Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gold Out  (Read 18363 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Gold Out
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 04:18:41 PM »
Sorry, I should have used the teal font.   :D

Understood.

Anyways, back to being rebels and refusing to wear gold at the games.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 06:19:01 PM »
While I'm not 40 (yet) I'll attempt to give my answer to this question.  This is going to offend a lot of you, but please keep in mind I mean no disrespect.

One aspect of attending Marquette which I, (and a lot fo other students), took pride in is that we were the anti-ND, anti-UW-Madison, anti-UI-Champaign, etc.  Those schools were in beautiful locales in the middle of nowhere; we all went to school in the ghetto.  Those schools had a golden dome or fancy building; our campus was a trash-filled alley.  I love MU and this is by no means an insult.  Quite contrary, we took pride being from the 'wrong side of the tracks' if you will.

While we have school spirit, wearing the exact same thing as everyone else goes against how a lot of us feel.  ND, Duke and other schools love to do this, with everyone wearing the same shirt and all the fans doing their pansy fist-pump cheers at the exact same time.  We'd rather cheer loudly when we feel like it, on our own terms.  And we want to wear whatever we feel like.

I know it's very difficult to explain, but until the alumni who attend MU games are comprised solely of graudates from the late 90's on, I don't think this "Gold-out" thing is going to catch on.  At least not fully.

Sorry, I don't get it.  No disrespect intended, but I don't think wearing a certain color shirt really makes you a sellout, and I don't think sitting on your hands during a game makes you a rebel.  If that's how you derive your sense of identity from your time at Marquette, then no one can blame you, but I don't think that refusing to participate in special events at basketball games in order to make a point to other schools that we're not like them is really the way to set yourself apart.  It's kind of lame actually.

I do agree about deriving our identity as a university from the area we are in.  A unique aspect of the Marquette experience is being part of a geographical/socioeconomic area of town that other universities can't relate to.  We're surrounded by homelessness and poverty.  It helps to motivate Marquette's commitment to being a service-centered community that genuinely benefits Milwaukee.  I have always admired that students and administration alike see the importance of/participate in community work, and I think that this is the way that we should continue to show that we're different from the hick-snobs of ND or the bratty communists in Madison.  Our school cares enough to better the community we're in.  For example, I love the fact that every halloween Marquette lets lower income families bring their kids trick-or-treating in the res halls, or that students actively participate in Midnight/Noon Run to provide food for the homeless, or that Hunger Cleanup mobilizes a huge part of the community to work toward a hunger-free city.  I can't see that happening in South Bend or Madison.

I don't think any of them cares what we do/wear at the games.  I think the "gold-out" is a great way to show the team we support them and I see it as nothing more than harmless fun.  Who cares about the other team or other schools?  It would look cool to see it, and I hope that people actually end up wearing their gold.  I'll be in mine.

MUWeb7

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 06:40:45 PM »
I don't think any of them cares what we do/wear at the games.  I think the "gold-out" is a great way to show the team we support them and I see it as nothing more than harmless fun.  Who cares about the other team or other schools?  It would look cool to see it, and I hope that people actually end up wearing their gold.  I'll be in mine.

+1 Bingo.

How fired up do you think our team would be if they walked out into the BC and saw everyone in gold??? WOW. What a sight!

Too bad people are too stubborn to give it up for ONE GAME.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »
If there aren't any gold MU shirts, can't a Packer Gold/Yellow do?
SS Marquette

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 07:07:30 PM »
If there aren't any gold MU shirts, can't a Packer Gold/Yellow do?

I wouldn't care if it was an MU or Packers gold shirt but if your going to any MU games and especially the UCOnn game, just wear a gold shirt
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 07:10:06 PM »
Discussing the gold out on this site does not really matter. The people that are active on message boards are the extreme 1% (it may be more like 5%).  That percentage actively seeks to be more involved and make their voice heard. We are the passionate ones and the ones who do not have to be convinced to wear gold. I am willing to bet that 90+% of the posters on this board wear gold to every game. It is the non-active majority that needs to be convinced. Until marquette can figure out how to reach that majority a "gold out" will never happen.

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »
Discussing the gold out on this site does not really matter. The people that are active on message boards are the extreme 1% (it may be more like 5%).  That percentage actively seeks to be more involved and make their voice heard. We are the passionate ones and the ones who do not have to be convinced to wear gold. I am willing to bet that 90+% of the posters on this board wear gold to every game. It is the non-active majority that needs to be convinced. Until marquette can figure out how to reach that majority a "gold out" will never happen.

+1

well put. I guess it won't happen this year as the UConn game is coming up quickly but let's hope one day that MU can put this togther. The UConn game just seems like the perfect oppurtunity...
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

Pardner

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »
Let me just start out saying, the 60's and 70's were a different time.  I am from the "In Between Generation"...now called the Obama Generation, that followed these Baby Boomers...and I had to follow them all through my life.  I never associated with them, but I was always in their wake.  They were/are rebels.

Bombs on campus (yes, at Marquette...finals were even cancelled), friends drafted off to war never to return, freedom marches to support the right to vote and use the same bathroom was the goal not to ever fathom that an African American could become President, complete rejection of authority whether it was membership in Scouts, non-respect/trust of authority (police or the school administration) after Kent State.  Adoph Rupp refusing to recruit or recognize African American players.  Assassinations.  Equal rights for women.  Michael Phelps doing a bong would make him a folk hero, not a tarnished star.  And along came Al who recruited African Americans and made them shake Adolph Rupp's hand BEFORE the game....or who would thumb his nose at the NCAA because they wouldn't respect his African American players and put them in the region they deserved.  Or, who was the first to tell his low income players to skip school and take the cash from the ABA...but made sure they came back to earn their degree.  

Conform and wear gold?  White wash the name Warriors and rename MU after a color whose only name to them means materialism?  It isn't about Chinos.  They left a lot of blood on the streets.  Leave them be.    The rest of us can wear gold (but I refuse to wear a sweater vest).  We all have one thing in common:  What MU basketball represents to each of us.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »
I've been reading for a long time but never posted before.  My friends and I graduated in the mid 70's - we all wear gold sweatshirts to every game.  For the life of me, I can't figure out what wearing or not wearing gold has to do with a desire to be rebels and non-conformists.  I've never heard that before.  I had no idea that as a graduate of the 70's I am supposed to not cheer and get excited along with everyone else.  I thought it was all about what is best to show support for the team.  The Allstate Arena looked great with all of the gold the other night - the student section looked awesome against Georgetown.  Blue just doesn't cut it, IMO.  So I hereby declare that it is my intention to show my desire to rebel against all of the rebels I went to school with (and apparently never actually met) and be non-conformist with them by continuing to wear gold to any game I attend.  And just so all of you urban rebels know, I in fact grew up in the inner city of Chicago in an area that actually had riots when I was a kid.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2009, 11:36:10 PM »
New shirts on the MU Spirit Shop site, include this Gold Nike tee:

Check out the others! Looks like they restocked!

ALSO, looks like they've started to clearance out last year's Jersey # Gold Tees...for $8.95!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:43:55 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2009, 12:46:53 AM »
So I hereby declare that it is my intention to show my desire to rebel against all of the rebels I went to school with (and apparently never actually met) and be non-conformist with them by continuing to wear gold to any game I attend. 

A rebel amongst the rebels!  Well said. 

Ugh - seriously "Golden Eagle Pride"?  I don't know a single person that would wear that shirt.  Might as well wear a Red Badger shirt to the game.  Well, maybe not, you can wear the GEP shirt, just turn it inside out  :D

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »

Check out the others! Looks like they restocked!

ALSO, looks like they've started to clearance out last year's Jersey # Gold Tees...for $8.95!

Any gold shirts with warriors logos?  perhaps that would help get the non-gold wearing folk to wear gold. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2009, 01:46:39 AM »
Any gold shirts with warriors logos?  perhaps that would help get the non-gold wearing folk to wear gold. 

I've posted a link to this site quite a few times.  Nonetheless, I'm sure the guy who owns the store would LOVE to get orders from 13,000 rabid MU fans :)

http://jerkass.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/Article/Index/article/WARRIORS-3186292
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:53:41 AM by rocky_warrior »

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2009, 04:26:39 AM »
I've posted a link to this site quite a few times.  Nonetheless, I'm sure the guy who owns the store would LOVE to get orders from 13,000 rabid MU fans :)

http://jerkass.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/Article/Index/article/WARRIORS-3186292

thanks, i'm gettin' one. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2009, 08:20:57 AM »
thanks, i'm gettin' one. 

Order 2 with the coupon code FEB19 and you get 14% off.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »

Sorry, I don't get it.  No disrespect intended, but I don't think wearing a certain color shirt really makes you a sellout, and I don't think sitting on your hands during a game makes you a rebel.  If that's how you derive your sense of identity from your time at Marquette, then no one can blame you, but I don't think that refusing to participate in special events at basketball games in order to make a point to other schools that we're not like them is really the way to set yourself apart.  It's kind of lame actually.

I do agree about deriving our identity as a university from the area we are in.  A unique aspect of the Marquette experience is being part of a geographical/socioeconomic area of town that other universities can't relate to.  We're surrounded by homelessness and poverty.  It helps to motivate Marquette's commitment to being a service-centered community that genuinely benefits Milwaukee.  I have always admired that students and administration alike see the importance of/participate in community work, and I think that this is the way that we should continue to show that we're different from the hick-snobs of ND or the bratty communists in Madison.  Our school cares enough to better the community we're in.  For example, I love the fact that every halloween Marquette lets lower income families bring their kids trick-or-treating in the res halls, or that students actively participate in Midnight/Noon Run to provide food for the homeless, or that Hunger Cleanup mobilizes a huge part of the community to work toward a hunger-free city.  I can't see that happening in South Bend or Madison.

You're right, there are no community service groups at either school.

How Ignorant.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2009, 08:38:31 AM »

How Ignorant.
+1. There are thousands of students at Notre Dame and UW-Madison who devote countless hours to community service. It is ignorant to think that is not the case and arrogant to believe that Marquette is the one shining star in the world of community activism. Just because these schools' basketball teams are our rivals does not mean that the entire student body from either school doesn't provide anything positive.
We Are Marquette

JSwarriors08

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2009, 10:41:29 AM »
Just because these schools' basketball teams are our rivals does not mean that the entire student body from either school doesn't provide anything positive.

Because that's exactly what I said.  My God you guys are ridiculous.  I'm saying it happens to a greater extent at Marquette because of our location.  It's ignorant to acknowledge the fact that one of Marquette's core values is service to the surrounding community and that this is a significant part of Marquette's unique identity?  Get real.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2009, 10:46:13 AM »
Because that's exactly what I said.  My God you guys are ridiculous.  I'm saying it happens to a greater extent at Marquette because of our location.  It's ignorant to acknowledge the fact that one of Marquette's core values is service to the surrounding community and that this is a significant part of Marquette's unique identity?  Get real.

JS, you pull this crap all of the time.

Everyone can clearly see that is what you typed.

now you come back with a 'that isn't what I really meant' post, and we are supposed to swallow it?

perhaps the only person you are fooling is yourself?

JSwarriors08

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2009, 10:51:56 AM »
JS, you pull this crap all of the time.

Everyone can clearly see that is what you typed.

now you come back with a 'that isn't what I really meant' post, and we are supposed to swallow it?

perhaps the only person you are fooling is yourself?

If by all the time you mean two threads where we have had this argument, then yes, this happens all the time.

I stand by what I said.  Marquette is more involved in its community than other schools.  I believe that.  Nothing I said in that post was a retraction in any way.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »

Catholic faith and its consistent call to service is very prevalent at Notre Dame. The University of Wisconsin - Madison is well known for its progressive politics and activist nature. I am confident that ND and Madison both have similar community service programs at their respective institutions. And calling the kids at ND "hick snobs" and those at Madison "bratty communists" reflects poorly on you and, unfortunately, by extension it reflects poorly on all of us on this board.

It is what you said. Instead of trying to split hairs I think you should just apologize for being a disrespectful and ill-informed hack.
We Are Marquette

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2009, 11:21:34 AM »
I'm still looking for a statistical analysis that shows improved shooting percentages of MU players based on % of fans wearing gold shirts vs. blue shirts. 

The gold out would have been cool before every other team in every other sport did a [insert color here] out. 

I also think there are a lot of superstitious people out there who may feel a certain level of luck working with a shirt that may not be gold.  If that superstition helps them to enjoy the game more, then by all means continue. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »

One aspect of attending Marquette which I, (and a lot fo other students), took pride in is that we were the anti-ND, anti-UW-Madison, anti-UI-Champaign, etc.  Those schools were in beautiful locales in the middle of nowhere; we all went to school in the ghetto.  Those schools had a golden dome or fancy building; our campus was a trash-filled alley.  I love MU and this is by no means an insult.  Quite contrary, we took pride being from the 'wrong side of the tracks' if you will.

I think the idea that MU has a 'wrong side of the tracks' image when compared to UW-Madison is a little misguided.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2009, 12:22:01 PM »
Be at the game and yell.  Noise not color rattles the other side.  Tan Tommy himself knew this.  When I sat in the front row he yelled to the sound guy "put on Cotton Eye Joe" NOW! 
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »

I think the idea that MU has a 'wrong side of the tracks' image when compared to UW-Madison is a little misguided.

I think the idea of calling UI-Champaign a "beautiful locale" is a little misguided as well...
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

feedback