[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gtown fans  (Read 13289 times)

g0ldmember42

• Starter
Gtown fans
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:19:35 PM »
Hello Scoop! Relatively new poster here (follow the site religiously, though). Got back from the game a little while ago and was very impressed with our performance in the second half especially. Seems halftime adjustments are key. Whether we just calm down and get into our groove or Buzz lights everyone on fire at half, I don't know, but it sure seems to work.

Of the 19,000 or so at the game, I was fortunate enough to sit by 5 of the Gtown fans in the lower bowl. By far, some of the most obnoxious fans out there in the first half. Fortunately for myself and all the MU faithful I sit around, they were mighty quiet in the second half.....

I know we view Gtown as a big game whenever we play, but I think we have yet to earn the respect of some of the fans of other "elite" opponents. Maybe it's just me, but I think games like these help validate our name as one of the elite BE teams.

Did anyone else have any interesting encounters with Hoya fans today at the BC? Didn't seem like there were very many there.....

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Gtown fans
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »
There were a bunch in 427. Had a nice convo with a couple younger alums while waiting in the bathroom line.

You are right though- the east coast "old guard" does not view MU as belonging, even with our success.

g0ldmember42

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »
the ones I was with were good sports at the end of the game, but still made it sound more like a bad Gtown game than a good MU one.

Wonder how many seasons before that changes...

Norm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 06:40:55 PM »
Don't take offense from Georgetown fans. I've lived in DC for 10 years now, and the first 7 years they never cam close to selling out the Verizon Center. They've rebounded under Thompson Jr., but they only recently passed Maryland as the big draw out here.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:26:21 PM »
There was a busload of Gtown fans at Mars Cheese Castle after the game.   They were all plowed.   I'd be surprised if a handful of them even knew they lost the game when they wake up

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 08:17:19 PM »
Don't take offense from Georgetown fans. I've lived in DC for 10 years now, and the first 7 years they never cam close to selling out the Verizon Center. They've rebounded under Thompson Jr., but they only recently passed Maryland as the big draw out here.

Thompson "Jr" coached the Hoyas from 1972-99. His son is John Thompson III.

I don't sense the same antipathy some are trying to raise in this thread between each schools. The fact is that Marquette and Georgetown don't share much of an atheltic rivalry, its students are coming from different parts of the country, and there aren't a lot of ties beyond men's basketball.

Marquette enjoys great support in the Milwaukee region, but a great deal of MU students and alumni live within a few hours of Wisconsin Avenue. By contrast, only 3% of Georgetown students come from Washington DC, it's about half the size of MU, and most of its alumni are not even in DC, making a "home court advantage" an ongoing challenge. We're working on it, but between the Redskins, the NBA, the NHL, Maryland, and six other D-I schools within 45 minutes of the campus, there are a lot of competitors for the sports dollar.

I would like to see MU and Georgetown be active in more sports between them, but this does not seem likely. Of Georgetown's five most active sports, MU competes in just two of them: basketball and track. There's no lacrosse program at MU, no baseball program, and I suspect Fr. Wild would sooner wear a Warriors sweatshirt than add I-AA football. (If he changes his mind, Georgetown, Fordham, and Holy Cross are all available for the schedule.)

Distance aside, there hasn't been enough time elapsed for MU and DePaul to have established rivaries with the more established Big East teams.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
I stand corrected on the Thompson family tree, but I think I remember some of the radio folks around here calling him Junior. Regardless, he's still a great coach.

However, my experience is that there are a ton of Georgetown grads in the DC area, especially from the Law School. Seems like everyone I work with on Capitol Hill has some tie to GU, and all are fans of the bball team. Plus, does Georgetown really only have about 4-5,000 students?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 08:25:07 PM »
Hello Scoop! Relatively new poster here (follow the site religiously, though). Got back from the game a little while ago and was very impressed with our performance in the second half especially. Seems halftime adjustments are key. Whether we just calm down and get into our groove or Buzz lights everyone on fire at half, I don't know, but it sure seems to work.

Of the 19,000 or so at the game, I was fortunate enough to sit by 5 of the Gtown fans in the lower bowl. By far, some of the most obnoxious fans out there in the first half. Fortunately for myself and all the MU faithful I sit around, they were mighty quiet in the second half.....

I know we view Gtown as a big game whenever we play, but I think we have yet to earn the respect of some of the fans of other "elite" opponents. Maybe it's just me, but I think games like these help validate our name as one of the elite BE teams.

Did anyone else have any interesting encounters with Hoya fans today at the BC? Didn't seem like there were very many there.....

Go to the Big East Tournament and many of them are real jerks, unfortunately.  Pitt fans the worst.  I actually had good experiences with the Syracuse fans, PC and WVU.   GTown, Pitt and UCONN were very arrogant.  I guess it goes with winning.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 08:47:51 PM »
I live and work in DC...and not one GU alum was willing to take a bet on this game. In fact, when I told them that Pomeroy had MU as a 3 point favorite winning 60% of the time, they all said they expected GU to lose by much more than that!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 08:49:22 PM »
I live and work in DC...and not one GU alum was willing to take a bet on this game. In fact, when I told them that Pomeroy had MU as a 3 point favorite winning 60% of the time, they all said they expected GU to lose by much more than that!

And.........they were right.  Good Jesuit education will do that.
Ludum habemus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 08:55:48 PM »

They were smart.  GU is not playing well right now as everyone is aware.  Losses to Seton Hall and Cincinnati coming into our game did not bode well for them.  They're deficient at the guard spot especially.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 09:49:40 PM »
They were smart.  GU is not playing well right now as everyone is aware.  Losses to Seton Hall and Cincinnati coming into our game did not bode well for them.  They're deficient at the guard spot especially.

It could have just as easily gone GU's way if Summer was 100%, they received more FT opportunities (or we had significantly less), and their hot 1st half 3 pt shooting held up.

But I'm glad those three things did NOT happen. :)
SS Marquette

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 09:57:07 PM »
It could have just as easily gone GU's way if Summer was 100%, they received more FT opportunities (or we had significantly less), and their hot 1st half 3 pt shooting held up.

But I'm glad those three things did NOT happen. :)

I believe Summers had his season high today in points.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
G'town fans are not nearly as arrogant as UCONN fans. Those guys in Storrs have absolutely nothing to live for other than their basketball teams. Their coaches are pompous asses and their fans piss off every other school at the BE Tournament.

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 10:46:38 PM »
G'town fans are not nearly as arrogant as UCONN fans. Those guys in Storrs have absolutely nothing to live for other than their basketball teams. Their coaches are pompous asses and their fans piss off every other school at the BE Tournament.

Wow, when we went to the BE tournament last year, we had the best interactions with G'town and UConn fans.  We stayed in the same hotel as WV, and they were jerks, and the Pitt people were horrid. .  .

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »
I stand corrected on the Thompson family tree, but I think I remember some of the radio folks around here calling him Junior. Regardless, he's still a great coach.

I think most everybody refers to him as junior, I think that I saw a thread on the Georgetown board about this subject, and since John Thompson was usually referred to just that and not junior he has always just been Sr. and JT3 is junior. And I agree, he is my second favorite coach in he Big East after Buzz of course. I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about him.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 09:11:50 AM »
Gtown fans are by far the worst fans in the BE. I've traveled to a number of away games and I've never been treated as poorly as I was at the verizon center two years ago. When we walked in there were several groups of drunk gtown fans purposefully knocking into and shoving female Marquette fans. While seated in the lower bowl gtown fans threw various items at us from the upper bowl and I don't even want to try to publish the profanity laced taunts that they were yelling at us when we lost.

I live in DC and I'm going to the game this year and I am preparing for war. I hope MU drops 100 on them. 

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 09:43:58 AM »
you really can't comment on the class of a school's fan base simply because you ran into some drunk a-holes after a game

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 10:17:35 AM »
you really can't comment on the class of a school's fan base simply because you ran into some drunk a-holes after a game

It was before, during, and after if you read what I actually wrote. I was with a very large group of Marquette fans and we were all seated in different parts of the Verizon center and the consensus was pretty much the same.

I've been to a lot of opposing teams home courts/stadiums and I have never witnessed the level classlessness and lack of respect that I saw at the Verizon Center.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »
There was a busload of Gtown fans at Mars Cheese Castle after the game.   They were all plowed.   I'd be surprised if a handful of them even knew they lost the game when they wake up

I saw a busload of GT fans at Mars last year and they were drunk pricks.  There were a bunch of MU fans in the store and the GT fans started taunting the MU fans.  Luckily my wife dragged me out of there before anything escalated.  Really left a bad taste in my mouth about their fans. 
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 10:57:32 AM »
I saw a busload of GT fans at Mars last year and they were drunk pricks.  There were a bunch of MU fans in the store and the GT fans started taunting the MU fans.  Luckily my wife dragged me out of there before anything escalated.  Really left a bad taste in my mouth about their fans. 

should have eaten some cheese. would have gotten rid of that bad taste and replaced it with a great one  :D

MarquetteDano

• All American
Ville fans
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 11:04:53 AM »
Interesting reading this thread regarding the various fan groups.  As a person who travels extensively for work,  I get a chance to see a lot of different fan bases.  One thing I have learned to discount is students and generally younger fans.  As a whole, most students and younger fans are about the same.  They are going to be passionate, sometimes drunk, and that can be discounted.

To me, what is more telling is when you have 40+ year olds acting like asses.  That is the real sign of a poor fan base.  You also need a good sample size of people as there is always going to be the occasional jerk in every fan base.

That said, Louisville wins the prize of worst fan base in the Big East.  I have seen it at C-USA tourneys.  I saw it in New York last year, I have seen it going to some games in the 'Ville (not even against Marquette).  I have seen it when they travel to Milwaukee.  I have seen it when I just meet a fan on the street or at a restaurant.  They are just a little too "passionate".  Worst yet, there is a general lack of honesty and a revisionist history of events that occur.

Of course this is not bad mouthing all Cardinal fans.  They are plenty of good ones too.  It just they appear to have the largest minority of bad fans.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 03:52:22 PM »
it's about half the size of MU

2007 Enrollment

MU

Undergrad - 7,955
Total - 11,516

http://www.marquette.edu/oira/documents/f_hdct_acadcar_coll.pdf

GU

Undergrad - 6,853
Total - 14,148

http://explore.georgetown.edu/documents/?DocumentID=742

The excuse that GU doesn't draw as well as MU due to size is simply wrong.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 04:38:05 PM »
Thanks for posting but i question your character by the apparent pride you are taking by quoting a stat that only 3% of the GU students are from Washington DC. Are you pround of this?

I would consider that a problem. Its a shame your school alienates these potential students. Most schools would love to be located in a city with an opportunity to reach these students.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Thompson "Jr" coached the Hoyas from 1972-99. His son is John Thompson III.

I don't sense the same antipathy some are trying to raise in this thread between each schools. The fact is that Marquette and Georgetown don't share much of an atheltic rivalry, its students are coming from different parts of the country, and there aren't a lot of ties beyond men's basketball.

Marquette enjoys great support in the Milwaukee region, but a great deal of MU students and alumni live within a few hours of Wisconsin Avenue. By contrast, only 3% of Georgetown students come from Washington DC, it's about half the size of MU, and most of its alumni are not even in DC, making a "home court advantage" an ongoing challenge. We're working on it, but between the Redskins, the NBA, the NHL, Maryland, and six other D-I schools within 45 minutes of the campus, there are a lot of competitors for the sports dollar.

I would like to see MU and Georgetown be active in more sports between them, but this does not seem likely. Of Georgetown's five most active sports, MU competes in just two of them: basketball and track. There's no lacrosse program at MU, no baseball program, and I suspect Fr. Wild would sooner wear a Warriors sweatshirt than add I-AA football. (If he changes his mind, Georgetown, Fordham, and Holy Cross are all available for the schedule.)

Distance aside, there hasn't been enough time elapsed for MU and DePaul to have established rivaries with the more established Big East teams.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 04:51:23 PM »
Having seen away games at a number of BE schools, I'd say:

Good Fans
Villanova
Cinci

Tolerable Fans
West Virginia
Georgetown
Louisville

Terrible Fans
Pitt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 04:55:12 PM »

The Mars is being torn down and relocated, BTW.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Ville fans
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 05:15:32 PM »
That said, Louisville wins the prize of worst fan base in the Big East.  I have seen it at C-USA tourneys.  I saw it in New York last year, I have seen it going to some games in the 'Ville (not even against Marquette).  I have seen it when they travel to Milwaukee.  I have seen it when I just meet a fan on the street or at a restaurant.  They are just a little too "passionate".  Worst yet, there is a general lack of honesty and a revisionist history of events that occur.

Of course this is not bad mouthing all Cardinal fans.  They are plenty of good ones too.  It just they appear to have the largest minority of bad fans.
Reece Gains's family always used to get the suite right behind our section for Louisville's games at the BC.  They were the most obnoxious a-hole fans I've ever ran into.  I understand that they have even more in the game than the average fan having a son/relative playing in the game, but to be as obnoxious as they were was completely over the top.

However, in New Orleans for the Final Four in 2003 we ran into a couple of groups of Louisville fans wishing us luck, saying they were rooting for us.  Most likely because they were in the same conference and would get some of the money that we got for advancing, but still they were very nice.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GO_MU02

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »
I've been to my fair share of away games in the BE and to the CUSA tourney many times and I'd say that the worst fan groups were Louisville and Georgetown.  I found both groups to be intolerable.  Also I had some run-ins with Memphis fans that were not very pleasant.

I went to the Shoe a few times when Huggins was still at Cincy.  I was expecting the worst but was surprised that their fans werent actually all that bad.  I think the Villanova fans have been the best group I've come across though.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 05:49:01 PM »
I went to the Shoe a few times when Huggins was still at Cincy.  I was expecting the worst but was surprised that their fans werent actually all that bad.  I think the Villanova fans have been the best group I've come across though.

WVU and Nova fans get my pick as the nicest. 

bork

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 08:49:34 PM »
Louisville gets my vote for worst fans.  I'll never forgot how many Louisville fans were jerks at the game that Reece Gaines won with that half court three.  Taunting MU fans after the game and really being jerks.  I'm surprised that a brawl didn't break out.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
Louisville gets my vote for worst fans.  I'll never forgot how many Louisville fans were jerks at the game that Reece Gaines won with that half court three.  Taunting MU fans after the game and really being jerks.  I'm surprised that a brawl didn't break out.

My Dad is about as calm a guy as you'll find, and would normally be the one holding me back.

That said, I thought he was gonna punch out one of those red pleather clad UL fans after that game. Our season tickets were in the end zone, right in the middle of all of them. That was as silent of a ride home as I can remember.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 01:34:17 AM »
Thanks for posting but i question your character by the apparent pride you are taking by quoting a stat that only 3% of the GU students are from Washington DC. Are you pround of this?

I would consider that a problem. Its a shame your school alienates these potential students. Most schools would love to be located in a city with an opportunity to reach these students.

You must not know anything about D.C. schools, much less the make-up of D.C. in general. If you think Milwaukee's inner city and school system is bad, just check out D.C. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/09/AR2007060901415.html ....University of D.C. is basically considered a joke. Oh, and for the record all D.C. residents get in-state tuition to any public college and university in the nation.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:41:27 AM by KCMarq09 »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 01:59:03 AM »
PITT has the worst fans by far.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 05:08:45 AM »

It has a national student body and as such, has fewer local students (and fans) to draw upon. More students come to Georgetown from California than any other state.

"Good" and "bad" fans are largely a result of personal experiences. I know Louisville fans get a bad reputation but they could have not been more civil in our section last year when Georgetown visited Freedom Hall. Conversely, I still remember when Syracuse fans threw bananas on the court at Patrick Ewing or the Villanova students that paraded through the Spectrum in prison garb for Allen Iverson's opening game there. First impressions can be lasting ones.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »
Wow, I am really looking forward to heading out there in a couple of weeks.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 12:30:08 PM »
Wow, I am really looking forward to heading out there in a couple of weeks.

Ditto.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 12:31:44 PM »
I like how we're roasting other fans here, but this is actually an honest question that I don't know the answer to:

How are Marquette fans perceived elsewhere/by our opponents' fans?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 12:39:27 PM »
ND- We're obnoixious bastards who have the gall to cheer loudly for our team.

Beyond that.. no idea. ;)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »
I like how we're roasting other fans here, but this is actually an honest question that I don't know the answer to:

My best guess is that we are an unknown quantity.  But if we continue to buzzsaw through the BE in the years to come, I'm sure our fan base will begin to be disliked.  I really only go to road games living out on the East Coast, and the MU fans I have witnessed have behaved and only been positive.  Except you lab warrior, you need to watch your language  :D

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 12:48:24 PM »

HAHAHAHA that was a great night. :D
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 03:41:19 PM »

At the UW-Madison game a Wisconsin dad told me he would "knock [my] f*cking teeth out."

PE8983

• Team Captain
Pitt fans
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
Pitt fans wear tee shirts to their football games that say, "If you ain't from Pitt, you ain't s**t".  Says it all.  It's a little close to the WV state line...

Pepperoni_Cannoli

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »
Fans at Marquette games make up the words "You Suck!" to the "Hey!" song and point at the opposing players' famalies.  I don't have a problem with it, but the glass houses in this thread are incredible.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 06:30:04 PM »
Yep. Directly at the families. Takes some research to do. Typically, there is a group of students who goes to the opposing team's hometown each game and videotapes each player's family for a bit so that actual photography is available. Then, after developing the footage, they print it out and make copies en masse and then bring a combined portfolio of photos for each player's family for most of the students in the student section.

Pepperoni_Cannoli

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »
Either that or they just point at the people sitting directly behind the opposing bench wearing clothing with the other school's mascot on it.

GO_MU02

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2009, 07:17:19 PM »
or perhaps they are pointing at the bench and not the people sitting behind it.

fjg44

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »

We are just like all of these schools you have described.  We have obnoxious young fans that like to taunt the other team and their fans.  If you have gone to enough road games you have run into enough opposing fans to piss someone off.  They can say the exact same thing about bus loads of our fans.  See the Depaul game this Tuesday for many examples.

Which year was it when the MU fan punched Chet Coppock?  Great example of an awesome MU fan.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »
Personally, I enjoy the more clever student "taunting" like our first year in the Big East.  The faux laptops the student section had for that UCONN player were priceless.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »
Personally, I enjoy the more clever student "taunting" like our first year in the Big East.  The faux laptops the student section had for that UCONN player were priceless.

Haha so clever they got taken away.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 10:24:39 PM »
Haha so clever they got taken away.

Oh Jimmy Nas...

They made it to the first TV timeout... and I was able to salvage one of them.

I think the record for quickest hook goes to notkirkcameron. His sign, utilizing the Cincinnati C as the first letter in "Criminals" lasted all of 22 seconds.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2009, 10:38:15 PM »
Oh Jimmy Nas...

I think the record for quickest hook goes to notkirkcameron. His sign, utilizing the Cincinnati C as the first letter in "Criminals" lasted all of 22 seconds.

If  you look at the Cincy "C" the cat paws look like 6 6 6.  Need we say more?
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2009, 11:07:17 PM »
Fans at Marquette games make up the words "You Suck!" to the "Hey!" song and point at the opposing players' famalies.  I don't have a problem with it, but the glass houses in this thread are incredible.

i usually substitute with "Marquette" or else i point ambivalently.... seriously though, those #*$&ing depaul fans behind us in 426 had it coming!!!

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2009, 11:12:06 PM »
We are just like all of these schools you have described.  We have obnoxious young fans that like to taunt the other team and their fans.  If you have gone to enough road games you have run into enough opposing fans to piss someone off.  They can say the exact same thing about bus loads of our fans.  See the Depaul game this Tuesday for many examples.

Which year was it when the MU fan punched Chet Coppock?  Great example of an awesome MU fan.

yeah i can vouch for that; i am sure many of you are cubs-fearing/loathing MU fans . . . as a Cubs fan it really sucks when the home fans are so disrespectful to the away fans at Miller Park ... sometimes it gets scary.

Also, in line w/ Pepperoni 8, i definitely have felt embarrassed to hear any chants of "F" the Irish/any other team while waiting outside in line for the BC.  Talk about classless.  That was certainly not one of the finer student section moments :/

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2009, 11:22:54 PM »
Haha here is some UCONN cockiness on Hoops:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415&f=2850&t=3876221

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2009, 12:24:13 AM »
This Marquette fan isn't making a good impression of us on the Louisville forums.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2764&t=3876173

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2009, 12:34:51 AM »
Oh Jimmy Nas...

I remember that sign from a couple years back. Still the best sign I've witnessed at an MU game.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2009, 12:36:45 AM »

yeah i can vouch for that; i am sure many of you are cubs-fearing/loathing MU fans . . . as a Cubs fan it really sucks when the home fans are so disrespectful to the away fans at Miller Park ... sometimes it gets scary.

Also, in line w/ Pepperoni 8, i definitely have felt embarrassed to hear any chants of "F" the Irish/any other team while waiting outside in line for the BC.  Talk about classless.  That was certainly not one of the finer student section moments :/

Please don't open up the Cubs/Brewers debate. It will overtake this entire board. Thank you.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2009, 08:05:01 AM »
I remember that sign from a couple years back. Still the best sign I've witnessed at an MU game.

My favorite was against either SLU or DePaul (either Travis' brother or cousin)

"It's not the size of your Diener, it's how you use it"

mucrew08

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2009, 08:15:18 AM »
Personally I don't care what other fans think of us. I have been to many away games, including UW, and i fully expect to get yelled at, taunted, and made fun of. Its part of college basketball. We keep things pretty classy in our section about 99% of the time its all clean (of course there are times when its not but we are college students). Example was the UWM game when one of their fans called security on us 4 times, but they couldn't do anything because we weren't doing anything wrong.

bballjones98

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2009, 01:13:32 PM »
i think marquette is vastly underrated...whenever i talk to people about college bball, i find myself constantly reminding them about us

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2009, 11:56:43 PM »
My favorite was against either SLU or DePaul (either Travis' brother or cousin)

"It's not the size of your Diener, it's how you use it"

i think it was DePaul (against Drake)

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2009, 11:59:10 PM »
Please don't open up the Cubs/Brewers debate. It will overtake this entire board. Thank you.

I don't think I am opening up a debate.  I am sure a Brewers fan who's been to Wrigley would feel similarly.  Both clubs have fans who are less than gentile.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2009, 12:33:25 AM »

Good thing someone snapped a picture before security didn't find it as funny as I did.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews