Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UConn Halftime  (Read 5763 times)

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
UConn Halftime
« on: February 26, 2009, 09:35:17 PM »
I want to change gears a little from James's injury...  What was up with the halftime show at the UConn game.  I understand that it was a midweek early game, but seriously.  The 3 year old tumblers are fine for the MU / Presbyterian game or the local Kiwanis club meeting... but for #2 vs #8???  there had to be some professional entertainment out there that wasn't doing anything.  i sure hope whoever called in the favor to get their wife's sister's gymnastic squad out there was happy.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

Nukem2

• All American
Re: UConn Halftime
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:47:16 PM »
I want to change gears a little from James's injury...  What was up with the halftime show at the UConn game.  I understand that it was a midweek early game, but seriously.  The 3 year old tumblers are fine for the MU / Presbyterian game or the local Kiwanis club meeting... but for #2 vs #8???  there had to be some professional entertainment out there that wasn't doing anything.  i sure hope whoever called in the favor to get their wife's sister's gymnastic squad out there was happy.
Good grief/   >:(

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »
I have zero problem with kids gymnastics .. .. peewee basketball is my favorite, though.

Regardless .. if you paid face value, you got triple your money's worth from the 40 minutes of basketball.  Anything during half time is gravy.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:54:13 PM »
I have zero problem with kids gymnastics .. .. peewee basketball is my favorite, though.

Regardless .. if you paid face value, you got triple your money's worth from the 40 minutes of basketball.  Anything during half time is gravy.

yes, i paid face value for everyone one of my tickets for every game this year... doesn't mean that you go from the b.a. magician against st. john's to a series of hand stands for the uconn game.  i have no problem with girls gymnastics, just not for a big game half time show.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:06:29 PM »
Homer and Mac said during the radio boradcast that Justin Timberlake was originally scheduled to perform at halftime last night. He had to cancel though at the last minute. Apparently they just couldn't find an adequate replacement.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »
Homer and Mac said during the radio boradcast that Justin Timberlake was originally scheduled to perform at halftime last night. He had to cancel though at the last minute. Apparently they just couldn't find an adequate replacement.

I would argue that they did.

-SE

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 07:27:49 AM »
You're...  Lighten up.

edit: come on, folks, let's play nice.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:40:38 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 08:08:21 AM »
The 3 year olds were incredibly cute.

That one big girl was surprisingly agile... *shudder*

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 08:17:48 AM »

That one big girl was surprisingly agile... *shudder*

a body in motion stays in motion...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »
a body in motion stays in motion...

Stays in Vegas?

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 08:25:05 AM »
The problem I have is that at just about every other stoppage in action, the MU games have taken on more of an NBA feel.  The constant noise and motion, games, score board gimmicks, etc.

However, at the point where I'd most like some additional entertainment (half-time), they turn the BC into the St. Francis community center. 

Lighten up - fine - but I didn't realize that every post on this board had to have a serious tone.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »
With everything going on with this team and our season right now people are seriously taking issue with...and talking about the frickin halftime show during the UConn game?!  Not to mention criticizing the MU gameday experience?!  If you're going to a game between the #2 and #8 ranked teams in the country and are expecting to be additionally entertained by the halftime show.....well, then I'd say expectations are slightly out of order.  Unreal what people choose to complain about.

Good lord. 

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 12:28:03 PM »
With everything going on with this team and our season right now people are seriously taking issue with...and talking about the frickin halftime show during the UConn game?!  Not to mention criticizing the MU gameday experience?!  If you're going to a game between the #2 and #8 ranked teams in the country and are expecting to be additionally entertained by the halftime show.....well, then I'd say expectations are slightly out of order.  Unreal what people choose to complain about.

Good lord. 

I was unaware that as a fan I only had the ability to focus on one thing. 

Yes the game was far and away the most important aspect of the evening, the point is that the half-time show was lame.  The whole purpose of this thread is the half-time show, not a debate on the relative importance of it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 12:38:44 PM »
The half-time show was fine.  Better than musical chairs by students.  Lets face it, most folks go for a refreshment or a pit stop or just chat with friends.  The half-time show is only so long.  What does one realitically expect.  Those that travel to other venues have reported that the half-time shows in some places are truly laughable.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 12:43:16 PM »
you should be in the beer line at half time.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 12:47:47 PM »
Halftime??? We talkin' 'bout halftime? I mean seriously....halftime man?
Think about that.
We talkin' about halftime.
Half. Time.

C'mon.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 12:48:54 PM »
you should be in the beer line at half time.

AMEN!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »
I'm still waiting for dogs, in booties, catching frisbees.  

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 01:08:32 PM »
Three year old gymnasts = douche bags
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 01:14:53 PM »
I blame Crean.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 01:24:27 PM »
I was unaware that as a fan I only had the ability to focus on one thing. 

Yes the game was far and away the most important aspect of the evening, the point is that the half-time show was lame.  The whole purpose of this thread is the half-time show, not a debate on the relative importance of it.

And the purpose of my response....who cares about the halftime show?!  Seriously.  The temperature of my beer was above 40 degrees....complete BS.

If ever a thread should be moved to the Superbar.....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:28:03 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 01:33:07 PM »
And the purpose of my response....who cares about the halftime show?!  Seriously.  The temperature of my beer was above 40 degrees....complete BS.

Option B - choose a different thread to read, with a topic of greater interest to you.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 02:29:43 PM »
I'm still waiting for dogs, in booties, catching frisbees.  

Frisbee dogs = best halftime entertainment anywhere.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »

I'm sorry, if you would like to beat the dead horse about the team losing Dominic James, then please proceed to the other 82 threads about that.  i believe we are allowed to discuss other things about the game besides that.  

i wouldn't have expected more if we had been bringing out 3 year old gymnasts all year... but the shows up till Wednesday had been fantastic.  Wednesday was a let down in comparison.  

to those that say you should be in the beer line, clearly amateurs... you leave for the halftime beer before the buzzer.  i personally would rather drink my beer than waiting in a 15 minute line to get one.  bush league.  

this topic should not be moved to the superbar as it actually pertains to the Marquette gameday experience.  if we are allowing topics about crean, Miami Dade players, KU players, and duquense players to stay in this forum, this one should too.  all those topics have nothing to do with a Marquette game.  

MarquetteFan94, either your daughter was out there, or you really enjoyed staring at preteen girls in tights.  that is the only reason i could imagine that you thoroughly enjoyed this halftime.  yes, it's a cute idea, but poor timing.  big time games deserve to be big time events from start to finish.  same reason we didn't have the dunking guys, magician, or the real gymnasts during the non-conference.  they are supposed to match the game.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:37:25 PM by MU gimp ONE »

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 02:47:06 PM »

Frisbee dogs = best halftime entertainment anywhere.

+1