* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 09:12:22 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 650382 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1600 on: September 24, 2015, 11:39:23 AM »
And while I agree with your marketing idea being a powerful one, I don't think it requires a stand alone company to pull it off.  First, the general public (anyone not posting in a 64 page thread dedicated to beer on a college basketball internet message forum) isn't sophisticated enough to know if a company really is an American brewery or not.  Hell, the vast majority of general beer drinkers I know that would buy Miller have no idea that Third Shift is a Miller beer or that Leine's is owned by Miller, etc.  Not sure that Miller standing by itself would be a market driver.

I agree that many Americans have no idea that Miller - technically - is no longer an American company; however, looking at the profile of a typical macro beer drinker, I think they would care about this issue just enough that a well-run marketing/education campaign by a stand-alone (and truly American) Miller could elicit powerful results.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1601 on: September 24, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »
If anyone is in Denver this weekend, and looking for GABF tickets, I can currently get 2 tickets for tonight, and 4 tickets for the Sat evening session.  All at cost ($84.25 with all fees I beleive).

That said, I'm not going, I think all the special tappings around town are a better time than the fest itself.  Spent last night at hops and pie - some delicious taps.  Will definitely be out Fri and Sat night.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: September 24, 2015, 02:01:03 PM »
Asia is part of it but the markets most wanted the presence in Africa & Australia. Columbia is another one.

*Colombia

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1603 on: September 24, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »
I don't know if anyone has been to a old German Beer Hall but what are your favorites there? I'm not familiar enough with them to know which is good.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1604 on: September 24, 2015, 04:17:12 PM »
I don't know if anyone has been to a old German Beer Hall but what are your favorites there? I'm not familiar enough with them to know which is good.

Maibock

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1605 on: September 24, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1606 on: September 24, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »
Maibock

So possessive - how out Ourbock?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: September 24, 2015, 10:28:45 PM »
[/quit

Principal PC?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1608 on: September 29, 2015, 10:40:15 AM »
comparing the two sales is like comparing apples to tbones. i would look more at what Duvel just paid for FW (roughly $220MM). Tony made out like a bandit.

I've read the details for the GI BCS Rare release party. Crazy price of $60/bottle if one is lucky enough to win the lottery and pay $40 for the right to attend. Any chance you can hook up some Scoopers?  8-)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1609 on: September 29, 2015, 02:00:23 PM »
Principal PC?

Great... pretty soon Rocky is going to be teaching us the Canadian alphabet.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1610 on: September 29, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »
I've read the details for the GI BCS Rare release party. Crazy price of $60/bottle if one is lucky enough to win the lottery and pay $40 for the right to attend. Any chance you can hook up some Scoopers?  8-)

lmao.  $60 a bottle?  get real.  There are plenty of places that do it just as well, and you don't have to worry about price.

That is totally absurd.  BCBS etc is great, but come on.

Save yourself $50 and pick up a 4 pack of anything that is bourbon aged by Central Waters.  Sure it doesn't have the label, but I'd love to put them to taste test next to each other and have anyone but the most discerning of experts tell me there is a big difference.

$60?  GFY.

Edit: I'm sure they are dispensing 'rare' vintages, but seriously, its not such a difference in years in bottle.  I have a 2012 BCBS sitting in my basement... sure im excited, but I'm not $60 excited.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:03:20 PM by Hards_Alumni »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1611 on: September 30, 2015, 08:57:29 AM »
lmao.  $60 a bottle?  get real.  There are plenty of places that do it just as well, and you don't have to worry about price.

Save yourself $50 and pick up a 4 pack of anything that is bourbon aged by Central Waters.  Sure it doesn't have the label, but I'd love to put them to taste test next to each other and have anyone but the most discerning of experts tell me there is a big difference.

$60?  GFY.

Edit: I'm sure they are dispensing 'rare' vintages, but seriously, its not such a difference in years in bottle.  I have a 2012 BCBS sitting in my basement... sure im excited, but I'm not $60 excited.

Actually, $60 is right in line with the current market. Like it or not, GI invented the bourbon stout so they will trade on brand. Also like it or not, GI Rare is exactly what it is labeled.........rare. That adds value. An added like it or not, a two year aging in a 35 year old named barrel is going to add to the price.

All in all, at that price, there will be zero beads of sweat wondering if this will sell. It will be gone in a matter of minutes.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1612 on: September 30, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »

1st, I love Central Waters bourbon stout and buy as many as possible (over 1 case on hand now) BUT we have done comparisons to BCS and sorry to say GI wins that one, although CW is half the price a the standard BCS.

Who knows if the 35YO barrels were actually legit or counterfeit: http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/post/60733494018/more-fun-than-a-barrel-of-monkeys-the-truth

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1613 on: September 30, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »
I don't feel the need to stand in line for BCS.

There are too many other good beers I haven't tried yet and come without hassle.

This is also the same rationale I use for Three Floyds.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1614 on: September 30, 2015, 02:25:51 PM »
1st, I love Central Waters bourbon stout and buy as many as possible (over 1 case on hand now) BUT we have done comparisons to BCS and sorry to say GI wins that one, although CW is half the price a the standard BCS.

Who knows if the 35YO barrels were actually legit or counterfeit: http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/post/60733494018/more-fun-than-a-barrel-of-monkeys-the-truth

They're legit. If you want to see them swing on by sometime and I'll show you around.

Also, this beer is great. It's right in line with the 1st BCBS Rare we did 5 years ago.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1615 on: September 30, 2015, 02:27:26 PM »

$60?  GFY.

This beer is different than regular BCBS. Instead of the standard 8-10 year Heaven Hill barrels aged for 10 mo it's 35 year Heaven Hill Barrels and has been aged for 2 years.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1616 on: September 30, 2015, 03:22:10 PM »
They're legit. If you want to see them swing on by sometime and I'll show you around.

Also, this beer is great. It's right in line with the 1st BCBS Rare we did 5 years ago.

So, how about I swing by on Nov 13 :)

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1617 on: September 30, 2015, 03:23:41 PM »
So, how about I swing by on Nov 13 :)

I can show you the outside of the warehouse that day.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: September 30, 2015, 03:24:59 PM »
Actually, $60 is right in line with the current market. Like it or not, GI invented the bourbon stout so they will trade on brand. Also like it or not, GI Rare is exactly what it is labeled.........rare. That adds value. An added like it or not, a two year aging in a 35 year old named barrel is going to add to the price.

All in all, at that price, there will be zero beads of sweat wondering if this will sell. It will be gone in a matter of minutes.

We actually just completed a 12 part web based documentary on the story of Bourbon County Brand Stout and released the first part today. You can view it here: http://www.gooseisland.com/gritandgrain.html

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1619 on: September 30, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »
I can show you the outside of the warehouse that day.

So you're saying I have to enter the lottery like everyone else...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: September 30, 2015, 03:36:01 PM »
I've got a 2010 Lambic currently aging in 25-year-old stainless steel in my basement.  I'm sure I'm not going to fool a BJCP veteran, but I could probably dupe a few rubes into thinking it was the best beer they ever tasted (even though it hit its peak in mid 2013).

I'm with Hards... at $60/bottle, it better look like this:

We actually just completed a 12 part web based documentary on the story of Bourbon County Brand Stout and released the first part today. You can view it here: http://www.gooseisland.com/gritandgrain.html

"Fact starts to blend with myth, and myth takes away from the process."

P.T. Barnum, eh?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1621 on: September 30, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »
I've got a 2010 Lambic currently aging in 25-year-old stainless steel in my basement.  I'm sure I'm not going to fool a BJCP veteran, but I could probably dupe a few rubes into thinking it was the best beer they ever tasted (even though it hit its peak in mid 2013).

I'm with Hards... at $60/bottle, it better look like this:

"Fact starts to blend with myth, and myth takes away from the process."

P.T. Barnum, eh?

http://goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2015/9/30/critical-drinking-what-beer-costs-why-we-need-more-flexibility-in-the-market

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1622 on: October 02, 2015, 10:23:43 AM »
This beer is different than regular BCBS. Instead of the standard 8-10 year Heaven Hill barrels aged for 10 mo it's 35 year Heaven Hill Barrels and has been aged for 2 years.

At least it's different then.  I assume you've tried it.  Would you say the flavor profile is significantly different from BCBS?   That's kinda what I was implying  (albeit in a rather rude manner, for which I apologize). 

$60 is just off the charts expensive.  I love beer and pay out the nose for it, but I guess there is a line for me.

Now, would I love to try it?  Absolutely.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1623 on: October 02, 2015, 10:37:10 AM »
At least it's different then.  I assume you've tried it.  Would you say the flavor profile is significantly different from BCBS?   That's kinda what I was implying  (albeit in a rather rude manner, for which I apologize). 

$60 is just off the charts expensive.  I love beer and pay out the nose for it, but I guess there is a line for me.

Now, would I love to try it?  Absolutely.

The sole impetus for my starting to homebrew imperials was because I was too cheap to pay $20 for a bottle of Dark Lord and too lazy to drive to Munster.

Now, I'm starting to scout for whiskey barrels.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1624 on: October 02, 2015, 11:36:02 AM »
The sole impetus for my starting to homebrew imperials was because I was too cheap to pay $20 for a bottle of Dark Lord and too lazy to drive to Munster.

Now, I'm starting to scout for whiskey barrels.

Why not just use toasted oak spirals soaked in your bourbon choice instead? You can only get 1 use out of an expensive barrel, the 2nd time won't be as good as the 1st use anyway. Spirals only cost about $10.

feedback