collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Blackhawks  (Read 16311 times)

robmufan

• All American
Re: Blackhawks
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 09:51:16 AM »
Anyone have thoughts on the possible matchup for the hawks?

Im on the fence about this one...each brings a different flavor.  Sure the blackhawks only won 2 games v Det but if you look at last year, they dominated them!

A knock on DET all year was crappy goaltending, Osgood is not young anymore!  Hiller has shown to be amazing this year in the playoffs, but Luongo was touted as one of the best...and the Hawks made him look below average!

I think the Hawks can skate with DET but it would be a better matchup with ANA because of the Home Ice.

Looks like the Hawks get another few days off, and they needed it!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2009, 12:54:50 PM »
Anyone have thoughts on the possible matchup for the hawks?

Im on the fence about this one...each brings a different flavor.  Sure the blackhawks only won 2 games v Det but if you look at last year, they dominated them!

A knock on DET all year was crappy goaltending, Osgood is not young anymore!  Hiller has shown to be amazing this year in the playoffs, but Luongo was touted as one of the best...and the Hawks made him look below average!

I think the Hawks can skate with DET but it would be a better matchup with ANA because of the Home Ice.

Looks like the Hawks get another few days off, and they needed it!

Anaheim has the best road record I think of any team in the NHL.  Hiller is a stud, but Detroit better skaters.  Osgood is their weak link.

I think we (the Ducks) look tired and from that standpoint you may want the Ducks but I don't think home ice will make that much of a difference.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 01:11:12 PM »
Anaheim has the best road record I think of any team in the NHL.  Hiller is a stud, but Detroit better skaters.  Osgood is their weak link.

I think we (the Ducks) look tired and from that standpoint you may want the Ducks but I don't think home ice will make that much of a difference.

According to this article......No Wings, just Ducks.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2009/05/just-say-no-to-the-red-wings.html

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 01:17:35 PM »
Anything can happen.   Hiller reminds me of Eddie Belfour 10-15 years ago, singlehandedly keeping his team in the game and possibly stealing a series.   Osgood isn't a weak link, per se, (near the top in career playoff wins and has multiple cups), but he has rarely been able to steal a series on his own.   2 goals on 28 shots, one a rebound, one a deflection, neither one weak.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2009, 07:45:04 AM »
The Blackhawks made nice adjustments between games 1 and 2.  'bulin got it going and the 'hawks actually outshot Detroit for most of the game.   We can put to rest the cliche that Osgood isn't good enough.   19 shots in the first period?   Well played, but you guys couldn't break through like you needed to.   I am worried about the Wings, however.   For the last few games, they have been content to skate fast and shoot from distance.   Rarely are they setting someone up in the crease to get in the goalie's way and get rebounds and deflections.   It was how we got the series winner against the Ducks and it is how you  guys scored last night.  Detroit isn't doing it enough right now.  Holmstrom is invisible.    Hopefully, Babcock remnds them of this. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2009, 08:28:19 AM »
Hawks did a great job crashing the net last night...it's a shame they couldn't pull out the W in overtime.  Good adjustments...look for them to stick cleary in game 3...he's been the hawk-killer.  Hope for the best - Detroit is a well oiled machine.

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2009, 08:47:32 AM »
Don't think the Wings have shown the Blackhawks their best game... yet.  I doubt they will advance over the Wings this year, but the Blackhawks are a very impressive young team.  Clearly the Blackhawk star is ascending.

And while I love my Wings, the Blackhawks have the best sweaters in hockey.  Unique and colorful, yet tasteful at the same time.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »
Great game to watch last night.  The Wings are scary good and are a great example of what can happen when a talented team skates together for a few years.  Obviously a must win on Friday...the UC will be jumpin again...hope it's enough.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2009, 07:24:59 PM »
What's going on....we tired the Wings out for you guys, you had all the rest and nothing so far?  Come on, show up!!  No such thing as moral victories.  Put the biscuit in the basket.  Let's go!!

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »
Yes...you'd think the wings would be tired.  But these guys are so damn good...it's like they get stronger as the game progresses..
those fecking wings >:(

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2009, 12:12:08 AM »
Yes...you'd think the wings would be tired.  But these guys are so damn good...it's like they get stronger as the game progresses..
those fecking wings >:(

As most of my Wings friends said, "the team that scares us most are the Ducks".   Most of them think they are going to walk into the Cup finals.  I guess we'll see.  Game 3 is huge.

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »
As most of my Wings friends said, "the team that scares us most are the Ducks".

i'll have to assume that your wings friends are hard-core drug-users.

yes, it's hard not to be scared when you play a team named the "ducks" at the "pond".  plus, their veteran players have scary names like "teemu selanne" - is that a hockey name  or  a mixed drink u order in west hollywood?

but seriously now, that jonas hiller was great...that kid stood on his head.  go hawks!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »
Datsyuk may not play due to a sore foot.   Advantage Hawks.   Detroit is up 2-0 without getting much from Franzen, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom.    Advantage Wings.   Maltby is going to play.   Advantage Wings.   The UC is going to be insane.   Advantage Hawks.   My prediction, this is the game the Hawks win.   Go Wings. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2009, 09:42:35 PM »
I know this thread is for the Hawks-Wings series but...

Malkin's third goal tonight was SICK!

Go Pens.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2009, 11:13:32 PM »
i'll have to assume that your wings friends are hard-core drug-users.

yes, it's hard not to be scared when you play a team named the "ducks" at the "pond".  plus, their veteran players have scary names like "teemu selanne" - is that a hockey name  or  a mixed drink u order in west hollywood?

but seriously now, that jonas hiller was great...that kid stood on his head.  go hawks!

No, they just know their hockey.  Ducks, at the end of the year, were one of the top teams in the NHL plus the Ducks give the Wings absolute fits (as we did this year again).  That's why they were fearful of the Ducks.  Remember, they are one year removed from being the Stanley Cup champions and went to the finals twice in this decade (losing in game 7 to the Devils a few years ago).  The Ducks have had a LOT more success then the Hawks in the last decade.  In fact, since 2003, only ONE team has a better record then the Ducks....the Wings.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »

Was a big fan of his and actually pissed we traded him for the junker Pauhlsen (sp?)

You obviously have not watched the Hawks since the trade deadline or you know nothing about hockey.  I will err on the former.

Sammy filled a huge gap for us since we acquired him.  He is doing exactly what is expected of him.  Hockey is a more intricate game than just scoring.

The assist on the game winner on Friday and the goal on Friday are icing on the cake.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »
My prediction of the Wings in 5 is looking pretty good right now and it's only 12 minutes into the 2nd period of game 4.  What a route in this game so far.

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2009, 07:28:48 PM »
No, they just know their hockey.  Ducks, at the end of the year, were one of the top teams in the NHL plus the Ducks give the Wings absolute fits (as we did this year again).  That's why they were fearful of the Ducks.  Remember, they are one year removed from being the Stanley Cup champions and went to the finals twice in this decade (losing in game 7 to the Devils a few years ago).  The Ducks have had a LOT more success then the Hawks in the last decade.  In fact, since 2003, only ONE team has a better record then the Ducks....the Wings.

And I quote Mike Ditka, "Losers live in the past."  As a hawks fans and a realist...I am more concerned about the future than the past...and the hawks have one hell of a future in front of them.  Ducks and wings...not so much. 

The kids on the hawks are gaining great experience and the Stanley Cup will return to the Chi a few times in the next decade.  Former owner, Bill Wirtz, tried his damnedest to destroy the franchise.  New manager, Dale Talon, has worked wonders for the franchise.  The hawks have moved to the top of the NHL much quicker than anyone thought...including I.

The fate of the duck and wing is no different than the states they reside in...bleak.  Go hawks!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2009, 08:10:30 PM »
I made the  'wings in 5' prediction while we were still playing the ducks.    Anyway, no Datsyuk or Lidstrom and Detroit squeaked it out anyway.   Chicago is still a couple of years away.   They just need to stay together and maybe find one more veteran with his name already on the cup to guide them to the promised land.     

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2009, 08:58:34 PM »
I made the  'wings in 5' prediction while we were still playing the ducks.    Anyway, no Datsyuk or Lidstrom and Detroit squeaked it out anyway.   Chicago is still a couple of years away.   They just need to stay together and maybe find one more veteran with his name already on the cup to guide them to the promised land.     
[/quote

Wondering how a 6-1 game qualifies as "squeaked it out anyway?" Or are you just being polite?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »
And I quote Mike Ditka, "Losers live in the past."  As a hawks fans and a realist...I am more concerned about the future than the past...and the hawks have one hell of a future in front of them.  Ducks and wings...not so much. 

The kids on the hawks are gaining great experience and the Stanley Cup will return to the Chi a few times in the next decade.  Former owner, Bill Wirtz, tried his damnedest to destroy the franchise.  New manager, Dale Talon, has worked wonders for the franchise.  The hawks have moved to the top of the NHL much quicker than anyone thought...including I.

The fate of the duck and wing is no different than the states they reside in...bleak.  Go hawks!

Great players will always want to play for the Wings as much as I hate to say that.  As for the Ducks, they have a wonderful organization they have built in only 15 years....two Cup visits, one title, only one of 5 other teams to go to the playoffs 4 straight years.  They're long in the tooth in some areas but have one of the best lines in the NHL and a fantastic goalie.  I like our future as well as many NHL players don't mine coming down to live near the beach and Disneyland to play professional hockey.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2009, 06:56:20 AM »
'squeaked it out' = irony.   The Hawks are a good young team.   The Red Wings are a machine.   It used to be they just bought the best team.   Now with the salary cap, they are identifying and locking their stars up early.   They are trying to win with the all of the talent in front of an adequate goaltender.  Osgood is only making $1.2 mil this year, a relative bargain.   And because of the way the Wings scout and develop players, you have unknowns like Helm, Hudler making contributions.    On a related note, I loved seeing Chelios out there yesterday in a conference final against Chicago.   

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2009, 08:36:13 AM »
Tower912, concur completely.

Credit to Ken Holland for identifying that talent. (And thanks to Mr. Ilitch for his support, that extends to the Tigers, too.)

I had an "uh oh" moment yesterday when they announced Lidstrom wouldn't play, on top of Datsyuk and Draper being out.  Then quickly realized that with the Wings' depth, it probably wouldn't matter. As Rosenberg wrote in the Freep:  When the Red Wings' stars are injured, they turn to ... other stars.

Blackhawks are a talented team and it will be fun to watch how they develop over the next few seasons.  Though yesterday they were defeated as much by their own emotions as by the Wings.  And if you want to talk irony... Probert dropping the opening puck.   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2009, 11:32:49 AM »
'squeaked it out' = irony.   The Hawks are a good young team.   The Red Wings are a machine.   It used to be they just bought the best team.   Now with the salary cap, they are identifying and locking their stars up early.   They are trying to win with the all of the talent in front of an adequate goaltender.  Osgood is only making $1.2 mil this year, a relative bargain.   And because of the way the Wings scout and develop players, you have unknowns like Helm, Hudler making contributions.    On a related note, I loved seeing Chelios out there yesterday in a conference final against Chicago.   

I hate Chelios more than any other hockey player out there.  He was absolutely abused in the Ducks series.  He is a liability, a punk, etc.  Sorry, I know too much about this guy from behind the scenes and he is just a complete #$^*$@.   

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2009, 03:02:30 PM »

Not much of a future in front of them eh?  This year marks the 18th straight season that they made the playoffs, and this year will mark the 6th Stanley cup appearance in 14 seasons. While that is all a testament to their recent history, what sort of ways do you see the Wings trending away from this streak?  You might say we are old, but this post season should be a great testament to just how ridiculously deep our team is, and the youth from some of the lower lines is undeniable.  Obviously a stanley cup winning season should never be taken for granted, but with the Wings ability to sign undervalued talent and keep good vets that are willing to take pay cuts throughout their careers, it's easy to see the wings competing for a long time to come.

feedback