[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Urban Myth or Not?  (Read 7921 times)

lurch91

• All American
Urban Myth or Not?
« on: May 27, 2009, 08:38:27 AM »
Ok, my wife's been telling me this is an urban myth, and that I'm just spreading it for my own sake.

When I was doing my Shadow Weekend back in 1987, I stayed with in McCormick and hung out with a few guys that were telling me about the MU nightlife.  One of them said that in an issue of Playboy, where they ranked the top partyschools, they had put a disclaimer in one issue during the mid-80's that read something like (I'm paraphasing);

"We are no longer ranking Marquette University in the top party schools as we don't want to mix the professionals with the ametuers."

Again, my wife thinks this is an urban myth that I'm perpetuating.  I honestly don't know if one of the guys was pulling my leg or not, but that's what I was told.  After four and a half years at MU, I'd also believe if this were true.

Anyone know if there's any truth to it?

bma725

• All American
Re: Urban Myth or Not?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:43:21 AM »
Urban myth that comes up every few years but is totally false.  Playboy never said anything like that, and MU has never made any of their top party school lists.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:01:28 AM »
Playboy just doesn't remember the nights they spend at Marquette!   ;D

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:18:23 AM »
http://www.snopes.com/college/admin/playboy.asp

Gentle souls that they are, <I>Playboy</I> did its best to take the sting out of being left off the January 1987 compilation by stating, "If your school isn't listed, it's probably because we didn't include professionals."

So they didn't say that about Marquette.  They said that about every school that they didn't list in their 1987 Top 40 list.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »
I am about 95% sure we were listed in Playboy as having the most bars per capita of any college in the mid-80's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 11:22:27 AM »
I am about 95% sure we were listed in Playboy as having the most bars per capita of any college in the mid-80's.

That's because you can say that about Milwaukee in general.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 12:26:46 PM »
I'm also sure that either Murphs or Caffs was named Playboy's bar of the month a couple years ago

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »
I'm also sure that either Murphs or Caffs was named Playboy's bar of the month a couple years ago

That was Murphs.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 08:43:19 PM »
I wonder how much it costs for an honor like that because there is no doubt it isn't the greatest spot...even on campus. 

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 01:33:14 AM »
there's something in that link about Madison being named "the party school" in the sixties, primarily b/c they served beer in the student union. correct me if i'm mistaken, but didn't MU do that as well?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 05:43:51 AM »
At the Mugrack, you could purchase a mug, just like at Murf's.   According to one of my poli sci profs, when the drinking age was 18,  students would purchase pitchers at the Mugrack and bring them to class sometimes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 06:42:59 AM »
If you've spent any time at all at MU, it would be obvious why Playboy isn't interested.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 08:21:13 AM »
At the Mugrack, you could purchase a mug, just like at Murf's.   According to one of my poli sci profs, when the drinking age was 18,  students would purchase pitchers at the Mugrack and bring them to class sometimes.   

That went over better on late afternoon or night classes, especially if you brought a pile of cups...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 09:20:25 AM »

Ussually we would just order the 3buck 32 oz in a 32 oz Coke (when Marquette had the real thing) cup
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »
Ussually we would just order the 3buck 32 oz in a 32 oz Coke (when Marquette had the real thing) cup

Exactly!  With the lid and straw.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 11:23:07 AM »
If you've spent any time at all at MU, it would be obvious why Playboy isn't interested.

Too soon.

Actually after spending four years on campus the talent level of the biscuits (whoever used that term first on here; I love it) has increased considerably. Oh to live in McCormick again.  

I actually debated this with a few friends awhile back while in cobeen dining hall. its not that MU has less delicious biscuits (again thank you) but larger schools have a bigger sample size. While 10% (arbitrary %) of girls at MU would be considered "hot" thats only about 450 girls. At schools where there are more than 30k people...do the math

except girls in SEC schools... that's just unfair.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:32:45 AM by Ari Gold »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »

+1
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 12:19:23 PM »
Too soon.

Actually after spending four years on campus the talent level of the biscuits (whoever used that term first on here; I love it) has increased considerably. Oh to live in McCormick again.  

I actually debated this with a few friends awhile back while in cobeen dining hall. its not that MU has less delicious biscuits (again thank you) but larger schools have a bigger sample size. While 10% (arbitrary %) of girls at MU would be considered "hot" thats only about 450 girls. At schools where there are more than 30k people...do the math

Always been partial to Pac-10 girls.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 12:24:38 PM »
Too soon.

ari, you're welcome.   8-)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 12:28:46 PM »
I wonder how much it costs for an honor like that because there is no doubt it isn't the greatest spot...even on campus. 

Meh.  That "best bar on campus" cycles around every couple years.  Murphs owned Caffs as recently as 4-5 years ago.

I think that it has to do with the outgoing Seniors continuing to come to campus and filling up a particular bar.  After a certain amount of time the old 'cool' bar turns into the 'uncool alumni bar' so all the young kids head for another place making that the 'cool' spot for the next couple years.... not that I've over-thought this or anything :(

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 03:29:11 PM »
Murphs was much cooler than Caffs when I was of legal drinking age and until I moved from Milwaukee...

2002-2006

Chili

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »
Murphs was much cooler than Caffs when I was of legal drinking age and until I moved from Milwaukee...

2002-2006

That is because Caff's was Cum Shots (2001 and before) before that, the Gym Bar before that, and I think (correct me if I am wrong) The Ardmore before that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »
Murph's and Caff's are both for the Chads and Trixies.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Murph's and Caff's are both for the Chads and Trixies.

Don't you have to go a Big Ten school to be one though?

feedback