collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644840 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #625 on: April 29, 2011, 02:22:12 PM »
Are any other Scoopers heading to Dark Lord Day tomorrow? I have "A" Group tickets. I am personally looking forward to the new set up.

no but I wouldn't mind trading for a bottle to see what it's like

have fun and don't drink too much while in line  ;)

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #626 on: April 29, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »
Are any other Scoopers heading to Dark Lord Day tomorrow? I have "A" Group tickets. I am personally looking forward to the new set up.

I will be there with two A and two C tickets.  I am looking forward to tasting it as well.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #627 on: April 29, 2011, 05:46:20 PM »
Ill be there 8ppl all with C tickets. How packed is it? I've never been.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #628 on: April 29, 2011, 06:09:06 PM »
Let me know in anyone wants to trade me a bottle of Dark Lord. I have '09 and '10 Abyss, and other stuff you may be interested in.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #629 on: May 01, 2011, 08:00:10 PM »
Sam Adams Millenium is solid...more port style than beer.  Wax sealed, etc.

Fuller's Vintage Ale is about $25/bottle, but Y U M M Y!

Left Hand Milk Stout is the BOMB....coffee and chocolate in a delicious American Stout.

Bell's Oberon is a solid American White Ale.

Bear Republic Racer V if you like hoppy IPAs.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #630 on: May 01, 2011, 08:19:09 PM »
Sam Adams Millenium is solid...more port style than beer.  Wax sealed, etc.

How'd you manage to get Millenium? I think that stuff is super rare, and supposedly tastes great.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #631 on: May 02, 2011, 01:03:47 AM »
Left Hand Milk Stout is the BOMB....coffee and chocolate in a delicious American Stout.

I've probably said it elsewhere in this thread, but since I drive by left hand twice a day, and it's in stumbling distance from my house...milk stout on tap is so much better than the bottled form...if you've got a bunch of it around, try a car bomb with MS instead of the usual Guinness...and if you happen to get by left hand's tap house they frequently have MS on nitro as a special treat.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #632 on: May 02, 2011, 08:24:19 AM »
I've probably said it elsewhere in this thread, but since I drive by left hand twice a day, and it's in stumbling distance from my house...milk stout on tap is so much better than the bottled form...if you've got a bunch of it around, try a car bomb with MS instead of the usual Guinness...and if you happen to get by left hand's tap house they frequently have MS on nitro as a special treat.

Nitro MS is the best. In Milwaukee both Comet Cafe and Roman's pour it this way. I know Comet tried to replace Guiness full time on nitro with MS but couldn't because the Milwaukee distributor is such a POS and couldn't make deliveries on time. But yes, it is a fantastic brew.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #633 on: May 02, 2011, 10:08:53 AM »
I've tried both of the recent New Glarus Unplugged, er, Thumbprint series, the IIPA was OK but not that special IMO but I do like the Imperial Weizen quite a bit, very hoppy for a weizen, maybe too much so for what some expect in a wheat but I love hops!

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #634 on: May 02, 2011, 10:55:23 AM »
I worked for a distributor that sold Sam Adams until 2003.  Millennium was the only thing they produced ever really worth drinking.

Left Hand Milk Stout is amazing on draft.  Especially nitro pour.  They make some great hop beers too.  Mix it as a black and tan or with the sacrilegious berry weiss (or Fruili) and get a chocolate covered strawberry.  Much better than Young's too.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #635 on: May 02, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »
Through a Beer School event, I discovered Wild Onion's Paddy Pale Ale.  Wild Onion is a pub and brewery in Lake Barrington, IL.  Their beers are sold in cans, and the Pale Ale is well worth checking out.  Just a solid, solid beer.

http://onionpub.com/Ill%20and%20Wis%20Retailers.pdf
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #636 on: May 02, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »
I picked up a bottle of DFH Squall and the DFH 90 minute IPA and honestly like the Squall more

I'd agree with this. Tried the Squall last month and it was wonderful. Also had a bottle of the IIPA, and had some mixed feelings. I know New Glarus is all about sessionability, but I think they sacrificed some of what makes the style good. Was a little too sweet for my liking. Also tried a few others-

Victory Golden Monkey- Not a bad tripel. Needed more of that belgian spice to it though. Hides the 9.5% pretty well though.

Bell's Oarsman- A light wheat ale, with some distinct tartness. Not a bad summer option. Light and drinkable, but nothing terribly remarkable about it.

O'so Big O- Another lighter wheat ale. Decent wheat presence with some citrusy notes. Compares a bit to the Wheat Monkey from Lakefront.

O'so Dank- Imperial Red. Very interesting beer. Not barrel aged, but had some of those flavors in it. Strong hop presence, but then a heavy malty sweetness to balance. Not one you can drink all night, but enjoyable.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #637 on: May 03, 2011, 11:35:31 PM »
Sipping on a Special Reserve Black Ale from Dark Horse Brewing right now. Kind of a portery-stouty monstrosity. But it's delicious. Pours pitch black, with a tan head. Lots of roasted malt and coffee up front, smoothed out by some chocolate notes. This beer hides its 7.5% ABV very well. This is the third beer I've had from Dark Horse, and I've really liked all of them.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #638 on: May 04, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »
Left Hand "Fade To Black" is a stout that pours like a porter too, I LOVE IT!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #639 on: May 10, 2011, 08:45:08 AM »
Left Hand "Fade To Black" is a stout that pours like a porter too, I LOVE IT!

Agreed, their Milk Stout is even better, imo.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #640 on: May 10, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »
Agreed, their Milk Stout is even better, imo.

My absolute favorite beer.  But what is this nitro pour/tap that people are referring to?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #641 on: May 10, 2011, 11:37:49 AM »
My absolute favorite beer.  But what is this nitro pour/tap that people are referring to?

They tap the beer with nitrogen rather than CO2. It makes the beer really creamy and smooth.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #642 on: May 10, 2011, 12:53:26 PM »
Had a tripel karmeliet the other day. Amazing flavor absolutely delicious

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #643 on: May 11, 2011, 10:06:46 AM »
had a few at the Sugar Maple last night

O'so dominator Doppel, meh, just OK IMO
Southern Tier 2X-IPA, liked this one quite a bit, very hoppy (Cascade hops?)
Adrienne mentioned that Avery was pulling out of WI now and recomended their DuganA IIPA especially since it was their last keg of Avery, also was very good but no where near as hopped up as I am accustomed to for an Imperial IPA, more like a normal IPA

MUHoopsfan6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #644 on: May 12, 2011, 12:18:45 PM »
Leinenkugels Creamy Dark is my personal favorite at this moment.  Here are some reviews http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/2940

If I have to drink something else I grab a Miller High Life.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #645 on: May 13, 2011, 12:34:57 AM »
Leinenkugels Creamy Dark is my personal favorite at this moment.  Here are some reviews http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/2940

If I have to drink something else I grab a Miller High Life.

You've got a pretty tough crowd here with those.  Folks on this thread (myself included) tend to go with some pretty unique craft beers.  Of all the Leinie's beers, I'd say that Creamy Dark is my favorite, but given the choice there are a ton of other beers I'd try. 

If you want another great, local, dark lager from people that know their beer, try the Furthermore Oscura (Spring Green, WI), or Stone's Bombastic (not local, but Stone is a fantastic brewery).

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #646 on: May 13, 2011, 01:05:18 AM »
Folks on this thread (myself included) tend to go with some pretty unique craft beers.  Of all the Leinie's beers, I'd say that Creamy Dark is my favorite, but given the choice there are a ton of other beers I'd try.

Agreed that Creamy Dark is the only Leinie I'd drink. Seems to be the only one that they haven't screwed with.

To MUHoopsfan6- If you're interested in trying some new styles/breweries, take a read through this thread. I've given my thoughts on a lot of beers in here, and also have tried a lot based on others recommendations. Leinie's is a decent starting point, but there's a lot out there to explore if you want. Cheers!

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #647 on: May 13, 2011, 02:48:49 AM »
Leinie's Big Eddy was pretty good.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #648 on: May 13, 2011, 09:43:51 AM »
finally got my hands on a Left Hand Milk Stout - holy hell. believe the hype. its remarkably smooth the whole way, almost like the entire beer is made of a foamy head. unreal.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #649 on: May 13, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »
finally got my hands on a Left Hand Milk Stout - holy hell. believe the hype. its remarkably smooth the whole way, almost like the entire beer is made of a foamy head. unreal.

Now, if you like Left Hand's Milk Stout, try to find a place with Lake Louie's Milk Stout on tap.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamazing.

feedback