[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 647819 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #225 on: October 13, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »
I'm out in San Diego for work.  Little known fact... San Diego is one of the great American spots for beer.  Despite being a big believer in drinking local, SD has the goods when it comes to good beer.

Last night - had a Stone Ruination IPA.  waaaaayyyyy hoppy.  Probably the most hoppy beer I've had.  Ever.  It took some serious getting used to, and might have been too much for me.

Tonight - went to Pizza Port (winner of the 2009 Great American Beer Festival Large BrewPub of the year).  Had a wet hop IPA and their Swami's IPA.  Their wet hop was /okay/, but the Swami's IPA was delicious.  The pizza wasn't bad either.  Also picked up some Red Barn Ale from The Lost Abbey, which is also by Port Brewing Company.  It's a summer-Ale with spices.

Despite recommendations from friends, there was no Pliny the Elder to be had, though.  it was all sold out at the local pubs and there was none at BevMo.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2009, 10:26:33 PM »
I'm out in San Diego for work.  Little known fact... San Diego is one of the great American spots for beer.  Despite being a big believer in drinking local, SD has the goods when it comes to good beer.

It's not the little of a fact, Men's Journal just voted San Diego America's Best Beer Town.  :P http://www.mensjournal.com/top-five-beer-towns

Though I still think Portland is the tops, it does have some good places.

Was the Ruination hoppier than say Hopslam by Bell's?
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2009, 10:45:36 PM »
It's not the little of a fact, Men's Journal just voted San Diego America's Best Beer Town.  :P http://www.mensjournal.com/top-five-beer-towns

Though I still think Portland is the tops, it does have some good places.

Was the Ruination hoppier than say Hopslam by Bell's?

I've had the Ruination, I don't think it's hoppier than Hopslam. Damn good IPA though.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2009, 11:03:12 PM »
okay.... well known fact.  San Diego has good beer and lots of it.  Stone is fairly well available even back in the Midwest.  I guess that my only two gripes are:
*It's better to drink local
*They didn't have squat for seasonals, considering the temperature is always 72 degrees.  Where's the pumpkin beer, the harvest beer, the oktoberfest?

I've not had the Hopslam yet so no comparison.

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2009, 11:24:19 PM »
There are really people in this thread that haven't had Ruination and/or Arrogant Bastard?  Those are a couple staples for me from Stone.  I guess I'm lucky their bombers are sold all over the place here.  Mighty fine brews if you like things over the top.

Funny you mention Pliny the Elder.  My town just had a new brew-pub open.  It's actually owned by Oskar Blues, but they have 43 taps, including about 30+ guest taps.  Pliny the Elder was one of them, and it was an amazingly smooth drinking double IPA, despite some worthy hops, and high alcohol content.

Of course, I should note that I drank a Gordon double IPA first (8.7% ABV, 85 IBU), so following it with the 'Elder (8% ABV, 100 IBU) wasn't exactly a shock to my taste buds.   Both are excellent brews, IMO.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »
I LOVE Ruination... I don't love that it is $15 for a 6 pack though.

it is easily the hoppiest beer I have had... but I haven't had the Hopslam either... its hoppier than the 120 infused hop beer from Dogfish head?... I'm probably thinking of the wrong brewery here though.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2009, 12:23:32 PM »
I LOVE Ruination... I don't love that it is $15 for a 6 pack though.

On tap it's even better :)  Had it the Breckenridge brew fest a couple years ago.  11,000ft + all you can drink Ruination = near Ruination :)   Luckily I survived to drink another day.

The brewpub/tap house I mentioned in the above post had Arrogant Bastard on tap, but I can't remember if ruination was there.  Nonetheless, I'll be spending a lot more time there in the near future to figure out all their taps.  Life is such a chore...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2009, 01:14:23 PM »
total ruination = 3 Liters of Augustaner at Oktoberfest last week.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »
Enjoying Leinie's Oktoberfest beer these days.  It's great for the fall season - not too heavy, not too light.  I'm a Honey Weiss guy in the summer.

Speaking of Oktoberfest, I remember being in Munich back in 1983 and loving - OK, overimbibing on - Paulaner.  Still amazed at how those tiny waitresses could carry so many steins!

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »
Enjoying Leinie's Oktoberfest beer these days.  It's great for the fall season - not too heavy, not too light.  I'm a Honey Weiss guy in the summer.

Speaking of Oktoberfest, I remember being in Munich back in 1983 and loving - OK, overimbibing on - Paulaner.  Still amazed at how those tiny waitresses could carry so many steins!

If your an oktoberfest guy you need to check out summit's oktoberfest. its nearly 8% ABV and imo much more delicious than leinie's version.

Another great option is staghorn by new glarus.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #235 on: October 18, 2009, 08:32:57 AM »
Had Stone Ruination yesterday - very hoppy, very good  but not as "drinkable" as Two-Hearted or Alpha King...

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #236 on: October 18, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »

I so utterly disgusted by Leinies Oktoberfest now. They changed the recipe 3 yrs ago to make the base of the beer the same as Honey Weiss and it has over sweetened the beer. I was talking to Jake about it and he said that they did it to lower overhead. I was floored. This is also why Red is sweeter now than it was a few years ago.

Paulaner is my absolute favorite traditional Marzen. Whomever said Staghorn above is right on. One of the best American Oktoberfest's.
But I like to throw handfuls...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #237 on: October 18, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »
I so utterly disgusted by Leinies Oktoberfest now. They changed the recipe 3 yrs ago to make the base of the beer the same as Honey Weiss and it has over sweetened the beer. I was talking to Jake about it and he said that they did it to lower overhead. I was floored. This is also why Red is sweeter now than it was a few years ago.

OK...thanks for this.  I was wondering what was different about Red.  I thought it was just because I had been drinking a lot of Stouts lately so the Red just tasted sweeter.

BTW, last night was Sierra Nevada Stout.  Yum...

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #238 on: October 18, 2009, 11:41:33 AM »

Amazing how Leinie's went from beer I would splurge for in college (2000-04) to beer I wouldn't even consider now.  New Glarus should send Miller a Christmas card every year.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:09:29 PM by Wareagle »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #239 on: October 18, 2009, 12:00:16 PM »
Great point, Wareagle.   When I was in college, (84-88),  Leinie's and Point were exotics.   Special Ex was a splurge and a really good beer with the recipe at the time.   Lowenbrau Dark at a Miller tour was an extreme reach.   For flavor, you would go to import night at the Ardmore where some people were trying this crazy thing of putting a lemon or lime in a Corona.    Ooooooooooo.  We are truly spoiled by the microbrew explosion of the last 20 years.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2009, 12:26:22 PM »
Amazing how Leinie's went from beer I would splurge for in college (2000-04) to beer I wouldn't even consider now.  New Glarus should send Miller a Christmas card every year.

So true. The only beer of theirs I'd actually buy now is Creamy Dark. Seems like the only one they haven't touched.

On a side note, I really wish they'd bring back Apple Spice. A lot of good memories drinking that stuff around the holidays.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »
believe it or not, 7 years after graduation, i just had my first lenie's original.  I must say, it may be my favorite leine.  Seems like it would be a good drink all day beer. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
« Reply #242 on: October 23, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »
flying dog's in-heat wheat is very good. finally someone was able to make a wheat beer without polluting it with too many hops

chapman

• All American
« Reply #243 on: October 25, 2009, 05:40:27 PM »
believe it or not, 7 years after graduation, i just had my first lenie's original.  I must say, it may be my favorite leine.  Seems like it would be a good drink all day beer. 

Definitely not something to drink all day...it's easily one of the worst hangover beers there is.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #244 on: October 26, 2009, 10:11:49 PM »
Tried a few new beers last week-

Ale Asylum Satisfaction Jacksin- Their Double IPA, packs a punch at 8% I believe. Pours a copper color with a strong hoppy aroma. Definitely the classic bitterness you'd expect, but they balance it out nicely with the malts. Has a bit of sweetness, but a definite bitter finish. Expensive though, $15 for a sixer. Great beer though, especially for the hopheads.

Furthermore Fallen Apple- Had this one on tap. An interesting take, a cream ale brewed with apple juice. Definitely tart, and a little sweet. Drinks more like a cider than a beer. It was decent, had nothing on the Apple Ale New Glarus put out last year though.

Tyranena Imperial Chocolate Porter- Fantastic beer. Poured a very dark brown with a tan head. Had a lot of the roasted notes you'd expect, but the chocolate balances everything. Also some subtle nutty flavor as well. Not as sweet as other chocolate beers. They really nailed it with this one.

Three Floyd's Moloko Milk Stout- When I saw this on tap I had to get it. Really delicious. Not as bitter as some stouts can be, the coffee notes are more of an undertone. Sweet, somewhat chocolatey. Very, very smooth and creamy. Dangerously drinkable. This was the first beer I've had from them that wasn't part of the pale ale family, and I'm impressed.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #245 on: October 29, 2009, 09:19:58 AM »
I totally agree with ^ on the Ale Asylum Satisfaction Jackson. My brother gave me a bottle to try over the weekend and it was very tasty. I'm not buying at $15 though.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #246 on: October 30, 2009, 10:57:13 AM »
Has anyone had 2 Below by New Belgium?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #247 on: October 30, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »
no, but I bet it is overrated :-D

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #248 on: October 30, 2009, 11:07:40 AM »
no, but I bet it is overrated :-D

Actually I was just reading ratings on Beer Advocate, and they seem mixed at best. I just asked here because the people that provide ratings on BA go into tremendous detail that means nothing to me. 

For example, is there really a big difference between serving a beer at 38.1 degrees and 37 degrees?

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #249 on: November 02, 2009, 12:39:23 PM »
Has anyone had 2 Below by New Belgium?

It's decent, nothing special.  If I'm in the mood for a winter beer, and it it's the only choice, I'd definitely drink it.  I'd probably choose it over a few others too.  However, not the cream of the crop.

So yeah, probably overrated  ;D  But worth a try.

On the other hand, I had the New Belgium "Fall Wild" yesterday.  An absolutely horrid beer.  Decent base, but the spices are over the top.  Felt like I was drinking a can of Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix, mixed with some decent Belgium beer.  If you ever run across it, try a sample before you buy.  I didn't and wish I would have.

While I'm at it, I did try the Stone Smoked Porter (on tap) last week too.  I didn't get the "sweat sock" taste after a sample, so got a whole pint.  I thought it was a decent brew, however it is very smoky.  I couldn't drink more than one, but went with BBQ pizza fairly well :)  Won't be added to my all time favorite list, but I'd say it has it's place in the beer world.