'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Whats Wojo's plan?  (Read 11856 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Whats Wojo's plan?
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 05:27:04 PM »
You make an absolutely unfounded and denigrating remark (that on the surface at least seems racist) about our former players and I'm the sh#thead. Talk about pathetic. Grow up "Groin Pull".

Wojo comes from Duke...one of the premier institutions in this country. A school known for its sterling academics. Doesn't it stand to reason that he would attempt to maintain those same high standards at MU? Especially when the previous coach was rumored to be taking some recent shortcuts.

Hope you can comprehend this...unless you're still busy trying to twist my comments and turn this into a black/white issue.

You're a sad person if you see a comment about lifting academic standards and immediately think...more white guys.

Pathetic.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 05:33:41 PM »
Ugh...not sure why we have to turn this into a racial thing.

Here are some thoughts based on what Duke does:

**Much greater emphasis on spacing, which a premium placed on outside shooting to create such space.
**Bigs that don't post up as much as they run the floor and can step out and shoot mid-range.
**More off the ball movement.
**Less emphasis on the dribble drive, although Duke has relied more on that in the last couple of years.
**A defense that sits back more and isn't as aggressive as we have seen under Buzz.  More of a traditional, help defense.
Pretty good analysis, Sultan. I will admit I have not seen much of Duke the last two years, but "a defense that sits back" does not fit their style from what I have seen over the years. They have been primarily very aggressive.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 05:36:26 PM »
I concur. I don't want "floor slaps" to be associated with Marquette.
Concur. Leave that for Duke. How about this: all 5 of our defenders slap the top of the backboard.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 05:39:06 PM »
I'm figurin' our team will be known for slappin' the monkey.
I have been told by the masters, it is "spanking the monkey"

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 08:20:16 PM »
Mandy Johnson would slap the floor at late moments in big games. He is the earliest one that I can recall doing it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »
Ugh...not sure why we have to turn this into a racial thing.

Here are some thoughts based on what Duke does:

**More of a traditional defense.

Really

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »
Do anyone know exactly how Wojo plans to coach?

Coaching style? Is his offense guard oriented? What does he look for in players/recruits?

Serious responses only!

I'm excited about Wojo and hope he can elevate this program

Are you Mike Hunt?   ;)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 09:16:52 PM »
I'm figurin' our team will be known for slappin' the monkey.

You mean spanking? Slapping is what one does to the Purple Helmeted German Soldier...

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 09:17:19 PM »
Did u have the gheri curl too?

One of my MU roommates from Grand Rapids disliked MI (he was a MiSt fan pre MU days) but was a big fan of Antoine.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 09:19:30 PM »
Is he the originator of that silliness or was that already a Duke thing when he showed up? Either way it is pretty stupid.

I highly doubt, no, Duke did not start that.  Period.  It's like saying Duke invented the high five.

Give me a break.

I've liked everything I've heard from Wojo up until that stupid comment in Mike Hunt's interview today.  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:32:49 PM by real chili 83 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 11:12:26 PM »
Wojo comes from Duke...one of the premier institutions in this country. A school known for its sterling academics. Doesn't it stand to reason that he would attempt to maintain those same high standards at MU? Especially when the previous coach was rumored to be taking some recent shortcuts.

Hope you can comprehend this...unless you're still busy trying to twist my comments and turn this into a black/white issue.

You're a sad person if you see a comment about lifting academic standards and immediately think...more white guys.

Pathetic.

So you think he'll recruit more "traditionals"  who "aren't afraid to open a text book or attend class" in contrast to our current or former players who, in your mind, evidently weren't traditionals and were afraid to open their text books and attend class. But you mean no offense to them. Uh, okay.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 11:36:37 PM »
Is he the originator of that silliness or was that already a Duke thing when he showed up? Either way it is pretty stupid.

I can say with certainty that my middle school team was doing that long before Wojo was at Duke.  I think it is a very old thing.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 11:49:52 PM »

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2014, 11:50:38 PM »
Oh nevermind I see

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »
So you think he'll recruit more "traditionals"  who "aren't afraid to open a text book or attend class" in contrast to our current or former players who, in your mind, evidently weren't traditionals and were afraid to open their text books and attend class. But you mean no offense to them. Uh, okay.

Stop looking for controversy that simply doesn't exist. You might enjoy life more.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2014, 09:48:05 AM »
Stop looking for controversy that simply doesn't exist. You might enjoy life more.

I enjoy life plenty. You took a cheap and unfair shot at our current and ex players. It was obvious to me and others. Instead of attacking me maybe you could try some reflection and an apology - but I won't hold my breath.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2014, 10:35:54 AM »
You mean spanking? Slapping is what one does to the Purple Helmeted German Soldier...

punch the clown
flog the bishop
slap the dolphin
give the one-eyed albino rhino a ride

then there's the variety:

use your off hand
the stranger.
the mechanic at my first job when I was 16 told me that he would turn his hand inward to simulate his wife's mouth cuz she didn't do that any more.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »
I enjoy life plenty. You took a cheap and unfair shot at our current and ex players. It was obvious to me and others. Instead of attacking me maybe you could try some reflection and an apology - but I won't hold my breath.

Reflection? An apology? Wow. How about a dozen Hail Marys too?

This board is exhausting and life is much too short to waste it on you people. I'm done with this nonsense. (Yeah, yeah, I know, I won't be missed)

Oops, I just noticed I said "you people." That must be code for something, right Lenny?

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 11:19:02 AM »
Lennys Tap

You are right.  I mean it DOES seem like Wojo is going after a ton of white guys. Look at the recent scholarship offers...says a lot to me

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
punch the clown
flog the bishop
slap the dolphin
give the one-eyed albino rhino a ride

then there's the variety:

use your off hand
the stranger.
the mechanic at my first job when I was 16 told me that he would turn his hand inward to simulate his wife's mouth cuz she didn't do that any more.

That's IT! I have had enough of your vulgarity!

IGNORE!

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2014, 11:33:36 AM »
Lennys Tap

You are right.  I mean it DOES seem like Wojo is going after a ton of white guys. Look at the recent scholarship offers...says a lot to me

What exactly does it say to you?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »

Pathetic.

You mean that same team that had Otule and Lockett playing while going to grad school? Ok...Currently being on campus they all go to class. I obviously dont know their study habits but they must be doing enough to pass classes. Plus you inferred this meant more white guys, dont pretend and back down like you didnt.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »
Pretty good analysis, Sultan. I will admit I have not seen much of Duke the last two years, but "a defense that sits back" does not fit their style from what I have seen over the years. They have been primarily very aggressive.

Yeah, I think you are correct about that.  Wojo mentioned in his interview with Hunt yesterday that he prefers a pressure type of defense.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »
I'm appalled. 

feedback