Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: does anyone know the rule?  (Read 12749 times)

ecompt

• All American
does anyone know the rule?
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:17:52 PM »
I was under the impression that a player who cannot shoot FTs due to an injury could not re-enter the game unrtil his team got possession again.

MU_Warrior44

• Starter
Re: does anyone know the rule?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:20:56 PM »
Obviously I was wrong, but I thought that time had to come off the clock before they could re-enter. Although I think that's actually NFL rule that I for some reason thought was a basketball rule.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »
I believe the announcers during the broadcast echoed the same...
that the player could not immediately come back in.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:23:32 PM »
He didn't re-enter until a change of possession anyway, as they got the ball back with Hayward's failed inbounds pass.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:23:39 PM »
I was disgusted by this and believe this was a fake job and an absolute disgrace to sportsmanlike competition.  Classless to the highest degree.  Sickening.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:24:12 PM »
It is a rule that you cannot come back unless time comes off the clock.

mubball2009

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »
seriously guys? spend some time complaining about things that actually lost us the game. if we were up 1 or 2 at the point maybe it is an issue. it was a time game and they took out a 76 percent free shooter shooter for a 68 percent. give it up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 07:27:14 PM »
Bingo.  No player is going to fake an injury there.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 07:31:34 PM »
seriously guys? spend some time complaining about things that actually lost us the game. if we were up 1 or 2 at the point maybe it is an issue. it was a time game and they took out a 76 percent free shooter shooter for a 68 percent. give it up.
I was watching the game at a sports bar without sound.  At the time I thought we were getting ripped off until I read that the sub had a lower FT shooting  percentage than the player that left the game.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 07:40:18 PM »
I was watching the game at a sports bar without sound.  At the time I thought we were getting ripped off until I read that the sub had a lower FT shooting  percentage than the player that left the game.

And choosing him was the COACH's call, right?

The AP report makes it seem like it was Tiller's call.
SS Marquette

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 07:44:18 PM »
Hey sorry, but WHO THE EFF SHOT THE EFFIN FREE THROWS?  WHO? 

Kimmie English, who was LIGHTS OUT and FEELING IT.

I RARELY see players injured where another guy comes in to shoot.  I NEVER see it when the score is tied and it's for the purpose of putting in your red-hot shooter.  And I NEVER see the 'injured guy' come back in after exactly 0 seconds have elapsed off the clock.

Yeah, there's plenty of reasons you can point to why we lost this game, but I know Missouri did this intentionally and it's an absolute disgrace.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »
The rule should be altered.  A guy shouldn't be able to go back in for 60 seconds of clock.

I mean, if you're hurt, yet 60 seconds would somehow heal you, well, you sure as hell can shoot FTs.  Hell, the refs will absolutely give a hurt player 60 seconds to be assessed, shake it off, etc.

I'm not complaining about what happened.  We still never scored a point, regardless of them hitting their FTs.

Same reason I don't blame Lazar.  Acker's last 3 attempt was terrible, and it probably would have been just as terrible had he had 1.5 more seconds.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »
The rule should be altered.  A guy shouldn't be able to go back in for 60 seconds of clock.

I mean, if you're hurt, yet 60 seconds would somehow heal you, well, you sure as hell can shoot FTs.  Hell, the refs will absolutely Acker's last 3 attempt was terrible, and it probably would have been just as terrible had he had 1.5 more seconds.

Why does this matter?  Suppose he made the shot, we lose by 1 instead of 4.  Does that make you feel better?

Wait, we would have covered.  Is that why you care?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 07:51:49 PM »
My point is that Tiller came back in the game before MU inbounded the ball. He is NOT allowed to do that. What's to stop a team from telling a bad free-throw shooter to fake an injury, then re-enter the game after the attempts? And even if English was statistically worse than Tiller, Tiller was exhaused and English was fresh. We did NOT lose the game on this call; we lost the game because we allowed nine points in the last 1:58. But you'd think NCAA Tournament officials would know the effing rules.

MU_Warrior44

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 07:52:54 PM »

I'd take my chances with the 75% shooter that just got hacked and shaken up on the play compared to the 68% shooter that had been hitting everything all night.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »
My point is that Tiller came back in the game before MU inbounded the ball. He is NOT allowed to do that. What's to stop a team from telling a bad free-throw shooter to fake an injury, then re-enter the game after the attempts? And even if English was statistically worse than Tiller, Tiller was exhaused and English was fresh. We did NOT lose the game on this call; we lost the game because we allowed nine points in the last 1:58. But you'd think NCAA Tournament officials would know the effing rules.

I agree with this.  But my point is this: Missouri exploited this rule by faking an injury and it's absolutely disgraceful.

That is what happened.  They faked an injury.  Maybe they were upset with DJ's return the day of this game and thought it was appropriate, but in my book, it's sickening.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 07:54:25 PM »
Hey sorry, but WHO THE EFF SHOT THE EFFIN FREE THROWS?  WHO? 

Kimmie English, who was LIGHTS OUT and FEELING IT.

I RARELY see players injured where another guy comes in to shoot.  I NEVER see it when the score is tied and it's for the purpose of putting in your red-hot shooter.  And I NEVER see the 'injured guy' come back in after exactly 0 seconds have elapsed off the clock.

Yeah, there's plenty of reasons you can point to why we lost this game, but I know Missouri did this intentionally and it's an absolute disgrace.

+1

That BS rule needs to be changed.  If a guy is too hurt to shoot, let the OPPOSING coach choose the shooter from someone who is already on the floor..
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mubball2009

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »
jay bee, you sir, are a joke.

I would have taken an 80 percent shooter off his ass on the bench rather than a guy who shoots well and is in the flow of the game. if anything that switch put more pressure on a worse shooter. besides. he makes 1 and its game over.

you are stretching.

he was lights out in the first half, which was about an hour before. I would have taken an 80 percent shooter off the bench, no blood flowing, off his ass.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »
BTW, I think "Kim" English scored 15 points off the bench in the first half.  His career high was 16.  He had zero points in the second half until Missouri faked an injury to get him and his hot hand on the line.  He finished with 17... 16 and 17 which #1 gave him his career high, #2 were his only points of the second half, and #3 were ill-gotten by Missouri's Tiller and their coaching staff being disgraceful, unsportsmanlike scumbags.

I'm shocked this isn't an issue to more folks.  

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 08:02:11 PM »
you're right, 2009, let's take one of the basic rules of basketball and disregard it in the final minute of a tied game. It wasn't that he faked the injury; it's that the rulebook states he is NOT allowed to play again until his team regains possession of the ball.

mubball2009

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 08:05:38 PM »
stay classy guys. not only is it usually the official fault, but now it is the rule books fault.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 08:05:56 PM »

I believe the player that is injured is allowed to come in after a stoppage.  A timeout was called after the free throws, allowing him back in.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 08:12:42 PM »
Why does this matter?  Suppose he made the shot, we lose by 1 instead of 4.  Does that make you feel better?

Wait, we would have covered.  Is that why you care?

Uh, no.  It didn't matter.  The shot was terrible, was it not?  I wrote it because .. it's not like losing was Lazar's fault.  Chances are, even if he didn't step over the line, we may still have had trouble with their press, getting it up court, and taking a decent shot with the luxury of 1.5 extra seconds.

And actually .. Missouri should have just let Acker go on that last play, just as we did on Friday .. we were up by 4, and you should just let the team shoot, stay away from them without fouling.  Imagine Acker did sink that shot, and they called a foul.  Suddenly a 4 point play ties the game, and everyone would have called for the coach's head.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »
I believe the player that is injured is allowed to come in after a stoppage.  A timeout was called after the free throws, allowing him back in.

Yes...exactly.  Buzz ran right over after *he* called TO, but the player was allowed to come back in at that point.

And no one has any evidence he faked an injury.  That was hard contact between him and McNeal.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 09:36:45 PM »
Section 2. Who Attempts

Art. 1. Personal fouls—The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal
foul shall be attempted by the offended player, unless one of the conditions
of Article 2 of this section is met.

Art. 2. Under the following conditions, the free throw(s) that were to
be attempted by the offended player shall be attempted by that player’s
substitute unless no substitute is available, in which case any teammate shall
attempt the free throw(s):

a. When the offended player must withdraw because of injury, he or she
is bleeding or has blood on his or her uniform or person;

b. (Women) lost, displaced or irritated contact; or

c. When the offended player is disqualified.

feedback