[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gtown fans  (Read 13288 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Gtown fans
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 04:55:12 PM »
I saw a busload of GT fans at Mars last year and they were drunk pricks.  There were a bunch of MU fans in the store and the GT fans started taunting the MU fans.  Luckily my wife dragged me out of there before anything escalated.  Really left a bad taste in my mouth about their fans. 

The Mars is being torn down and relocated, BTW.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Ville fans
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 05:15:32 PM »
That said, Louisville wins the prize of worst fan base in the Big East.  I have seen it at C-USA tourneys.  I saw it in New York last year, I have seen it going to some games in the 'Ville (not even against Marquette).  I have seen it when they travel to Milwaukee.  I have seen it when I just meet a fan on the street or at a restaurant.  They are just a little too "passionate".  Worst yet, there is a general lack of honesty and a revisionist history of events that occur.

Of course this is not bad mouthing all Cardinal fans.  They are plenty of good ones too.  It just they appear to have the largest minority of bad fans.
Reece Gains's family always used to get the suite right behind our section for Louisville's games at the BC.  They were the most obnoxious a-hole fans I've ever ran into.  I understand that they have even more in the game than the average fan having a son/relative playing in the game, but to be as obnoxious as they were was completely over the top.

However, in New Orleans for the Final Four in 2003 we ran into a couple of groups of Louisville fans wishing us luck, saying they were rooting for us.  Most likely because they were in the same conference and would get some of the money that we got for advancing, but still they were very nice.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GO_MU02

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »
I've been to my fair share of away games in the BE and to the CUSA tourney many times and I'd say that the worst fan groups were Louisville and Georgetown.  I found both groups to be intolerable.  Also I had some run-ins with Memphis fans that were not very pleasant.

I went to the Shoe a few times when Huggins was still at Cincy.  I was expecting the worst but was surprised that their fans werent actually all that bad.  I think the Villanova fans have been the best group I've come across though.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 05:49:01 PM »
I went to the Shoe a few times when Huggins was still at Cincy.  I was expecting the worst but was surprised that their fans werent actually all that bad.  I think the Villanova fans have been the best group I've come across though.

WVU and Nova fans get my pick as the nicest. 

bork

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 08:49:34 PM »
Louisville gets my vote for worst fans.  I'll never forgot how many Louisville fans were jerks at the game that Reece Gaines won with that half court three.  Taunting MU fans after the game and really being jerks.  I'm surprised that a brawl didn't break out.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
Louisville gets my vote for worst fans.  I'll never forgot how many Louisville fans were jerks at the game that Reece Gaines won with that half court three.  Taunting MU fans after the game and really being jerks.  I'm surprised that a brawl didn't break out.

My Dad is about as calm a guy as you'll find, and would normally be the one holding me back.

That said, I thought he was gonna punch out one of those red pleather clad UL fans after that game. Our season tickets were in the end zone, right in the middle of all of them. That was as silent of a ride home as I can remember.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 01:34:17 AM »
Thanks for posting but i question your character by the apparent pride you are taking by quoting a stat that only 3% of the GU students are from Washington DC. Are you pround of this?

I would consider that a problem. Its a shame your school alienates these potential students. Most schools would love to be located in a city with an opportunity to reach these students.

You must not know anything about D.C. schools, much less the make-up of D.C. in general. If you think Milwaukee's inner city and school system is bad, just check out D.C. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/09/AR2007060901415.html ....University of D.C. is basically considered a joke. Oh, and for the record all D.C. residents get in-state tuition to any public college and university in the nation.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:41:27 AM by KCMarq09 »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 01:59:03 AM »
PITT has the worst fans by far.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 05:08:45 AM »
Thanks for posting but i question your character by the apparent pride you are taking by quoting a stat that only 3% of the GU students are from Washington DC. Are you pround of this?
I would consider that a problem. Its a shame your school alienates these potential students. Most schools would love to be located in a city with an opportunity to reach these students.

It has a national student body and as such, has fewer local students (and fans) to draw upon. More students come to Georgetown from California than any other state.

"Good" and "bad" fans are largely a result of personal experiences. I know Louisville fans get a bad reputation but they could have not been more civil in our section last year when Georgetown visited Freedom Hall. Conversely, I still remember when Syracuse fans threw bananas on the court at Patrick Ewing or the Villanova students that paraded through the Spectrum in prison garb for Allen Iverson's opening game there. First impressions can be lasting ones.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »
Wow, I am really looking forward to heading out there in a couple of weeks.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 12:30:08 PM »
Wow, I am really looking forward to heading out there in a couple of weeks.

Ditto.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 12:31:44 PM »
I like how we're roasting other fans here, but this is actually an honest question that I don't know the answer to:

How are Marquette fans perceived elsewhere/by our opponents' fans?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 12:39:27 PM »
ND- We're obnoixious bastards who have the gall to cheer loudly for our team.

Beyond that.. no idea. ;)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »
I like how we're roasting other fans here, but this is actually an honest question that I don't know the answer to:

My best guess is that we are an unknown quantity.  But if we continue to buzzsaw through the BE in the years to come, I'm sure our fan base will begin to be disliked.  I really only go to road games living out on the East Coast, and the MU fans I have witnessed have behaved and only been positive.  Except you lab warrior, you need to watch your language  :D

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 12:48:24 PM »

HAHAHAHA that was a great night. :D
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 03:41:19 PM »

At the UW-Madison game a Wisconsin dad told me he would "knock [my] f*cking teeth out."

PE8983

• Team Captain
Pitt fans
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
Pitt fans wear tee shirts to their football games that say, "If you ain't from Pitt, you ain't s**t".  Says it all.  It's a little close to the WV state line...

Pepperoni_Cannoli

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »
Fans at Marquette games make up the words "You Suck!" to the "Hey!" song and point at the opposing players' famalies.  I don't have a problem with it, but the glass houses in this thread are incredible.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 06:30:04 PM »
Yep. Directly at the families. Takes some research to do. Typically, there is a group of students who goes to the opposing team's hometown each game and videotapes each player's family for a bit so that actual photography is available. Then, after developing the footage, they print it out and make copies en masse and then bring a combined portfolio of photos for each player's family for most of the students in the student section.

Pepperoni_Cannoli

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »
Either that or they just point at the people sitting directly behind the opposing bench wearing clothing with the other school's mascot on it.

GO_MU02

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2009, 07:17:19 PM »
or perhaps they are pointing at the bench and not the people sitting behind it.

fjg44

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »

We are just like all of these schools you have described.  We have obnoxious young fans that like to taunt the other team and their fans.  If you have gone to enough road games you have run into enough opposing fans to piss someone off.  They can say the exact same thing about bus loads of our fans.  See the Depaul game this Tuesday for many examples.

Which year was it when the MU fan punched Chet Coppock?  Great example of an awesome MU fan.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »
Personally, I enjoy the more clever student "taunting" like our first year in the Big East.  The faux laptops the student section had for that UCONN player were priceless.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »
Personally, I enjoy the more clever student "taunting" like our first year in the Big East.  The faux laptops the student section had for that UCONN player were priceless.

Haha so clever they got taken away.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 10:24:39 PM »
Haha so clever they got taken away.

Oh Jimmy Nas...

They made it to the first TV timeout... and I was able to salvage one of them.

I think the record for quickest hook goes to notkirkcameron. His sign, utilizing the Cincinnati C as the first letter in "Criminals" lasted all of 22 seconds.

feedback