[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by swoopem
[Today at 11:59:16 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 650458 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1676 on: February 22, 2016, 08:27:01 PM »
Great.  Now that beer is going to be effed up.

Another Brazillian Wax by G3.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1677 on: February 23, 2016, 12:14:57 AM »

It's largely a token move.  The brewery was already owned by them, they're just finally taking over the "pub" and making it a taproom.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1678 on: February 23, 2016, 08:15:49 AM »

Would you care to elaborate on how we f*cked up? Curious.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1679 on: February 23, 2016, 08:18:21 AM »
Perhaps Chili can add comments/details to this from GI:

To our loyal fans,

Each year you stand in long lines in the cold to get your hands on Bourbon County Stout and the special variants. This is beer that we hope is shared on special occasions, or maybe even makes the occasion special. Beer that we truly hope helps strengthen bonds and makes lasting memories.

I want you to know that the entire team at Goose Island puts our heart and soul into making Bourbon County, and we understand and appreciate your high expectations for them. It is always our intention to put forth the best beer we can craft. When we don’t meet those expectations we take it personally, and we want to make it right.

It has come to our attention that since bottling the 2015 Bourbon County Coffee and Bourbon County Barleywine, they have developed flavors that are not consistent with our expectation of how these beers should taste. That’s not to say the beer doesn’t taste good, in fact some drinkers may enjoy it very much. However, it doesn’t meet our standards for the taste profile of these beers.

All of our beer goes through a very thorough quality oversight process including sensory and microbiology programs. This by no means is a guarantee of success especially with barrel aged beers. Both of these beers have drifted out of their target character thus leading us to provide refunds for anyone who is unsatisfied with them. Anyone who would like a refund for 2015 Bourbon County Coffee or 2015 Bourbon County Barleywine, please contact us at 1-800-Goose-Me.

In spite of the risks inherent with barrel aging, our quest to grow these beers and our barrel aging program will persevere. I hope you continue to join us in this adventure.

Very Truly,
 Jared Jankoski

http://www.gooseisland.com/blog?id=post_11

Sorry, been traveling for a bit. We still actually do not know why the off flavors are showing in some bottles. It's not an infection (pedo, lacto, etc) but we don't know what. Wish we did. It's not all of them but we have some bottles that definitely are not what we intended so we're doing the right thing and offering people their money back. We always stand behind our beer and it's not what we intended we want to do right by our fans.

Chili

• All American

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1681 on: February 23, 2016, 08:43:13 AM »
Sure, he does.  I'm happy for him, but I'm saddened that the place will never be the same. 
Ludum habemus.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1682 on: February 23, 2016, 08:43:56 AM »
Sure, he does.  I'm happy for him, but I'm saddened that the place will never be the same.

How will it not be the same?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1683 on: February 23, 2016, 08:48:26 AM »
Here's one example:  My spouse doesn't much care for beer.  She'd go in there with me knowing she could get a Captain & Coke.  Now she won't be so inclined. 
Ludum habemus.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1684 on: February 23, 2016, 08:57:42 AM »
Here's one example:  My spouse doesn't much care for beer.  She'd go in there with me knowing she could get a Captain & Coke.  Now she won't be so inclined.

True. That's on the IL legislature.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1685 on: February 23, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »
Sorry, been traveling for a bit. We still actually do not know why the off flavors are showing in some bottles. It's not an infection (pedo, lacto, etc) but we don't know what. Wish we did. It's not all of them but we have some bottles that definitely are not what we intended so we're doing the right thing and offering people their money back. We always stand behind our beer and it's not what we intended we want to do right by our fans.

I know Central Waters had problems with their Peruvian Morning more than once that apparently was somehow caused by the coffee added but that couldn't have happened to your barleywine obviously.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1686 on: February 23, 2016, 10:21:17 AM »
I know Central Waters had problems with their Peruvian Morning more than once that apparently was somehow caused by the coffee added but that couldn't have happened to your barleywine obviously.

I know that was one of the first things the lab looked at was the coffee bc of what CW has had to go through. But like I said, it's not the entire batch. All of my bottles I have opened have been find. Would love to find out what the issue is so we can make sure it doesn't happen again.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1687 on: February 23, 2016, 12:42:05 PM »
Chili, I noticed Green Line is now sold in bottles....makes me very happy, although sort of ruins the exclusivity factor.

I also loved Blue Line when I tried it last year. Is that coming back?

Last question...any chance they open another brewpub to replace the closed Wrigleyville one, or are they just going to keep it at 1 brewpub going forward?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: February 23, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »
Would you care to elaborate on how we f*cked up? Curious.

It has simply been my personal experience that when an successful entrepreneurial company gets taken over by a huge corporation,  the product typically goes to hell.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1689 on: February 23, 2016, 06:53:20 PM »
Hey Chili, welcome back.

Not to pile on, but the last several cases of  canned IPA have been blowing up on me, regardless of temperature. You ever hear of that? It had to be 5 cases worth. Wasn't a huge deal, just had to open them over the sink and let it settle out.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1690 on: February 24, 2016, 06:31:45 AM »
Hey Chili, welcome back.

Not to pile on, but the last several cases of  canned IPA have been blowing up on me, regardless of temperature. You ever hear of that? It had to be 5 cases worth. Wasn't a huge deal, just had to open them over the sink and let it settle out.

Call 1-800-Goose-Me - they'll be able to help you out. Just have one of the cans with you so you can read them the batch code. That shouldn't be happening.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1691 on: February 24, 2016, 06:35:15 AM »
Chili, I noticed Green Line is now sold in bottles....makes me very happy, although sort of ruins the exclusivity factor.

I also loved Blue Line when I tried it last year. Is that coming back?

Last question...any chance they open another brewpub to replace the closed Wrigleyville one, or are they just going to keep it at 1 brewpub going forward?

Green Line in bottles & cans will be great. Needed a pale ale in the lineup globally so why not make it that one? Right.

Blue Line = Four Star Pils. Same beer. Blue Line was the test name we used in Chicago. And it was really successful.

Right now we're going to stick with 1 pub in Chicago but I have heard the Rickets have big plans for the area. It's really in their hands now. But we have opened up a tasting room at the Fulton Street Brewery (1800 W. Fulton) which is open Thu-Sun. Should check it out. Even though it's my office, it's a fantastic place to try and a lot of cool beer.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1692 on: February 24, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »
Green Line in bottles & cans will be great. Needed a pale ale in the lineup globally so why not make it that one? Right.

Blue Line = Four Star Pils. Same beer. Blue Line was the test name we used in Chicago. And it was really successful.

Right now we're going to stick with 1 pub in Chicago but I have heard the Rickets have big plans for the area. It's really in their hands now. But we have opened up a tasting room at the Fulton Street Brewery (1800 W. Fulton) which is open Thu-Sun. Should check it out. Even though it's my office, it's a fantastic place to try and a lot of cool beer.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I saw the Four Star Pils but didn't know that was the same beer. I'll have to get a pack at my next trip to Jewel.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1693 on: February 24, 2016, 10:53:48 AM »
It has simply been my personal experience that when an successful entrepreneurial company gets taken over by a huge corporation,  the product typically goes to hell.

Clearly you are unfamiliar with their Bourbon County Stout brand. You also may be unfamiliar with their "Sisters" brand.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1694 on: February 24, 2016, 12:15:50 PM »
Clearly you are unfamiliar with their Bourbon County Stout brand. You also may be unfamiliar with their "Sisters" brand.

How long have they owned it?  Give them time..... 

I speak from multiple personal experiences on both the consumer side and on the entrepreneurial company side.

Have some patience, FFS.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1695 on: February 24, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
How long have they owned it?  Give them time..... 

I speak from multiple personal experiences on both the consumer side and on the entrepreneurial company side.

We're going on six years and the demand for both brands is rising. I understand you may be embittered from personal failings and/or experience. However, that doesn't mean it happens every single time.

To stay on topic, can you give us specific examples of what beers you consider to be "effed up" since the AB InBev purchase?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1696 on: February 24, 2016, 06:54:22 PM »
We're going on six years and the demand for both brands is rising. I understand you may be embittered from personal failings and/or experience. However, that doesn't mean it happens every single time.

To stay on topic, can you give us specific examples of what beers you consider to be "effed up" since the AB InBev purchase?

I didn't say anything specifically about beers, but I can give you other examples.  Here's one:

When Glow and I lived in Newton Massachusetts, our house was down the street from a tiny storefront carryout place.  It was barely big enough to hold the rotisserie, a small cafeteria-like steam table, and the two guys that owned the business. The only thing they sold was whole rotisserie chickens and family-size sides. The food was amazing and they had lines out the door seven days a week.  It was called Boston Chicken.

It got purchased and expanded nationwide, changed its name to Boston Market, and doesn't even begin to resemble the original concept.  It's crap, and I have not been to one in close to a decade.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1697 on: February 24, 2016, 09:37:36 PM »

Bud Light and Busch.  Ugly

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1698 on: February 25, 2016, 09:33:38 AM »
I didn't say anything specifically about beers, but I can give you other examples.  Here's one:

When Glow and I lived in Newton Massachusetts, our house was down the street from a tiny storefront carryout place.  It was barely big enough to hold the rotisserie, a small cafeteria-like steam table, and the two guys that owned the business. The only thing they sold was whole rotisserie chickens and family-size sides. The food was amazing and they had lines out the door seven days a week.  It was called Boston Chicken.

It got purchased and expanded nationwide, changed its name to Boston Market, and doesn't even begin to resemble the original concept.  It's crap, and I have not been to one in close to a decade.

Earlier in the thread (Reply #1675) you wrote, "Great. Now that beer is going be effed up". You specifically wrote something about the beers. In The Beer Thread.

As I wrote in #1695, it's clear you are embittered and we now know it's over your breast meat not being the same as it once was. It's also clear you have not a clue regarding the Goose Island topic on hand and just wanted to vent on something that has zero to do with AB InBev's purchase of the Goose Island Clyburn pub.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1699 on: February 25, 2016, 09:48:16 AM »
Earlier in the thread (Reply #1675) you wrote, "Great. Now that beer is going be effed up". You specifically wrote something about the beers. In The Beer Thread.

As I wrote in #1695, it's clear you are embittered and we now know it's over your breast meat not being the same as it once was. It's also clear you have not a clue regarding the Goose Island topic on hand and just wanted to vent on something that has zero to do with AB InBev's purchase of the Goose Island Clyburn pub.

Have some patience, FFS.

feedback