[Today at 02:42:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:23:08 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 647673 times)

Josey Wales

• Starter
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #275 on: December 16, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »
Tentative NG Unplugged schedule for 2010

So the word from Dan the Man is that they have their Unplugged beers pretty well decided for 2010. Their distro meeting is tomorrow I believe, so they have to have it somewhat decided by then. A lot of this is based off the voting from a few months ago, so they are bringing back a few old favorites. The unofficial list is:

Enigma
Apple Ale
Cherry Stout
Abt (think Westy/Bernardus 12)

Also, they are "thinking" of replacing Hop Hearty w/ a "paler, West Coast type aromatic" ale. There was some dissent to this idea in the tour group I was in, so if you are in favor of this change, please please please flood their mailboxes with your support!

The Good likes the sound of this very much! Especially the Apple Ale (delicious) and the Abt (very excited to try)

One big disappointment is the word that they are discontinuing the Yokel, one of their best imo.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #276 on: December 16, 2009, 08:11:07 PM »
I had the Great Lake Christmas Beer on tap this past weekend. Damn good choice for a holiday beer if you can find it. Spicy, malty with some hop balance.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #277 on: December 16, 2009, 08:17:01 PM »
I had the Great Lake Christmas Beer on tap this past weekend. Damn good choice for a holiday beer if you can find it. Spicy, malty with some hop balance.

they have it at campus foods.

they are actually growing quite a nice stock of craft beer at campus foods due to the request of a couple students
BEARS STILL SUCK

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Chili

• All American
« Reply #278 on: December 16, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »
they have it at campus foods.

they are actually growing quite a nice stock of craft beer at campus foods due to the request of a couple students

do they still turn their coolers off at night like they used to?

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #279 on: December 16, 2009, 08:38:11 PM »
do they still turn their coolers off at night like they used to?

no idea, i usually go in wednesday when they are getting their new shipments and grab whatever they just got in
BEARS STILL SUCK

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #280 on: December 18, 2009, 10:08:57 AM »
I managed to score a 24oz. bottle of Life & Limb at Discount last night, only one on the shelf. This is a 10.5%ABV collaboration between Dogfish Head and Sierra NV and is in extremely limited supply. A touch of maple syrup but not at all sweet. An Excellent beer if you can find it but it was pricy at $13 for the bottle.

also picked up 2 more 4-packs of the O'so Lupulin Maximus, I love this beer and plan to hoard as much as I can get.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #281 on: December 18, 2009, 04:17:53 PM »
Recently had Oscar's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout out of Black River Falls, WI and Shipwrecked Peninsula Porter out of Door County. The stout was excellent, and the porter was solid, if a little sweet.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #282 on: December 19, 2009, 05:19:38 PM »
Had the Sierra Neveda Celebration, great beer!  Not spicy like other seasonals.  Also, right now enjoying a bomber of Weyerbacher Insanity.  Coming in 11.5%, but the smoothest thing I have ever had over 10%.  Dark red, pours really nice.  Highly reccomend it.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #283 on: December 19, 2009, 06:11:07 PM »
I have a half barrel of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale tapped on my beermeister in the garage....has been very tasty for about a 10 days now.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #284 on: December 19, 2009, 07:23:07 PM »
Had the Sierra Neveda Celebration, great beer!  Not spicy like other seasonals.  Also, right now enjoying a bomber of Weyerbacher Insanity.  Coming in 11.5%, but the smoothest thing I have ever had over 10%.  Dark red, pours really nice.  Highly reccomend it.

Damn it.  Passed up the Celebration last week in favor of some Gentlemen Jack at my company xmas party.

Where was this info a week ago.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #285 on: December 19, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »
I have a half barrel of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale tapped on my beermeister in the garage....has been very tasty for about a 10 days now.

Is celebration an IPA?
BEARS STILL SUCK

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #286 on: December 19, 2009, 08:52:37 PM »
Is celebration an IPA?

The long, cold nights of winter are a little brighter with Celebration Ale. Wonderfully robust and rich, Celebration Ale is dry-hopped for a lively, intense aroma. Brewed especially for the holidays, it is perfect for a festive gathering or for a quiet evening at home.

“…best beer ever made in America.”
– Stan Sessor, San Francisco Chronicle

alcohol content 6.8% by volume                 bittering hops Chinook 
beginning gravity 16.0 Plato                       finishing hops Cascade & Centennial 
ending gravity 4.0 Plato                            dry hopping Cascade & Centennial
bitterness units 65                                   malts Two-row Pale & English Caramel
yeast Top-fermenting Ale Yeast

reinko

• All American
« Reply #287 on: December 19, 2009, 09:40:58 PM »
Is celebration an IPA?

Not quite hoppy enough to be a full IPA, but you get a little tinge of hop while drinking it.  Very very nice brew.  About to crack numero tres of the night.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #288 on: December 22, 2009, 08:41:09 AM »
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091221/twl-large-blaze-at-guinness-factory-site-3fd0ae9.html

A day of great concern.    Guinness was my first non-ale, non-lager beer.  My introduction to the stouts of the world.    A great and worthy beer, though I prefer others now.   Thankfully, it looks like production won't be affected.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #289 on: December 22, 2009, 12:24:32 PM »
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091221/twl-large-blaze-at-guinness-factory-site-3fd0ae9.html

A day of great concern.    Guinness was my first non-ale, non-lager beer.  My introduction to the stouts of the world.    A great and worthy beer, though I prefer others now.   Thankfully, it looks like production won't be affected.

Guinness is an ale as it uses ale yeast but it also a stout.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #290 on: December 22, 2009, 01:46:59 PM »
Fair point.   To be more accurate, it was my first Stout.   Should have said that in the first place. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #291 on: December 22, 2009, 01:49:56 PM »
Fair point.   To be more accurate, it was my first Stout.   Should have said that in the first place. 

True dat. Because one may not have beer if they didn't have an ale or a lager - only wort.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #292 on: December 23, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »
Tried the O-so Lupulin Maximus (with the hop in the bottle). They are located in my old neck of the woods so I made the trip to Discount specifically for that beer.    It was okay - no match for TF's Alpha King / Dreadnaught or Bell's Two-Hearted Ale.   The difference is that the Lupulin tasked like hops rather than being a "hoppy ale" with the bitterness/crispness of a heavily hopped ale.

Not bad but much better out there.    

Also - had a Dogfish Head 90 that was a remnant in the beer fridge - damn, that's good beer ...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:54:30 PM by madtownwarrior »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #293 on: December 23, 2009, 10:51:47 PM »
revisited the O-so Lupulin - still an average hoppy ale but the hop in the bottle thing annoys me.   Does not add to the flavor, if you drink out of the bottle you get a wet leafy thing hitting your mouth, if you try to pour it in a pint glass, the hop blocks your pour....

annoying beer....

Chili

• All American
« Reply #294 on: December 23, 2009, 10:59:43 PM »
I am not a big stout fan, much more of a hop head, but had Bell's Special Double Cream stout. This is a very drinkable stout. Not to bitter - just really damn good. Great winter beer.

Also had 2 bombers of Three Floyds Broo Doo - the beer is just awesome. It's a wet hopped harvest ale. Awesome! Great hop flavors, slightly bitter, but hoppy as hell.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #295 on: December 24, 2009, 12:22:38 AM »
Had New Glarus Imperial Saison and Black Wheat tonight.

The Imperial Saison was very good, very apricoty and peachy, and hides the 10% abv very well. My only complaint was I thought it was much too carbonated. I was burping the entire time. Will hopefully improve with some age. I would recommend it if you want to try the style, as it is very unique, but i probably wouldn't go looking for it again.

The black wheat was amazing.  It starts off with the sweet dunkel taste, and finishes with a nutty, fat squirrel-like taste. So delicious. This is not a wheat beer, very dark and nutty, but not dark as in a porter, dark like a dunkel. I strongly recommend this great brew, especially since I believe New Glarus is not making it next year. Try it while you can.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #296 on: December 24, 2009, 07:53:01 PM »
If this brew has been mentioned before, I apologize, but after this progression:  1. Tripel Karmeliet;  2.  Chimay Ale; I just had a "Brother David's Double Abbey Style Ale" from Anderson Valley Brewing Company, of (sic) Boonville, California.  Unless the ghost of Christmas present has totally messed me up, this is one fine brew.  Very malty.  Best of the three.                                                                              
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 08:00:22 PM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #297 on: December 24, 2009, 07:57:13 PM »
Just took down a few Sierra Neveda Extra IPA.  Solid beer.  Doesn't blow your socks off, but a nice beer.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #298 on: December 24, 2009, 08:00:52 PM »
Just took down a few Sierra Neveda Extra IPA.  Solid beer.  Doesn't blow your socks off, but a nice beer.

Torpedo?
Ludum habemus.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #299 on: December 24, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »
Yup!  I'm on my 4th :)