[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big Name Teams to take a Fall in 09-10  (Read 15302 times)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Re: Big Name Teams to take a Fall in 09-10
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »
I'm in your corner here thanooj. until I get to sit down and watch the team get tested by some good non-conference opponents I'm going to remain optimistic and think that the NCAA tournament is an achievable goal. though I don't think Cubbie and Lazar are the new Chapman and Novak, though Novak and Lazar both are extremely valuable to the team. Butler is a better comparison to chapman though.

Remember in 05-06 when we lost to Winthrop and Nebraska early on? an early conference loss to Cinic wasn't great either. But we still rallied and played great ball for the rest of the season and made it to the NCAA. I think there is a lot of potential to see a similar situation this coming year, lets note the article. Pitt and UL are down as well and how much improvement have some of those bottom dwellers in the BE really made? I think we'll see some early struggles and losses that we shouldn't have but and otherwise impressive season for the team we have that puts us around the 20 win mark.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 06:12:12 PM »
Labeling an NIT season "terrible" is not quite right. This season, we may start slow and eliminate ourselves from NCAA at large consideration by mid-season. If that were to be the case and we rallied for an NIT birth and won a couple games in the NIT, it would hardly be considered "terrible."

Our previous NIT's were terrible because A) they were in consecutive years after the Final Four; B) they were years 6 and 7 of the previous regime and C) that rout in the Bradley Center to Western Michigan was absolutely putrid.

If Buzz is making back-to-back NIT appearances in years 6 and 7, it would be terrible. This year, not so much.

I guess since I have only been a Marquette fan since this decade, I do not have the perspective that others might have who have been rooting for Marquette in the years b/w Al leaving and Wade arriving, but I would still consider NIT a big disappointment. 

If we start slow and then start playing better, make the NIT, and win a few games there I would not really consider it a great season still.  If that happens this year and someone asks me about the 2010 season I would say "It was a down year, but we showed signs at the end."  The general tone would be negative. 

Making the NIT, in my opinion, means that we would not have lived up to our potential in luring quality players to MU and the players did not execute.  You do make a good point that this is Buzz's second year and it's harder to make a case about recruits with a big gap in recruiting he is getting.  Buzz will not be on the hotseat for making the NIT, but I am thinking the average MU fan will be dissapointed with the NIT no matter the context.  I think it's good to expect a lot out of the program though because men's bball does a lot to promote name recognition of our school.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 09:35:25 PM »
The tough part at this time is we have no idea what this team can or will do.  I'm optimistic for sure - but we have no idea.  Will Mbao play?  Will Junior start and be good after missing the summer?  Will Lazar be a true leader and help develop the younger players?  Will Jimmy Butler be vastly improved, and "unleashed?" 

If we work our way into the rankings this year, and get an NCAA bid, I'd be happy.  Of course, I always hope for a miracle :)

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 09:40:16 PM »
The tough part at this time is we have no idea what this team can or will do.  I'm optimistic for sure - but we have no idea.  Will Mbao play?  Will Junior start and be good after missing the summer?  Will Lazar be a true leader and help develop the younger players?  Will Jimmy Butler be vastly improved, and "unleashed?" 

If we work our way into the rankings this year, and get an NCAA bid, I'd be happy.  Of course, I always hope for a miracle :)

Which is why I have no expectations for next year...there are just too many unknowns.

I wouldnt expect to get anything out of Mbao. Anyone thinking any differently is just asking to be frustrated...like with COT last year.