[Today at 02:41:31 PM]

Incoming freshmen by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 02:30:27 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 08:19:01 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[Today at 06:23:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hello Marq Fan  (Read 21193 times)

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
Hello Marq Fan
« on: June 13, 2009, 06:32:30 PM »
What is happening Eagle Nation, I am an IU man and I have been lurking here for several months trying to gather why some here despise TC so much.  And as of yet I really cant figure it out, outside the fact he left on short notice.

I can tell you this IU fans are thrilled to have Tom C in Bloomington.  After years of Mike Davis and Kelvin S, TC is a breath of fresh air.

I have been reading here lately that TC can't recruite?  He may have not done a good job at Marq. but at IU he is really getting it done.  The 09 class is top 10 nationally and IU is in the lead for Kyrie Irving, Marques Teague, and Moses Morgan.  With Matt Carlino already wrapped up for 2011.

I am posting because I really cant understand the venom "some" at this site have toward TC, he has nothing but good things to say about Marq, the town, the players, and the fans.  I think he is a good man who demands a lot out of his players......  and after growing up with Bob Knight I would have it no other way.

I am not posting to stir up a pissing match but I like this board and if I don't get banned for accusations of trolling I will hang around.  I am an old Al MCG fan..... :)

go Hoosiers
"I better walk before they make me run"

Warriors4ever

• All American
Re: Hello Marq Fan
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 06:38:45 PM »
If you've  been reading this board as you say you have and aren't simply trolling then you know very well why people were upset with II, II, who couldn't be bothered to tell his beloved players or administration he was leaving.  So please don't start this up again.  The vast majority of us are in the I don't care mode.  I'd like to keep it that way.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 06:54:19 PM »
The man was an absolute prick of a person  and absolutely overated as a coach and recruiter.  Shameless self promotion has you IU fans all warm and fuzzy during the honeymoon period...as time goes by you will better understand why Mu fans are happy you have him and not us.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 06:56:36 PM »
If you ignore the posters MR.HAYWARD,4everwarriors, & PuertoRicanNightmare you will see most of us are happy with the success TC brought, but fairly disappointed how he left (in the cover of darkness with ESPN telling his 4 starting seniors he left to IU).

Yes he is salesman, yes he is egotistical, and yes he knows how to recruit. His coaching is still fairly up in the air, seemed to over-coach at times.

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 07:01:24 PM »
The man was an absolute prick of a person  and absolutely overated as a coach and recruiter.  Shameless self promotion has you IU fans all warm and fuzzy during the honeymoon period...as time goes by you will better understand why Mu fans are happy you have him and not us.

wrong....  hard work has us warm and fuzzy...  He is recruiting his ass off!  What did this man do to all of you here?  He got you to a final 4, he brought you to the Big East, and he did recruite the loaded team you had last season.  I can understand being pissed because he left, but calling him a prick as a person?  Many of you come off here as simply bitter.  Don't hate the player, hate the game.....  It is Indiana after all! :)

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 07:04:34 PM »
If you ignore the posters MR.HAYWARD,4everwarriors, & PuertoRicanNightmare you will see most of us are happy with the success TC brought, but fairly disappointed how he left (in the cover of darkness with ESPN telling his 4 starting seniors he left to IU).

Yes he is salesman, yes he is egotistical, and yes he knows how to recruit. His coaching is still fairly up in the air, seemed to over-coach at times.

I will agree with this, he did some puzzling thngs at the end of games last season.  But all in all, with what he had I was pleased.  If IU had a PG on the roster that could handle the ball they would have won 4 or 5 more games.

I would like to see Crean and Buzz get a home and home going!!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 07:17:33 PM »
Home and home will NEVER happen.

TC and Buzz are good friends and TC knows that  even though he had 9 pretty good years here his reception at the BC would be chilly to say the least because of the way he left.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 07:20:22 PM »
Agreed MuMark, as many would say...Too soon!!

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 07:44:22 PM »
The 2 reasons for the hatred from MU fans:
1) the way he left, which I personally got over a long time ago.
2) trying to lure Erik Williams (an MU verbally committed recruit due to the work of Buzz Williams when he was an assistant) to IU - a classless move on his part.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 07:46:11 PM »
If you've been reading then you know that your class is ranked top 10 and ours is at worst top 15 (at best #1).  TC left MU b/c IU was a better job.  I agree.  But I for one at shocked that with all that PT that he couldn't crack a top 5 class.  Your boy is over-rated.  We did a little better in the coaching merry-go-round.

Calipari, right or wrong is showing you how a real coach recruits when given a top 5 opportunity.

At the end of the day...TC is a really good coach for a school like MU; a really mediocre coach for a school like IU.  Too bad you red-neck hicks ran Davis out b/c his skin was a little darker than your preferred.  
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 07:52:22 PM »
C&C, this is a pointless thread because whatever anyone says it's obvious you're going to vehemently defend TC. We don't care about Tom Crean here. We're all sick of these threads. Leave it alone.

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 08:10:38 PM »
If you've been reading then you know that your class is ranked top 10 and ours is at worst top 15 (at best #1).  TC left MU b/c IU was a better job.  I agree.  But I for one at shocked that with all that PT that he couldn't crack a top 5 class.  Your boy is over-rated.  We did a little better in the coaching merry-go-round.

Calipari, right or wrong is showing you how a real coach recruits when given a top 5 opportunity.

At the end of the day...TC is a really good coach for a school like MU; a really mediocre coach for a school like IU.  Too bad you red-neck hicks ran Davis out b/c his skin was a little darker than your preferred.  

Red neck hicks, and calling me (IU fan racists)....  hmmmmmm  .....  so classy ;)  Well as far a coach Cal goes I think ANYONE  who has a clue as to what was going on at Memphis and what is going on at UK knows that WWW is the reason for all of the phenomenal recruiting success of Cal in recent years.  And that is something that cannot be denied.  If Crean wanted to associate with "go betweens" to kids then I guarantee you IU would have had a top 3 class.....

IU cannot just to and offer "any" player,  we are in ARP trouble thanks to all the idiots KS let run wild and Story and Williams did not help.  IU is fine right now but truthfully "one and dones" if we could land them are not really the best option right now.... 

And Marq does have a great class coming in but who has it ranked 1???  C'mon now..  Indiana is all over Irving and Teague and should land them....  add Carlino in 2011 and IU WILL be back to a top 5 squad.

By the way no need to be so hateful, it is just basketball.....

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 08:11:10 PM »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 08:12:07 PM »

Haywood, what a truly ignorant post.

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 08:18:05 PM »
C&C, this is a pointless thread because whatever anyone says it's obvious you're going to vehemently defend TC. We don't care about Tom Crean here. We're all sick of these threads. Leave it alone.

that's cool, just don't click it then........  I simply am trying to get a different perspective that the one I get daily on the IU board.  But you may be right, I think I will get nothing here (for the most part) but insults...  oh well. :(

Some of you have been polite and I thank you.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »
My dislike of the departed has nothing to do with the method in which he chose to leave. In short, he's an egotistical, overrated phony who cares first, foremost, and only about Tom Crean. He should kiss DWade's toes each night for the position in life he now enjoys. Believe it or not CNC, you and other Hoosier faithful won't be singing his praises in about 4 years. He's a masterful used car salesman whose snakeoil act gets old real fast, especially for those of us who readily see through it. Oh, BTW, don't count on all those recruits wearing the Hoosier uni, Crean won't deliver.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:40:48 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 08:36:11 PM »
I hope not ;)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 08:39:12 PM »
Red neck hicks, and calling me (IU fan racists)....  hmmmmmm  .....  so classy ;)  Well as far a coach Cal goes I think ANYONE  who has a clue as to what was going on at Memphis and what is going on at UK knows that WWW is the reason for all of the phenomenal recruiting success of Cal in recent years.  And that is something that cannot be denied.  If Crean wanted to associate with "go betweens" to kids then I guarantee you IU would have had a top 3 class.....

IU cannot just to and offer "any" player,  we are in ARP trouble thanks to all the idiots KS let run wild and Story and Williams did not help.  IU is fine right now but truthfully "one and dones" if we could land them are not really the best option right now.... 

And Marq does have a great class coming in but who has it ranked 1???  C'mon now..  Indiana is all over Irving and Teague and should land them....  add Carlino in 2011 and IU WILL be back to a top 5 squad.

By the way no need to be so hateful, it is just basketball.....

Something tells me Self recruited better to KU and Williams to UNC.  You do realize you have a top 5 job.. why is your boy bringing in +/- top 10 talent with all that PT?

How you didn't have the #1 class is beyond me.  It's Indiana.  That's the one true thing TC ever said.

PS like him or not HoopScoop has our incoming class #1.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 08:50:18 PM »
CNC:

Disagree as this is not a pointless thread at all.  "We don't care about Tom Crean here / sick of threads" is 95% incorrect.  TC constantly comes up in thread after thread here.

So, indeed, many here were / are disgusted with how Crean left.  After relentlessly promoting "ownership" and "family" Crean was generally rewarded for this (by most) as a king.  His leaving was a dagger, but what was indeed interesting was how quickly the reverence turned to abject hatred.

From an IU perspective, that probably sounds like jilted lover syndrome.  So disregard that.

No doubt, IU can expect and will receive many good things from Crean:  Good graduation rates, clean program, mostly superb alumni relations, excellent marketing of your program.   

But there are things to watch for.

While promoting IU, he will be promoting himself.  The truth is, his personal PR is better than the reality of his recruiting, development, and coaching.

Your post-season dreams will mostly go unfulfilled.  In 9 seasons at MU, Crean took MU to 5 NCAAs, 3 NITs.  5 of those 8 were one-and-dones.   2 had one victory (one of those was a NIT year), 1 of course, was a Final Four with D. Wade, one of the best players alive in the NBA.  Without Wade, Crean had a total of one NCAA victory.  One -- and keep in mind, that one victory NCAA victory, those one-and-dones were with teams that had finished in the top 25.

The last 3 years of Crean's tenure, each year, the natives got more restless with the lack of any sort of March victory.

I really believe that Crean's coaching abilities had topped out at Marquette.  As I said, you'll be happy with many items Crean brings to the table.   I'll bet he gets you to an NCAA berth in 2 years.

But in 6-7 years, IU fans will look back with your 1 NCAA victory and a string of one-and-dones, and think, man, those Marquette guys told me so.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 08:54:19 PM »
Crimson, you are a regular on at least one of the Indiana boards in which there have been raging discussions about this matter(you are not the only person who lurks).  I think you knew exactly what type of reaction your post would cause.  If you want to discuss basketball, please feel free.  But to say innocently that you didn't intend to spark anything is, frankly, unbelievable.  Must not have much to do this summer.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »
Tom Crean did great things for Marquette which allowed many to overlook his large ego.

I don't think anyone would have been upset had Crean simply given heads up to his players and the administration. Crean had reached his peak at MU and no one could blame him if he left for a program with the history of IU.

Instead he left in the middle of the night allowing his players to find out via Sportscenter.

So I thank Crean for everything he did at Marquette but he can F off now. Also I have to enjoy the struggles he his having now because in a few years IU will be good again. Probably not good enough to please the IU faithful but NCAA tourny good.   

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 09:25:18 PM »
Without Wade, Crean had a total of one NCAA victory. 

You mean without Robert Jackson.  A Wade-led team lost in the first round in 2002.  And everyone remembers Wade's triple double against Kentucky, but forgets that Jackson put up 24/15 in that game.

It amazes me to this day that his most prominent success was with a definitive post threat and an outstanding guard, and yet it seems that Crean almost refuses to recruit a dominant big man.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »
TC was a good coach and was good for MU.  He was a great promoter of MU, a good coach, ran a very clean program and could recruit guards very well when he had playing time to sell but he does have a lot of warts.

Here is a small list of negative things that he accomplished:

1.  Alienated MU's all-time scorer (before McNeal) and radio announcer George Thompson
2.  Rarely had an assistant last more then 2 years
3.  Rarely made it past the first round of the NCAA tourny
4.  Coached great in November but mediocre in March
5.  Provided us with one too many strange injuries that might or might not have involved tackling dummies
6.  Provided some of worst defeats ever including an NIT home game against Western Michigan where I don't believe we broke 50 and a Louisville game where we lost by 40 plus
7.  Couldn't recruit a big with skills that wasn't extremely raw and most had disappointing playing careers
8.  Provided us with enough player transfers that could last another decade.  I believe we had 2 complete washout classes.
9.  Would always gamble on a late late signing after a transfer and they never ever were worth it
10. Got into it with opposing fans on more then one occassion that showed how much of a prick he really was

You guys were able to tolerate Bobby Knight who was one of the biggest pricks around so maybe TC is right up your alley.  All in all, I appreciate what he did at MU as he did do a lot of good things but I am not sad to see him go.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 09:30:49 PM »
It amazes me to this day that his most prominent success was with a definitive post threat and an outstanding guard, and yet it seems that Crean almost refuses to recruit a dominant big man.

+1

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 09:49:08 PM »
TC is still a very young man, he can learn from his mistakes....  and I am sure he will.   As far as not bringing in bigs, IU has Tom Pritchard 6-9 returning and in 09 Bawa Muniru 7' monster w (offers from Lou, Okla, Okla St, Kentucky, and Auburn) D. Elston 6-8, Bobby Capobianco 6-8, and Christian Watford 6-8.............

Things are going to be OK at IU.  

When we land Irving and or Teague it is on once again in Hoosier land.  And I expect both will sign, however they may both be one and done's..... :(

feedback