'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: "...nobody has a clue what we are going to do offensively."  (Read 12954 times)

jce

"...nobody has a clue what we are going to do offensively."
« on: October 19, 2008, 08:15:16 AM »
From today's MJS:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=807620

Well, I sincerely hope that they figure it out soon.

ecompt

• All American
Re: "...nobody has a clue what we are going to do offensively."
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:48:42 AM »
Unlike last year, when we knew what we would do offensively: dribble on the perimeter for 28 seconds, then take a rushed shot. I have a feeling Jerel is absolutely going to have a monster year this season.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »
From today's MJS:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=807620

Well, I sincerely hope that they figure it out soon.

Not a good sign------sounds like an extentsion of JUCO "run and shoot BB" with very little
structure.

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 09:15:16 AM »

Relax, folks.  They haven't started practice yet.  Something tells me they'll have a play or two coming mid November.

Go Warriors.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 09:29:47 AM »
Not a good sign------sounds like an extentsion of JUCO "run and shoot BB" with very little
structure.

Seems to work alright for the memphis tigers.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:01:58 AM »
Do we have Memphis like talent?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:17:24 AM »
I think we knew from the start with Buzz, that the offense would be simplified - not as many sets as Crean, etc. which sometimes disadvantaged us according to some of the players - I think DJ said Buzz will let us shoot and give us the freedom to decide on the court as opposed to absolutely running a set play.

The strategy issue is a concern, for sure.  We all hope Buzz has a great sense of the game, and can see how to make adjustments - that is the key.  We will know soon.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »
Won't be nearly as many set plays this year.  The coaches' philosophy is when you have the players to create shots on their own, why constrict them?  I tend to agree, however I would like to see some sort of base offense put in.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 10:54:12 AM »
I like everyone else am anxious about if Buzz has the coaching chops.   But to be fair to him this quote was from last week before practice started.   If you listen to the D James interview from yesterday he says he sees things coming together and the offense is pick oriented and that's why they were doing so many read drills off of picks over the off season.   Sounds like a motion offense coming into place to me.

To quote D James in the latest interview:
"We're running a continuity offense.  Coach isn't really getting caught up about who's playing the 1,2,3,4 or 5."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:56:46 AM by Stone Cold »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 11:18:04 AM »
I think waaaayyyyy too much is being made of a single quote in a single article before official practices actually kick off.    Are we all that anxious for our basketball fix?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »
I think waaaayyyyy too much is being made of a single quote in a single article before official practices actually kick off.    Are we all that anxious for our basketball fix?

Yes!  Let the season begin LOL!  It's been a long spring and summer. . . . hahaha

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »
I hear ya fellas. I'm so jacked up for the Madness this Saturday I can't even stand it!!

Pardner

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »
structure.

We can run Buzz's simplified "4 out 1 in" motion offense or TC's complicated pro set weave--if we don't hit our outside shots against the zone with our line-up, we are toast.  TC even pulled back a bit last year.  I think Buzz's offense better fits our personnel, but we are still match-up disadvataged in the BE against those picked to be above us. 

That said, it will be fun to watch.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 11:58:28 AM »
By the way, here is an appropriate blurb from a Katz article on UConn:

Blaney and Sellers said the Huskies have about 20 to 25 plays in the book, but may only run five or six, and sometimes two or three back-to-back possessions or within the same possession. "Everyone knows our plays,'' Sellers said.

"[Calhoun] hands them out at clinics,'' Blaney said.

"[Calhoun] doesn't want robots; he wants basketball players,'' Sellers said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3646310

nola03

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 12:03:10 PM »
While the unlocking of shackle from tens of sets will be nice with talent like the Triumvirate, the fact that after six months everyone associated with the program is cavalier about the offense under Buzz does scare a bit.

Freedom is good; lack of structure is not. Just ask the fans of Syracuse the last two seasons.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 12:35:48 PM »
Why do people expect Buzz or the players to come out and say "we are running X offense?"  Wouldn't it be to MU's benefit not giving other coaches the advantage of knowing what we're doing offensively?  It's just strategy.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 01:44:12 PM »
If there was one thing I learned from Crean you could put together an offensive plan pretty quickly.  I was constantly amazed at how poor MU would look at the beginning of the year (offensively) and TC would still be harping on defense, and then they would come out in the preseason tournaments and play very well.  Even more prepared than other teams.  They'll be just fine.  The article didn't come across all that well, but I'm happy to hear we're not going to be running a million set plays as well.  Keeping it simple works for many teams with many different talent levels...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »
The coaches could not coach the enitre tieam until Friday, why would you expect the players to know the offense. Crean had too many plays to have the team ever be really good at them.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »
Can we please stop taking Jerel's quote out of context?

muball

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 03:48:52 PM »
Players make plays, coaches that put them in the position to take advantage of their skills will be successful. I felt Buzz had more exposure to a motion offense then anything else with whom he worked with. I expect that is what we'll see even though we have a lack of post players. I thought MUs offense under Crean did not take advantage of their atheletic skills. Players looked frustrated at times and on of Wes's comments was he felt left out on occasion. We loved the transition play but few on this board liked the offense.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »
Defense wins games.

Offense pleases the fans.
SS Marquette

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 07:00:03 AM »
I think the interview was on the Sports Bubbler of one of the 3 Amigos they asked him the same question about changes in the offense (I watch all of the video interviews so I do not remember which player).  After a little prodding by  Homer, he pretty much said he did not expect huge changes.  I would not get bent out of shape about the offense before official practices even start.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 08:29:22 AM »
I for one have been stating that with this group of players the last 2-3 years that Crean should have run more of a 4 out motion offense.  it would better fit the persoanle.  Clearly that was not going to happen, and it would appear Buzz will have fewer sets and more motion. 

However...quotes such as the following from Nola ( how surprising) are ignorant.." the fact that after six months everyone associated with the program is cavalier about the offense under Buzz does scare a bit."

As has been posted...the team has not even practiced together yet...but somehow the doomsdayers want the players to be fully versed and fully forthright with exactly what they are going to do offensively? 
Wow!?  that simply demonstartes a complete lack of basketball knowledge by anyone that would post that. 

First of all, we have a new coach and 4 new players, who expects Chris otule to be able to expound on the offense?  Secondly, basketball is a very simple game.  day one, and they may not even work on it on day 1. My teams for example are always working on defense from the get go as offenses are relatively simple to install, be even so on day 1 he should be able to instill his basic offensive schemes and all players will be familiar with them and they will  then build from there.  these guys have all played a ton of basketball for a ton of different coaches that all do to a degree the same stuff.  Again it is a simple game and everyone steals and copies from each other with there own twists and predjudices. 

Perfect example...my son is a 6th grader and has plyed on an AAU team the last few years.  Just switched to a new team.  They have been practicing for the last 5 weeks 2x a week.  they have not 1 single time, not for 1 second discussed offense.  Now granted they will but since September 1, it has not had a minute spent on it.  This is the defending state championship team that has put dozens of players in D1.  they have 3-4 new players this year.  On friday with 2 games scheduled for this weekend they practiced.  With about 15 minutes left in practice they scrimmaged and before that they said,  "guys we are going to run 5 out motion and 3 out motion this weekend, defensively we will play man with some 3-2 trapping zone when we call it"
 Folks that was it they then went out and scrimmaged using those two offenses.  and the offeses ran extremely smoothly including the 4 new players. 

Point being these kids know what they are doing and as the travel season approaches they will build on those offenses and defensesto focus on strenghts and weaknesses.  But these are 12 year olds.  and they can go run offenses and defenses by being told right before a game with a number of new kids.  College kids with such an incredibly more vast knowledge of the game dont need to know exactly what they are going to do and have a 3" play book to study all off season. 

They will more than be versed in the offense come Novemeber and even if they dont based on the majority of comment one can read on this board most of the posters wont know any better.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 08:41:06 AM »

If there was a one line quote about the players knowing everything about the offense, I wouldn't suddenly pick MU for a national title.

Conversely, this is a one line quote saying that they don't know the whole offense. I'm not suddenly going to think MU is going to suck.

Obviously coaching makes a big impact, but I think (and somebody more familiar with the program can correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the summer workouts and training focus on individual skill development and overall team chemistry (just playing together) rather than specific offensive game planning.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »
Do we have Memphis-like talent, Murff? No. On the other hand, we have kids who actually go to class and will graduate. And out coach isn't a slimeball.

feedback