[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644688 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #575 on: February 07, 2011, 12:24:06 PM »
Glad to hear you checked out the tour!  I really liked the one HUGE fan that replaced something like 66 small fans throughout.

I was surprised at their array of beers, and willingness to experiment.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #576 on: February 19, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »
Drank R.J. King Wingwalker Amber Ale while I watched the game tonight.

Blech. Not good. Tastes way too watery for an amber ale and leaves a nasty aftertaste.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #577 on: February 28, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »
I had the Central Waters Peruvian Morning, a bourbon barrel aged coffee stout, on tap at Roman's Friday. This is an excellent beer IMO, great bourbon flavor, not too strong of a coffee flavor (a plus IMO).

A bit pricey at $7.50/tap; checked it out at Discount and they are only selling individual bottles at $5 although beer advocate reviews show this is typically about $12/4 pack.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #578 on: March 15, 2011, 11:13:34 PM »
Have sampled a bunch since my last post. Probably will split this one up.

New Glarus Smoked Rye- Had it on tap at Sugar Maple. It was... interesting. Can't say I was a fan. Had a smoked meat aroma, the taste up front was alright, had some malt and a bit of spice. The finish is all smokey. Just not my style.

Lakefront IBA- Picked up a bomber of this, and it was a really interesting beer. Very dark, but not terribly heavy. IPA flavors hit you right away, with a roasty finish. Pretty smooth and surprisingly, two contrasting tastes worked pretty well.

Capital Weizen Doppelbock- I'm always drawn to Kirby's creations, so I tried one of these. It's more or less an amped up hefeweizen. All the right tastes, just stronger. Pretty delicious beer. The closest comparison I'd have would be Dancing Man, but heavier.

O'So Night Train- Had this one for the first time a couple weekends ago, and not sure why I waited. A delicious, roasty porter. A lot of chocolate, oat, and coffee notes with some nice bitterness to finish. Pretty complex beer, once that could end up being a go-to porter.

Tyranena Down 'N Dirty Chocolate Oatmeal Stout- The best way to describe this is Founders Breakfast Stout without the espresso. Wonderful chocolate flavor, sweet, but balanced by the oats. Really creamy, easy drinking stout. Surprisingly full bodied for a lower ABV.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #579 on: March 15, 2011, 11:41:23 PM »
The rest of this post is dedicated to the Dark Lord. Shared a bottle of that with friends last month and it was remarkable.

Hinterland Maple Bock- This one was too intriguing for me to pass up. Poured a deep, clear brown with a good amount of head. Very roasty at first, followed by more coffee notes than you'd expect in a bock. The maple sweetness comes through at the end. Was almost hoping for more maple, but it was pretty good.

Milwaukee Brewing Baltic Porter- Sampled this on tour, then had it on tap later on. And kudos to those who recommended the tour, it was fantastic. Right up there with Lakefront. Anyway, I really liked this beer. Had good porter characteristics with barrel aging. The nice thing about it was the bourbon taste complimented the roasted notes of the porter rather than dominate the taste. A bit thinner than other porters I've had, but it worked.

Dark Horse Amber- Hadn't had much from them, so I figured the amber was a good place to start. It's not your run of the mill amber, and I'm cool with that. It's unfiltered, with a Belgian yeast used. This gave the beer some interesting flavors. The standard amber malts were still there, but it had some fruity/spicy/funkiness from the yeast. Ambers can get boring, but this one was far from it. Will buy it again.

Dogfish Head Aprihop- This beer makes me sad that they are pulling out of WI. I love their product, and this might be my favorite, since it is the closest to sessionable I've had from them. Had similar tastes to Magic Hat #9, but the hops are much bolder. The apricot balanced it out wonderfully. Never been a big fruit beer guy, but I enjoyed this a ton.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #580 on: March 16, 2011, 09:20:31 AM »
Dogfish Head Aprihop- This beer makes me sad that they are pulling out of WI. I love their product, and this might be my favorite, since it is the closest to sessionable I've had from them. Had similar tastes to Magic Hat #9, but the hops are much bolder. The apricot balanced it out wonderfully. Never been a big fruit beer guy, but I enjoyed this a ton.

DFH is pulling out too? Crap, hadn't heard that, Stone and now DFH, argh!

nice reviews btw, interesting to read other people's likes/dislikes

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #581 on: March 16, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
DFH is pulling out too? Crap, hadn't heard that, Stone and now DFH, argh!

nice reviews btw, interesting to read other people's likes/dislikes

Yeah, they are pulling out of four states, and we didn't make the cut. I've been to three places looking for 90 Minute and all are sold out already. It's a shame.

Happy to do the reviews! I've tried some really good beers based on posts from this thread, hope it helps others find some new ones.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #582 on: March 16, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
Had the FOunders Imperial Stout this weekend, and was very good.  Very anxious to get my KBS, order was placed yesterday. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #583 on: March 16, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »
If you haven't taken the "Milwaukee Brewing Company" tour, they can all of their beer.  Its a great tour... Cuz its all you can drink!

Is it really all you can drink? I just checked out their website and it doesn't mention this. It also doesn't mention any limit on beers but I would think they would market it as all you can drink- or maybe they wouldn't as the word would spread like wildfire and they be overrun with people looking to get free beer.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #584 on: March 16, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »
Is it really all you can drink? I just checked out their website and it doesn't mention this. It also doesn't mention any limit on beers but I would think they would market it as all you can drink- or maybe they wouldn't as the word would spread like wildfire and they be overrun with people looking to get free beer.

it was definitely all you can drink last month when we took it, they even encouraged us to hang around and drink more after the tour but I'd already had probably 9 beers and had a token for another at a local bar they gave us (like Lakefront does as well)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #585 on: March 16, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »
For those going to Cleveland to see MU check out the Great Lakes beer pretty much sold everywhere.  I recomend the Dortmunder Gold.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #586 on: March 16, 2011, 03:07:24 PM »

Definitely, went again last weekend and had another great time.  The guys are all really knowledgeable and are willing to talk about anything.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #587 on: March 16, 2011, 03:15:23 PM »
Definitely, went again last weekend and had another great time.  The guys are all really knowledgeable and are willing to talk about anything.

swwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeetttttttt. Looks like i know where my next saturday booze fest will take place.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #588 on: March 16, 2011, 09:08:05 PM »
Dark Horse Amber- Hadn't had much from them, so I figured the amber was a good place to start.

I'm a big Dark Horse fan and have mentioned some of their other beers in this thread.  Everything I've had from them is good... and their Blueberry Stout (one of five stouts they release each year) is delish.  My point?  Try some of their other beers.

If you haven't taken the "Milwaukee Brewing Company" tour, they can all of their beer.  Its a great tour... Cuz its all you can drink!

Thanks to your recommendation, some friends of mine took this tour.  They were thinking about a Lakefront tour and I said, "hey, I've heard good things about Milwaukee Brewing Company.  Try that one instead".  One is a pretty big beer nerd and he spoke very highly.

Had the FOunders Imperial Stout this weekend, and was very good.  Very anxious to get my KBS, order was placed yesterday. 

Got the call yesterday.  I can pick up my four-pack of KBS on Friday... and I'm thinking it'll be picked up before 6:30.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #589 on: March 16, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »
For those going to Cleveland to see MU check out the Great Lakes beer pretty much sold everywhere.  I recomend the Dortmunder Gold.

I've had many of the Edmund Fitzgerald's while visiting friends in the lower peninsula of Michigan.  Good stuff. 
Ludum habemus.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #590 on: March 18, 2011, 03:57:39 PM »
scored 2 four packs of KBS today - woot!

make that 5, I'm up for trades if anyone is interested

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree on FES, the best Guiness has to offer IMO, always wondered when they'd finally sell that in the US
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:25:25 AM by Homebrew101 »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #591 on: March 19, 2011, 02:02:24 AM »
For the St. Paddy's Day Hoops Marathon I picked up a bomber of Three Floyd's Brian Boru and a 4 pack of the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout.

The Brian Boru didn't make it to Thursday. It was delicious. Poured a copper color with a citrus hop aroma. The taste had some hops, but balanced with a good deal of toasty malt and fruit notes. Have yet to have a beer from there that I haven't liked.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Foreign Extra. It was like a Guinness, but amped up. It was really good. I wish they'd have that on nitro at bars instead of the original.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #592 on: March 19, 2011, 02:34:51 PM »
scored 2 four packs of KBS today - woot!

make that 5, I'm up for trades if anyone is interested

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree on FES, the best Guiness has to offer IMO, always wondered when they'd finally sell that in the US

PM sent. This post made me come out of lurking mode.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #593 on: March 24, 2011, 07:43:47 AM »
  Anyone every been to Dark Lord Day at Three Floyds?

I got tickets for it but have heard mixed reviews.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #594 on: March 24, 2011, 08:01:22 AM »
  Anyone every been to Dark Lord Day at Three Floyds?

I got tickets for it but have heard mixed reviews.

I'll buy your tickets.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #595 on: March 24, 2011, 08:02:13 AM »
I'll buy your tickets.

If he doesn't I will.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #596 on: March 24, 2011, 08:36:45 AM »
I picked up a four pack of KBS, and this was the first time I'd ever had it.  It was really good, but I'm not sure that it lives up to the hype.  Of course, the hype may have been just too much in my mind.

I drank one during the Xavier game and then one during the Syracuse game.  There is a bottle of KBS in the fridge now, pulled up from the beer cellar (okay - really a shelf in the basement) for tomorrow's game.

My apologies, but it looks like the Final Four is as far as we will go this year. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #597 on: March 24, 2011, 08:39:30 AM »
I picked up a four pack of KBS, and this was the first time I'd ever had it.  It was really good, but I'm not sure that it lives up to the hype.  Of course, the hype may have been just too much in my mind.

I drank one during the Xavier game and then one during the Syracuse game.  There is a bottle of KBS in the fridge now, pulled up from the beer cellar (okay - really a shelf in the basement) for tomorrow's game.

My apologies, but it looks like the Final Four is as far as we will go this year. 

I like your idea of good luck beers.  In solidarity, I will be once again picking up a growler of Berkshire Brewing Company (BBC) Lost Sailor IPA. 

Not sure if BBC ships outside of this area (New England), but if you kind find, very good local stuf.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #598 on: March 24, 2011, 10:49:58 AM »

that KBS will taste alot better if you let it warm up some after taking it out of the fridge, I'm sure you do that anyway but thought I'd mention just in case

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'll gladly trade KBS for Dark Lord if anyone gets any

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #599 on: March 24, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »
  They don't say how many each person is alotted that has tickets. I've heard is usually 2-3 bottles per person. Should be a drunk fest, but looking forward to it outside of the fact that it is in Munster, IN.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

feedback