Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gold Out  (Read 18364 times)

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
Gold Out
« on: February 04, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
Could we actually successfully make UConn game a gold out. They gave out shirts at G-town but not every student put them on. It would look so cool and intimidating if EVERYONE, students and non-students wore gold for the UConn game? What are the chances of this? (obvisouly MU would have to promote or endorse this so word gets out, but now since its sold out lets make it a gold out)
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

MUWarrior06

• Starter
Re: Gold Out
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:21:42 PM »
I highly doubt MUScoop.com would be able to get this going.

You need a highly funded alum to buy the shirts and give one to every person who enters. Or you need MU to do it.

MUScoop probably wouldn't accomplish any of this unless a PR rep from the athletic department saw this and thought it to be a great idea...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:27:08 PM »
See this thread

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=11972.0

IMO, Crean tried this a few times, a couple "gold out"s and a "baby blue out".  Every time it was only marginally successful, perhaps increasing the gold by 25%.  Still left the place at 60-75% gold/baby blue.

Pretty disappointing if you ask me.  Seems to work well for other schools - why doesn't it work at Marquette?  Answer that question, and perhaps someday we'll get a true "gold out" at every home game.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 06:47:51 PM »
I don't know .. The fact that UConn may be #1 coming in to a sold out BC .. there's something really special about that game.   If MU used their marketing power, unleashed their email list, and coupled that with some personal (recorded) robocalls from someone like McNeal?

That might just have a chance. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »
My son goes to Univ of Maryland.  They had a "black-out" night sponsored by local bank and  every seat had a black tee shirt.  Nice looking shirt with Maryland "black-out" logo on front and name of bank on the back.  Maybe for one game, some sponsor can come through like this, especially for a big, nationally televised game.  

15thst939

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 06:53:31 PM »
Let's assume free gold t-shirts will not be handed out at the game.

Why let that stop a gold out?

Is it reasonable to think that 90% of the lower bowl fans own a MU gold shirt, top or vest?

Is it reasonable to think that 70% of the upper deck attendees own a MU gold shirt, top or vest?  At least a gold shirt, even if it is not MU affiliated?

For this big of a game let's get the word out to wear gold.  And if you don't have a gold shirt yet, get online or go to the MU spirit shop!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 08:01:16 PM »
It has been tired in the past. It is very hard to do. You cannot place a shirt on every seat unless it's an XL. If you want to hand out shirts, places need to be staffed like the bobblehead giveaways in the BC. Those AMU workers cost money and are hard to come by at big games. Not too mention I'm sure there's not too many sponsors looking to fork over the money to pay for the shirts.

Get over it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 08:21:46 PM »
Yeah, very doubtful 19000 gold shirts could be purchased, delivered, etc, for the game.

But one can assume almost everyone has a gold piece of clothing in their closets .. they just need the right motivation to wear it.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 08:48:45 PM »
My son goes to Univ of Maryland.  They had a "black-out" night sponsored by local bank and  every seat had a black tee shirt.  Nice looking shirt with Maryland "black-out" logo on front and name of bank on the back.  Maybe for one game, some sponsor can come through like this, especially for a big, nationally televised game.  

Wasn't Citibank was it? Our tax dollars hard at work  ;D

I agree though, it would take a business to sponsor

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 08:56:37 PM »
1) It is difficult to get 4 people to agree on something, to get 19,000+ to agree is darn near impossible.

2) If someone sponsored the shirts, it would probably cost about $250,000 - tough economy for that to happen.

That said, I will be there with my gold MU sweathirt on, as always.  And I think it would be good to encourage people to wear gold, adn the university could email their contacts, put a few posters around, put it on the website.  Why not  - that is inexpensive.

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 09:04:05 PM »
i agree that it is tough for someone to pay for this but almost everyone that support MU bball has to have some kind of gold top whether it be t-shirt, sweater, or vest. and i think it is a good idea and would look so cool if we did this agasint UCONN
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 09:07:31 PM »
We sit in the lower bowl and most of the people around us do not wear gold.  I wear gold every game.  I usually make my husband, who is not an alum (but a parent of an alum) wear gold, too.

I'm not sure what it is with the 40 & over crowd that precludes them from wearing a gold shirt.  I must have at least 30 gold shirts we got as freebies.

I see other teams with their student section in the tie-dye shirts and it looks awesome in HD.  I wish our ticket holders would step up to the plate and break out their gold shirts.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

Pardner

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 09:24:05 PM »
In our alum section, we are the only few who ever wear gold for BE games.  There is more Badger Red--why would you wear red to a MU game if you are a season ticket holder?  I just don't get it.

But, I half joked about this before, our colors are blue and gold.  If you follow the laws of supply and demand, the Spirit Shop offers and sells more blue.  Look on line--it is like a ratio of 8:1--except short sleeve t-shirts or golf wear.  Alums come from work or a semi-formal function, or church, it is the winter, you have business associates, etc... a short sleeve t-shirt doesn't make it.  Further, if you have to drop some cash, you want something stylish you can wear more often.  And, if the choices are 8:1 blue, guess what people buy? 

Also, if we are on the road where our jerseys are blue, you wear blue to support our team. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »
Pardner is right.

the spirit shop lacks quality gold wear.

warriormom

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »
I just went to buy a birthday gift for my friend (age 52) and she wanted gold.  It was very difficult to find anything long sleeved and gold under $50 especially for women.  I know I am not interested in wearing a short sleeved t shirt in the dead of winter.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 11:08:52 PM »
I'm guessing that this never works because there's some resentment among alumni regarding the "Golden" Eagles (not to mention the "Gold"), that prevents them from wearing gold on game day. That said, for pre- and post-game purposes, navy just looks better. Why not let the students stay in gold and have the rest of the arena go navy?

HelixAir6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 11:22:59 PM »
selloutuconn.com worked so well to get everyone in the place, whoever has the ability should create the webpage "goldoutuconn.com"  might help out a little bit...

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 07:13:45 AM »
Forget the sponsorship, not happening in this economy.

However, to potentially increase the % of gold shirts in the arena, how about having the Spirit Shop set up a tent in front of the BC and sell discounted shirts?  Gold XL with just Marquette on it (not too offensive, even for us crabby old Warriors) for $5?  For a reasonable price, I'm sure some percentage of non-gold wearing fans would pick one up on their way into the arena.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 07:53:17 AM »
I'm guessing that this never works because there's some resentment among alumni regarding the "Golden" Eagles (not to mention the "Gold"), that prevents them from wearing gold on game day. That said, for pre- and post-game purposes, navy just looks better. Why not let the students stay in gold and have the rest of the arena go navy?

I don't necessarily agree with resentment thing, but I think you and a couple others are on to something with the blue...

the spirit shop lacks quality gold wear.

As does the rest of the world. Its not exactly easy to walk into your local Macy's or Banana Republic and pull a gold shirt off the rack. Generally speaking, many people go out for dinner before the game or whatever, and may not feel that great about wearing some crappy gold T-shirt. Push the blue instead, and it might work out better.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:09:25 AM by NavinRJohnson »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 07:53:48 AM »
$2.34/blank gold shirt:  http://www.shirtsupplier.com/prod.cfm?productid=5

Probably cheaper places, that was just the first place I looked.

I think they should not buy 19,000 shirts .. just buy 5,000, and grab 100 students, tell them to filter through each section, finding non-gold people, give them a shirt, and wait there while they put it on.   :-*

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 07:57:10 AM »

I think they should not buy 19,000 shirts .. just buy 5,000, and grab 100 students, tell them to filter through each section, finding non-gold people, give them a shirt, and wait there while they put it on.   :-*

+1 - make 'em put it on!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 08:17:43 AM »
Forget the sponsorship, not happening in this economy.

However, to potentially increase the % of gold shirts in the arena, how about having the Spirit Shop set up a tent in front of the BC and sell discounted shirts?  Gold XL with just Marquette on it (not too offensive, even for us crabby old Warriors) for $5?  For a reasonable price, I'm sure some percentage of non-gold wearing fans would pick one up on their way into the arena.

Do you really think people walk through the Union on their way to the game?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »
Do you really think people walk through the Union on their way to the game?

Which is why he suggested they set up a tent in front of the Bradley Center.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 08:22:58 AM »

Which is why he suggested they set up a tent in front of the Bradley Center.

You sir, are correct.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 08:31:33 AM »
You sir, are correct.

You sir, need to read the posts before typing!!   ::)

feedback