[Today at 12:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 650462 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1650 on: November 09, 2015, 01:49:14 PM »
When there is a choice, I am agnostic with two exceptions:  if I cannot pour, I prefer a bottle (avoiding the "tin" stank); if transport/convenience is an issue, I prefer cans.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1651 on: November 09, 2015, 01:53:21 PM »
I prefer bottles unless it's Guinness then you need to buy the can with the gizmo doohickey thing in it to make it like the draught product.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1652 on: November 09, 2015, 02:02:23 PM »
When there is a choice, I am agnostic with two exceptions:  if I cannot pour, I prefer a bottle (avoiding the "tin" stank); if transport/convenience is an issue, I prefer cans.

That's where I'm at.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1653 on: November 09, 2015, 06:35:19 PM »

Out of curiosity, what have you had recently from a can that had a tin stink?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1654 on: November 09, 2015, 08:17:24 PM »
Out of curiosity, what have you had recently from a can that had a tin stink?

Shouldn't be any stank.  All aluminum cans are coated.  But I guess there is a scent if you're going straight from the can.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1655 on: November 10, 2015, 07:21:31 AM »
Shouldn't be any stank.  All aluminum cans are coated.  But I guess there is a scent if you're going straight from the can.

When you taste metal it's actually you smelling the can which adds the metal taste. As mentioned before, all cans in the US are powder coated so there is no beer / metal contact.

The biggest issue with cans is the canning lines that some breweries have in that they older canning lines that allow too much oxygen into the package.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1656 on: November 10, 2015, 09:35:31 AM »
Isn't 90% of taste coming from our nose? Perhaps not that high but it's amazing how much influence that has to turn us on to, and then off of, a tin stink with can drinking.

The Alchemist's Heady Topper has the famous preference for drinking straight from the can. I'll drink the last two ounces from a tallboy can after I pour and that doesn't throw my senses off. Maybe it's not enough ounces to do so.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1657 on: November 13, 2015, 02:40:03 PM »
Stank may have been a bit overstated.  I don't know the science, and it may even be a psychosomatic-type reaction, but when I drink from a can (hey-ho), I get a whiff of metal.  Not overwhelming, maybe not a stank, but a whiff.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1658 on: November 16, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »
Constellation Brands Inc., the maker of Robert Mondavi wines and Svedka vodka, agreed to acquire Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits for $1 billion to add a line of craft brews to its beer portfolio.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-16/constellation-to-acquire-ballast-point-brewery-for-1-billion

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1659 on: November 16, 2015, 10:31:19 PM »
Constellation Brands Inc., the maker of Robert Mondavi wines and Svedka vodka, agreed to acquire Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits for $1 billion to add a line of craft brews to its beer portfolio.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-16/constellation-to-acquire-ballast-point-brewery-for-1-billion

Also sell Corona in the USA too. That's a lot of cheddar.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #1660 on: November 16, 2015, 11:24:01 PM »
Chili, do you have any idea how many bottles of the Bourbon County variants, specifically, Prop, Regal and Rare are coming to the suburban Binny's locations on Black Friday. South suburbs if that helps.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1661 on: November 17, 2015, 07:21:42 AM »
Chili, do you have any idea how many bottles of the Bourbon County variants, specifically, Prop, Regal and Rare are coming to the suburban Binny's locations on Black Friday. South suburbs if that helps.

No idea. That is all handled by Lakeshore Beverage our distributor. Hopefully more than last year as it seemed everyone except Binny's Marcey got much less than previous years. I would reach out to your local Binny's buyer. Here is a blog outlining what to expect this year at Binny's: http://www.binnys.com/blog/blackfriday2015/#sthash.6NeB3kEe.dpbs

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #1662 on: November 17, 2015, 11:41:12 AM »
No idea. That is all handled by Lakeshore Beverage our distributor. Hopefully more than last year as it seemed everyone except Binny's Marcey got much less than previous years. I would reach out to your local Binny's buyer. Here is a blog outlining what to expect this year at Binny's: http://www.binnys.com/blog/blackfriday2015/#sthash.6NeB3kEe.dpbs

Sounds good, thanks

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1664 on: November 30, 2015, 04:47:51 PM »
So, anyone get in a fistfight over their allotment of GI Bourbon County and variants?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1665 on: November 30, 2015, 05:18:10 PM »
So, anyone get in a fistfight over their allotment of GI Bourbon County and variants?

Not at all - and I ended up with more than I expected to get.  I did get shut out on Rye, but that was kinda my own laziness.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1666 on: November 30, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »

Didn't even bother this year

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1667 on: December 01, 2015, 08:53:38 AM »
We walked into Lakefront Brewery at noon on Friday because we saw on TV that they were pouring taps of Black Friday, never thought I'd be able to buy 3 bottles at 12:30pm. I feel sorry for those that stood in line, well maybe not too much.  :)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1668 on: December 01, 2015, 05:37:36 PM »
Jersey doesn't get much so I've never lost my head like so many others but reading about some mayhem in different spots with truck chasers, raffles gone rogue, and wardrobe changes, etc. just to get bottles is amusing.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1669 on: December 05, 2015, 10:42:37 AM »
I'm in the St. Paul area tonight... any specific beers that are only in MN that I should grab?  Probably headed to Surly tonight to see their new place.  Anywhere else I should check out?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1670 on: December 05, 2015, 03:08:17 PM »
I'm in the St. Paul area tonight... any specific beers that are only in MN that I should grab?  Probably headed to Surly tonight to see their new place.  Anywhere else I should check out?

Maybe too late to change your plans but I'm a fan of Dangerous Man and Fair State Co-op which are both in NE Minneapolis. When in St. Paul, Happy Gnome is always worth a stop for one of its 30 taps.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1671 on: December 06, 2015, 08:20:14 PM »
Maybe too late to change your plans but I'm a fan of Dangerous Man and Fair State Co-op which are both in NE Minneapolis. When in St. Paul, Happy Gnome is always worth a stop for one of its 30 taps.

Thanks for the ideas... it wasn't too late, but we decided to try Surly... there was a hour and twenty minute wait for a table so we noped out and got some garbage by our hotel.

If we had more time, I'd have checked out Happy Gnome for sure.  St. Paul is a beautiful city.  The lights in Rice park were great last night.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1672 on: January 12, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Perhaps Chili can add comments/details to this from GI:

To our loyal fans,

Each year you stand in long lines in the cold to get your hands on Bourbon County Stout and the special variants. This is beer that we hope is shared on special occasions, or maybe even makes the occasion special. Beer that we truly hope helps strengthen bonds and makes lasting memories.

I want you to know that the entire team at Goose Island puts our heart and soul into making Bourbon County, and we understand and appreciate your high expectations for them. It is always our intention to put forth the best beer we can craft. When we don’t meet those expectations we take it personally, and we want to make it right.

It has come to our attention that since bottling the 2015 Bourbon County Coffee and Bourbon County Barleywine, they have developed flavors that are not consistent with our expectation of how these beers should taste. That’s not to say the beer doesn’t taste good, in fact some drinkers may enjoy it very much. However, it doesn’t meet our standards for the taste profile of these beers.

All of our beer goes through a very thorough quality oversight process including sensory and microbiology programs. This by no means is a guarantee of success especially with barrel aged beers. Both of these beers have drifted out of their target character thus leading us to provide refunds for anyone who is unsatisfied with them. Anyone who would like a refund for 2015 Bourbon County Coffee or 2015 Bourbon County Barleywine, please contact us at 1-800-Goose-Me.

In spite of the risks inherent with barrel aging, our quest to grow these beers and our barrel aging program will persevere. I hope you continue to join us in this adventure.

Very Truly,
 Jared Jankoski

http://www.gooseisland.com/blog?id=post_11

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1673 on: January 12, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
Perhaps Chili can add comments/details to this from GI:

To our loyal fans,

Each year you stand in long lines in the cold to get your hands on Bourbon County Stout and the special variants. This is beer that we hope is shared on special occasions, or maybe even makes the occasion special. Beer that we truly hope helps strengthen bonds and makes lasting memories.

I want you to know that the entire team at Goose Island puts our heart and soul into making Bourbon County, and we understand and appreciate your high expectations for them. It is always our intention to put forth the best beer we can craft. When we don’t meet those expectations we take it personally, and we want to make it right.

It has come to our attention that since bottling the 2015 Bourbon County Coffee and Bourbon County Barleywine, they have developed flavors that are not consistent with our expectation of how these beers should taste. That’s not to say the beer doesn’t taste good, in fact some drinkers may enjoy it very much. However, it doesn’t meet our standards for the taste profile of these beers.

All of our beer goes through a very thorough quality oversight process including sensory and microbiology programs. This by no means is a guarantee of success especially with barrel aged beers. Both of these beers have drifted out of their target character thus leading us to provide refunds for anyone who is unsatisfied with them. Anyone who would like a refund for 2015 Bourbon County Coffee or 2015 Bourbon County Barleywine, please contact us at 1-800-Goose-Me.

In spite of the risks inherent with barrel aging, our quest to grow these beers and our barrel aging program will persevere. I hope you continue to join us in this adventure.

Very Truly,
 Jared Jankoski

http://www.gooseisland.com/blog?id=post_11

Smart move. Anheuser-Busch has deep pockets, so why not offer refunds if you mess up?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.