[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644746 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2000 on: June 23, 2022, 01:11:07 PM »
I still remember buying St. Sixtus at the Market Basket in Butler for $1/bottle out of the clearance cart.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2001 on: June 23, 2022, 09:54:36 PM »
I still remember buying St. Sixtus at the Market Basket in Butler for $1/bottle out of the clearance cart.

This is just flat out remarkable. What a world.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2002 on: July 18, 2022, 08:11:40 PM »
I'm having a Val-Dieu on tap.

Excellent, excellent, beer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2004 on: July 25, 2022, 03:26:49 PM »
Had my first Delirium Nocturnum over the weekend. That was one smooth, delicious Belgian strong ale.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2005 on: July 25, 2022, 06:45:18 PM »
Had my first Delirium Nocturnum over the weekend. That was one smooth, delicious Belgian strong ale.

Is the Nocturnum 8.5% like Tremens? 

I've come to the conclusion that St.Bernadus 12 and La Trappe are the best quads and Val Dieu is the best power Blonde.  I have yet to try Westmalle.  Rochefort 10 is a wee bit too sweet for me.  Orval is really growing on me.  I'm grateful to have this beer in my rotation.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2006 on: July 25, 2022, 06:53:49 PM »
Is the Nocturnum 8.5% like Tremens? 

I've come to the conclusion that St.Bernadus 12 and La Trappe are the best quads and Val Dieu is the best power Blonde.  I have yet to try Westmalle.  Rochefort 10 is a wee bit too sweet for me.  Orval is really growing on me.  I'm grateful to have this beer in my rotation.

Yep, a sneaky 8.5%. Nocturnum does have a little sweetness to it, but I'd urge you to try one.

I'm a big fan of Westmalle's dubble and tripel. Definitely give them a try.

We have a brewery here in Charlotte, Sugar Creek, that has the best Belgian-style dubbel in town IMHO. They also have one of my go-to refreshing beers, a blood orange IPA they call The Big O.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2007 on: July 25, 2022, 07:09:37 PM »
Yep, a sneaky 8.5%. Nocturnum does have a little sweetness to it, but I'd urge you to try one.

I'm a big fan of Westmalle's dubble and tripel. Definitely give them a try.

We have a brewery here in Charlotte, Sugar Creek, that has the best Belgian-style dubbel in town IMHO. They also have one of my go-to refreshing beers, a blood orange IPA they call The Big O.

I rarely like IPA's.  My overall take is we're better off with 2 Belgians than pretty much any other beer plan unless you want to get wasted.  I often have Guinness and a solid Euro Pilsner or Lager in my fridge.  As far as microbrews?  Call me crazy but they seem pointless to me if you've had the Belgian arsenal.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2008 on: July 25, 2022, 07:11:12 PM »

Their home base in Brussels is a fun spot... but it is ALWAYS packed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2009 on: July 25, 2022, 07:17:08 PM »
Their home base in Brussels is a fun spot... but it is ALWAYS packed.

Either in 2023 or 2024, we're planning on doing a Belgium and Germany trip that will feature more than a little beer. Thanks for that tip.

I rarely like IPA's.  My overall take is we're better off with 2 Belgians than pretty much any other beer plan unless you want to get wasted.  I often have Guinness and a solid Euro Pilsner or Lager in my fridge.  As far as microbrews?  Call me crazy but they seem pointless to me if you've had the Belgian arsenal.

I admit that I'm a sucker for hazy IPAs. I especially like Mosaic hops but I'll try any of them. What I really like is trying a variety of things. I used to dislike sours but now I really like some Berliners and Goses. I'll quaff an occasional wheat, amber or regular IPA. I like a good Lager, too. But I don't like coffee, so that eliminates a lot of stouts.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2010 on: July 25, 2022, 08:47:21 PM »
I seem to have lost all beer taste except for the best hazy IPAs...

Either in 2023 or 2024, we're planning on doing a Belgium and Germany trip that will feature more than a little beer. Thanks for that tip.

I admit that I'm a sucker for hazy IPAs. I especially like Mosaic hops but I'll try any of them. What I really like is trying a variety of things. I used to dislike sours but now I really like some Berliners and Goses. I'll quaff an occasional wheat, amber or regular IPA. I like a good Lager, too. But I don't like coffee, so that eliminates a lot of stouts.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2011 on: July 25, 2022, 08:54:57 PM »
Gouden Carolus is also a solid Tripel. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2012 on: July 26, 2022, 07:44:27 AM »
don't sleep on Kasteel or Piraat (not a quad) either

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2013 on: July 26, 2022, 08:34:28 AM »

I'll have to snag a Kasteel.  Pirrat is another prime-time Belgian brew.  The monks really knew what they were doing.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2014 on: July 26, 2022, 09:33:58 AM »
Ale Asylum to close

https://madison.com/business/ale-asylum-madisons-largest-craft-brewing-company-closes-its-doors/article_ac787248-4f5f-5918-95ee-a9e6ddd40f53.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Wisconsin_State_Journal&fbclid=IwAR1Y36i7zPzrytz8uWWxBneoL8M1SpIhmzu0xkZHHUoLvfm-4FltJngvnrs&fs=e&s=cl

Seeing this trend in my area as well. Two breweries went down in the last three months, and three overall this year. Pandemic + oversaturation.

OTOH, was in SF/San Jose for the last week and every brewery I visited (4) was packed.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2015 on: July 26, 2022, 09:42:44 AM »
Seeing this trend in my area as well. Two breweries went down in the last three months, and three overall this year. Pandemic + oversaturation.

OTOH, was in SF/San Jose for the last week and every brewery I visited (4) was packed.

The problem with Ale Asylum is that they served food, which brings down margins considerably, had too large a taphouse, and every one of their beers was really hoppy.  Which I don't mind, but others do.

I think the smaller, beer only type places are going to be just fine. Their margins are usually north of 40%, so it doesn't take huge crowds to cover costs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2016 on: July 26, 2022, 10:02:52 AM »

The problem with Ale Asylum is that they served food, which brings down margins considerably, had too large a taphouse, and every one of their beers was really hoppy.  Which I don't mind, but others do.

I think the smaller, beer only type places are going to be just fine. Their margins are usually north of 40%, so it doesn't take huge crowds to cover costs.

Maybe, but their beer was also pretty overrated. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2017 on: July 26, 2022, 10:08:26 AM »

Damn, I had one of those Kasteel Nitro Quads not all that long ago and it was terrific.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2018 on: July 26, 2022, 10:11:52 AM »

Charlotte has become a beer mecca, approaching 50 breweries here. (When we moved here in 2010, there were 2!) A couple of breweries went out of business during Covid, but several have opened in the last 2 years, and we're getting a second one in my little suburb soon.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2019 on: July 27, 2022, 04:44:11 AM »
Maybe, but their beer was also pretty overrated. 

I agree with that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2020 on: July 27, 2022, 12:14:25 PM »

Very off base.

the taphouse wasn't too big, but the brewery they built was.  I frequently stopped in AA and there was nowhere to sit near the bar.  The other option was tables, but they felt so separated from anything fun at the brewery.  Also, not every beer was hoppy.  They had a full palate of beers.  Big Slick, Unshadowed, FVCK COVID... etc.  A ton of seasonal Belgian styles... they had everything.  UNFORTUNATELY, they started chasing the fads and buying expensive hops... and the beers they made with those hops were totally garbage and unrefined.  They sat on the shelf and AA totally lost their identity.  Ambergeddon and Hopalicious were great beers, and they got away from pushing them.  It was a remarkable business failure.

The 'restaurant' at AA was also garbo, but it had a very small menu that was mostly sandwich stuff, IIRC.  It was totally unremarkable and should never have existed.

AA failed due to the rapid expensive expansion, beer consistency on the scale up, and getting away from their wheelhouse.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2021 on: July 27, 2022, 01:31:46 PM »
Very off base.

the taphouse wasn't too big, but the brewery they built was.  I frequently stopped in AA and there was nowhere to sit near the bar.  The other option was tables, but they felt so separated from anything fun at the brewery.  Also, not every beer was hoppy.  They had a full palate of beers.  Big Slick, Unshadowed, FVCK COVID... etc.  A ton of seasonal Belgian styles... they had everything.  UNFORTUNATELY, they started chasing the fads and buying expensive hops... and the beers they made with those hops were totally garbage and unrefined.  They sat on the shelf and AA totally lost their identity.  Ambergeddon and Hopalicious were great beers, and they got away from pushing them.  It was a remarkable business failure.

The 'restaurant' at AA was also garbo, but it had a very small menu that was mostly sandwich stuff, IIRC.  It was totally unremarkable and should never have existed.

AA failed due to the rapid expensive expansion, beer consistency on the scale up, and getting away from their wheelhouse.

One could almost replace AA with MKE Brewing Co. and have the same story.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2022 on: August 15, 2022, 10:08:57 PM »
Nope, nope, nope. Never wanted dessert that tasted like the ‘Lanche.

Miller High Life Makes an Ice Cream Bar That Tastes Like Dive Bars

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/news/where-to-buy-dive-bar-ice-cream-bar-miller-high-life-tipsy-scoop

In honor of the institution that is dive bars and the 100th anniversary of the ice cream bar, Miller High Life partnered with Tipsy Scoop to create the Ice Cream Dive Bar. This ice cream is, of course, infused with High Life, but also a peanut swirl to reflect the peanut shells always found on the floor of those bars, a bit of tobacco smoke flavor, as well as a caramel swirl, sprinkle of carbonated candy and a dark chocolate dip.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2023 on: August 16, 2022, 05:30:44 AM »
Nope, nope, nope. Never wanted dessert that tasted like the ‘Lanche.

Miller High Life Makes an Ice Cream Bar That Tastes Like Dive Bars

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/news/where-to-buy-dive-bar-ice-cream-bar-miller-high-life-tipsy-scoop

In honor of the institution that is dive bars and the 100th anniversary of the ice cream bar, Miller High Life partnered with Tipsy Scoop to create the Ice Cream Dive Bar. This ice cream is, of course, infused with High Life, but also a peanut swirl to reflect the peanut shells always found on the floor of those bars, a bit of tobacco smoke flavor, as well as a caramel swirl, sprinkle of carbonated candy and a dark chocolate dip.
How about a bit of vomit for the proverbial cherry on top?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2024 on: August 16, 2022, 07:49:47 AM »
How about a bit of vomit for the proverbial cherry on top?
The butt end comes with embedded glass shards
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.