[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644743 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2009, 07:24:22 PM »
Bacon flavored beer?  Do tell. 

The beer I had was Aecht Schlenkerla Helles Lagerbier from Germany.

“Schlenkerla Helles” is brewed with fine Bavarian aroma hops from the area around the city of Nürnberg. It's lagered in century old caves underneath the historic Schlenkerla brewery and maltings. Schlenkerla Helles is boiled in the same copper kettles and bottom fermented by the same yeast as the historic Schlenkerla Smokebeer. Its subtle smokiness without using smoke malt makes “Helles Schlenkerla Lager” a unique representative of the classic lager beer style “Bavarian Helles”.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/263/29145
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2009, 07:42:19 PM »
oh yeah?

well I'm going to Oktoberfest for my honeymoon!

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »
Hey Ari, if you made out with 25 chicks in one night, but also kissed a guy, no matter you made out with the girls, because you kissed a guy, it would still make you a little gay.

:)

It'll still 25 more girls than you and no you can't count what you do with your dog and a fistful of peanut butter.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2009, 08:51:42 AM »
It'll still 25 more girls than you and no you can't count what you do with your dog and a fistful of peanut butter.

But you still would have kissed a dude. Trump card. Game over.

LON

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2009, 03:50:02 PM »

But what if it's not your dog?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »
Since this is the Beer thread...

Anyone want a belt buckle bottle opener?

Initially, I thought it was cool...then I imagined myself doing it 5-6 times at a party. Not cool.
SS Marquette

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2009, 03:00:28 PM »
If anyone can find it,I would recommend trying De Koninck.  It is a Belgian Pale ale that is very tasty.  Had to have a buddy ship it from Texas, but it was worth it.

www.dekoninck.be/ 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chili

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2009, 03:06:17 PM »
If anyone can find it,I would recommend trying De Koninck.  It is a Belgian Pale ale that is very tasty.  Had to have a buddy ship it from Texas, but it was worth it.

www.dekoninck.be/ 

Had that at Cafe Centraal a few weekends back on the sampler. It was quite tasty.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2009, 08:01:49 AM »
Was sampler night yesterday for my poker game...

New Belgium Skinny Dip - Not bad.  Have yet to have a New Belgium product I didn't enjoy.
Hebrew - Very good, similar to New Castle. (If I am remembering New Castle correctly)

Kitzstriker Schwarzbier(sp) - eh, wouldn't recommend it.  Too many over whelming flavors took away from the beer.  But then again maybe that's what Schwarzbier is known for...
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2009, 08:18:28 AM »
Was sampler night yesterday for my poker game...

New Belgium Skinny Dip - Not bad.  Have yet to have a New Belgium product I didn't enjoy.
Hebrew - Very good, similar to New Castle. (If I am remembering New Castle correctly)

Kitzstriker Schwarzbier(sp) - eh, wouldn't recommend it.  Too many over whelming flavors took away from the beer.  But then again maybe that's what Schwarzbier is known for...

Kostritzer is delicious.  blasphemy!

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2009, 08:23:56 AM »
I may have just caught a bad bottle, which is always a risk with an import.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chili

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2009, 08:59:43 AM »
I may have just caught a bad bottle, which is always a risk with an import.

why drink imports when there are so many fantastic american craft beers. that's my motto. especially bc almost all beer (outside aged cask beers) is best when fresh.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2009, 02:33:02 PM »
Went to the lakefront debut of Wheat Monkey last night at a few north ave bars.

Decent beer pale ale with a hint of fruit. based off the taste I almost thought they'd be putting an orange in it to start. not that I'm so much for fruit in beer but it seemed like it'd be proper. Overall taste was decent, granted I thought it tasted very close to Sunset. logo is cool as hell.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2009, 02:46:36 PM »
why drink imports when there are so many fantastic american craft beers. that's my motto. especially bc almost all beer (outside aged cask beers) is best when fresh.

fresh ingredients make better beer.  shipping ingredients over to the US from bavaria or where ever means they aren't as fresh.

limiting yourself to only american made beers is... restrictive, at best.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »
Just heard through the Interwebs that Three Floyds will begin (again) distributing six packs in Wisconsin (Milwaukee I know of) beginning in September. Alpha King and Gumball Head are the two they will start with. Giddy up.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2009, 08:30:55 AM »

Discount was fully stocked with Three Floyds this past weekend.

Also - had a Alpha King Dreadnaught on tap at Romans this past week - outstanding!   probably my favorite hoppy ale of all time...

Chili

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2009, 09:23:31 AM »
Discount was fully stocked with Three Floyds this past weekend.

Just bombers or six packs? And the woman who does the beer buying for discount is a really great resource. She has recommended many a great beer to me.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2009, 11:26:44 AM »
Had a few new ones recently-

Tyranena's Rocky's Revenge- A Brown ale part aged in bourbon barrels. A really nice subtle bourbon finish, pretty dry with a little bit of sweetness. Interesting take on a nut brown ale.

New Glarus Black Wheat- This one pours like a stout, and has some stoutish characteristics with roasted malt and burnt grain flavors, yet still has the banana/clove of a traditional wheat. Pretty complex beer, another good New Glarus offering.

Lakefront Wheat Monkey- Let me preface this by saying Lakefront doesn't really have a beer I seek out. Occasionally I'll be in the mood for a Riverwest or Eastside Dark, but nothing I keep in the fridge at all times.

Hazy, golden color. Very light, drinkable beer. Has the fruitiness of an Oberon, but has a bread-like finish. I have a feeling I'll be drinking a lot of it this summer. They did a great job with this one.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:48:53 PM by MUfan12 »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2009, 12:16:55 PM »
only saw the bombers, didn't look for 6 packs...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2009, 04:29:39 PM »
just found this thread on one of my favorite subjects...

anything from Founders in MI, especially Double Trouble (DIPA), Old Carmudgeon and if you ever see it-buy everyone: KBS, one of the top rated beers on beeradvocate

many of the New Glarus Unplugged beers are top notch, I have a case of the Iced Barleywine in my basement and am compiling another case of the Imperial Saison; last years Bourbon Barrel Bock was also incredible

I agree that Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is very tasty

Central Waters Paradise by the Dashboard Lights is also very good IMO ( a cherry double porter)

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »
I know this is a beer discussion but I have to bring up Summer Shandy.  I had it for the 1st time last night.  What the F*** is that supposed to be, because it sure isn't beer?  It tasted like someone poured tang in a blue moon. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2009, 02:41:58 PM »
I had a Fat Tire Amber on tap last night here in Seattle, good lord was that bad.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »
I know this is a beer discussion but I have to bring up Summer Shandy.  I had it for the 1st time last night.  What the F*** is that supposed to be, because it sure isn't beer?  It tasted like someone poured tang in a blue moon. 

It's what you buy girls that don't like beer but want to be tough and drink beer rather than mixed drinks.  Tastes like a lemon drop or something.
Marquette University, Spring '08

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2009, 11:19:03 PM »
I had a Fat Tire Amber on tap last night here in Seattle, good lord was that bad.

BLASPHEMY!!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2009, 11:37:30 PM »
Had a few recently I haven't had yet.

-Capital Brewery Wild Rice: The Summer Seasonal, the fine folks at the Brewery in Middleton raved about this one, so I picked up a 6 pack of it. Very drinkable, flavorful summer beer. Subtly sweet with a malty flavor. Mildly bitter, but well balanced. Definitely in my summer rotation.

-Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager- Good crisp summer lager, very refreshing actually. Light, malty with some spice from the hops. Had a few while grilling on the 4th.

-Founders Red Rye Ale- Whoever recommended Founders earlier is spot on. This is one of the better beers I've had, period. Pours a dark, reddish amber with a good  head that stays with the beer. Has a malty and nutty flavor, which plays with some citrus notes. Finishes with some spice and bitterness from the rye. Just a tremendously complex and balanced beer. I'm going to have to check out more of their offerings.

-New Glarus Imperial Saison- Part of their unplugged series, and a style I've never had before. Pours a hazy copper color with a strong head. The flavors are really interesting. It has a strong citrus flavor, and I get some orange, apricot, and peach. It's definitely got a tartness to it, as well as a little bit of spice. It was almost like a lambic. One I'm glad I tried, but wasn't quite my style I think.