[Today at 07:46:49 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 650352 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1500 on: July 08, 2015, 09:41:08 PM »
If anyone is in Denver (or visiting), stop by Copper Kettle for some of their Sobremesa.  Tequila aged English strong ale.  Pretty awesome beer, on tap and in bombers.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1501 on: July 09, 2015, 10:41:30 AM »
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

That is the worst beer that has every existed in the history of things existing. I would let Hitler pick a different beer if someone gave him one of those.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1502 on: July 09, 2015, 11:41:45 AM »
That is the worst beer that has every existed in the history of things existing. I would let Hitler pick a different beer if someone gave him one of those.

I would have said Leinenkugel Berry Weiss, but that doesn't make you wrong. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1503 on: July 09, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »

This made my laugh out loud at my office. And I agree.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1504 on: July 09, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »

even worse than Bell's Cherry Stout?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1505 on: July 09, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »
even worse than Bell's Cherry Stout?

Definitely, it is the only beer in my life I've ever not been able to force myself to finish.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1506 on: July 09, 2015, 03:22:49 PM »
Hate to break it to you progressive beer lovers out there, but apparently you can be misogynist a-hole just by drinking the wrong beer:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2015/07/craft_beer_sexism_labels_like_raging_bitch_and_happy_ending_only_alienate.html
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1507 on: July 09, 2015, 03:25:16 PM »
Hate to break it to you progressive beer lovers out there, but apparently you can be misogynist a-hole just by drinking the wrong beer:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2015/07/craft_beer_sexism_labels_like_raging_bitch_and_happy_ending_only_alienate.html

Listen I'm a misogynist a-hole for a lot of reasons besides the beers I choose to drink....thank you very much.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1508 on: July 09, 2015, 04:17:38 PM »

All labels have to get government approval, maybe we need to revise this approval process in light of the recent Confederate flag news?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1509 on: July 12, 2015, 04:32:08 PM »
I know its a long shot, but does anyone here have extras for the Great Taste of the Midwest?  I'm about out of options, and we have 2 tickets for 3 people.

anyone? :)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1510 on: July 13, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »

Chick, what's your favorite microbrew?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1511 on: July 13, 2015, 08:48:05 PM »
Chick, what's your favorite microbrew?

I like variety too much to pick just one.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1512 on: July 14, 2015, 07:44:06 AM »
I like variety too much to pick just one.

Thoughts Glow?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1513 on: July 14, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »
From O'so Brewing's FB page re: State Fair

I wanted to take a moment to explain to everyone why O'so will not be at the Wisconsin State Fair this year. The State Fair has always been a "pay to play" which means breweries and their wholesalers pay loads of money to get their products on tap at the Micro tent (BTW, we love you Benno). State Fair is not alone in pay to play activities. Just about every large event where you see Bud or Miller as the advertised beer is pay to play.

In years past, O'so would pay along with several of our colleague breweries to gain access to the State Fair and chocked it up as an advertising opportunity. This year the fees went up so much that we decided that we could not continue with good conscience. O'so is fortunate to be at a size where we can afford to pay the $130 per half barrel (this is lower than some breweries pay because we have an awesome wholesaler in the area) but there are many great small Wisconsin breweries that produce excellent products made in this great state that can not afford the "pay to play" scheme.

It's a damn shame that Budweiser is allowed to spend so much money that they have a giant pavilion at the fair and they are not even a Wisconsin product while most Wisconsin breweries cannot afford to pay for the marketing opportunity to showcase their products. The craft breweries (and their wholesalers) that you see at the state fair make no money for producing the beer, packaging, warehousing and delivering the beer.

So when you don't see O'so at the state fair, know that we are still a vibrant, bustling brewery that makes kick ass beer. We are standing on principle and saying "No More!" We can't continue to be part of a scheme that we believe so strongly against.

Cheers!

Team O'so

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1514 on: July 14, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »
From O'so Brewing's FB page re: State Fair

I wanted to take a moment to explain to everyone why O'so will not be at the Wisconsin State Fair this year. The State Fair has always been a "pay to play" which means breweries and their wholesalers pay loads of money to get their products on tap at the Micro tent (BTW, we love you Benno). State Fair is not alone in pay to play activities. Just about every large event where you see Bud or Miller as the advertised beer is pay to play.

In years past, O'so would pay along with several of our colleague breweries to gain access to the State Fair and chocked it up as an advertising opportunity. This year the fees went up so much that we decided that we could not continue with good conscience. O'so is fortunate to be at a size where we can afford to pay the $130 per half barrel (this is lower than some breweries pay because we have an awesome wholesaler in the area) but there are many great small Wisconsin breweries that produce excellent products made in this great state that can not afford the "pay to play" scheme.

It's a damn shame that Budweiser is allowed to spend so much money that they have a giant pavilion at the fair and they are not even a Wisconsin product while most Wisconsin breweries cannot afford to pay for the marketing opportunity to showcase their products. The craft breweries (and their wholesalers) that you see at the state fair make no money for producing the beer, packaging, warehousing and delivering the beer.

So when you don't see O'so at the state fair, know that we are still a vibrant, bustling brewery that makes kick ass beer. We are standing on principle and saying "No More!" We can't continue to be part of a scheme that we believe so strongly against.

Cheers!

Team O'so

There are also many great homebrewers in Wisconsin (with or without dreams of their own start-up) who aren't even able to "pay to play" under the law.  It's hilarious that O'so wants to take this position that the State Fair is supposed to about exhibiting the best and most representative of the state (which it is) yet conveniently forget that these fairs rose to popularity by individuals exhibiting their work and wares, not businesses.  Most, if not all, "gratis" exhibitors at the state fair are either individual persons or a group of persons who aren't in the rabbit-breeding or pie-making business to make a living.

Sorry O'so, but you're a vendor, not an exhibitor, and that's a distinction you've chosen to ignore.  You have no business hawking your craft at a state or county fair unless you've paid to be there.  It's called advertising and it costs whatever someone is willing to pay for it, in this case, it's $130/hbbl.  If you're not willing to step up, somebody else will.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1515 on: July 22, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-best-craft-brewery-in-every-state-in-america

Interesting list from Thrillist, had beers from about 80% of the breweries, tough to argue with.  I disagree with New Glarus as Wisconsin's best craft though.  Don't get me wrong they have good beer and it's hard to argue with their marketing ability within the state but I'm much more partial to MKE, Central Waters or Karben4.

Though I will say I love drinking Totally Naked in the summer  8-)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1516 on: July 22, 2015, 09:32:06 AM »
I don't think MKE is very good

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1517 on: July 22, 2015, 09:39:29 AM »

Why do you say that?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1518 on: July 22, 2015, 10:07:52 AM »

I've enjoyed many bottles of their Walk Off Tripel release

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1519 on: July 22, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
I've enjoyed many bottles of their Walk Off Tripel release

I'm a big fan of their Louie's Resurrection but I'm a big fan of bourbon aged beers and porters/stouts

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1520 on: July 22, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »
MKE has a great brewery tour though. All you can drink for $10.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1521 on: July 22, 2015, 12:16:29 PM »

They have their hits and misses.  I like Litta Bitta and Increase Wheat in the summer. Louie's Resurrection is good as well.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1522 on: July 22, 2015, 12:27:28 PM »
OK, so here is the question for everyone, that may or may not be answered somewhere in this thread...but hey I'm lazy, what is each person's favorite brewery top to bottom.

Think of it as "I can only have access to one brewery on a deserted island, which one am I picking?"  And as part of it, why are you picking that brewery?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1523 on: July 22, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »
If you're limiting me to 1 brewery only (other than my own stuff), currently I'd say Central Waters partly due to familiarity, they make great bourbon barrel brews, and very solid imperial stout, DIPA and scotch ale.

Was tempted to go Russian River or Firestone Walker but am only familiar with a few of each of theirs, the CW lineup has more variety that I'm familiar with.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1524 on: July 22, 2015, 01:04:47 PM »
MKE tour is great and the guys are awesome there. There's some taste in some of their beers that I didn't like. Guess I should give then another shot.

Favorite brewery top to bottom is Pipeworks. Sometimes they get a little wild, but it works usually. Ninja v. Unicorn is my favorite available IPA.