collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644841 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #600 on: March 24, 2011, 12:05:23 PM »
  They don't say how many each person is alotted that has tickets. I've heard is usually 2-3 bottles per person. Should be a drunk fest, but looking forward to it outside of the fact that it is in Munster, IN.

Last year we got 4 bottles per ticket and I believe this year is the same. Though last year we were allowed to purchase 1 bottle of 2009 if you wanted to - which I did.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #601 on: March 25, 2011, 09:50:30 AM »
that KBS will taste alot better if you let it warm up some after taking it out of the fridge, I'm sure you do that anyway but thought I'd mention just in case

I had not been doing that.  My ignorance is exposed and now I hang my head in shame.  But you have helped teach me something new.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #602 on: March 25, 2011, 10:34:37 AM »
I had not been doing that.  My ignorance is exposed and now I hang my head in shame.  But you have helped teach me something new.

Had some KBS last night at a local watering hole - outstanding as usual. I actually prefer it to Dark Lord.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #603 on: March 25, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
I drank one during the Xavier game and then one during the Syracuse game.  There is a bottle of KBS in the fridge now, pulled up from the beer cellar (okay - really a shelf in the basement) for tomorrow's game.

My apologies, but it looks like the Final Four is as far as we will go this year. 

Somebody get HS some more KBS!

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #604 on: March 25, 2011, 12:00:25 PM »
Had some KBS last night at a local watering hole - outstanding as usual. I actually prefer it to Dark Lord.

Headed out to Roman's? I was thinking about it, but it's like a 45 minute bus ride for me... and I don't enjoy riding the bus very much.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #605 on: March 25, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »
Headed out to Roman's? I was thinking about it, but it's like a 45 minute bus ride for me... and I don't enjoy riding the bus very much.

it's a 6 minute walk for me. bruno at the palms also has/had a barrel too. the only 2 the city got. was talking with brian about it last night and mike is trying to get a 2nd barrel.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #606 on: March 25, 2011, 02:09:41 PM »
it's a 6 minute walk for me. bruno at the palms also has/had a barrel too. the only 2 the city got. was talking with brian about it last night and mike is trying to get a 2nd barrel.

you must practically be my brother's neighbor, he can walk to Romans also (lives on E. Cora)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:20:06 PM by Homebrew101 »

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #607 on: March 25, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »
Good luck beers for the game?  I always have a Milwaukee product during.  High life, as a rule of thumb.  Suggestions?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #608 on: April 01, 2011, 11:03:11 PM »
Made a trip to Discount tonight, and got some interesting info. First of all, they still had plenty of Dogfish still on  the shelves, because apparently Beechwood is still getting product from DFH. So anyone looking to stock up, there's still time.

Here's the interesting part. Beechwood is looking into legal action against DFH because of a contract that was in place. So we might not be cut off quite yet.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #609 on: April 01, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »
Made a trip to Discount tonight, and got some interesting info. First of all, they still had plenty of Dogfish still on  the shelves, because apparently Beechwood is still getting product from DFH. So anyone looking to stock up, there's still time.

Here's the interesting part. Beechwood is looking into legal action against DFH because of a contract that was in place. So we might not be cut off quite yet.

Did you notice if they had the new New Glarus in yet... the IIPA?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #610 on: April 01, 2011, 11:06:30 PM »
Had some Chimay Blue last night, still wonderful.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #611 on: April 01, 2011, 11:24:27 PM »
Did you notice if they had the new New Glarus in yet... the IIPA?

I wasn't looking for it, so I'm not sure.

Just checked the website, they're doing a tasting of NG beers tomorrow and it was on the list. So I'm guessing they'll have it there for sale.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #612 on: April 02, 2011, 08:15:51 AM »

Mike Roman said the exact same thing.

Took a trip to Three Floyds on Friday for lunch and got to try both Zombie Dust and Topless Wytch.

Zombie Dust is an IPA featuring just Cirta hops. Hit was good with a strong a orange / grapefruit flavor - but not as good as Gumball Head IMO.

Topless Wytch is a porter they made which was FANTASTIC. Lots of chocolate and coffee flavors in it and 9.0% to boot. Loved it.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #613 on: April 02, 2011, 08:32:46 AM »
Off to NERAX, a Cask Beer Festival in a bit here in Somerville, MA.  60-70 casks flowing at any one time.

Here is the American List.
http://www.nerax.org/nerax/us-beers.html

And ones from the UK.
http://www.nerax.org/nerax/uk-beers.html

Boo yah.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #614 on: April 11, 2011, 03:45:17 PM »
Tried the New Glarus IIPA this weekend on tap at Romans'. I hated. Didn't even finish the glass. The beer was obnoxiously sweet with not enough hop flavor to balance it out. Complete failure.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #615 on: April 11, 2011, 05:09:56 PM »
Tried the New Glarus IIPA this weekend on tap at Romans'. I hated. Didn't even finish the glass. The beer was obnoxiously sweet with not enough hop flavor to balance it out. Complete failure.

Got kicked out of Romans this week, guess he doesn't really like young college-aged kids. Can't really say I blame him.

We walked in, ordered beers, and sat in the corner. We weren't doing anything wrong except my friend was pretty visibly drunk. When my friend went to order his second beer, Roman told him, "Nope, when your buddy(me) finishes his beer you guys are out the door." Then someone came out and wrote down our license plate when we left, luckily we had a DD. Weird experience to say the least, the bar definitely had a towny 'we don't take kindly to strangers' feel to it.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #616 on: April 11, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »
Got kicked out of Romans this week, guess he doesn't really like young college-aged kids. Can't really say I blame him.

We walked in, ordered beers, and sat in the corner. We weren't doing anything wrong except my friend was pretty visibly drunk. When my friend went to order his second beer, Roman told him, "Nope, when your buddy(me) finishes his beer you guys are out the door." Then someone came out and wrote down our license plate when we left, luckily we had a DD. Weird experience to say the least, the bar definitely had a towny 'we don't take kindly to strangers' feel to it.

You got to meet Mike. You have to act like an adult or he will boot you out unless he knows you. It is a neighborhood tavern not Murphs. Also, if you have a lot of people ordering "ball wash" aka any domestic macro beer you are to be made example of.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #617 on: April 11, 2011, 06:10:02 PM »
UGH.  Don't live in MKE anymore, but was excited to visit Roman's next time I was home.  Chili, make it sound kinda hipster in-crowd, too cool for school kinda place.  If I order a Miller Lite in that place (not that I would), I will be made an example of?  I would hope anyone that comes in there, who orders something off their menu will be treated with respect. I don't need some beer jockey with a chain wallet telling me what to drink.

Now drunken college kids, that's another story.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:12:09 PM by reinko »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #618 on: April 11, 2011, 10:19:01 PM »

Hmmm. I had a sample of it last weekend and thought it was pretty good. I'll have to have a full glass soon to check it out.

Did buy a sixer of the Two Women lager. Very solid pilsner, a bit more full bodied than I expected but still very drinkable.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #619 on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:01 AM »
UGH.  Don't live in MKE anymore, but was excited to visit Roman's next time I was home.  Chili, make it sound kinda hipster in-crowd, too cool for school kinda place.  If I order a Miller Lite in that place (not that I would), I will be made an example of?  I would hope anyone that comes in there, who orders something off their menu will be treated with respect. I don't need some beer jockey with a chain wallet telling me what to drink.

Now drunken college kids, that's another story.

This is not a hipster spot Mike Roman is FAR from a hipster. He actually just has a huge ego. I mean Kelvin Sampson and his wife are regulars. I think it's a perfect bar. 3 big HD TV's, great cigar collection, best tap beer selection in Milwaukee, great whiskey collect.....but it can be a big beer snob bar. But that is the point, the reason people go there is to drink the good beers. The bar has been there for about 70 years and has been a craft beer bar now like 20+.,...hell I got tossed the first time I went bc my friends were too hammered after the MU vs. ND game two years ago. You live and you learn and either you love the bar or you dont.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #620 on: April 12, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
This is not a hipster spot Mike Roman is FAR from a hipster. He actually just has a huge ego. I mean Kelvin Sampson and his wife are regulars. I think it's a perfect bar. 3 big HD TV's, great cigar collection, best tap beer selection in Milwaukee, great whiskey collect.....but it can be a big beer snob bar. But that is the point, the reason people go there is to drink the good beers. The bar has been there for about 70 years and has been a craft beer bar now like 20+.,...hell I got tossed the first time I went bc my friends were too hammered after the MU vs. ND game two years ago. You live and you learn and either you love the bar or you dont.

How many handles do they typically have at Romans?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #621 on: April 12, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #622 on: April 12, 2011, 10:17:36 AM »
I like Romans but Mike has his days that he can be moody. Mrs. HB often will drink Miller Lite at Romans, not a problem for the little lady from Mike.

I also tried the NG IIPA but need to have more to judge, kind of a bad time for the first bottle.

I picked up a bottle of DFH Squall and the DFH 90 minute IPA and honestly like the Squall more

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #623 on: April 12, 2011, 02:58:30 PM »
http://www.romanspub.com/

Thanks for the link.

My buddy (a fellow Scooper) and I will be popping our Romans cherry this weekend. Being from out of town it's always good to hit unique spots back in Milwaukee. Looking forward to my pints.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #624 on: April 29, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »
Are any other Scoopers heading to Dark Lord Day tomorrow? I have "A" Group tickets. I am personally looking forward to the new set up.

feedback