[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jerry Smith  (Read 8580 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Jerry Smith
« on: January 16, 2007, 09:12:40 AM »
Not knowing the entire story behind the recruitment of Jerry Smith (Milwaukee kid), it appeared that he was playing with a chip on his shoulder last night.  In numerous plays, it seemed that he wanted the win more then his teammates.

Last night was the first time I've seen him play...so maybe he plays like that all the time.  I came away from that game very impressed with Jerry Smith.  Good shot, ridiculously strong frame for a freshman, good leaping ability, tight defender, etc.

I'm sure in his recruitment, he got to play with/against with our Big 3 @ The Al.  Again, not knowing the entire story behind our pursuit of him, I found his play and his story interesting.  I believe Bilas touched on the point that he would be competing for pt with the Big 3, and how maybe Crean didn't want his Dad to be another coach with such close proximity (or something like that).

Bottomline, L'ville's backcourt is going to be pretty solid with Terrence Williams and Mr. Smith.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Jerry Smith
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 09:25:25 AM »
and don't forget Sosa and Andre McGee (the sophomore who did not play last night)

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:20:55 AM »
Jerry Smith is a very good player.  I know that Crean recruits nationally and there were specific circumstances for both Smith and Landry but man I would still prefer to keep the really good talent at home.  Here is hoping that we get a commit out of Jamil from Racine Horlick, the next very good player out of this area.  I would definitely hate to see him go to another rival.

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 11:34:48 AM »
Smith would play a lot for Marquette. Those minutes would have to come from somewhere.

Jerry's father can't be happy with the comments made about him.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 12:39:33 PM »
saw Jerry quite a bit at tosa east... he was quite a hs player, and it looks as if he's translating that to the college game as well.
am interested to see how he deals with sharing the load with such other talented recuits at UL.

miltownsports

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 06:44:40 PM »
The announcers said last nite that he didnt think hed get the minutes at marquette.  He was ranked as teh 4th best recruit for UL this year but abviously has proven himself.  I saw him in another game but he only hit 1 shot (a three).

4everwarriors

• All American
Jerry Smith Will Be A Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 06:57:10 PM »
Yes, he's that good. I'm not sure what happened in Jerry's recruitment by Crean. I do know TC had been covering him since 8th grade at Longfellow Middle School.
I also don't buy the theory that he was worried about playing time at MU.

Found it very odd that when Smith announced, he indicated that playing in the Big East was a big draw for him and he wanted to stay within driving distance so that his parents could see him play since his mother is afraid to fly. Ah, isn't MU in Milwaukee?

Also, don't think Jerry's father would have been a factor at all. That's just nonsense. BTW, had Louisville not signed him, my money would have been on Tennessee. I know Pearl had him in for a last minute visit immediately following his appointment as head coach. Steve Pearl and Smith were homies together on an AAU team.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 07:35:55 PM »
Hey guys,
Im new here, this is my second post.  Im a big MU fan and a season ticket holder.  Do you guys think there is any truth to Pitino putting something else on the table that maybe MU didnt offer(if you know what I mean)?  It does seem strange that he ended up at Louisville after the comments that he made about staying close to home.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 08:26:18 PM »
Do you guys think there is any truth to Pitino putting something else on the table that maybe MU didnt offer(if you know what I mean)?

Welcome Rocco.  I highly doubt that rumor has any truth to it.  Sounds like something UK fans would say about UL players (and vice versa) just to stir the pot.

MarkMiller

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 08:28:55 PM »
Marquette recruited and wanted Jerry Smith. He elected to go elsewhere. Sometimes that happens.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 11:01:25 PM »
Lots of stuff happens behind close doors during the recruitment of high school players. I wouldn't put anyhting past Pitino in offering a little extra to Smith like Rocco was refering too. This stuff is happening all the time. It's just the way things are in college athletics.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 01:24:50 AM »
I'd be willing to bet Smith ends up in Madison in the near future...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 01:17:34 PM »
I'd be willing to bet Smith ends up in Madison in the near future...

I doubt it, Smith's entourage wasn't exactly cozy with Bo and the gang either.  Remember Bo going personally to Tosa East to try and save the recruitment?  Didn't work.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 08:20:29 PM »
Hey guys,

I definately got to see Jerry play alot during his High School days, as I went to Marquette University High School, which was Tosa East biggest rivalry for every sport. I will say I remember his dad saying to jsonline.com that the reason marquette went out of the picture was because they had signed way to many guards! At the time they had signs or had commitments from Anthony Green, Scott Christoperson, D James, Mathews, McNeal, and mortenson....as a guard, I would defenately not be attracted to a school that had so many guards on the team cause i may not get the Playing time i deserved.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 09:11:53 PM »
"At the time they had signs or had commitments from Anthony Green, Scott Christoperson, D James, Mathews, McNeal, and mortenson....as a guard, I would defenately not be attracted to a school that had so many guards on the team cause i may not get the Playing time i deserved."

If he deserved playing time he would get it.  Its not like Crean has an objection to playing freshman.  PT is a lame excuse.  Something else went on that the Smith's arent talking about.

4everwarriors

• All American
Probably...
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 09:30:13 PM »
didn't dig Crean or the horse he rode in on.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 09:31:16 PM »
Something else went on that the Smith's arent talking about

Rocco going strong to the rim with a conspiracy theory in his 4th post!!!  You are going to fit in beautifully on this board!!!  Welcome. :D

MarkMiller

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 09:55:15 PM »
Jerry Smith Sr. and Tom Crean got along well, as did Jerry Jr. and Crean. Saw the three of them together several times at various events over the years.

It had nothing to do with "not liking Crean or the horse he rode in on."

4everwarriors is completely clueless.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 10:17:58 PM »
My thoughts...just thoughts...

-Jerry had a very close relationship with Rob Jeter when Jeter an assitant at UW, and had Jeter stayed on at UW, Jerry would probably be there.

-The rumors of him transfering to UW began at the beginning of the season when he wasnt starting. Now that he is starting, and producing, and PRESUMABLY becoming more comfortable there, the transfer situation may have changed.

-One could only assume that he didn't go to MU because of the amount of guards there, or that have already committed.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 10:27:34 PM »
Jerry Smith Sr. and Tom Crean got along well, as did Jerry Jr. and Crean. Saw the three of them together several times at various events over the years.

It had nothing to do with "not liking Crean or the horse he rode in on."

4everwarriors is completely clueless.

c'mon Mark, just because you know most of the high school coaches in the state, run a high school basketball website, and arguably see more high school basketball that anyone else in the state, and know Tom Crean and run a basketball tournament at the AL doesn't mean that you know more than 4ever.   ;)   ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Probably...
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 10:42:40 PM »
didn't dig Crean or the horse he rode in on.

Yet he dug Pitino and his HORSES he rode in on?

Doesn't compute. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
Smith obviously knew he would be competing with Mr Indiana, Wisconsin & Illinois.

smart kid
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 12:10:15 AM »
here is the article that says it all!

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=334219

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 06:26:11 AM »
Smith obviously knew he would be competing with Mr Indiana, Wisconsin & Illinois.

believe mcneal finished 2nd that year in illinois.  julian wright (kansas now) was mr. basketball...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 07:08:35 AM »

believe mcneal finished 2nd that year in illinois.  julian wright (kansas now) was mr. basketball...

And I'm pretty sure DJ finished 2nd that year in Indiana.  Luke Zellar (Notre Dame) was Mr. Basketball in Indiana.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback