Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hello Marq Fan  (Read 21128 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Hello Marq Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2009, 01:25:48 PM »
Who is denying Crean could have followed both Indiana and MU?

People are questioning...and for some reason you're defending...the fact that his statements at both press conferences were almost identical.

Don't a lot of coaches give the same kind of rah rah acceptance speech?

Think about it this way:

You could substitute MU for IU in Crean's speech, but you couldn't also substitute Crean's name with about 50 other coaches who probably gave a similar "I remember the tradition of this program" type speeches?

I know you will never give Crean a free pass on anything... but seriously, he's like most every other head coach out there. I don't know why you are so outraged with this type of stuff.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:27:34 PM by 2002mualum »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2009, 02:53:01 PM »
I guess you're just not smart enough to have remembered Al McGuire or Bobby Knight.

Funny--I grew up the exact same time as you and can still remember growing up and hearing about MU & McGuire, IU & Knight and UCLA & Wooden. 

But don't put your failings on anyone else.  Just because you have a bad memory doesn't mean everyone does.

I'm just curious--on the day you were hired, did you tell your boss the names of other companies you respected and would love to go work for?

Um, just because I didn't put it in teal doesn't mean it wasn't sarcastic. Are you really that naive to believe that I could have attended Marquette at the same time as you, lucky enough to break bread with McGuire and I don't know who McGuire and Knight were?
But, you had previously said that b) ALL intro press conferences are bs, yet you also said that b) Crean was genuine in both of his. My logic course at MU taught me that both a and b cannot both be true, so pick one.

Oh yeah my other schools that I applied to? UCLA, Duke and UNC. Could you help me and let me know if any of those schools had good coaches, since I don't know anything about basketball?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2009, 04:04:19 PM »

Oh yeah my other schools that I applied to? UCLA, Duke and UNC. Could you help me and let me know if any of those schools had good coaches, since I don't know anything about basketball?

Depends when you applied.   :D   Farmer was dreadful at UCLA and Lavin not much better.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »
Um, just because I didn't put it in teal doesn't mean it wasn't sarcastic. Are you really that naive to believe that I could have attended Marquette at the same time as you, lucky enough to break bread with McGuire and I don't know who McGuire and Knight were?

I truly don't get your position--you seem genuinely offended when I said you didn't know about or follow Al McGuire and Bobby Knight while growing up.  

So fine, I'll accept that you do remember both Knight & McGuire and they made an impression on you.

Has it sunk in yet that my point is since YOU remember, it is hardly "complete BS" for Crean to have the exact same memory?

But, you had previously said that b) ALL intro press conferences are bs, yet you also said that b) Crean was genuine in both of his. My logic course at MU taught me that both a and b cannot both be true, so pick one.

No, I didn't say any such thing.  

If you're going to quote me, you might as well get it right.  Here's the exact quote:
"If saying things that make a team's fans happy is evidence of lying, then every single coach in America--every single one of them--is a liar."

I'm glad you studied logic--this should make it easier.

Notice the word "If" at the very start of the sentence.  Notice the word "then" in the middle.  Does the "If . . .Then" construct bring back any of those memories of logic class?  It should.  

This is a simple and straightforward IF-THEN statement.

Substituting:
A= "saying things that make a team's fans happy is evidence of lying"
B= "every single coach in America--every single one of them--is a liar"

What I said was  "If A, Then B"

I did NOT say "B", as you claim I did.  

In the years 1974 through 77?  Sure.  UCLA and UNC were good.  Duke wasn't (missing the tournament every year from 1967 through 1977).

Oh, wait!  You forgot to put that in teal as well.  Silly me.

So my serious answer is:  Great--you DO know basketball.  You DO remember the great teams of the era.

What I don't get is why you can't see how Tom Crean might remember.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:17:15 PM by Marquette84 »

feedback