collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644621 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2009, 08:09:14 AM »

New Belgium's other beers that are great: Mothership Wit, Blue Paddle and sunset wheat.

I thought sunset wheat was a Leinenkugel's beer?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2009, 12:17:32 PM »
sorry, Sunshine Wheat.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

reinko

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2009, 12:36:08 PM »
Anyone try any good Hef's lately?  Looking for a good sipper for my back deck this afternoon.

Thanks!

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »
Anyone try any good Hef's lately?  Looking for a good sipper for my back deck this afternoon.

Thanks!

New Belgium - Mothership Wit
Yazoo - Hefe

or the classic Belgian treat Hooegaarden.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »
Was it the Skinny Dip? I had a case, or two, of that last summer. I dont remember if it was their summer or spring seasonal. I think it was the summer. It was good not mind blowing great, but i did like it more than their winter seasonal 2 below.

I don't believe so. The name the waitress gave us was something with the word Earl in it I believe. I only had a small sample of it, but it was a decent wheat with a strong taste of something unusual that I couldn't identify. Which is probably the most useful beer description ever.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2009, 02:30:09 PM »

New Belgium - Mothership Wit
Yazoo - Hefe

or the classic Belgian treat Hooegaarden.

Hooegaarden is the best.  hands down.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2009, 02:38:47 PM »

Thanks!

New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat. A summer staple of mine.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2009, 06:55:55 PM »
IMO the best beer is from Germany-----my favorite is Spaten Lager. I drink 3 half Liters on tap twice a week at my favorite watering hole!

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »
Good call on Spaten Lager. It's a great beer. Best enjoyed with a giant pretzel and sausage platter! I tried a Spaten Optimator at a bar in Chicago over the winter. Very strong and flavorful. If you like double bocks, its worth a try.

MUfan12, good call on the Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout! I really enjoyed it. I didn't try the Founder's Breakfast, but they had it in stock, so I will at some point in the future.

Silky

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2009, 08:24:10 PM »
Bud owns them entirely. They have a similar agreement as the Leinenkugel Brewery does with Miller. The only odd one is the Blue Moon Brewing Company that was started by Coors.

Personally all three of the above are pedestrian at best for breweries. They are the entry level micro beers for people who are trying to experiment.

You have all of this wrong.  Leinny's is brewed and owned entirely by Miller and has for like 20 years.  They still brew a little bit in Chippewa Falls. A-B only distributes Goose Island and doesn't brew it, however they have a small ownership in a Craft Alliance group that is invested in Goose.  And there is no Blue Moon Company.  It's just a marketing ploy like Michelob Brewing Company or Plank Road Brewery.  Blue Moon is a Coors creation and brewed by Miller Coors.  Of the 3. Goose Island is the closest to still being a craft. 

Where can you find Magic Hat #9 in Chicago?

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:13 AM »
A nice article on Goose Island for those that are interested:

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=129571

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2009, 11:49:32 AM »

I stopped in the Tap Room at the Central Waters Brewery in Amherst, WI this weekend.    A must visit if you are a beerlover and are ever in the area (only open on Fridays and Saturdays though).    The Bourbon Barrel Stout, the Brewhouse Coffee Stout and the Mudpuppy Porter (on Nitro) were outstanding.   Also - the bartender (not sure if he is an owner) was a great host.

Check them out - you can get thier beers at Discount and other places...

http://centralwaters.com/

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2009, 02:09:33 AM »
When ya'll come to Kansas City in November 2010, be sure to try Boulevard Pale Ale, or any of the other flavors of Boulevard Brewing Co. in Kansas City, http://www.blvdbeer.com. This brewery is only 20 years old but has distinguished itself by growing like a weed and creating some great standards and seasonals.

Best beer in Missouri. Lots better than the stuff spewed out by the Belgian-owned water bottler across the state, http://budweiser.com/.

Indeed, we should have a reception at Boulevard during the 2010 CBE. I'll talk it up amongst the powers that be at the Marquette Club of KC.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2009, 10:23:41 PM »
drinking original sin hard cider from Vermont right now. Almost too light. Lighter tast than strongbow with an interesting after taste

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2009, 10:31:19 PM »
drinking original sin hard cider from Vermont right now. Almost too light. Lighter tast than strongbow with an interesting after taste

are you a male admitting to drinking hard cider and actually discussing that sweet stuff in a beer thread?

got back from comet's beer school tonight. 10 different Pilsner beers. Great time had by all. some really interesting Pilsners including one that tasted like bacon.

But I like to throw handfuls...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2009, 09:52:45 AM »
Hey Ari, try the new flavor of Zima? 

It's awesome.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2009, 10:09:22 AM »
Had the Micelob(sp) wheat last night for the first time, Shocktop I believe it is called.  Was good, not my favorite, but better than others I have tried.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2009, 01:30:41 PM »
hey now!

I was down at Sugar Maple in Bay View, tried out a bunch of different beers.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2009, 01:38:39 PM »
hey now!

I was down at Sugar Maple in Bay View, tried out a bunch of different beers.

Sorry a man card has been taken.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2009, 01:43:52 PM »
Sorry a man card has been taken.

Exactly - this is the beer thread. Not knockoff chick beer stuff.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2009, 02:23:33 PM »
My favorite is a Belgian Trappist Ale.  It's brewed by Trappist monks at Rochefort Brewery in the Abbey of Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy in Belgium.

The beer is called Trappistes Rochefort 10.  It'll run you $6 or $7 for an 11 oz bottle, but you will not be disappointed in either taste or potency (11.5% ABV).  If that's a little rich for your blood, the Rochefort 8 is pretty solid.  There's a big fall off in quality once you get to the Rochefort 6 though, stick with the 8 or 10.

Other recommended brews:
Dogfish Head - Indian Brown Ale.
Lagunitas - Brown Shugga'
Lagunitas - Sneak Release Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale

Good stuff.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »
sounds a lot like Chimay.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »
Hey Ari, if you made out with 25 chicks in one night, but also kissed a guy, no matter you made out with the girls, because you kissed a guy, it would still make you a little gay.

:)

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »
sounds a lot like Chimay.

Not a bad beer to be compared to.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2009, 07:16:57 PM »
got back from comet's beer school tonight. 10 different Pilsner beers. Great time had by all. some really interesting Pilsners including one that tasted like bacon.

Bacon flavored beer?  Do tell. 
The General has taken on a new command.

feedback