Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A thought on Oversigning  (Read 20266 times)

esotericmindguy

• All American
A thought on Oversigning
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:30:29 PM »
Is it possible that Cubillan is planning on leaving MU at the end of the year?  With Buycks, Junior, Acker, and possibly Colvin or Snaer where does Cubillan fit?  I know he was on the national team for a short time this past year, maybe he has offers in S. America to make some money and finish up school down there.  Just something that popped into my head when I found out that Buzz wasn't done recruiting.  Thoughts?

Nukem2

• All American
Re: A thought on Oversigning
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:39:59 PM »
Once again, we should not be talking about individual players in such a context.  Just not fair or proper.  The practical matter is that things happen over time.  Trying to guess what might happen is fruitless.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 01:45:45 PM »
Yeah, its really random.  We can make theories about anyone.  I say we just hold tight til the recruiting scene really squares away.  I was probably on the biggest "Snare Snaer" bandwagon and I think he will go to Missouri.  If he goes there, he will play about 40 minutes a game.  They have no talent.  I think one four star in the last three years.  I would be shocked if MU picks anyone else up for 2009.  But then again, let's just wait.

GO MU
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 01:58:35 PM »
Interesting that Snaer's top teams appear to be Mizzou and Florida State. Both coaches are truly on the hot seat this season.  Have to see how this situation plays out over time.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 02:08:55 PM »
w/in the program, it is felt that MU has a 50% chance of signing Snaer.  The thought is that Mizzou and FSU are the leaders. because of AAU coaching connections.  What are they going to tell Snaer--if you come we will kick some one out?  How is that going to sit w/ him?

Tough situation all around.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »
Is it rare for teams to over sign going into a season?  Are they even allowed to do that?  For example, lets say Colvin or Snaer commit to MU next week, then I imagine it would cause some confusion amongst the team right?

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 02:17:47 PM »
it actually happens quite frequently with top programs because they often have a lot of turnover on their roster with transfers unhappy with playing time and players leaving early for the NBA.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 02:37:05 PM »
If Snaer is offered an over-booked scholarship, I hope it is with full disclosure that his scholarship is contingent upon a spot opening up.

If that is the case, I highly doubt Snaer will commit. Why would a top recruit like Snaer accept a conditional scholarship when he can go so many other places?

For the record, I understand the perceived need to over-book schollies and the current NCAA climate where such over-booking is accepted, but I dislike the practice.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 03:13:13 PM »
If Snaer is offered an over-booked scholarship, I hope it is with full disclosure that his scholarship is contingent upon a spot opening up.

That's funny.  If Snaer commits, worry nary a minute about a spot opening up. 

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:15:01 PM by Stone Cold »

jce

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 03:32:18 PM »
Interesting that Snaer's top teams appear to be Mizzou and Florida State. Both coaches are truly on the hot seat this season.  Have to see how this situation plays out over time.

Is Anderson really on the hot seat at Mizzou?  He's only been there two years and at least has them competitive.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 03:40:10 PM »

If you believe the rumors, Snaer is really being pushed by his AAU coach to pick one of those two, and the fact that the coach's job may not be stable does not matter as much as the fact that the coach is African American.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 04:25:02 PM »
If Marquette65 is correct and there really was a 50% chance of landing Snear then I really would question why we gave away our last scholarship.  Snear is a potential season changer in an area that (since Novak) we have been weak.  To give that up for a power forward who is not likely to have a big impact until his junior year seems a bad trade.  Some have talked about that offers could be made "if available".  Is it possible that Roseboro is the guy that has accepted the "if available" offer leaving the guaranteed scholarship still waiting for Snear.  After all it seemed like MU was Roseboro's solid first choice.  Taking an "if available"offer may have been good enough for him.  

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 04:28:26 PM »

Is Anderson really on the hot seat at Mizzou?  He's only been there two years and at least has them competitive.
Actually, Anderson was on a "hot seat" list in the past week.  To date, his "40 minutes of hell" style of play has not yet caught on at Mizzou.  His hope is that it will this year with all players being his recruits.  Time will tell.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 06:03:31 PM »

If that is the case, I highly doubt Snaer will commit. Why would a top recruit like Snaer accept a conditional scholarship when he can go so many other places?

For the record, I understand the perceived need to over-book schollies and the current NCAA climate where such over-booking is accepted, but I dislike the practice.

If a player signs a letter of intent the scholarship is guaranteed for one year, unless he is not admitted to the university. So if we oversign on letter of intent day and everyone qualifies then someone else has to go. The only way you can give out a conditional scholarship is not to have the player sign a letter of intent. Given that Buzz is actively recruiting another guard you have to assume a current player is leaving or has the money to pay his own way. If Buzz already knows that a player is leaving, then he is not oversigning. There is always the possibility of Buzz making an Aker or Culliban a graduate assistant. They would get a scholarship for their education, but would not be able to play for the team.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
Is it possible that Cubillan is planning on leaving MU at the end of the year?  With Buycks, Junior, Acker, and possibly Colvin or Snaer where does Cubillan fit?  I know he was on the national team for a short time this past year, maybe he has offers in S. America to make some money and finish up school down there.  Just something that popped into my head when I found out that Buzz wasn't done recruiting.  Thoughts?

Didn't Crackedsidewalks say the same thing about Cubby last year about this time?  And even though he was hurt he still was an integral player.  I think Cubby will have a valuable roll on this team till he graduates.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 08:31:28 AM »
Didn't Crackedsidewalks say the same thing about Cubby last year about this time? 

Nope.  Here is what I wrote back in March http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/03/look-back-with-eye-on-future.html:

David Cubillan: He was my pick to struggle this year, and he followed suit. After his 13 point effort in the win against Pittsburgh in February, Cubillan became one of MU's most ineffective players in the last month of the season. Cubillan scored a combined 14 points in MU's last eleven games, shooting 16% from the field (5 for 31) amidst declining playing time. With the emergence of Maurice Acker, the impending arrival of Nick Williams and Tyshawn Taylor, as well as a healthier Scott Christopherson it is difficult to see Cubillan contributing to this team next season.

Obviously the world is a very different place right now for David Cubillan....and at the time it was not clear that DC needed surgery on both shoulders.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:33:15 AM by NYWarrior »

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »
NY Warrior, I was refering to this Cracked Sidewalk post almost a year ago. 

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007/10/some-early-mu-predictions.html

October 4, 2007 post

Most likely to struggle: David Cubillan. With Maurice Acker in the mix, look for Cubillan to struggle with his role in a more crowded backcourt. Crean needs PGs who can run a north-south offense, even in the halfcourt. David is an east-west player when he's at the helm, unable to beat defenders off the dribble. How will he adjust?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 10:22:47 AM »
NY Warrior, I was refering to this Cracked Sidewalk post almost a year ago. 

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007/10/some-early-mu-predictions.html

October 4, 2007 post

Most likely to struggle: David Cubillan. With Maurice Acker in the mix, look for Cubillan to struggle with his role in a more crowded backcourt. Crean needs PGs who can run a north-south offense, even in the halfcourt. David is an east-west player when he's at the helm, unable to beat defenders off the dribble. How will he adjust?

Right -- that's the original post that was referenced in the 07/08 season-wrap up that I quoted above.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:28:02 AM by NYWarrior »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
A comparison of Acker and Cubillan in terms of their "net points" production for all games from BE on.

Both guys really mirrored team production, but starting with the Villanova game DC's net contributions fell off a cliff.  Probably related to the shoulder injury.

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 02:36:40 PM »
Awesome post, Henry Sugar.

I love the Cubillionaire.  I had almost as much confidence in him shooting threes as I came to have in Lazar last year, then all of a sudden he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  Something looked way off.  In hindsight, he was obviously injured.  I would take a healthy Cubillan over Acker any day because of the defensive intensity he brings to the table.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »

With the emergence of Maurice Acker, the impending arrival of Nick Williams and Tyshawn Taylor, as well as a healthier Scott Christopherson it is difficult to see Cubillan contributing to this team next season.

This goes to show how much player turnover there can be in just one off-season.  Obviously a unique situation with TC leaving, but why would you stop recruiting until those LOIs are actually signed next month.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 08:55:20 PM »
This goes to show how much player turnover there can be in just one off-season.  Obviously a unique situation with TC leaving, but why would you stop recruiting until those LOIs are actually signed next month.

Bingo.

And despite his wonderful academic progress, let's also remember the summer threads that cautioned MUScoopers that Maymon may not qualify.
SS Marquette

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 08:38:46 AM »
I love how we can't speculate on individual players but coaches can over-sign. 

Also, shouldn't DJ be in Euro right now b/c his family is so broke, he has to go and b/c he's graduating in 3 years?

So what graduate program is he in this year and how did his family get cash?

Whoops, nevermind, TC left and so did the lies from his PR staff.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 09:23:10 AM »
I love how we can't speculate on individual players but coaches can over-sign. 

Also, shouldn't DJ be in Euro right now b/c his family is so broke, he has to go and b/c he's graduating in 3 years?

So what graduate program is he in this year and how did his family get cash?

Whoops, nevermind, TC left and so did the lies from his PR staff.

Great post.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »
he's actually working as an intern at WSSP. Don't know where DJ is finding time to do that though...that doesn't really help his financial situation though.

feedback