[Today at 11:34:29 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 10:47:01 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 650444 times)

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1550 on: July 28, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »
For any of you Cantillon fans out there, the 2015 Zwanze Day locations were released.

https://beerservedrare.wordpress.com/tag/zwanze-day-2015/

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1551 on: July 28, 2015, 02:50:20 PM »
I haven't had Sprecher in a while.  It's a shame they pasteurize it now.

I am still waiting on the results of any blind taste test where testers are able to consistently discern a difference between Pasteurized and non-Pasteurized beer.

I can't help but to believe that "non-pasteurized beer" is simply a marketing gimmick once employed by Coors that's evolved into a tagline for craft brewers who can't afford Pasteurization equipment.  Yet once these craft brewers increase production & start shipping their beer, their tune changes entirely.

And this is coming from someone who never Pasteurizes beer.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1552 on: July 28, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »
I am still waiting on the results of any blind taste test where testers are able to consistently discern a difference between Pasteurized and non-Pasteurized beer.

I can't help but to believe that "non-pasteurized beer" is simply a marketing gimmick once employed by Coors that's evolved into a tagline for craft brewers who can't afford Pasteurization equipment.  Yet once these craft brewers increase production & start shipping their beer, their tune changes entirely.

It does have an impact on the beer.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1553 on: July 28, 2015, 04:02:12 PM »

If it would be possible to A/B test Sprecher's Oktoberfest from before they pasteurized with the version they make now it would be easy to tell, the one now has about 50-60% of the flavor, maybe Randy made recipe changes too but I always placed the blame on the known change of pasteurizing it.

The only 2 Mindblocks and Oktoberfests I used to look for were Sprecher and Hacher Pschorr.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:42:38 AM by Michael Kenyon »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1554 on: July 28, 2015, 04:30:18 PM »
It does have an impact on the beer.

Of course it has an impact on the beer, but are we talking about simple changes at the molecular level or something can actually be discerned by the average consumer?  I'm sure a veteran BJCP judge could probably pick out the pasteurized beer in an A/B test... but I'm willing to bet that any BJCP judge - if given ten random beers, one of which was Pasteurized - he/she will pick out the Pasteurized beer only 10% of the time.

What I'm getting at is that Pasteurization isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Recipes change all the time.  Hop and grain crops can vary from year to year.  Water profiles are constantly changing.  Heck, even the shelf time of a beer can alter the finished product.  Whether a beer is Pasteurized or not is just one component of a beer's overall profile.  In fact, Pasteurization may actually improve a beer's profile.

Not sure what happened at Sprecher... but one thing to keep in mind is that when breweries make the change to Pasteurization, they're typically increasing their distribution and trying to reach new markets... and many times, that can be accompanied by changes to the beer - be it recipe or process - to make it more available and/or appealing to wider audiences.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1555 on: July 28, 2015, 04:36:06 PM »
Of course it has an impact on the beer, but are we talking about simple changes at the molecular level or something can actually be discerned by the average consumer?  I'm sure a veteran BJCP judge could probably pick out the pasteurized beer in an A/B test... but I'm willing to bet that any BJCP judge - if given ten random beers, one of which was Pasteurized - he/she will pick out the Pasteurized beer only 10% of the time.

What I'm getting at is that Pasteurization isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Recipes change all the time.  Hop and grain crops can vary from year to year.  Water profiles are constantly changing.  Heck, even the shelf time of a beer can alter the finished product.  Whether a beer is Pasteurized or not is just one component of a beer's overall profile.  In fact, Pasteurization may actually improve a beer's profile.

Not sure what happened at Sprecher... but one thing to keep in mind is that when breweries make the change to Pasteurization, they're typically increasing their distribution and trying to reach new markets... and many times, that can be accompanied by changes to the beer - be it recipe or process - to make it more available and/or appealing to wider audiences.

It does have a difference that is not a positive for the beer. It's why we don't pasteurize our beer at the big breweries even though they have the best pasteurizers in the world. There are 2 things that pasteurization is good for:

1) killing off critters that could harm the beer. this isn't needed if you're a good brewer who CIP's (cleans) very well and you use very quality ingredients
2) extends shelf life and makes it more shelf stable -- also means you don't need to refrigerate it.

Also, you cannot bottle condition if you pasteurize. Trust me, dead yeast is one of the worst tastes and smells in the world.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1556 on: August 10, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »
It was nice being able to buy GI bourbon county vanilla rye and the coffee stout at the state fair on Saturday

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1557 on: August 16, 2015, 09:13:10 AM »
Wisconsin Craft Beer Fest at The Harley October 23-24

http://www.wisconsincraftbeerfestival.com

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1558 on: August 18, 2015, 03:57:34 AM »
So if you're ever flying on Aer Lingus, you can get this beer:

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1559 on: August 18, 2015, 07:42:06 AM »
So if you're ever flying on Aer Lingus, you can get this beer:

Now available outside Indiana!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1560 on: August 18, 2015, 08:13:09 AM »
Is the flavor pretentious but ultimately disappointing?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1561 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:54 AM »
Is the flavor pretentious but ultimately disappointing?

The brewery is great at procuring top-notch ingredients, but the final product never measures up.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:21:22 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1562 on: August 18, 2015, 08:20:34 AM »
Has trouble developing that 'big' flavor. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1563 on: August 18, 2015, 08:34:33 AM »
Can never land a tallboy.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1564 on: August 18, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »
Mostly got lucky with that one batch of hops they got in.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1565 on: August 18, 2015, 09:57:21 PM »
Served best in a karategi.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1566 on: August 19, 2015, 10:09:42 AM »
consuming it might cause one to lose control of their ATV

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1567 on: August 22, 2015, 12:36:07 AM »
I drinx dat Surly Bender
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1568 on: September 07, 2015, 09:39:20 AM »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1569 on: September 08, 2015, 04:05:58 PM »
Heineken buys 50% of Lagunatis, take that Goose Island.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:56:24 PM by Michael Kenyon »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1570 on: September 08, 2015, 05:53:03 PM »
Glow and I made the pilgrimage to Chippewa Falls this weekend.  Wenthe to the local ice cream parlor and indulged in some Oktoberfest-flavored ice cream.
Have some patience, FFS.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1571 on: September 08, 2015, 10:12:58 PM »
Heineken buys 50% of Lagunatis, take that Goose Island.

What should I take? Tony is a good businessman but he did just want John did. Something Tony railed John for.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1572 on: September 09, 2015, 08:57:28 AM »
What should I take? Tony is a good businessman but he did just want John did. Something Tony railed John for.

Goose wasn't the only one. Magee made big waves the last few years browbeating all of those who "sold out" or "leveraged" or "took investment" from the big boys. His pivot from here will be fascinating to watch.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1573 on: September 09, 2015, 09:03:12 AM »
Favorite Oktoberfest brews?

I need a couple new ones to try.

Favorite thus far is Great Lakes Brewing.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1574 on: September 09, 2015, 09:15:41 AM »
Not one of my favorite styles, but I really like New Glarus' Staghorn and Southern Tier Harvest.