Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gold Out  (Read 18365 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Gold Out
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:11 AM »
You sir, need to read the posts before typing!!   ::)

Just for clarification, I still think it won't increase gold by more than 3%.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 08:45:44 AM »
Xavier left notes on seats at a recent game advising people to wear either blue or white (by section) for an upcoming game. In theory, the stadium will be filled with alternating blue and white sections. Would be cool if they can pull that off.

Why MU can't seem to pull off a simple "gold out" is a mystery. The whole concept, like the wave, has become tiresome sort of, but I have to admit a completely gold BC would look really cool.

Pepperoni_Cannoli

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 09:56:48 AM »
We sit in the lower bowl and most of the people around us do not wear gold.  I wear gold every game.  I usually make my husband, who is not an alum (but a parent of an alum) wear gold, too.

I'm not sure what it is with the 40 & over crowd that precludes them from wearing a gold shirt.  I must have at least 30 gold shirts we got as freebies.

I see other teams with their student section in the tie-dye shirts and it looks awesome in HD.  I wish our ticket holders would step up to the plate and break out their gold shirts.

While I'm not 40 (yet) I'll attempt to give my answer to this question.  This is going to offend a lot of you, but please keep in mind I mean no disrespect.

One aspect of attending Marquette which I, (and a lot fo other students), took pride in is that we were the anti-ND, anti-UW-Madison, anti-UI-Champaign, etc.  Those schools were in beautiful locales in the middle of nowhere; we all went to school in the ghetto.  Those schools had a golden dome or fancy building; our campus was a trash-filled alley.  I love MU and this is by no means an insult.  Quite contrary, we took pride being from the 'wrong side of the tracks' if you will.

While we have school spirit, wearing the exact same thing as everyone else goes against how a lot of us feel.  ND, Duke and other schools love to do this, with everyone wearing the same shirt and all the fans doing their pansy fist-pump cheers at the exact same time.  We'd rather cheer loudly when we feel like it, on our own terms.  And we want to wear whatever we feel like.

I know it's very difficult to explain, but until the alumni who attend MU games are comprised solely of graudates from the late 90's on, I don't think this "Gold-out" thing is going to catch on.  At least not fully.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 11:44:47 AM »
A gold out will never work.  You could put three gold shirts on every chair of the Bradley Center and half the arena wouldn't put either of the three on. 

mucrew08

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 11:50:10 AM »
I like the idea of a gold-out, but also do not think that it would work at Marquette. I don't think we need one though either, I think we have great fans, and this year it seems like the non-students are getting into it more. Heck at least our students don't have to start a cheer to get the rest of the fans to stand up like they do down in South Bend.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 12:10:37 PM »
as for the BLUE out, it sounds pretty stupid since we really aren't the BLUED EAGLES.

wonder if it would work if they put "Warriors" on the shirt :)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 12:17:03 PM »
While I'm not 40 (yet) I'll attempt to give my answer to this question.  This is going to offend a lot of you, but please keep in mind I mean no disrespect.

One aspect of attending Marquette which I, (and a lot fo other students), took pride in is that we were the anti-ND, anti-UW-Madison, anti-UI-Champaign, etc.  Those schools were in beautiful locales in the middle of nowhere; we all went to school in the ghetto.  Those schools had a golden dome or fancy building; our campus was a trash-filled alley.  I love MU and this is by no means an insult.  Quite contrary, we took pride being from the 'wrong side of the tracks' if you will.

While we have school spirit, wearing the exact same thing as everyone else goes against how a lot of us feel.  ND, Duke and other schools love to do this, with everyone wearing the same shirt and all the fans doing their pansy fist-pump cheers at the exact same time.  We'd rather cheer loudly when we feel like it, on our own terms.  And we want to wear whatever we feel like.

I know it's very difficult to explain, but until the alumni who attend MU games are comprised solely of graudates from the late 90's on, I don't think this "Gold-out" thing is going to catch on.  At least not fully.

+1

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2009, 12:18:30 PM »
Not too mention I'm sure there's not too many sponsors looking to fork over the money to pay for the shirts.

Quick, someone call converse!
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2009, 12:20:28 PM »
Though .. I can look down my lower-bowl corner and see/hear 1 of every 50 people making noise, clapping, anything.  Most are just sitting quietly.

Always made me wonder .. what if .. I know cheerleaders are, duh, supposed to cheer, but people look upon them as entertainment, not .. leaders of cheers.

What if you took a couple students .. spread them around the lower bowl, 3-4 in each aisle.   And had them yelling at the crowd, leading some cheer.  Clearly, you couldn't do that for the whole game .. but it would be an interesting experience.

You know .. there's always that one guy in some section who stands up FIRST, when the crowd gets into it.  Then another guy stands up.  Then 10 more, and 20 more, and suddenly, the whole section is standing, making noise.

It all hinges on that one guy, standing up.   That's my theory.  Plant more of those "one guys" who are pointing at people, saying you, you right there sitting on your hands.  GET UP.

The UConn game is going to need maximum crowd noise.  A gold-out is cool, but max noise is far more helpful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 12:24:31 PM »
Though .. I can look down my lower-bowl corner and see/hear 1 of every 50 people making noise, clapping, anything.  Most are just sitting quietly.

Always made me wonder .. what if .. I know cheerleaders are, duh, supposed to cheer, but people look upon them as entertainment, not .. leaders of cheers.

What if you took a couple students .. spread them around the lower bowl, 3-4 in each aisle.   And had them yelling at the crowd, leading some cheer.  Clearly, you couldn't do that for the whole game .. but it would be an interesting experience.

You know .. there's always that one guy in some section who stands up FIRST, when the crowd gets into it.  Then another guy stands up.  Then 10 more, and 20 more, and suddenly, the whole section is standing, making noise.

It all hinges on that one guy, standing up.   That's my theory.  Plant more of those "one guys" who are pointing at people, saying you, you right there sitting on your hands.  GET UP.

The UConn game is going to need maximum crowd noise.  A gold-out is cool, but max noise is far more helpful.

FREEWAY!

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 12:40:18 PM »
If your going about this one guy theory, then you should just ahve the first row of every section stand up. then, like the one guy who stands, everyone behind them will have to stand (to see) and this will be a domino effect- kind of like a reverse avalanche.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »
I don't necessarily agree with resentment thing, but I think you and a couple others are on to something with the blue...

As does the rest of the world. Its not exactly easy to walk into your local Macy's or Banana Republic and pull a gold shirt off the rack. Generally speaking, many people go out for dinner before the game or whatever, and may not feel that great about wearing some crappy gold T-shirt. Push the blue instead, and it might work out better.

If you think you look odd wearing a gold shirt/sweater/hat in Milwaukee on Marquette game day, then you have serious problems with insecurity. You're probably the same kind of guy who doesn't wear a hat in Milwaukee on a 0 degree day because you don't want to mess your hair up. Sally.

As for the resentment, if you don't wear Gold because of the Golden Eagles then you are a clown and you should dress in a clown suit complete with make-up, a red nose, and a plastic flower that squirts water. Pure and simple. I don't know anyone who makes the connection between Gold and Golden Eagles. Everyone I know makes the connection to Gold as in our colors of "Blue and Gold", the "Blue and Gold Fund", etc.

As for the "Gold Out", that whole concept is getting kind of played out. I'd rather the BC be loud and intimidating than be a uniform color.
We Are Marquette

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 12:47:56 PM »

+2

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 12:50:09 PM »
As for the "Gold Out", that whole concept is getting kind of played out. I'd rather the BC be loud and intimidating than be a uniform color.

No argument there. The Georgetown game was one of the best atmosphere's I can remember sans UConn and Pitt two years ago. We definatley need a loud crowd on that Wed night but it would be even more intimidating if 19,000 people were all wearing gold and screaming/ cheering We Are ...Marquette during the game. As for actually making a gold out happen, I guess it would be too hard for Marquette but that won't stop me from wearing Gold to every home game
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2009, 12:54:49 PM »
No argument there. The Georgetown game was one of the best atmosphere's I can remember sans UConn and Pitt two years ago. We definatley need a loud crowd on that Wed night but it would be even more intimidating if 19,000 people were all wearing gold and screaming/ cheering We Are ...Marquette during the game. As for actually making a gold out happen, I guess it would be too hard for Marquette but that won't stop me from wearing Gold to every home game

Do you really think AJ Price is going to be scared of what people are wearing?

A Gold Out is all for show, that's it.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 01:45:42 PM »
I'm not sure what it is with the 40 & over crowd that precludes them from wearing a gold shirt.  I must have at least 30 gold shirts we got as freebies.

It's not the over 40 crowd specifically, it's more the people that were at MU during a certain era, specifically the 1970s and 1980s.

A lot of the much older alums(think 1950s and 1960s) have no problem with the gold and wear it all the time.  In fact I've seen an alum from 1940s yell at a dozen or so alums from the 1980s about how they were a disgrace for refusing to wear gold.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »
It's not the over 40 crowd specifically, it's more the people that were at MU during a certain era, specifically the 1970s and 1980s.

I guess I'm just really surprised that 1970s grads wouldn't wear gold after attending MU during the basketball golden era. And no pun intended, i swear.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 02:22:04 PM »

+1

Nothing gives me chills like a huge defensive play and fast break bucket followed by watching the alums rise in a wave to create a completely raucous Bradley Center.

The only times I've seen it happen consistently in my year and a half in the student section were both Georgetown games and Wisconsin this year.  Unfortunately, I was forced to watch the ND game last year from out of town, but I'd imagine it was similar.  Louisville probably would have been the same if we didn't get killed by 30.  I expect a similar atmosphere for UConn. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »

I can understand the whole rebel feeling of MU. I get it, really.  

However, to be accurate, I'm not sure that wearing a button down shirt and a fresh pair of chinos is rebellious either.

I'm not pointing you out specifically, but there are surely some alums that don't want to "sell out" to the university and wear gold, so they wear their own "casual attire", which probably isn't that casual.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 03:30:17 PM »
I can understand the whole rebel feeling of MU. I get it, really.  

However, to be accurate, I'm not sure that wearing a button down shirt and a fresh pair of chinos is rebellious either.

I'm not pointing you out specifically, but there are surely some alums that don't want to "sell out" to the university and wear gold, so they wear their own "casual attire", which probably isn't that casual.

from a stand point of a kid who was chided for choosing MU over UW 8 years ago I can tell you that most of the people that I knew did not think there was anything rebellious about attending a private school in Milwaukee.

I was promised that I would be going to school with snobs... luckily their promise didn't hold up... for the most part.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 03:44:08 PM »
from a stand point of a kid who was chided for choosing MU over UW 8 years ago I can tell you that most of the people that I knew did not think there was anything rebellious about attending a private school in Milwaukee.

I was promised that I would be going to school with snobs... luckily their promise didn't hold up... for the most part.

Marquette is, at its core, a very conservative place. I don't mean conservative necessarily in a political sense (though in many respects that is true) but in a cultural sense. Rebellion or anti-establishment or countercultural attitudes are not very prevalent at MU. Which isn't to say they don't exist, but Marquette students/alumni are far from "rebels."
We Are Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 03:59:20 PM »
Marquette is, at its core, a very conservative place. I don't mean conservative necessarily in a political sense (though in many respects that is true) but in a cultural sense. Rebellion or anti-establishment or countercultural attitudes are not very prevalent at MU. Which isn't to say they don't exist, but Marquette students/alumni are far from "rebels."

Agreed, I mean, going to MU isn't like joining a biker gang.

However, compared to it's relative peer group of DePaul, Notre Dame, SLU, Loyola, BC, etc., MU is a certainly little rougher around the edges, and I think a lot of people embrace that (see any of the "back in my day" threads).

With this said, I still don't know that refusing to wear a gold t-shirt is really a good representation of this "rough around the edges" or "we aren't like other schools" attitude.

Wear a sweater or sweatshirt to the game... wear a gold shirt underneath. Bam. Problem solved.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »
Agreed, I mean, going to MU isn't like joining a biker gang.

Careful . . . my husband and I each have our own Harley so I guess that makes us a "biker" gang.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 04:09:03 PM »
Careful . . . my husband and I each have our own Harley so I guess that makes us a "biker" gang.

I hope you aren't seriously offended.

I'm using the term to represent a group that is often seen as anti-establishment and/or rebellious.

Several members of my family own HD's.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »
Sorry, I should have used the teal font.   :D
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate