Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jeronne Maymon Mr. Basketball  (Read 6177 times)

pjk2234

• Walk-On
Jeronne Maymon Mr. Basketball
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:37:44 AM »
It was just announced that Jerrone was named WBCA Mr. Basketball. Congrats Jeronne. Article from Wishoops is below.

http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/blog/message.aspx?f=124&id=1015102

Fred Garvin

• All American
Re: Jeronne Maymon Mr. Basketball
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »
Congrats Jerrone! E Will named plater of his distric,lets keep the awards coming!

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:45:23 AM »
Bravo, Jeronne!  Now finish off that state title!
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 11:54:21 AM »
Awesome... another Mr. Basketball from Wisconsin!!  Congrats Jeronne!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 11:56:37 AM »
Awesome... another Mr. Basketball from Wisconsin!!  Congrats Jeronne!!

+1

Now bring home the state title to Memorial. 

And while you're at it, get next year's Mr. Basketball (Vander Blue) to come along with you to MU in 2010.
The General has taken on a new command.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 12:53:14 PM »
Who were the other ones who signed and played with MU?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Merritt and Novak former Mr. Basketballs?
SS Marquette

mustever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 12:55:55 PM »
Great job Jeronne......go get a state title tonight!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 12:58:06 PM »
+1

And while you're at it, get next year's Mr. Basketball (Vander Blue) to come along with you to MU in 2010.

Not too early to court Lomomba also.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »
Congrats to Jeronne!  Did anyone watch his game last night?  Was way more exciting than Wisconsin game in the first half (Which I admit is not really a compliment). Overtime win for Memorial. Jeronne hit all his throws in crunch time. Vander Blue is a player too!  Wish we could have grabbed him.  Should be a good game tonight against Racine and Wilson
"We have the blues on the run!"

mviale

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 01:03:09 PM »
Buzz - getting it done - Wisconsin Mr Basketball - Check
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »
Who were the other ones who signed and played with MU?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Merritt and Novak former Mr. Basketballs?

Nope.  Pieper and Christopherson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_%22Mr._Basketball%22_Award

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 01:11:24 PM »
Wes also

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »
And Damon Key.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 02:54:21 PM »
Awesome.  Just awesome!  Nice to have him aboard!  Grats to Jeronne!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 04:28:59 PM »
And Damon Key.

Clearly, I needed to read my own list more carefully. :P

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 10:20:12 PM »
+1

I am sure you know this, but Vander is going to Wisconsin!

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 11:44:56 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 11:45:30 PM »
Buzz - getting it done - Wisconsin Mr Basketball - Check

Helps when the biggest competition for him, Wisconsin, didn't even offer.  Check

That being said, his prospects are high. I hope like hell the dad can tone it down a pinch.  It's great to be supportive of your kids, but.....

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 11:49:48 PM »
Maymon and Madison Memorial beat Racine Horlick 56-41 in the Division 1 title game.  The game was never even close.  Maymon finished with 25 points and 12 boards.  On the other side of things, Jamil Wilson shot 4 for 12 with 9 points for Horlick and apparently already picked up his fourth foul with about a minute left in the first half.  It was good to hear that Maymon dominated!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 11:55:04 PM »
CBB, I know you want MU to prosper but I know you also want Cottingham to fail...which is greater?  Is it like if Roy Williams, Tom Crean and Bobby Knight were in a trivia contest, would you just cheer for one of the questions to be about you?

My guess is you want Buzz to take the Okla job this year after Capel goes to UVA and and have Cottingham stand up and say, "we should have listened to ChicosBailBonds, why did we hire a 2nd round coach who would leave when first round losers like McKillop, Grant and LEGENDARY STEW MORRILL were available"?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 12:05:51 AM »
CBB, I know you want MU to prosper but I know you also want Cottingham to fail...which is greater?  Is it like if Roy Williams, Tom Crean and Bobby Knight were in a trivia contest, would you just cheer for one of the questions to be about you?

My guess is you want Buzz to take the Okla job this year after Capel goes to UVA and and have Cottingham stand up and say, "we should have listened to ChicosBailBonds, why did we hire a 2nd round coach who would leave when first round losers like McKillop, Grant and LEGENDARY STEW MORRILL were available"?

Don't forget Jim Les. Chico's was all over Jim Les.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 12:17:31 AM »

Yep, I want Cottingham to fail....you nailed it.  You are a mind reader DC.

No, I don't want Buzz to take the OU job, you see I crave stability in the program.  We've had nothing but instability for the last 30 years until Crean came along.  So I want Buzz to be here for a decade or more because that means two things

1) We're still winning and playing at a high level
2) It's good for the program to have stability and not have coaches jumping ship constantly

But don't worry DC, he isn't going to OU because OU isn't going to offer him the job.  No one in the country is going to offer him a job this year because he hasn't proven he can do it on his own.  That's the reality of it.  Besides, if he left for OU DC, it wouldn't matter....right....as you said on here multiple times, MU is above the coach and pretty much anyone can step in and do the job.  Besides, if he were to leave after one year at MU and one year at N.O., wow....wouldn't that be saying something.   :o   But don't worry, it ain't happening in a million years.

Pakuni....I was all over Jim Les?  Really.  Why, because he was one of many names thrown out there, that makes me "all over Jim Les"?    Nope.  Yes he was one of many names.  I was all over Miller and Bennett at first.  When that didn't pan out (don't think we really tried that hard) then I said, keep Buzz at bay and keep trying with others because Buzz isn't going anywhere.  You can always get Buzz a week or 2 weeks later.  That's what I said. 

What I was all over was going through some qualified candidates rather than making it a 48 hour search.  That's what I was all over.  But since Buzz is the guy, I'm praying like hell he's going to continue to take us in the upward trajectory we have been on the last 7 years.  If so, then it will be a home run for all.  I didn't think the risk was worth it when MU had finally become a stable program again.  I hope it works out like everyone else does, but risky is still risky.  Buzz did a fine job this year that almost ANYONE mentioned on the list of candidates that were thrown out on this board would have done the same job.  Whether it was McKillop, Weber, Les, Morril, Barry Switzer or Quin Snyder.  We'll find out about Buzz in a few more years....risky.....but it might be a dead on right hire.  Let's hope so.

Looks like Pakuni's old man syndrome is hitting him again.  Here are the posts from last year....yeah, I was "all over" Jim Les.  LOL    http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8942.50  You'll note that what I said then is exactly what I've said the last year, I've been consistent as hell on the subject.  We'll know in a few years if this all works out, so far so good (which I've also said since the season started.....nice guy, passionate as hell, all the right intentions....let's hope it works out....I still would have been happier going after a more experienced coach because of the risk factor, but that is long gone yet you guys keep bringing it up along with putting in inaccurate aspects to it at the same time - you must hang out with mviale).   ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 12:29:06 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 12:30:11 AM »
MU's prized recruit vs. OR's prized recruit

Guess who won? ;)

SS Marquette

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 12:32:53 AM »
Does Butler or Xavier have coaching stability?

Sometimes extreme program contributions exceed the coach.  Whe one year you're 5th in the NCAAs in operating revenue and two years later you spend the most per athlete, I think that shows a certain commitment to success that you didn't see here in 2000.  Maybe that's the thing; maybe you just have to realize this isn't a mom and pop run out of the 1212...The Al, charted planes, hyperbaric chambers...life is a little different than when you were here last.

Of course it would beg the question, why did TC accomplish so much with so little and then when he had so much why did he do nothing...maybe b/c his $100,000 father-in-law wasn't doing his job...
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 12:44:16 AM »
Does Butler or Xavier have coaching stability?

Sometimes extreme program contributions exceed the coach.  Whe one year you're 5th in the NCAAs in operating revenue and two years later you spend the most per athlete, I think that shows a certain commitment to success that you didn't see here in 2000.  Maybe that's the thing; maybe you just have to realize this isn't a mom and pop run out of the 1212...The Al, charted planes, hyperbaric chambers...life is a little different than when you were here last.

Of course it would beg the question, why did TC accomplish so much with so little and then when he had so much why did he do nothing...maybe b/c his $100,000 father-in-law wasn't doing his job...

You're really setting Buzz and others to fail with those kinds of comments.  So if Buzz doesn't succeed long term, what does that say?  Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Butler....do you want us to be a midmajor?  That's like your comment the other day that we should have recruited that complete stiff down at Loyola-Chicago to play center.  Come on.

Xavier...yeah, they have stability right now.  They also have their OWN on campus arena.  They are in a city that doesn't have a NBA franchise so the public gets behind them.  They are in a conference where they are TOP DOG.  They have intangibles that we don't, quite frankly.

TC had the OLD GYM until 2004 I believe (or late 2003, can't remember).  He had CUSA until 2005.  Incidentally, we were chartering planes when I was there....we've been chartering since Kevin O'Neill.  We also were number 7 in budget for men's basketball when I was there.....#7 in the country.  So yes, things have changed in terms of practice facility and salaries, which is vital to the program, but we were spending heavily on men's hoops.  Buzz has those things that Crean didn't.  Buzz doesn't have to build a program from a non NIT team either, another HUGE benefit.  He also gets to point to his first year success with one of the most experienced teams in the country....a great launching point.  It should pay dividends for him.

At the end of the day, Buzz has an easier road then Crean did when he got here in 1999.  Just as Deane had an easier road then O'Neill.  Deane didn't get it done, but he did buy folks beers at Turners which made some students and fans perpetually in love with him (for the record, I liked the man, funny as hell, good coach, not a good recruiter, didn't see the big picture).  I'm tired of MU taking a step forward, a step back, step forward, step back.  McGuire, Raymonds, Majerus - Dukiet, O'Neill, Deane, Crean, Buzz....   

Buzz has everything at his disposal, as you just said....salary, facilities, conference, support from the administration....no reason to fail....you just said it....he has everything.  Let's hope he keeps it going, so far so good. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 12:53:34 AM by ChicosBailBonds »