[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644719 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #400 on: May 17, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »
Had some Two Brothers Domaine DuPage this weekend.  As stated before, Two Brothers is the local brewery out here in the western burbs of Chicagoland.  They have tried to focus on making lesser known styles of beer.  For example, Two Bros only released a standard IPA in April, and even that is oak-aged.

Anyways, Domaine DuPage is a French Countryside Ale.  Higher in malt, low bitterness, but still enough hops to make it crisp.  It was great with food.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #401 on: May 17, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
2010 Milwaukee Brewfest

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=100778959968255&ref=ts

Just saw this. Seems a bit steep, but a decent amount of breweries. Think they'll let designated drivers in for free?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #402 on: May 17, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
Had two new ones this weekend.

First was the Magic Hat Wacko. Very interesting beer, pours a bright red color with a white head. Kind of thin mouthfeel with dry, grainy flavors. Sweetened a bit by beet sugar, which gave it the unique color. It's not a bad summer drinker, as it's pretty light and not terribly bitter.

Then I had Great Lakes Holy Moses. It's ther summer witbier, and not what I expected at all. It was typical of a belgian wheat in many ways, except very spicy. Apparently they added chamomile to it, which gave it kind of a funky taste. Didn't enjoy this one all that much.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #403 on: May 20, 2010, 08:02:42 AM »
Beer related story.

I own some stock in Black Art Beer(BLVI), and recently a buddy (also a shareholder) called the company to ask where we could buy a shirt...

6 days later he received a box in the mail with 23 shirts and 4 hats.

I was impressed, as I could never imagine a major beer company doing this for a couple guys that collectively own a very small number of shares.

As for their beer: the Black Lager is good and would compare it to a Shiner Black or 1554.  The Gold Lager is marginal at best and I would not recommend it.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #404 on: May 20, 2010, 10:02:44 PM »
Got a free bottle of Grain Belt tonight. Still trying to figure out why you crazy Minnesotans rave about it so. I mean it's not bad, but nothin to write home about.

Also had the Madtown Nutbrown from Ale Asylum for the first time. Very, very good. Full flavored, smooth finish, very drinkable and not the least bit bitter. I've yet to have a bad beer from them yet.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #405 on: May 20, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
Got a free bottle of Grain Belt tonight. Still trying to figure out why you crazy Minnesotans rave about it so. I mean it's not bad, but nothin to write home about.

Also had the Madtown Nutbrown from Ale Asylum for the first time. Very, very good. Full flavored, smooth finish, very drinkable and not the least bit bitter. I've yet to have a bad beer from them yet.

Its a sweeter High Life, that is all. It's a good summer beer.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #406 on: May 24, 2010, 09:21:29 AM »
Avery Brewing's Salvation Ale - Their Belgian-style Ale.  Meh.

More Two Brothers! - Their Dog Days Dortmunder Style Lager.  It's a seasonal release.  I really liked this one, and think it's a great summer beer.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #407 on: May 25, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »
Had the Brewery Ommegang Triple on draft at Sugar Maple - delish
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #408 on: May 25, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »
Got a free bottle of Grain Belt tonight. Still trying to figure out why you crazy Minnesotans rave about it so.

I have lived here for 15 years and I have never heard anyone who lives here rave about it or even say it is very good.  I would compare GB's loyal drinkers here to Old Style drinkers in Chicago, where I am from.  Nothing special at all.

Its a sweeter High Life, that is all. It's a good summer beer.

It is sweeter and has a hint of caramel.  A good summer beer for some but not for me.

Grain Belt is being brewed by the Schell's Brewery in New Ulm, MN after almost going out of business about 8 years ago. Schell's saved it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 03:22:07 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #409 on: May 25, 2010, 04:59:42 PM »
I have lived here for 15 years and I have never heard anyone who lives here rave about it or even say it is very good.  I would compare GB's loyal drinkers here to Old Style drinkers in Chicago, where I am from.  Nothing special at all. It is sweeter and has a hint of caramel.  A good summer beer for some but not for me.

Grain Belt is being brewed by the Schell's Brewery in New Ulm, MN after almost going out of business about 8 years ago. Schell's saved it.

Fair enough. To be honest the people I've heard talk about it were people from MN who were in Milwaukee. Must be like me and Yuengling. Tastes better when you only get it every now and then.

Had Surly's IPA when I was up there this past weekend. Pretty good stuff.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #410 on: May 25, 2010, 05:15:33 PM »
Fair enough. To be honest the people I've heard talk about it were people from MN who were in Milwaukee. Must be like me and Yuengling. Tastes better when you only get it every now and then.

Had Surly's IPA when I was up there this past weekend. Pretty good stuff.

Surly Abrasive (9.7% ABV) is a pretty good beer also.  Seasonal that comes out in April and is gone by the beginning of May.  I am betting you had the Furious...also good stuff...and their most popular beer.

I have a handful of friends who own bars here and some have Surly and some don't.  They actually have a 3-6 month wait list for a tavern/liquor store to be able to stock their beer, sometimes longer.

http://www.surlybrewing.com/beer/surly-beer-find-bars.html

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #411 on: May 28, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »
I know it isn't new, and I realize I am eating crow on this one, but New Belgium's "Mighty Arrow" is actually really good.

Ale Asylum's Trappist IPA, "Bedlam" is a cant miss.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #412 on: May 29, 2010, 08:35:42 AM »
Looking for a good Summer Ale, any suggestions?  I have had the Sam Adams version and enjoy it.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #413 on: May 29, 2010, 09:18:39 AM »
Looking for a good Summer Ale, any suggestions?  I have had the Sam Adams version and enjoy it.

Shipyard makes a great one.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #414 on: May 29, 2010, 09:20:27 AM »
Shipyard makes a great one.
available nationally?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #415 on: May 30, 2010, 05:16:50 AM »
I was just lucky enough to snag two bottles of Pliny the Elder, one bottle of Supplication, and one bottle of Iron Horse Quilter's Irish Death.

For those of you who don't know, pliny and supplication are two of the most sought after beers in america, and they are rated 7 and 14 respectively in the world.

I drank one of the pliny's, and while it is a great beer I think it is slightly overrated. I mean, it is not THAT much better than other ipa's such as celebration, two-hearted, etc. That said, it is definitely a world class beer, amazingly hopy and smooth. For such a strong beer, you could really drink these all day.

I am very excited to finally get my hands on supplication, and I will be saving that one for a special occasion.

The Irish Death is an imperial stout that is supposed to be quite sweet almost like an oatmeal/milk stout.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/7971

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/22227/?sort=latest&start=0

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11212/38703
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #416 on: May 30, 2010, 05:19:19 AM »

Sierra Nevada makes a pretty good one too. You should be able to find it no problem.
BEARS STILL SUCK

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #417 on: May 31, 2010, 07:11:12 PM »
Surly Abrasive (9.7% ABV) is a pretty good beer also.  Seasonal that comes out in April and is gone by the beginning of May.  I am betting you had the Furious...also good stuff...and their most popular beer.

I don't know about MUfan12, but my workplace just recently acquired both some Abrasive and Furious (yeah, I know...cool).  Only tried the Abrasive so far, and it was very good.  Not nearly as harsh as the name might imply.

I was just lucky enough to snag two bottles of Pliny the Elder, one bottle of Supplication, and one bottle of Iron Horse Quilter's Irish Death.

In Colorado we're blessed to have quite a few places that serve a number of highly sought after brews on tap - Falling rock Tap House in Denver is phenomenal.    However, oskar blues homemade liquids & solids in my hometown of Longmont has 43 awesome guest taps including Pliny the Elder (here's their full beer list ).  Anyhow, if you ever get a chance to drink out this way, I highly suggest stopping at a couple of these places - with a designated driver of course!

Can't beat having some of these beers on tap.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #418 on: June 07, 2010, 01:19:55 AM »
Just picked up a bottle of The Abyss. Has anyone tried this beast? I'm debating whether to drink it now or cellar it for a year or so.
BEARS STILL SUCK

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #419 on: June 08, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »
Anyone try the new Bud Light Wheat yet?  I am guessing it is so-so, but that is simply based on 75% of their product line falling into that category.

I was wrong about this beer.  To call it so-so would be an insult to mediocre beers everywhere.
 :-\

I guess "clever" commercials do not equal good beer.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #420 on: June 21, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »
I was saddened Friday night at the Sugar Maple to learn the DFH Palo Santo was gone but then I tried Upland's Double Dragonfly DIPA - I liked that one quite a bit, had not tried any Upland brews before

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #421 on: June 21, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
Surly Brewing's owner won the region's Ernst and Young award.

Omar Ansari won the E&Y award in the Consumer Products category in the Upper Midwest Category (MN, WI and the Dakotas). This makes him eligible to compete for the national awards, which will be handed out in November.

http://mnbeer.com/2010/06/10/entrepreneur-of-the-year/

http://www.surlybrewing.com/index.html
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:58:03 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #422 on: June 21, 2010, 03:56:29 PM »
I was saddened Friday night at the Sugar Maple to learn the DFH Palo Santo was gone but then I tried Upland's Double Dragonfly DIPA - I liked that one quite a bit, had not tried any Upland brews before

Upland has quite a few really quality beers even though it comes from the land of Hoosiers.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #423 on: June 28, 2010, 03:49:46 PM »
Forgot to mention that I tried 2 of Ale Asylum's seasonals... a Trappist IPA called "Bedlam" and a Double IPA called "Satisfaction Jacksin"

Bedlam was great, Jacksin was so-so... nothing really stuck out about it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #424 on: June 28, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
I'm not a fan of New Holand's Dragons Milk but the oak aged/high gravity version that I had last night was very good IMO