[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Urban Myth or Not?  (Read 7923 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Urban Myth or Not?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 03:51:56 PM »
That is because Caff's was Cum Shots (2001 and before) before that, the Gym Bar before that, and I think (correct me if I am wrong) The Ardmore before that.

You are correct sir.  The Gym Bar was located on on the south side of Wells, almost to 17th Street before that.

The Ardmore provided the easiest way to get around the drinking age.  They never checked IDs at lunch, so we would go in for lunch on Fridays, drink all afternoon, and when their happy hour specials started and they cracked down on the underage drinkers, we were already in the place.  They also had import nights on Wednesday nights, which caused all sorts of noise on Thursday mornings when you lived on the 4th floor of McCormick right above 16th street.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 03:54:56 PM »
The Gym Bar was located on on the south side of Wells, almost to 17th Street before that.

They also had import nights on Wednesday nights.

Ahhhh...two very fond memories.  The Gym before it moved (including a pre-ND game party at 7:00 on a Saturday morning) and Import Night at the Ardmore.  Good times.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 04:02:36 PM »
Ahhhh...two very fond memories.  The Gym before it moved (including a pre-ND game party at 7:00 on a Saturday morning)

Would that have been the ND game just before finals in 1989-90 where we actually rushed the court because we were so desperate for a big victory?  The after party at my apartment almost destroyed the place and almost caused the breakup of my girlfriend (now wife) and I.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 05:34:27 PM »
Would that have been the ND game just before finals in 1989-90 where we actually rushed the court because we were so desperate for a big victory?

That would be the one.  Sad that our "big victory" was against an ND team that had a losing record at the time.  Oh well, when we sucked that bad we had to take our "big victories" where we could find them.  Whenever I hear people complain about early exits in the NCAAs, I just remind myself that I once stormed the court after Marquette won a home game against a team with a losing record.  Puts things into perspective for me.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 06:46:31 PM »
"I am about 95% sure we were listed in Playboy as having the most bars per capita of any college in the mid-80's."

Actually it was in USA Today, I still carry the very worn clip in my wallet and MU was tied with Skidmore College.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 01:46:30 AM »
there's something in that link about Madison being named "the party school" in the sixties, primarily b/c they served beer in the student union. correct me if i'm mistaken, but didn't MU do that as well?

Not in the late '60s, when I was there (Class of 1971). When I entered MU in 1967, there was a county option on the drinking age. Milwaukee was 21, and there was no beer in the union that I recall. Dane County was 18, and I vividly remember, on more than one occasion, trudging down to the Badger bus terminal on Fridays and riding the bus to Madison and drinking for a few hours, then catching the last bus back about midnight or so. Chesty's was my State Street hang out. (Obviously didn't drink enough if I can remember the name of the bar 42 years later, although the guy who had to clean up the back of the bus probably would disagree.)

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 10:08:48 AM »
That would be the one.  Sad that our "big victory" was against an ND team that had a losing record at the time.  Oh well, when we sucked that bad we had to take our "big victories" where we could find them.  Whenever I hear people complain about early exits in the NCAAs, I just remind myself that I once stormed the court after Marquette won a home game against a team with a losing record.  Puts things into perspective for me.

Absolutely agree about this one.  I actually made the cover of the monthly MU magazine rushing the court.  Dollar Import night was great, except on my 21st birthday...  No pretty.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 10:22:13 AM »
It was actually The 'Lanche that started import night around '83.  The 'Lanche had buck imports on Thursday night.  The Ardmore started their import night on Wed. a couple of years later.