collapse

* Recent Posts

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:24:20 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by BrewCity83
[Today at 03:23:55 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644731 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1075 on: March 22, 2013, 11:09:34 AM »
Has anyone tried MKE's Hop Happy? 

I prefer Lakefront's IPA to that. Hop Happy is alright, but there are better out there.

If you're looking for a hoppy session beer, try Founders All Day IPA. Really enjoyed it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1076 on: March 22, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »
Anyone got their hands on some KBS yet?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1077 on: March 22, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »
Anyone got their hands on some KBS yet?

Was at the brewery last week for work and they gave us a few bottles but told us to wait a few weeks before opening it. Should be hitting store shelves soon.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: March 23, 2013, 08:29:04 AM »
Release is set for April (from their website)

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #1079 on: March 23, 2013, 02:37:12 PM »
Fischman's in Jefferson Park (Chicago) is having a KBS tapping 4/4: http://www.fischmanliquors.com/p/events.html

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: May 09, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »
http://www.freep.com/article/20130508/ENT/305080168/Craft-brewing-boom-changes-Grand-Rapids-culture-economy

http://www.freep.com/article/20130509/ent1005/305090051/

If any of you guys are planning a pilgrimage, PM me.   We will toast MU together over GR's finest. 

I had my KBS for the year.   Strong.   Smooth.    You can taste the coffee, taste the chocolate, and feel the bourbon in your sinuses. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: May 09, 2013, 09:19:38 AM »
http://www.freep.com/article/20130508/ENT/305080168/Craft-brewing-boom-changes-Grand-Rapids-culture-economy

http://www.freep.com/article/20130509/ent1005/305090051/

If any of you guys are planning a pilgrimage, PM me.   We will toast MU together over GR's finest. 

I had my KBS for the year.   Strong.   Smooth.    You can taste the coffee, taste the chocolate, and feel the bourbon in your sinuses. 

I would like to do this.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: May 09, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »
Have you guys heard about what's going down at Soldier Field Saturday? http://www.americanbeerclassic.com/  Some other MU alums and I will be attending, looks pretty sweet.
Bring back FFP!!!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: May 10, 2013, 11:41:53 PM »
Sitting down with a beer and some playoff basketball... might as well post some tasting notes I had.

New Holland Night Tripper- Big imperial stout. Jet black, a thin tan head. Very good representation of the style. Would love to try it barrel aged, if they do that.

Pearl Street Stout- Really bad. Overly bitter, too carbonated. Did not care for it.

Tyranena Coffee Imperial Porter- A touch lighter than a stout. On the dry side from the oatmeal, but nice coffee/chocolate notes. Very good.

Lakefront "Chad" Barleywine- Holy balls. A huge, complex beer. Boozy, malty goodness. Bought another bottle to age.

Black Husky Pale Ale- Loved it. Dances on the Pale/IPA line, but really good. Assertively hopped, but balanced.

Black Husky Sproose Joose- Hated it. It's like they put a car air freshener in secondary fermentation. Pine flavors were overwhelming.

Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat- Had the Raspbery/Vanilla bean version from a firkin, and it was perfect. Smooth drinking stout with a touch of sweetness.

Abita Vanilla Double Dog- Had this on tap a few months back, and haven't been able to find it since. It was wonderful. I like Turbodog a lot, and they upped the strength while smoothing it out with Vanilla. Delicious.

New Glarus Edel Pils- Out of Two Women and Hometown Blonde, this was my favorite pilsner. I'm not crazy about the grassy/earthy finish those beers have, but the Edel Pils was smooth, almost creamy. Super easy drinker.

Capital Mutiny IPA- Didn't come in with terribly high expectations, since it's Capital's first IPA. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't buy it again. Unremarkable.

New Belgium Heavenly Feijoa- Not sure how much of a trippel this was. Drank more like a wild ale. Tropical sweet/tartness, and a well-hidden ABV. Interesting beer.

3 Sheeps Black Wheat- Was expecting a dunkel. Felt like I was drinking a porter. Not bad, but not one I'd seek out.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: May 10, 2013, 11:49:20 PM »
A few more...

Abita Christmas- Disappointed. Usually these types of beers have a nice toffee maltiness, or are on the hoppy side. This was neither. Not sure what it was, to be honest. Mislabeled Turbodog?

Brau Brothers Moo Joos- Run of the mill milk stout. Nothing to write home about.

Boulder Never Summer- Decent winter warmer. Only 6%, so it didn't warm too much.

New Belgium Imperial Coffee Stout- Fantastic. Coffee and chocolate blended perfectly, and no burn despite it being 9%.

Capital Eternal Flame- This year's version was an imperial maibock mixed with Autumnal Fire, and last year's Flame. A big, malty bock with enough booze to spice it up. Love this concept, hope it continues.

Sprecher Hopfuzion- Enjoyed this one a lot. The wet hop addition almost gives it some green apple qualities. Refreshing session beer.

Revolution Fistmas- First beer from them that I've tried. Not bad. Expected more of a hop prescense.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye- Really nice beer. Hops, caramel notes, with some spice from the rye to finish. Enjoyed it.

Alaskan Black IPA- Up there with NG's Black Top at the top of my list for the style. Excellent.

Dark Horse Kmita Kolsch- I love Dark Horse's beer. This one missed the mark. Poured a cloudy, dark caramel color. Not bad, but not a Kolsch.

Southern Tier Choklat- Might be my new dessert beer. Aroma was like chocolate milk, but the stout wasn't overly sweet.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: May 22, 2013, 01:28:42 PM »
Anyone have an extra bottle of KBS they would like to send/sell/trade me? 
Can't buy it in Florida and my stores in Georgia where I normally buy Breakfast Stout couldnt get their hands on any.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #1086 on: May 22, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »
I have an extra KBS I could send your way.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: May 22, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
I have an extra KBS I could send your way.

What a coincidence, I was just downloading your app.

What would you like in return?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #1088 on: May 22, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »
email me at john@thebeerfridge.com

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: June 03, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
I had a few bottles of the New Glarus 20th Anniversary Belgian Dubbel this weekend - highly recommend it if you can find it while it lasts, it is apparently in very limited quantities of 1/2 liter bottles. Otto's and Discount each have a 2 bottle limit.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: June 03, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »
Does anyone else here like Trappists? I did a full tasting of all 7 official Trappist breweries a little while back. They were all great, but to me the clear winners were Chimay Blue and Orval.

Also, I am going to Belgium later this year. Are there any great breweries that are worth checking out in person?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: June 03, 2013, 11:12:15 AM »
Does anyone else here like Trappists? I did a full tasting of all 7 official Trappist breweries a little while back. They were all great, but to me the clear winners were Chimay Blue and Orval.

Also, I am going to Belgium later this year. Are there any great breweries that are worth checking out in person?

Cantillon

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: June 03, 2013, 02:41:28 PM »

Riva! It's my Grandpa's cousin's brewery
Bring back FFP!!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1093 on: June 03, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »

We used to hit the Belgian breweries when I was stationed at Spangdahlem. Orval is the best but they are only open at certain times and it can be bloody difficult to get in. I recall they had a lottery but the base MWR was always able to get some passes so we were able to visit. Chimay is a bit remote if you are in Brussels but that only adds to the pilgrimage vibe. Achel and Rochefort are also worth visiting. There is enough geographic distribution there to make one of them accessible. Proost! 

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1094 on: June 03, 2013, 05:47:27 PM »
Riva! It's my Grandpa's cousin's brewery

That is very cool. I am not familiar with Riva but the Belgian breweries are all charming places. I think that would be a wonderful way to spend one's days. Making fine beer is a worthy craft that serves a noble purpose.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: June 04, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
We used to hit the Belgian breweries when I was stationed at Spangdahlem. Orval is the best but they are only open at certain times and it can be bloody difficult to get in. I recall they had a lottery but the base MWR was always able to get some passes so we were able to visit. Chimay is a bit remote if you are in Brussels but that only adds to the pilgrimage vibe. Achel and Rochefort are also worth visiting. There is enough geographic distribution there to make one of them accessible. Proost! 

I have looked into Orval since they are one of the best Trappists, have a guest Chalet and are somewhat accesible via public transit (basically a commuter train and a bus will get you there from Brussels). But I am a little wary because in October it looks like they have no guided tours so you are basically on your own. Orval's monastery also has ruins dating from the 11th century while Chimay was built in the last 200 years, so the history factor leans in Orval's direction.  Also wondering if you can comment on the whole visiting a monastery aspect. We are by no means out of control but we would like to drink and have a good time and wanted to make sure we wouldn't be interrupting someone's retreat or get scolded for downing a few too many.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1096 on: June 04, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
I have looked into Orval since they are one of the best Trappists, have a guest Chalet and are somewhat accesible via public transit (basically a commuter train and a bus will get you there from Brussels). But I am a little wary because in October it looks like they have no guided tours so you are basically on your own. Orval's monastery also has ruins dating from the 11th century while Chimay was built in the last 200 years, so the history factor leans in Orval's direction.  Also wondering if you can comment on the whole visiting a monastery aspect. We are by no means out of control but we would like to drink and have a good time and wanted to make sure we wouldn't be interrupting someone's retreat or get scolded for downing a few too many.

The monks are good guys. They drink their product with every meal though I recall them saying that during the week it is a watered down "3.2" version. On weekends they revert to the real thing. They are evident during the tour and are certainly approachable.

As for environment, between the Flemish, Dutch, Germans, and Brits who will likely be there you will have to shout over their raucous amusements. In the world you have Horton Roe monks and Sebastian Moore monks. The Horton Roe monk is a surly, dour, morose sort while the Sebastian Moore monk is blithe, empathetic, and discerning. The Belgian Trappists are the latter. After all, they make the world's finest beer for God's sake!

Of the four monasteries I mentioned Orval would be the must see. As I mentioned, they are less accessible than the others so find out their hours before making the trek. The tour is definitely worth it as it is far more casual and interactive than the old Pabst/Schlitz/Miller tours we took back at MU. 

Death on call

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: June 04, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »

Abbaye Notre-Dame d'Orval is one of the most enchanting pieces of land I've visited in my life. Full disclosure, I went in February just after a snowfall and saw four other people over the three hours I spent there. Much different then when most visit in the summer.

Things to know: you will not interact with the Monks; in fact, the old ruins and tutorial area as well as the shop are walled off from the cloister. The Guardian Angel is on premise and serves lighter fare and also the famous "petit" Orval of which keefe wrote about. Down the entry road is the Hotellerie d'Orval which is a smallish chalet that will err on the quieter side as does much of the surrounding area. I drove so not sure on the public transport and how accessible it really is.

As for a brewery suggestion, though in the opposite end of the country in West Flanders, the De Struise Brouwers are one of the finest examples of craftsmanship brewing in the world. Head brewer Urbain is a man of the world, Carlo is gregarious, and young Jay (Urbain's son-in-law and apprentice) loves talking with Americans. They are open only on Saturday from 2-6 in the afternoon but you could always visit St. Sixtus Abbey about four miles away for the (in)famous Westvleteren 12, 8, or Blond that morning.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: June 05, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »
The monks are good guys. They drink their product with every meal though I recall them saying that during the week it is a watered down "3.2" version. On weekends they revert to the real thing. They are evident during the tour and are certainly approachable.

That is why Trappist Ale styles are Single (for every day drinking), Double (for weekends), Triple (for special occasions) and Quads (for very special occasions).

Orval is the sheeet! Love that beer. But if you're in Belgium look up every sour and farmhouse brewery you can. They are everywhere. I am hoping I get to go on our next work trip to Belgium soon, it's been few years since they have done one but it's a beer lovers dream.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: June 05, 2013, 09:16:48 AM »
I studied in antwerp for 6 mos while at Marquette.  It ruined me on domestic beers..
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt