collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644657 times)

panda

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2050 on: April 15, 2023, 05:43:19 PM »
Anyone see that new bud lite commercial ?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2051 on: April 25, 2023, 07:43:01 PM »
5 best German Brews?  I know there are vast differences but the three I generally buy or snag on tap are:  Schnieder-Weisse, Goffel, and the Ayinger Marzen O-Fest (when they have it).  Reissdorf does have a cool glass.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2052 on: April 26, 2023, 05:38:30 AM »
5 best German Brews?  I know there are vast differences but the three I generally buy or snag on tap are:  Schnieder-Weisse, Goffel, and the Ayinger Marzen O-Fest (when they have it).  Reissdorf does have a cool glass.

We don't see most of the German brews on the shelves here. Gaffel is one of 6 Kolsch brewers.
It depends where in Germany you are to what is brewed.  Dusseldorf - only Alt beers;  Cologne - only Kolsch beers; Munich - Helles or Dunkel beers and the fest beers are only seen for Octoberfest; Hamburg/NW Germany - you get the Beck's beer types; Berlin - Weiss beers

I usually hit the supermarket when I'm there for work and pack a few bottles in the suitcase for home.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2053 on: April 26, 2023, 07:08:59 AM »

Personally, I love Augustiner-Bräu beers.  I also like Köstritzer Schwarzbier and Franziskaner Hefe

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2054 on: April 26, 2023, 07:42:00 AM »
Optimator is hard for me to pass up

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2055 on: April 26, 2023, 11:43:38 AM »
That question, as noted in the replies will vary widely from area to area (heck town to town) in Germany.

We don't see most of the German brews on the shelves here. Gaffel is one of 6 Kolsch brewers.
It depends where in Germany you are to what is brewed.  Dusseldorf - only Alt beers;  Cologne - only Kolsch beers; Munich - Helles or Dunkel beers and the fest beers are only seen for Octoberfest; Hamburg/NW Germany - you get the Beck's beer types; Berlin - Weiss beers

I usually hit the supermarket when I'm there for work and pack a few bottles in the suitcase for home.
I wouldn't say only, but primarily. In the town near where my company is located in Germany, their local brewery has several types on tap. And when you order a sampler, each type is served in a miniature of the proper class.
I am not sure I am welcome back in Cologne. I mentioned that I do not like Kolsch beer. I left there much the way Dr. Frankenstein left town, with villagers chasing with torches and pitchforks.

Personally, I love Augustiner-Bräu beers.  I also like Köstritzer Schwarzbier and Franziskaner Hefe

Nothing better than sitting at the Augustiner-Keller biergarten in Munich in nice weather (along with several hundred of your closest friends) - or their cellar in winter.   

BTW, I like a good dunkel or a dunkelweiss, but hard to get in the US.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2056 on: April 26, 2023, 11:57:02 AM »
That question, as noted in the replies will vary widely from area to area (heck town to town) in Germany.
I wouldn't say only, but primarily. In the town near where my company is located in Germany, their local brewery has several types on tap. And when you order a sampler, each type is served in a miniature of the proper class.
I am not sure I am welcome back in Cologne. I mentioned that I do not like Kolsch beer. I left there much the way Dr. Frankenstein left town, with villagers chasing with torches and pitchforks.

Nothing better than sitting at the Augustiner-Keller biergarten in Munich in nice weather (along with several hundred of your closest friends) - or their cellar in winter.   

BTW, I like a good dunkel or a dunkelweiss, but hard to get in the US.

I love all of the above.
I was just in Augustiner Munich twice this past November.  I went back a second time for dinner.
I can't find Alt bier here.  I found one by a brewer in Burlington, VT and purchase for home when visiting the daughter. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2057 on: April 26, 2023, 12:11:05 PM »
Radenberger is an interesting Pilsner if you haven't had it. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2058 on: April 26, 2023, 12:22:47 PM »
How to tell you found a good local tavern in Germany when this is how they track your beer tab.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2059 on: April 26, 2023, 12:25:34 PM »
How to tell you found a good local tavern in Germany when this is how they track your beer tab.

That looks like a back shoulder tattoo from the thumbnail.

Germans, eh?   8-)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2060 on: April 26, 2023, 12:27:38 PM »

Germans, eh?   8-)

I thought the same.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2061 on: April 26, 2023, 01:03:05 PM »

Germans, eh?   8-)

Crap, now I can't unsee that!!!  ;D

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2062 on: April 26, 2023, 04:00:58 PM »

The coaster on the table and the waiter marks for every beer served.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2063 on: May 02, 2023, 12:25:10 PM »

Germans, eh?   8-)
That should be the tattoo the loser of the next Scoop bet has to get.

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #2064 on: May 02, 2023, 04:45:10 PM »
I will be in Munich with my bride and another couple September 18-21 and any tips on Octoberfest would be greatly appreciated.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2065 on: May 02, 2023, 08:51:27 PM »
I will be in Munich with my bride and another couple September 18-21 and any tips on Oktoberfest would be greatly appreciated.

Download the app.
If you plan on wearing Weisn gear, make it authentic.  Liederhosen T shirts nicht gut. 

Ludum habemus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2066 on: May 03, 2023, 05:58:10 AM »
I will be in Munich with my bride and another couple September 18-21 and any tips on Octoberfest would be greatly appreciated.

Get your hotels last month.

Seriously.  Don't wait. 

Plot your trip from your hotel to the grounds and memorize it.

You can sit at tables that are marked, "Reserved" unless the people they are reserved for show up.  Order more than you think you need since the servers are extremely busy.

Don't get lost from the walk to and from the bathroom and your table.

Talk to strangers.  We met people from all over the world. 

Drink Augusteiner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2067 on: May 03, 2023, 08:09:46 AM »

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #2068 on: May 03, 2023, 10:17:10 AM »
We have an AirBNB outside the city and planning on taking the train into Munich.  Do we need to make reservations in the tents?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2069 on: May 03, 2023, 10:47:44 AM »
We have an AirBNB outside the city and planning on taking the train into Munich.  Do we need to make reservations in the tents?

Get the DB Deutsche Bahn app for the trains.
There also a Munchen S-Bahn app that's DB app targeted to Munich.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2070 on: May 03, 2023, 05:34:24 PM »

Make sure you visit Oktoberfest Kotzhügel. No first time visit to Oktoberfest is complete without it! ;)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2071 on: May 03, 2023, 05:56:15 PM »
Schnitzel!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #2072 on: May 04, 2023, 02:55:07 PM »
Do they still serve the little weisswursts as street food on a plate with spicy mustard, sauerkraut and a wooden fork? They were delicious but that memory is circa 1983.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2073 on: May 04, 2023, 04:31:49 PM »
Do they still serve the little weisswursts as street food on a plate with spicy mustard, sauerkraut and a wooden fork? They were delicious but that memory is circa 1983.

Currywurst is all the rage and Domer kebabs from all the Turkish Germans.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2074 on: May 05, 2023, 03:51:12 PM »

Glad you have a place lined up!

You don't need to make reservations.

Also, the busiest weekend is the first weekend.  It'll be packed.  Be patient.

feedback