collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644839 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1850 on: December 13, 2017, 12:51:10 PM »
FYI, Discount Liquor held back Bourbon County, they still have some available for the asking at the registers. (It was in their add in the Sunday paper.)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1851 on: December 13, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »
Well, I picked up a 750 of it from Sendik's last night, so maybe I'll give it a year or so in the cellar and crack it out for Xmas next year and report back.

Had it last weekend - it's average. I just don't think Founders does a good job with barrel aged stouts. KBS nor CBS is that great.

They are one of my top 3 breweries but this style is not great.
But I like to throw handfuls...

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #1852 on: December 13, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
Had it last weekend - it's average. I just don't think Founders does a good job with barrel aged stouts. KBS nor CBS is that great.

+1 KBS and CBS are very overrated, CBS more so. Great brewery but their barrel program needs some work.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1853 on: December 14, 2017, 02:19:16 PM »
FYI, Discount Liquor held back Bourbon County, they still have some available for the asking at the registers. (It was in their add in the Sunday paper.)

Did they hold back the variants to?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1854 on: December 14, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »
Did they hold back the variants to?
AFAIK, no just the stout.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1855 on: December 14, 2017, 02:48:14 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1856 on: December 17, 2017, 03:35:29 PM »

Unpopular opinion coming.  I will take the Barrel Program at Central Waters over both.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1857 on: December 17, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »
Unpopular opinion coming.  I will take the Barrel Program at Central Waters over both.

I don't see that as unpopular. I see it as you recognizing quality. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1858 on: January 14, 2018, 06:56:37 AM »
New Holland Brewing Company, limited batch, Caramel Salt Dragon's Milk.     Regular Dragon's Milk is a bourbon barrel stout.     

Initial flavor is the Caramel, then the bourbon hits the back of your throat, then the salt lingers just a bit.    11.5% ABV.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1859 on: February 28, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »
Anyone try Jameson Irish whiskey Caskmates (finished in IPA barrels).  I'm not a fan of IPA's (trend toward the malty side of the scale)  but was curious as to what it might add to whiskey. 
Ludum habemus.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1860 on: March 02, 2018, 09:28:30 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with any Brooklyn Brew Shop home brew kits? I've got the Everyday IPA kit mash going on the stove right now while sipping on some New Belgium Voodoo Ranger. The last kit I used came out tolerable but far from good. I'm hoping this is a better recipe. Well, that, and hopefully I'm getting a little better at this with each batch.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1861 on: March 02, 2018, 09:51:02 PM »
Anyone try Jameson Irish whiskey Caskmates (finished in IPA barrels).  I'm not a fan of IPA's (trend toward the malty side of the scale)  but was curious as to what it might add to whiskey.

Yes it's terrible tastes watery. And considering Jameson isn't exactly full of flavor already that's saying something.
Maigh Eo for Sam

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1862 on: March 02, 2018, 09:55:39 PM »
Yes it's terrible tastes watery. And considering Jameson isn't exactly full of flavor already that's saying something.

We must be drinking different Jamesons. Whenever I have it, it tastes like Murphy's, Marquette Gyro, and bad decisions all wrapped into one drink.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1863 on: March 02, 2018, 10:16:13 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with any Brooklyn Brew Shop home brew kits? I've got the Everyday IPA kit mash going on the stove right now while sipping on some New Belgium Voodoo Ranger. The last kit I used came out tolerable but far from good. I'm hoping this is a better recipe. Well, that, and hopefully I'm getting a little better at this with each batch.

That's what I used the first (and so far only) time I brewed. Wasn't perfect, but I was satisfied. Being my first time, I can't put any blame on the ingredients.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1864 on: March 02, 2018, 11:46:46 PM »
We must be drinking different Jamesons. Whenever I have it, it tastes like Murphy's, Marquette Gyro, and bad decisions all wrapped into one drink.

Yeah your memories of Jameson started wayyyy later in life than mine. To me it's medicine for a cold. Hot Toddy's for the win!
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1865 on: March 23, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
Never had the Goose Bourbon County stout before.   Local store(Jacksonville, fl)  got some i today and looking forward to tipping it back.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1866 on: March 30, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »
Anyone have thoughts on 3 Sheeps? I haven't tried them yet, but I was looking into to who was making some new/good beer in MKE & Wisconsin and came across them.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1867 on: March 30, 2018, 10:49:04 AM »
Anyone have thoughts on 3 Sheeps? I haven't tried them yet, but I was looking into to who was making some new/good beer in MKE & Wisconsin and came across them.

I used to frequent their Really Cool Waterslides IPA.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1868 on: March 30, 2018, 01:15:53 PM »
3 Sheeps Cashmere Hammer (nitro in the bottle!), Uber Joe and Roll out the Barrel (Chardonnay version) are excellent IMO

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1869 on: March 30, 2018, 01:29:58 PM »

I like the Baaad Boy Black Wheat.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1870 on: March 30, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »
I was looking into to who was making some new/good beer in MKE & Wisconsin and came across them.

Check out Third Space and Good City if you haven't already. Third Space makes some fun stuff, and GC makes some solid APA/IPAs.

Outside of the area, I'm super intrigued by Untitled Art. Some of the styles are a little out there, but the beers I've had from them have been good. Price point is high, though.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1871 on: March 30, 2018, 01:56:56 PM »
Check out Third Space and Good City if you haven't already. Third Space makes some fun stuff, and GC makes some solid APA/IPAs.

Outside of the area, I'm super intrigued by Untitled Art. Some of the styles are a little out there, but the beers I've had from them have been good. Price point is high, though.
Thanks, Untitled Art looks right up my alley and I'll definitely check out Third Space too.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1872 on: March 30, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »
I like the Baaad Boy Black Wheat.

Pretty sure that one has been discontinued.

Raised Grain in Waukesha makes some of the best beers around town of the newer breweries. It might sound odd but the peanut butter porter from Westallion isn't bad.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1873 on: March 30, 2018, 09:43:30 PM »
Pretty sure that one has been discontinued.

Raised Grain in Waukesha makes some of the best beers around town of the newer breweries. It might sound odd but the peanut butter porter from Westallion isn't bad.

Bummer!  That was the one beer of theirs I liked.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1874 on: April 01, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »

Stopped by this past winter.  Good stuff.  I especially liked the Paid Time Off (coconut / black walnut) though it may be gone now.  But lots of other good brews too.