collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644654 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1875 on: April 18, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »
I thoroughly enjoying the Alt Bier here in Dusseldorf.  It's a style I rarely see in the USA.  The little glasses it's served in is fun.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1876 on: April 19, 2018, 04:43:27 PM »
I thoroughly enjoying the Alt Bier here in Dusseldorf.  It's a style I rarely see in the USA.  The little glasses it's served in is fun.

Is it like a tray of kolsch?

Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1877 on: April 20, 2018, 02:38:53 AM »
Same size glass but beer is dark in color and light in taste.  It's been explained to me that Dusseldorf and Köln are rivals like Boston and New York.  Don't order Kolsch in Dusseldorf and don't order Alt in Köln.
I am visiting Köln tomorrow on my off day.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1878 on: April 20, 2018, 12:57:37 PM »
Same size glass but beer is dark in color and light in taste.  It's been explained to me that Dusseldorf and Köln are rivals like Boston and New York.  Don't order Kolsch in Dusseldorf and don't order Alt in Köln.
I am visiting Köln tomorrow on my off day.

Lots of fun. Also play the game of who can get the most marks on their coaster. If you have a lot of time try to head to Bamburg for Rausch Bier. My wife lived in Dusseldorf for 2.5 years and it's where we got engaged so it has a special place in my heart. We have quite a few friends who still live their too.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1879 on: April 21, 2018, 01:36:46 AM »
Lots of fun. Also play the game of who can get the most marks on their coaster. If you have a lot of time try to head to Bamburg for Rausch Bier. My wife lived in Dusseldorf for 2.5 years and it's where we got engaged so it has a special place in my heart. We have quite a few friends who still live their too.

Chili,  A beautiful place.  For my morning run, have been enjoying the pedestrian only paths and sidewalks on the Rhine and throughout the city. Was in the Aldstadt last night and there is no fair way to explain all the people drinking beer in all the zillion pubs and restaurants.  Incredible!  Had to force myself back to the hotel.....

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1880 on: April 23, 2018, 12:49:03 PM »
Is it like a tray of kolsch?

I thoroughly enjoyed the Kolsch on my visit to Cologne on Saturday.  I made sure to take ample time outs from visiting historical places to enjoying Kolsch.  I had the pleasure of sharing a table and discussing things with some Germans.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:40:32 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1881 on: April 24, 2018, 09:55:05 PM »
Bucket List checked—had my first Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig at Monk’s in Philly last weekend.  I now understand all of the fuss. 

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1882 on: June 14, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »
I've been a few times now to the Ballast Point tap room which opened a few weeks ago in the West Loop.  Around thirty of their beers on tap (with more rotating in), including Barrel Aged Victory at Sea.  Great space, very good food.  I think a concept they may roll out in other places too (currently in a few spots in CA and one in VA).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1883 on: June 14, 2018, 09:32:30 PM »
I've been a few times now to the Ballast Point tap room which opened a few weeks ago in the West Loop.  Around thirty of their beers on tap (with more rotating in), including Barrel Aged Victory at Sea.  Great space, very good food.  I think a concept they may roll out in other places too (currently in a few spots in CA and one in VA).

STZ stock over $232.  I made a lot of Scoopers rich. 

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1884 on: June 15, 2018, 08:12:22 AM »

Personally I find their concept stupid. They don't even brew on site. Well, they make 1 batch on a big home brew system a week - woopie!. What's the point? Personally it feels like some marketing person in their offices on Michigan Ave thought they needed a spot in Chicago now that they're based here with Constellation.

From their spot in the West Loop you could go to quite a few better tasting rooms with beer made on site within 10-15 minutes. Also places with better food.

Just my $.02.

But I like to throw handfuls...

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1885 on: June 15, 2018, 11:40:49 AM »
Personally I find their concept stupid. They don't even brew on site. Well, they make 1 batch on a big home brew system a week - woopie!. What's the point? Personally it feels like some marketing person in their offices on Michigan Ave thought they needed a spot in Chicago now that they're based here with Constellation.

From their spot in the West Loop you could go to quite a few better tasting rooms with beer made on site within 10-15 minutes. Also places with better food.

Just my $.02.

And I have!  This is just another option (and a great one for me as I like many BP beers).

You are right that it is an exercise in branding/marketing.  I just think it is an enjoyable one.  Agree to disagree.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1886 on: June 15, 2018, 11:44:34 AM »
If anyone will be in the Austin, Tx area in the near future, the Black Sparrow Rauch by The Texas Beer Company is OUTSTANDING.  Actual brewery is out in Taylor, TX, roughly 30 minutes north of Austin.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1887 on: November 06, 2018, 03:52:41 PM »
Just opened a 2012 BCBS... yes, today.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1888 on: November 06, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »
Doesn't like every town have their own brewery now?  Every week I see news of another brewery opening somewhere in Connecticut.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1889 on: November 06, 2018, 04:09:38 PM »
Just opened a 2012 BCBS... yes, today.

Nice.  Drank my vertical that included a '12 last year.  Now I've just got '13-'17 left.  Regular '15 (not rare, not tainted) is still the best! (I've done a few vertical tastings that included it).  In fact it sadly clobbered the '15 rare :(  Not a good beer value for the rare.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:13:38 PM by rocky_warrior »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1890 on: November 06, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »
2014 BC stout on tap right now @ Erv's mug.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1891 on: January 04, 2019, 04:21:18 PM »
In my opinion there is a lot of bad beer in the local Milwaukee craft brewery tap rooms right now.  Too many brew masters trying to be cute with creative beers, rather than producing a consistently decent product.  And the whole IPA menu imbalance has already been discussed, but continues.

Which leads me to the reason for this post:  I was invited to sample the beers at http://www.gatheringplacebrewing.com/ yesterday and I came away very impressed.  Quality beers are being brewed there.  I really enjoyed the winter seasonal.  And they offer more than just one or two beers on the malty side of the scale. 
Ludum habemus.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1892 on: January 04, 2019, 04:25:44 PM »
In my opinion there is a lot of bad beer in the local Milwaukee craft brewery tap rooms right now.  Too many brew masters trying to be cute with creative beers, rather than producing a consistently decent product.  And the whole IPA menu imbalance has already been discussed, but continues.

Which leads me to the reason for this post:  I was invited to sample the beers at http://www.gatheringplacebrewing.com/ yesterday and I came away very impressed.  Quality beers are being brewed there.  I really enjoyed the winter seasonal.  And they offer more than just one or two beers on the malty side of the scale.

The tap room is a great place to try the one-offs and see what works and what doesn't. That said, I don't think Eagle Park needs 8 NEIPAs and 4 Milkshake IPAs on their menu.

I had some of Gathering Place's beer shortly after they opened and it was hit or miss. Hopefully they're hitting their stride. Rooting for them, as they are a MU alumni biz.

Semi-related... anyone been able to find the new Lakefront BA Barleywine in MKE?

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1893 on: January 04, 2019, 06:44:29 PM »
Doesn't like every town have their own brewery now?  Every week I see news of another brewery opening somewhere in Connecticut.

Every town has its own brewery with a flagship IPA, amber, and porter. And they all taste about the same. They also all look the same. Or maybe that is just the trend here in the PNW. The innovation is dying.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1894 on: January 04, 2019, 06:58:08 PM »
Every town has its own brewery with a flagship IPA, amber, and porter. And they all taste about the same. They also all look the same.

There’s a lot of this, but I would guess it’ll start swinging the other way before too long. Brewing unspectacular beer seems pretty scalable, so I think a restaurants and pubs are just adding brewing. But it’s to the point where places with good beer lists are sticking in my head more often than brewpubs.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1895 on: January 04, 2019, 07:17:56 PM »
There’s a lot of this, but I would guess it’ll start swinging the other way before too long. Brewing unspectacular beer seems pretty scalable, so I think a restaurants and pubs are just adding brewing. But it’s to the point where places with good beer lists are sticking in my head more often than brewpubs.
I would agree with you there. I rarely hit up the breweries here much anymore (Portland) because it’s kinda been there done that, the city breweries rightfully cater to the tourist crowd and it’s just not very imaginative anymore (couple exceptions that continuously delight). But the tap room down the street from me has 30 taps of every style imaginable. No contest.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1896 on: January 06, 2019, 08:55:25 AM »
The tap room is a great place to try the one-offs and see what works and what doesn't. That said, I don't think Eagle Park needs 8 NEIPAs and 4 Milkshake IPAs on their menu.

I had some of Gathering Place's beer shortly after they opened and it was hit or miss. Hopefully they're hitting their stride. Rooting for them, as they are a MU alumni biz.

Semi-related... anyone been able to find the new Lakefront BA Barleywine in MKE?

Making NEIPAs in the Midwest.  Nice.

3rd Space has a Midwest IPA?  Is that trying to mimic NEIPAs?

I keep wondering when the saturation point will be.  The guy in my local liquor store said the new local breweries here in CT are still pulling sales from the national brands and are not yet cannibalizing each other. 
Trying to be different, a brewery opened in New Haven in 2018 and they only make German style beers.  Another brewery just tried making Belgian style beers but they had to take on contract brewing to survive.
Each region of Germany has there own breweries and most instances their own style to boot.  (When I was in Dusseldorf, there are six breweries and they pretty much only make Alt Beer and you won't see any other brands )  Maybe this is where it will head? 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1897 on: February 25, 2019, 12:11:53 PM »
We beer drinkers owe a lot to 70 year-old stiltwalkers

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1099988627713474560

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1898 on: May 10, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1899 on: June 14, 2019, 01:48:56 PM »
Work took me to Washburn, Wisconsin earlier this week (Bayfield County seat).  Had a pint or three of Lake Superior Brewing Company "Sir Duluth Oatmeal Stout."  Thinner than many stouts, but very drinkable.   

https://lakesuperiorbrewing.com/

Never heard of the brewery. 
Ludum habemus.

feedback