[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kahlil Mcdonald-New Marquette commit  (Read 44770 times)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Re: Kahlil Mcdonald-New Marquette commit
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »
"grade issue"....   OK, Cy, you have now opened a whole new can of worms.   WHAT grade issue?

the same grade issues that have now been discussed ad nauseum for the last 50 posts!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2009, 05:55:16 PM »
Mea Culpa... to me, 'grades' = not getting it done in the classroom.   Not getting the right # of credits is something else entirely.   The NCAA sees it differently.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2009, 06:30:54 PM »
Mea Culpa... to me, 'grades' = not getting it done in the classroom.   Not getting the right # of credits is something else entirely.   The NCAA sees it differently.

It's a little of both.  He was at a JUCO in the first place because he couldn't qualify out of Prep School.  And he went to Prep school because he couldn't qualify out of high school.  This is a kid that was originally part of the high school class of 2006, who would just be entering college in 2009.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2009, 07:14:02 PM »
It's a little of both.  He was at a JUCO in the first place because he couldn't qualify out of Prep School.  And he went to Prep school because he couldn't qualify out of high school.  This is a kid that was originally part of the high school class of 2006, who would just be entering college in 2009.

Is he worth tying up another scholarship?  I mean, one of the articles said that he is basically just a spot up shooter at this level.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2009, 08:01:50 PM »
so was steve novak for about 2 years.  albeit he is 6'10''

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2009, 07:41:42 AM »

Is he worth tying up another scholarship?  I mean, one of the articles said that he is basically just a spot up shooter at this level.

Man, can we complain about guys after we see them play at Marquette instead of based on articles we read?  I don't think having more shooters on the team can hurt.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2009, 07:58:13 AM »

Man, can we complain about guys after we see them play at Marquette instead of based on articles we read?  I don't think having more shooters on the team can hurt.

Was I complaining?  I was asking the question if people thought he was worth tying up a scholarship.  I honestly am conflicted by this because we are oversigned by one and IMO completely out of the picture for more 2010 prospects because I don't think oversigning by two is going to happen.  Is getting this guy for three years better than getting an incoming HS student for four?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2009, 08:32:57 AM »

Was I complaining?  I was asking the question if people thought he was worth tying up a scholarship.  I honestly am conflicted by this because we are oversigned by one and IMO completely out of the picture for more 2010 prospects because I don't think oversigning by two is going to happen.  Is getting this guy for three years better than getting an incoming HS student for four?
This is a question that will never be really answered, because if we take McDonald now we will never know who we would have got instead. McDonald could be a good player that is more of an insurance policy against injury or he could actually win some games with key shots. That we will only know after his career is ended. We could get one of the players we are hoping to get and they could do something stupid off court and be sent packing by Buzz. I suppose if McDonald went elsewhere we could follow him and compare him to our next commit. McDonald with a year of experienceat MU is problably going to be more effective than a freshmen the following year.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2009, 08:55:21 AM »
Ditto with Vander Blue.

Blue didn't decomitt because of what was said about him  on message boards.

If Vander Blue really cared about what was said about him, following his decomittment...he wouldn't still be considering the Badgers.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2009, 09:22:13 AM »
Seems like this year we need another excellent ball handler and passer.  Someone that can break presses, run and setup the offense and see the open man for an assist.  Kahlil McDonald doesn't fit that description.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2009, 09:30:26 AM »
Blue didn't decomitt because of what was said about him  on message boards.

If Vander Blue really cared about what was said about him, following his decomittment...he wouldn't still be considering the Badgers.

You should tell Vander Blue that.

Wisconsin decommitment a lesson for message-board miscreants

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2009, 10:06:34 AM »

And that's why Buzz gets paid the big bucks.  If McDonald does sign for this year, Buzz must believe that his signing provides us with more benefits then signing a 2010 player.  Lets not forget, he knows more about everything that relates to this team then any of us do.  I.e. We might be named with a lot of big time players for 2010 but do we have a realistic shot of getting them?  Maybe he knows someone is leaving early.  Maybe someone doesn't qualify.  Who knows.  We obviously don't so to critique this signing when we don't know the details is a bit absurd. 

My opinion on the potential signing is I don't know if its good or not because I don't know everything that is going on with the team and other legit potential recruits but I do know that I think, at this point in time, that Buzz has done a great job with building this roster and balancing the roster to boot so I tend to lean towards Buzz knows what he is doing and if he signs McDonald, its a good thing.  Of course, the upcoming season could be a disaster and my opinion of Buzz might change but right now he hasn't done anything to make me doubt his decisions.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2009, 10:22:32 AM »
Oh and one other thing.  We need to get over TC and the TC era.  His decision making was his decision making, not Buzz.  Lets not base judgements on Buzz's decision making ability on what happened during the TC era, the AL era, the Dukiet era or any other era.  Different players, different programs and different coach.  I.e. I don't care that none of TC's late signings amounted to anything as Buzz might not have signed Trend, Niv and whoever else is considered a late signing.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2009, 11:09:50 AM »
You should tell Vander Blue that.

Wisconsin decommitment a lesson for message-board miscreants

Right, but he decomitted before the message boards blew up.  He was obviously shook by the response that his decision received, but the decomittment came first.

Again, if he was really, truly concerned about it, he would have eliminated UW.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
Right, but he decomitted before the message boards blew up.  He was obviously shook by the response that his decision received, but the decomittment came first.

RTFA next time.

Once again:

The decommitment was prefaced by a story about the Madison native's alleged academic woes, which led to some Wisconsin fans spending their days publicly bashing the Class of 2010 standout on the Internet. They questioned his attitude, character and intelligence. And guess what? Vander Blue read it and it bothered him.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2009, 11:22:59 AM »
I can't believe people are ignoring the biggest impact this signing would have...He's a NYC kid...Looks like a Big East Tournament Title will soon be coming to MU!

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2009, 11:32:26 AM »
Skatastrophy...while I was slightly mixed up on my timeline, the fact still remains...if it really effected him that much, he would've eliminated UW as a possibility. Yes, it obviously shook him up, but didn't cause him to completely rule out UW.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »

Again, if he was really, truly concerned about it, he would have eliminated UW.

Wrong.

It all started with the article which mentioned if Blue didn't straighten out his acedemics he'd be attending Junoir College and not Wisconsin.  The Wisconsin board blew up about how he was stupid and that Bo was getting ready to jettison his @$$.

After that Blue called a conference to announce he was reopening his recruiting.

This was all disected ad naseum a few months ago, the posts are still around here somewhere if you want to look back and read them.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2009, 11:57:44 AM »
Wrong.

It all started with the article which mentioned if Blue didn't straighten out his acedemics he'd be attending Junoir College and not Wisconsin.  The Wisconsin board blew up about how he was stupid and that Bo was getting ready to jettison his @$$.

After that Blue called a conference to announce he was reopening his recruiting.

This was all disected ad naseum a few months ago, the posts are still around here somewhere if you want to look back and read them.

All you have to do is look up one post, and realize I caught my mistake.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2009, 12:00:46 PM »
All you have to do is look up one post, and realize I caught my mistake.

You didn't catch your mistake, I did.  Your original point was based on a faulty premise ("If Vander Blue really cared about what was said about him, following his decomittment...he wouldn't still be considering the Badgers.").  There wasn't anything said about him after he decommitted.  He decommitted because people were smack-talking about him.  After he decommitted there were just a bunch of people left on message boards blaming each other for who was smack-talking in the first place.

The fact is that it affected him to the point that he decommitted from UW and he reopened his recruitment.  That is in no way a small reaction to something whimsically posted by fans on a message board.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »
Skatastrophy...while I was slightly mixed up on my timeline, the fact still remains...if it really effected him that much, he would've eliminated UW as a possibility. Yes, it obviously shook him up, but didn't cause him to completely rule out UW.

It's not that simple.  There are factions that need to be appeased, things that need to be smoothed out etc.  Even if he planned from the day the story broke to not go to UW at all, it's in his best interest to continue mention them at least occasionally.  He's in a very delicate situation, and has to be very careful about his actions for several reasons. Flat out saying he's eliminated them at that point would be been a major disaster.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »
It's not that simple.  There are factions that need to be appeased, things that need to be smoothed out etc.  Even if he planned from the day the story broke to not go to UW at all, it's in his best interest to continue mention them at least occasionally.  He's in a very delicate situation, and has to be very careful about his actions for several reasons. Flat out saying he's eliminated them at that point would be been a major disaster.

But, do you think he decomitted based on what was said on the message board?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »
So, his handlers are handling him. I doubt Blue goes to UW or any other school in Wisconsin.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »

I'm all for a stud one-and-done. ;)

SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2009, 12:44:20 PM »
Oh and one other thing.  We need to get over TC and the TC era.  His decision making was his decision making, not Buzz.  Lets not base judgements on Buzz's decision making ability on what happened during the TC era, the AL era, the Dukiet era or any other era.  Different players, different programs and different coach.  I.e. I don't care that none of TC's late signings amounted to anything as Buzz might not have signed Trend, Niv and whoever else is considered a late signing.

So far Buzz's late signings are McMorrow and Butler. Mcmorrow's health issues render him a moot point. Butler's success gives Buzz a level of credibility in this area that TC never earned.

feedback