated on numerous occasions I'm more than willing to conclude Buzz is a better coach and recruiter--when his teams actually perform better.  I don't think he's proven it yet.

Oh yes - you're just about as clear as the Ohio River.  I once almost caught a small Sturgeon in the Ohio River.   Or wait, maybe it was just a big Bass.  Hard to tell - the water is pretty murky.  I'm sure you understand the confusion.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:56:52 AM by rocky_warrior »

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2009, 07:31:07 AM »
Well done RW, well done.

Is it just me or doe sbuzz appear to be shaping into a real solid get for Marquette as a program?

His basketball philosophy rather than set plays seems to be attracting some pretty awesome talent on a regular basis.

feedback