[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

Shaka interview by Zog from Margo
[Today at 02:08:01 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I Dislike Lance Armstrong  (Read 20061 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: I Dislike Lance Armstrong
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 05:22:35 PM »
TT, when has LA given relationship advice?  If you have a source, then great, not trying to be a dick, I thought most of his holier than stuff was how to live a physically  healthy lifestyle...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 05:28:47 PM »
His whole premise is he rides to help people with cancer.

Once his wife gets it he runs for the hills of Hollywood to bang young actresses. That seems hypocritical to me, no?  When his wife needed him more than ever he runs. The same wife who stuck with him when he cancer by the way.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »
Navin, what exactly have you done to change the world in a positive way?  Raised 10's of millions of dollars for cancer research? 

Is that a serious question? The guy raises money on the back of a drug induced string of Tour de France wins, and we are supposed to celebrate him for that? I suppose he deserves some credit for the money he raised, but what has he done to change the lives of his wife and his kids in a positive way? Money?

As far as what I've done, you tell me who you would prefer your kids to model their behavior after...

1. A guy who reaches the highest levels in his chosen sport, and gives/helps raise money for charity, uses Illegale PEDs, and cheats on/leaves his wife and children.
2. Guy who works hard for a small, growing company, gives/helps raise money for charity, spends much time with his wife and kids, and teaches them via words and example.

As to your question, what have I done to change the world in a positive way....see Number 2 above for starters.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 05:42:50 PM »

Once his wife gets it he runs for the hills of Hollywood to bang young actresses. That seems hypocritical to me, no?  When his wife needed him more than ever he runs. The same wife who stuck with him when he cancer by the way.

Can you please show me a story where it indicates she got cancer, I found no evidence of this.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 05:57:54 PM »
Hummm when I search I just get stuff about his cancer and divorcing his wife. I could swear I heard she has it. I'll search better when I get to a computer and off my phone.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 06:18:17 PM »
Hummm when I search I just get stuff about his cancer and divorcing his wife. I could swear I heard she has it. I'll search better when I get to a computer and off my phone.

Didn't Sheryl Crowe (You know, the chick he left his family for) have breast cancer? Could that be what you're thinking of? Maybe I'm wrong, but without looking, I thought she did.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 06:24:44 PM »
Navin, your hyperbole is hilarious..

1.) Lance never tested for PEDs. 
2.) He was caught with a higher than normal EPO level which is produced naturally in the body once out of 1000's of tests, yes, 1000's of drug tests from a shady French labratory.  http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Lance_Armstrong_accused_of_EPO_doping 
3.) So your marriage worked out and LA's didn't, want a medal? 
4.) Have you ever met him?  What kind of father is he? How many kids does he have?  Do him and his and son have a catch every now and again?
5.) Have proof that he cheated on his wife?  Pictures? Video?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 06:44:12 PM »
Are we really going to have the he never tested positive discussion? How many drug tests did Barry Bonds fail? Must mean he didn't take anything.

I'm sure he and Shreyl Crowe were just friends in 2003.

I know you want to believe the best about him, and don't want to believe any of these things that any reasonable person can see without really having to look. I guess I just don't understand why.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 07:03:51 PM »
I guess in your world it is easier to assume guilt, then wait and wait and wait.

I could care less about LA, I just find your logic and arguments undeniably weak.  Sure, call me naïve, but I weirdly like evidence and proof to backup my arguments.

And with that, I retire from this thread.

Peace!

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 07:17:27 PM »

no crap, sherlock.  get your facts straight.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 07:24:43 PM »
no crap, sherlock.  get your facts straight.

Straight fact: Armstrong is a giant tool.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 07:42:36 PM »
Straight fact: Armstrong is a giant tool.
   and you mon frere, as we say on the tour and phonetically for you, are an EEDEEOH.

Let me know if you need help with the translation.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 08:08:57 PM »
  and you mon frere, as we say on the tour and phonetically for you, are an EEDEEOH.

Let me know if you need help with the translation.

So you're on the tour? Get your mouth off of the man's junk, he was a mediocre cyclist until he has ball and brain cancer. Two years later and one less ball and he's the greatest ever? Completely natural?

Once he achieves his status in the world after juicing he dumps his wife for the Hollywood beef, can't have the old standard wife holding back his Hollywood status.

His bracelet sales only went to cancer research after being sold for over six months, after the initial surge of sales.

Have you read his Twitter? It makes Madison frat boys look calm and modest.

An Olsen twin? Really?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:23:21 PM by marqptm »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 08:25:33 PM »

I think he ran to the hills when his girlfriend (not wife) was out saying only use one square of toilet paper to wipe.  That would drive anyone away.   ;)

Incidentally, his wife never had cancer.  Sheryl Crow, his girlfriend, did have cancer but I think there are many reasons that relationship didn't work.  They are on opposite ends of the spectrum philosophically, politically, etc.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 08:33:34 PM »
So you're on the tour? Get your mouth off of the man's junk, he was a mediocre cyclist until he has ball and brain cancer. Two years later and one less ball and he's the greatest ever? Complety natural?

Once he achieves his status in the world after juicing he dumps his wife for the Hollywood beef, can't have the old standard wife holding back his Hollywood status.

His bracelet sales only went to cancer research after being sold for over six months, after the initial surge of sales.

Have you read his Twitter? It makes Madison frat boys look calm and modest.

An Olsen twin? Really?

And yet 4 years after retiring, he's currently in 3rd place behind his teammate and another biker, both of which have not been out of the tour as long as Lance.  How can this be true and at the same time you feel that there is no way he was not cheating back when he won so many years in a row?  

Another neat little factoid: remember the name Floyd Landis?  He was caught doping only one year after Lance's incredible run of victories.  So either Floyd was far dumber than Lance and was unable to fake out similar tests that Lance would have faked out just 1 year prior, or there is much more validity to Lance's feats than you care to admit.

I'm not saying I'd defend him to the death, but I'm pretty sure we've all heard the term "innocent until proven guilty" before.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 08:58:51 PM »
I'm not saying I'd defend him to the death, but I'm pretty sure we've all heard the term "innocent until proven guilty" before.

That phrase is misapplied.  His opinion is not a court of law.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »
True, but what worries me is that these opinions are being thrown around as facts.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 10:52:57 PM »
No one has said that he's Mother Teresa.  But, he has a right to make a living and it happens to be in a high profile profession .

So, it's inevitable that some are resentful of his success since he's getting pub, dating celebs and making big money while they jealously toil in anonymity desparately waiting for their fifteen minutes of fame.

Of course, they forget that he trains 500-700 miles a week on his bike, is the most tested athlete in the history of drug testing and has never come up dirty, took 3 1/2 years off the tour, broke his collarbone weeks before the 2009 Tour and is still sitting in 3rd place with 3 stages to go.

And, along the way, has donated millions of his earnings and raised countless additional dollars to help cancer victims.

I'd say you'd have to be damned confident having accomplished all these things.  Might even have a bit of an ego.

I doubt the ACS and the patients he has helped give a crap about his twitter.  Give us more "tools" like Armstrong please.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 07:13:29 AM »
I think he ran to the hills when his girlfriend (not wife) was out saying only use one square of toilet paper to wipe.  That would drive anyone away.   ;)

Incidentally, his wife never had cancer.  Sheryl Crow, his girlfriend, did have cancer but I think there are many reasons that relationship didn't work.  They are on opposite ends of the spectrum philosophically, politically, etc.

That must be it then. I can't find anything at all about his wife anywhere except for brief mentions of being LA's ex.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 07:52:15 AM »
So either Floyd was far dumber than Lance and was unable to fake out similar tests that Lance would have faked out just 1 year prior, or there is much more validity to Lance's feats than you care to admit.

Remember the names Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Roger Clemens...It wasn't that long ago this same conversation took place about guys like that. I didn't need to see positive drug tests to know they were using back then, just as I don't need to see one for Lance Armstrong.

Innocent until proven guilty is very important...in the legal system. Evidence other than a failed drug test is still evidence. Turns out Columbus was right, the earth is in fact round.

People are free to live in their romantic little fantasy land in which they believe he accomplished what he accomplished by simply being more dedicated and working harder than the other guys, I assume because they got duped into buying his book, saw him as some sort of role model, or whatever, and are now simply too embarrassed to admit as much to themselves or anyone else.

He cheated his way to the pinnacle of his sport, and is an undesirable human being to boot.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2009, 08:03:36 AM »
The difference is that Jordan, Gretsky, Wade, Shaq, A-Rod, etc don't proclaim themselves to be holier than thou and tell people how to live their lives. Lance Armstrong does.

LA telling you how to live your life is like Steve McNair telling you how to live your life.

this is the dumbest argument ever.

as for the ROIDS and PED's argument... PROVE IT, or shut it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2009, 08:21:20 AM »
The difference is that Jordan, Gretsky, Wade, Shaq, A-Rod, etc don't proclaim themselves to be holier than thou and tell people how to live their lives. Lance Armstrong does.

LA telling you how to live your life is like Steve McNair telling you how to live your life.

Your last comment is in poor taste, and has no relevance to your original post.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2009, 08:24:18 AM »
Your last comment is in poor taste

Why?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2009, 08:30:47 AM »

Actually, let's be honest, Jordon DID tell everybody how to live. He told us to wear hanes, wear Nikes, drink gatorade, eat at McDonald's, use Rayovac batteries, etc.

Jordan is actually the model that all other athletes follow now (including Lance).

Just because Lance's message may not be as simple as "drink gatorade" doesn't mean he's a holier than thou douche.

You may not like what Lance is saying, and the media coverage of it may bug you. I get that.

But, don't try to convince me that he is a terrible guy. I don't know him. You don't know him. Let's not pretend that we do.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2009, 08:37:19 AM »
Remember the names Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Roger Clemens...It wasn't that long ago this same conversation took place about guys like that. I didn't need to see positive drug tests to know they were using back then, just as I don't need to see one for Lance Armstrong.

The difference is that those players were never tested back then.

Lance has been tested, and found clean. Over and over again.

Once testing began in baseball, some of the big names that were suspected either retired (Bonds, McGuire) or were caught (Manny, A-Rod, Palmero, Pettit)

Honestly, I could take or leave Lance Armstrong... but some of you guys are jumping to some pretty bold conclusions.

Do you think Lebron is on PEDs? I assume you do based upon your suspicion of LA. Nobody has ever physically dominated the NBA at such a young age like Lebron.

feedback