[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644613 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #325 on: February 06, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »
is #9 the hefe?  If so it wasnt my favorite, but one of their darker varieties is not to bad, but the number escapes me at the moment.  I myself am currently sitting down to with a black art black. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #326 on: February 07, 2010, 10:33:43 AM »
I have had #9 a ton. Great beer. One of the few beers made with fruit I really like. The apricot taste is weird at first til you find out what it is. In fact, #9 is one of my session beers as you put down a ton.

I was out at a fundraiser at Lakefront last night and I forgot how good their Big Easy is. It is nice to have a Maibock out of season and the beer was just fantastic.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #327 on: February 07, 2010, 02:58:32 PM »
are any of you guys on beeradvocate.com? its a really cool site
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #328 on: February 14, 2010, 03:19:05 AM »
I went to three cellars for the first time. It is an awesome place. All craft beer, and laid out by section, domestic, imported, and wisconsin for the mix-your-own sixer. Along with many other beers and wines.

Also they had 4 or 5 beers on tap including, amazingly, St. Bernerdus Abt. 12, which was absolutely incredible on tap. By far the best beer ive ever had on tap, and top two ever for me along with Rochefort 8.
BEARS STILL SUCK

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Chili

• All American
« Reply #329 on: February 14, 2010, 10:18:55 AM »
I went to three cellars for the first time. It is an awesome place. All craft beer, and laid out by section, domestic, imported, and wisconsin for the mix-your-own sixer. Along with many other beers and wines.

Also they had 4 or 5 beers on tap including, amazingly, St. Bernerdus Abt. 12, which was absolutely incredible on tap. By far the best beer ive ever had on tap, and top two ever for me along with Rochefort 8.

That is a very nice liquor store. The have a great selection. By far the best on the south side. I always find Discount to be a crap shoot of beer age.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #330 on: February 15, 2010, 08:20:41 AM »
Tried a sampler of all the "Shipwrecked" beers that they brew in house in Door County.

Simply terrible.  Their water must be loaded with iron, because every beer and the water tasted like it.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #331 on: February 15, 2010, 09:16:46 AM »
Tried a sampler of all the "Shipwrecked" beers that they brew in house in Door County.

Simply terrible.  Their water must be loaded with iron, because every beer and the water tasted like it.

I concur.  and yes, the ground water in Door County has very high iron content.  Most homes have an iron filter system, or put up with the sulphur smell.
Ludum habemus.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #332 on: February 16, 2010, 12:02:08 PM »
Who's gonna stone up, and try to get some of this.

41%  :o  :o  :o  :o

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/16/worlds-strongest-beer-sco_n_463975.html

McMARQthy

• Walk-On
« Reply #333 on: February 16, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
Who's gonna stone up, and try to get some of this.

41%  :o  :o  :o  :o

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/16/worlds-strongest-beer-sco_n_463975.html

I have to stay away from high ABV beers, I'm used to drinking keystone light and such so when I drink higher ABV beers I initially take it slow and steady but once I'm drunk natural habit kicks in and the next thing I know I'm waking up at 4 AM on my couch not remembering past leaving for the USF game.  With all my cash gone and a huge bar tab to boot.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #334 on: February 16, 2010, 03:50:37 PM »
 Just had a lunchbox at Moes for the first time.

Not a beer, but very, very tasty.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #335 on: March 02, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »
[bump]

Went to the Nice Ash in waukesha. had some good CAO cigars and paired them with 3 Floyds Alpha King and Robert the Bruce on various nights. both great beers. Alpha king is a good pale ale. Robert the Bruce is a scotch ale and drinks like a meal. Pairs well with a mid to dark wrapped cigar.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #336 on: March 02, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »
[bump]

Went to the Nice Ash in waukesha. had some good CAO cigars and paired them with 3 Floyds Alpha King and Robert the Bruce on various nights. both great beers. Alpha king is a good pale ale. Robert the Bruce is a scotch ale and drinks like a meal. Pairs well with a mid to dark wrapped cigar.

I have never met a Scotch Ale that I liked.  I find them all to be, well... terrible.

Probably the only style of beer I intentionally avoid... well aside from berry/cherry/honey style beers.  They are far worse.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #337 on: March 02, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »
I have never met a Scotch Ale that I liked.  I find them all to be, well... terrible.

Probably the only style of beer I intentionally avoid... well aside from berry/cherry/honey style beers.  They are far worse.

I am the same way EXCEPT for Robert the Bruce. I find almost all wood aged beers to be vile and it destroys perfectly good beer. Robert the Bruce is a little sweet but damn good.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #338 on: March 02, 2010, 03:58:46 PM »
I am the same way EXCEPT for Robert the Bruce. I find almost all wood aged beers to be vile and it destroys perfectly good beer. Robert the Bruce is a little sweet but damn good.

with me, im not sure it is the barrel that ruins it for me... I love Rocky's Revenge by Tyranena... and that is in Bourbon bottles.

granted I can only have about 2 or 3 before its too sweet... but I do like those.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #339 on: March 02, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
I'm the same way with Scotch Ales... I think they're just too malty for me. I had Robert the Bruce and it was tolerable, but it's just not my style of beer.

Had the O'So Lupulin Maximus over the weekend... holy hell. Fantastic stuff. Also had my first Blonde Doppelbock from Capital. That beer is phenomenal. Best one they make, IMO.

Ranger IPA from New Belgium was a surprise to me. I didn't think they'd make a hop bomb, but it was incredibly hoppy from start to finish. Not a Hopslam, but it had some balls.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #340 on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:12 PM »
Ranger IPA from New Belgium was a surprise to me. I didn't think they'd make a hop bomb, but it was incredibly hoppy from start to finish. Not a Hopslam, but it had some balls.

To me it is a muted Two Hearted - which isn't a bad thing. Had the same hop characteristics but wasn't quite as biting. I liked it. I believe you can get it in cans too.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #341 on: March 02, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »

Agree. I didn't like Water street's Scotch Ale which I think they just debuted this season, but that Robert the Bruce and a CAO American just mixed perfectly

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #342 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:38 AM »
I made a beer trade with a friend in Spokane and have recently enjoyed:

Beer Valley's Leafer Madness
Green Flash's West Coast IPA
Green Flash's Hop Head Red Ale
Midnight Sun's Meltdown Double IPA

still to open:
Midnight Sun Obliteration VI
Green Flash Barleywine
Moylan's Moylander Double IPA
Pliny the Elder (need to compare to a batch I brewed of this)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:34:40 AM by Homebrew101 »

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #343 on: March 10, 2010, 08:53:13 PM »
I am so jealous right now
BEARS STILL SUCK

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #344 on: March 11, 2010, 09:43:28 AM »
Had Lakefront's Fixed Gear on tap at Wolski's this past weekend. Not too shabby. Decent malty backbone you'd expect in a Red, but had more hops/flowery notes to it. I'll have to give this one it's proper attention one night.

Also tried Magic Hat Vinyl, their Spring lager. Not a high ABV beer, but it had a pretty deep toasty flavor to it, and finished with some light fruity notes. For a "spring" beer I expected something a little bit lighter, but this one had a really nice depth to it.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #345 on: March 11, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »
I've heard rumors that New Glarus is releasing an IPA or Pale Ale soon. I'm not a huge fan of them in princple, but I also think spotted cow is a bit overrated. Tasty? yes and I'm happy to drink it but I don't draw wood over it. I was never a fan of fat squirrel or dancing man either. but I digress. I'm a HUGE IPA fan so I'm going to try it. tough to top Lakefront's IPA, or Alpha King

on a different note: I always get tricked into a fat tire. It's a good beer but i feel like I'm drinking pollen and have to run it through a filter. I am also afraid I will have an allergy attack from it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #346 on: March 11, 2010, 10:59:01 AM »
Had Lakefront's Fixed Gear on tap at Wolski's this past weekend. Not too shabby. Decent malty backbone you'd expect in a Red, but had more hops/flowery notes to it. I'll have to give this one it's proper attention one night.

Also tried Magic Hat Vinyl, their Spring lager. Not a high ABV beer, but it had a pretty deep toasty flavor to it, and finished with some light fruity notes. For a "spring" beer I expected something a little bit lighter, but this one had a really nice depth to it.

If you can find it, get Lakefront's BURNING BRIDGE.

delicious and potent.  I 'like' a lot of Lakefront's beer, but this was one I LOVED.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #347 on: March 11, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »
I've heard rumors that New Glarus is releasing an IPA or Pale Ale soon.

Moon Man

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/Headlines.cfm?NewsID=155

Paws for Reflection with New Glarus Brewing Company's 'Moon Man' No Coast Pale Ale.

New Glarus, WI
March 9th, 2010:

Daniel Carey (Diploma Master Brewer, New Glarus Brewing Company) is adept at expanding what we know (or think we know) about beer. He continues to challenge flavor possibilities unveiling "Moon Man" No-Coast Pale Ale. Dan is a huge fan of 'big' IPA's and their powerful intense aromatics. It is thought that the popularity of the poignant aromas in big IPA's are a reaction to the all too prevalent bland beers. However, these same large flavors and aromas make this particular style too intense for many. Some months ago, in well known Daniel Carey fashion, he set out to brew an idea in his head, hoping to pack all the wonderful and powerful aromatics and flavors that he loves in big IPA's into a sessionable brew that all can enjoy. New Glarus Brewing Company takes one small step, and helps all their friends take one giant leap toward bridging the gap between these two extremes. As Daniel Carey says, "If big IPA's were a reaction to bland beer, Moon Man is a reaction to extremism."

True to style, Daniel took his time ensuring this ground breaking brew is exactly what it should be. He personally oversaw the hop harvest in the fields of Washington. He spent over 6 months painstakingly perfecting the hop blend alone. Finally utilizing 5 varieties of hops, of which three are not commonly used in American style ales. "Moon Man" is dry hopped 2 and a 1/2 times as much as is commonly practiced in dry hopped beer (2.25 pounds per barrel). It is powerfully aromatic, and pale golden in color. Like most of New Glarus Brewing Company's brews, it is bottle fermented the old fashioned way, meaning there is no artificial carbonation. Don't let this one lay around, it is brewed to be enjoyed today. Bold and engaging without pretense, because in Wisconsin you do not have to be extreme to be real. Just be.

This beer is named after a seriously cool cat, who found his 'forever' home with Jared, a brewer at New Glarus Brewing Company. Moon Man-the-Cat is so easygoing and confident that even 'dog' people love him and this love is genuinely reciprocated. While the lineage of Moon Man-the-Cat is unknown due to his 'alley' origins, Moon Man-the-Cat is a friend to all. He takes no heed of the background of his new companions (or even whether they walk on two, or four feet). Jared oftentimes revels the brewery with tales of cat adventures. Moon Man-the-Cat is especially well known for being comfortable in his own skin, taking things as they come, and above all else, not trying too hard to impress. Perhaps this relaxed nature is what makes such a great impression on all those that he meets. It is in appreciation of the special bond that these two share, and in honor of all those that share an easygoing affection with their four legged friends, that New Glarus Brewing Company's "Moon Man" No Coast IPA found its name. Thankfully, "Moon Man" No Coast Pale Ale shares it's namesake's roaming nature, and may be found throughout Wisconsin for the remainder of this year.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #348 on: March 12, 2010, 03:57:10 PM »
I thought about not sharing this as my chances of scoring some increases the less people know but wth, for the beer lovers at muscoop why not.

March 13 is the release date of Founders KBS this year. I have a friend that lives near Founders and is picking up 2 cases tomorrow. It won't hit the shelves here until Monday or later but get it quick cuz it won't last long if last year is any example.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #349 on: March 12, 2010, 04:11:56 PM »
I thought about not sharing this as my chances of scoring some increases the less people know but wth, for the beer lovers at muscoop why not.

March 13 is the release date of Founders KBS this year. I have a friend that lives near Founders and is picking up 2 cases tomorrow. It won't hit the shelves here until Monday or later but get it quick cuz it won't last long if last year is any example.

Thanks for the heads up.  Placing my order now with my connection.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback