'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: "Experts Talk ..Marquette" - USAToday  (Read 3707 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
"Experts Talk ..Marquette" - USAToday
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:29:17 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2007-01-25-roundtable_x.htm?csp=34#marquette

3. Marquette has been up and down this year but does have big wins over Duke and Pittsburgh. Do the Eagles have enough to make a run at the Big East title? What do you see in their future in the Big Dance?

Steve Rivera: Now, speaking of shooting, this team is dependent upon it. In the losses, it shot poorly, in the wins it went away from the shot and drove to the basket.

Jeff Zillgitt: I like this squad a lot, though I could just be wrongly influenced by watching a handful of their recent wins.

Tim Gardner: You beat me to the punch, Steve. Like Villanova last year, this team is completely dependent on guard play, and if they shoot well, they win. If they don't, they lose. It's pretty much that simple.

Jeff Zillgitt: I don't know if they can win the Big East. That's a tough task for anyone in that league, though someone has to win it. But I like Marquette making a run in the tourney.

Steve Rivera: Remember, they've only lost four. I know that seems like a lot, but it truly isn't. Aren't we (media) being too harsh on teams with a number of losses?

Tim Gardner: Doesn't everyone this year (save UCLA) have a few losses?
Steve Rivera: Exactly.

Tim Gardner: With the Eagles, it seems if they shoot over 40% from the field, their chances of winning increase tenfold.
Steve Rivera: Wouldn't you want to face a tough schedule heading into the tournament? That's, of course, if it doesn't kill you first.

Jeff Zillgitt: Tom Crean got Marquette to a Final Four a few years ago, and he was on Michigan State's staff when the Spartans made a couple of deep runs. He can prepare a team well on short notic,e and that's huge come March.

Steve Rivera: I've met Crean a couple of times. I like what he's done. He's a good coach. It also helps to have D-Wade and Travis Diener (2003).

Tim Gardner: I don't think they'll win the league. That's for Pitt to lose (even though the Eagles already got them). But as for the Big Dance, Crean has been there and done that. All it takes is one hot streak in the tourney.

Steve Rivera: Problem is, defenses tighten in the tournament. If Marquette shoots poorly, it's history.

Tim Gardner: Exactly. Goes back to our original point ... they can't afford an off night.
Steve Rivera: And we all know in a six-game stretch, an off night is more likely to happen than not.

Jeff Zillgitt: Speaking of four-loss teams and what losses mean right now ... Michigan state has just four losses (17-4) but they face a 10-game stretch where they could go 3-7, 4-6, 5-5, 6-4, etc. The next month is key for many teams.

Tim Gardner: That would be February ... and I can't wait.

Steve Rivera: If teams haven't hit the wall yet, that's when it happens. First week of February.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: "Experts Talk ..Marquette" - USAToday
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:35:53 AM »
Tim Gardner: Exactly. Goes back to our original point ... they can't afford an off night.
Steve Rivera: And we all know in a six-game stretch, an off night is more likely to happen than not.

1) So, uh...if we win at USF then we'll have a six-game stretch without an off night?  Which means the NC is the only thing left to conquer?   ;D

2) Hey, we've got over 10,000 posts!!! :o

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 11:32:54 AM »

1) So, uh...if we win at USF then we'll have a six-game stretch without an off night?  Which means the NC is the only thing left to conquer?   ;D

2) Hey, we've got over 10,000 posts!!! :o

Rocky - I hope you just didn't jinx us for Sunday!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »
No worries, I'm anti-superstitious.  Nothing I say ever affects the outcome of sporting events :)

If it makes you feel better though, I crossed my fingers on both hands when typing that  ;D

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 05:52:53 PM »
doesn't crossing the fingers on the second hand cancel out the finger crossing on the first hand?   :-\
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:45:46 AM »
knock on wood

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:17:40 PM »
Well, apparently crossing the second finger cancels out any other superstitions happening at the time   8)

feedback