[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A whole week off  (Read 11894 times)

tower912

• All American
A whole week off
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:20:05 PM »
If ever there was a time to change the starting line-up, this is it.  IMO, the starters should be Otule, Jamil, Todd (or Deonte) Jake, and Derrick. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mhendrick

• Starter
Re: A whole week off
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 05:31:56 PM »
Todd- 1
Jake- 2
Juan- 3
Jamil- 4
Gardner- 5

Chris and Derrick defensive subs
jjj and Burton offensive subs

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 06:20:42 PM »
1-Mayo
2-Jake
3-Jamil
4-Gardner
5-O'tule

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 06:23:41 PM »
I think I have made it known that I am not a Derrick fan at all.

But Mayo is not ever going to start at PG if he even plays it at all.

So, stop that idea.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 06:29:02 PM »
I think I have made it known that I am not a Derrick fan at all.

So, stop that idea.

Yes, sir!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
can't keep playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end.
Do not like Chris and Gardner together because I hate seeing Gardner at the top of the key.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 06:37:42 PM »
can't keep playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end.
Do not like Chris and Gardner together because I hate seeing Gardner at the top of the key.

Buzz talked about that in the post game pressed with Mac and Homer ... Said teams will double Ox in the paint and he will never see an entry pass (except for DePaul and we saw what happened).  So Buzz is moving him around to where he can get the ball.

connie

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »
Agree that we will see some additional changes, as (contrary to past years when he has shortened the bench in conference play) Buzz is still looking for answers, BUT, anyone that thinks we are not going to see a significant amount of Derrick Wilson is kidding themselves.  Buzz went out of his way to praise his defense today.  He called him a "game changer" and maybe the best defender he has "ever coached."  While most on the board think that his game changing abilities only apply when we are on offense, Buzz loves what Derrick brings to the defense.  You don't have to like it, and I hate the 4 on 5 as much as anyone, but I just don't see this changing much this year.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »
Saw more guys making entry passes to Oxtule from the wing.   Jake, Todd, Jamil.....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 06:48:29 PM »
Agree that we will see some additional changes, as (contrary to past years when he has shortened the bench in conference play) Buzz is still looking for answers, BUT, anyone that thinks we are not going to see a significant amount of Derrick Wilson is kidding themselves.  Buzz went out of his way to praise his defense today.  He called him a "game changer" and maybe the best defender he has "ever coached."  While most on the board think that his game changing abilities only apply when we are on offense, Buzz loves what Derrick brings to the defense.  You don't have to like it, and I hate the 4 on 5 as much as anyone, but I just don't see this changing much this year.
That is pure unadulterated BS and Buzz BS. De. Wilson is a "game changer"? BS_BS_BS. Best defender he has ever coached? Hey Sports Fans: Slurp some of that. This from Mr. Honesty!!!

It won't change next year either. I guess this is what can be expected from Mr. BS. And I guess everybody's lying eyes don't matter.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 06:49:02 PM »
1. DAWSON
2. MAYO
3. BURTON
4. JAMIL
5. OTULE

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »
I'm still feeling 13-5 in conference. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »

No way. We can barely keep our head above water at home against weak teams. Not going to happen.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 08:22:05 PM »

So, stop that idea.

I agree Buzz will probably never start Mayo at point, but he does solve issues we have.  He can shoot from the outside.  This will free up our front line and not allow teams to double team O'tule and Gardner.  He can drive, score, and draw fouls. 

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 08:27:57 PM »
Wish I could agree but I dont see this team getting any better. They are just too inconsistent and easy to slow down on offense (deny the post, pack the middle)... If we finish top half of the league that would be impressive to me given our performances so far.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »
That is pure unadulterated BS and Buzz BS. De. Wilson is a "game changer"? BS_BS_BS. Best defender he has ever coached? Hey Sports Fans: Slurp some of that. This from Mr. Honesty!!!

It won't change next year either. I guess this is what can be expected from Mr. BS. And I guess everybody's lying eyes don't matter.

I'm really having trouble believing you are as old as you claim to be....
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Superfan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »
I like Dreadman's lineup:  Todd, Dawson, Burton, Ox, Jamil.  Why is J3 getting no PT and I don't get the disappearance of Taylor.  If he's hurt why isn't he redshirted?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 09:16:02 PM »
Can Buzz put in some rule (like paint touches) whereby Derrick is never on the same side of the court as Davante? Like, if he finds himself there, immediately evacuate the area!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 09:37:40 PM »
I'd be curious to see what this lineup could do:

1-Mayo (15 mins) Derrick (15 mins) Dawson (10 mins)
2-Thomas (15 mins) Mayo (15 mins) JJJ (5 mins) Dawson (5 mins)
3-Burton (20 mins) Thomas (10 mins) JJJ (10 mins)
4-Jamil (30 mins) Anderson (10 mins)
5-Gardner (25 mins) Otule (15 mins)

I've never seen Mayo at the 1, so I don't think we will see it. But his handle looked good today. I'd be curious to see what he could do.

What I actually think:

1- Derrick (25 mins) Dawson (15 mins)
2- Mayo (30 mins) JJJ (10 mins)
3- Thomas (25 mins) Burton (15 mins)
4- Jamil (30 mins) Anderson (10 mins)
5- Gardner (25 mins) Otule (15 mins)

It will obviously depend on the game and the situation. But I think this is our best shot to win. If Mayo can actually run the point, things might change.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 09:38:24 PM »
Deonte should start and play until there's a "5" next to his name.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »
Deonte should start and play until there's a "5" next to his name.

If the "5" is times he passes the ball, that should come around March...2016.   :D

I agree Buzz will probably never start Mayo at point, but he does solve issues we have.  He can shoot from the outside.  This will free up our front line and not allow teams to double team O'tule and Gardner.  He can drive, score, and draw fouls. 

It's something that really intrigues me.  Think he really opens up the floor, strong at finding teammates, puts a shooting threat out there, and seems to have good playing chemistry beyond just opening it up for Jake.  He's bringing a lot of positives lately (six games in a row with 20+ minutes), and I'm not sure they want to take him out of that to change his position, has been some turnover proneness in the past, and need consistency - can't have a carousel at the point of all places.  Nevertheless, it's intriguing...maybe even a motivator - Buycks had to make the switch, DJO is making the switch because that's what landed them at the next level, and wherever it ends up being I'm sure Todd's value professionally would also be highest there.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 10:17:30 PM »
I'd be curious to see what this lineup could do:

1-Mayo (15 mins) Derrick (15 mins) Dawson (10 mins)
2-Thomas (15 mins) Mayo (15 mins) JJJ (5 mins) Dawson (5 mins)
3-Burton (20 mins) Thomas (10 mins) JJJ (10 mins)
4-Jamil (30 mins) Anderson (10 mins)
5-Gardner (25 mins) Otule (15 mins)

I've never seen Mayo at the 1, so I don't think we will see it. But his handle looked good today. I'd be curious to see what he could do.

What I actually think:

1- Derrick (25 mins) Dawson (15 mins)
2- Mayo (30 mins) JJJ (10 mins)
3- Thomas (25 mins) Burton (15 mins)
4- Jamil (30 mins) Anderson (10 mins)
5- Gardner (25 mins) Otule (15 mins)

It will obviously depend on the game and the situation. But I think this is our best shot to win. If Mayo can actually run the point, things might change.

That 1st option would be very interesting. The second one is realistic and I like it. Except maybe more than 15 for deonte and less than 10 for Juan unless the game calls for it.

Juan really adds nothing right now.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 10:54:23 PM »
I agree a lineup with Mayo, Jamil, Jake, Gardner/Otule, Juan/Burton would be intriguing.

I don't think it's necessarily committing to Mayo at PG because Jamil would have the ball up top plenty, too, as we have seen. It isn't necessary to have labels.

Who was the Bulls' PG during the second threepeat? Ron Harper? No, it was Pippen. Except when Jordan had the ball.

Ouch. I think I just sprained something listing the 96-97-98 Bulls in the same post as this year's Warriors ... but the point is that we don't have to designate so-and-so to be this or that position, especially at the fairly interchangeable 1-2-3 slots.

I also agree that this lineup will not happen except for brief stretches because Buzz simply is not going to bench Derrick this season. Maybe next year, if Duane is "all that" and if Dawson takes a quantum leap and if the new recruits play lights-out, Derrick's time will be reduced fairly significantly. We won't know till we get there, but it sure appears Buzz will have to be strongly convinced Derrick isn't his guy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 04:42:06 AM »
I like Dreadman's lineup:  Todd, Dawson, Burton, Ox, Jamil.  Why is J3 getting no PT and I don't get the disappearance of Taylor.  If he's hurt why isn't he redshirted?

JJJ hurts his argument for playing time when he comes in cold off of the bench and jacks up an ugly 3 early in the shot clock on a one pass possession.   

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 07:36:11 AM »
JJJ hurts his argument for playing time when he comes in cold off of the bench and jacks up an ugly 3 early in the shot clock on a one pass possession.   

Agree.  I wonder how much of that is "I'm only in for a few minutes, I better make them count" thinking.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 07:39:44 AM »
I'm really having trouble believing you are as old as you claim to be....
And I am having trouble that you believe the HC's BS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 07:44:20 AM »
I am not sure why people think JJJ should play more.  Of all the freshmen, he clearly is the one that looks like he is over his head at this point.  If you look at his game log, he hasn't done anything against the best competition.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 08:22:31 AM »
Dawson
Thomas
Mayo
Jamil
Oxtule

This is our best lineup. If you want to argue for Derrick, fine. But Dawson has earned a fair split.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 08:31:22 AM »

It's funny - I saw several instances yesterday where Derrick's man blew by him and got into the lane.  I am totally blown away by Buzz's continued allegiance to Derrick.  We won by 1 freaking point at home over a depleted Seton Hall team.  1-7 against Top 75 teams.  Team played much better against X with Dawson in lineup.  1 point deficit with 5 minutes left against X, brings Derrick back in and we go down 8 in just 2:45 seconds against X.

Minute distribution needs to be:

Dawson 25, Derrick 15
Mayo 32  JJJ 8
Jake 15-20, Burton 20-25
Jamil 30, Juan 10
Gardner 30
Otule 10

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Buzz talked about that in the post game pressed with Mac and Homer ... Said teams will double Ox in the paint and he will never see an entry pass (except for DePaul and we saw what happened).  So Buzz is moving him around to where he can get the ball.

Ox sure as hell isn't going to get many entry passes when Derrick is running the point and teams lay off Derrick 5' and pack the paint.

Buzz's insistence on Derrick getting max minutes just blows my mind.  Gardner getting doubled and being as good of passer as he is could have real benefit to the team - if they surrounded Gardner consistently with Todd, Jake, and Dawson - all of whom have good shooting strokes.  You can't help off of Jake, don't think many teams would double DG using Mayo's defender, likely would try to use Dawson's defender - but Dawson has shown he's capable and willing to take and make 3's.

Derrick has made 2, 3 point field goals in his entire MU career.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 08:44:40 AM »
i'd like to see buzz bring gardner out to free throw line a little more, draws there big out a little, if not, he hits 8 0f 10 from there.  move him up and down.  he also can dish to mayo or thomas off a pick for the trey.  lots of options from that spot
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 09:01:13 AM »
Ox sure as hell isn't going to get many entry passes when Derrick is running the point and teams lay off Derrick 5' and pack the paint.

Buzz's insistence on Derrick getting max minutes just blows my mind.  Gardner getting doubled and being as good of passer as he is could have real benefit to the team - if they surrounded Gardner consistently with Todd, Jake, and Dawson - all of whom have good shooting strokes.  You can't help off of Jake, don't think many teams would double DG using Mayo's defender, likely would try to use Dawson's defender - but Dawson has shown he's capable and willing to take and make 3's.

Derrick has made 2, 3 point field goals in his entire MU career.

Derrick has a higher EFG%...higher OR...better defender.  Sure Dawson is shooting about 20% from 3...versus 11% from Derrick.  Neither is much of a threat at this point.

Not sure why it "blows your mind."  You (and others) continue to use nothing but confirmation bias to determine your point of view.

Dawson should get back up minutes at point.  Get Jamil off of there.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 09:06:40 AM »
13-5??? Give me a hit of that stuff. Can't see it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »

Derrick has a higher EFG%...higher OR...better defender.  Sure Dawson is shooting about 20% from 3...versus 11% from Derrick.  Neither is much of a threat at this point.

Not sure why it "blows your mind."  You (and others) continue to use nothing but confirmation bias to determine your point of view.

Dawson should get back up minutes at point.  Get Jamil off of there.

I simply don't put a lot of merit into Dawson's EFG and OR at this point, given such limited stints of playing time.  I would bet my left and right nut, that if Dawson got 30 minutes per game, his EFG and OR would greatly exceed Derrick's through 16 games.  But, fair enough on your point - I just want to see more Dawson to get a better pulse on how he and the team would perform with him getting 20 minutes....I am convinced it wouldn't make the team worse than its been thus far.

What blows my mind is that Buzz continues to think the team's struggles are somehow going to evaporate or go away, if he keeps playing Derrick 30+ minutes.  I mean a 1-point win at home against Seton Hall, and major struggles against DePaul at home with as much talent as this team has on the roster??

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
It's funny - I saw several instances yesterday where Derrick's man blew by him and got into the lane.

As I was reading Buzz's quotes lavishing praise on Derrick, I thought this exact same thing. Derrick is a good defensive player, nothing more. Look at the point totals of every good PG we've played against this season. Now, I know Derrick wasn't defending each of them every minute both players were on the floor, but he was defending them enough to lose the "lock-down defender" label.

We lose the PG battle almost every game, and lose it significantly against the good teams with the good PGs. It's not easy to win when you're staring a 17-2 or 24-4 or 28-6 deficit at PG before the opening tip!

Furthermore, like 1B in baseball, PG should be an offense-first position. Any time the 1B scoops a bad throw from the SS, it's a bonus; I'll take a 1B who can make the routine plays and hits 40 HR and knocks in 120 over a defensive 1B who saves a few runs but goes 10-70. And so would every manager in the majors.

And I'll take a PG who goes for 16-6 and is an average defender over a defense-first PG who is such a liability on offense that even his coach admits the team is playing 4-on-5 and is such a bad FT shooter that he has to be benched in the final minute of a close game.

I'm not even criticizing Buzz for playing Derrick more than Dawson. I'm just tired of hearing about Derrick's world-class defense as justification for him getting 30+ minutes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »
As I was reading Buzz's quotes lavishing praise on Derrick, I thought this exact same thing. Derrick is a good defensive player, nothing more. Look at the point totals of every good PG we've played against this season. Now, I know Derrick wasn't defending each of them every minute both players were on the floor, but he was defending them enough to lose the "lock-down defender" label.

We lose the PG battle almost every game, and lose it significantly against the good teams with the good PGs. It's not easy to win when you're staring a 17-2 or 24-4 or 28-6 deficit at PG before the opening tip!

Furthermore, like 1B in baseball, PG should be an offense-first position. Any time the 1B scoops a bad throw from the SS, it's a bonus; I'll take a 1B who can make the routine plays and hits 40 HR and knocks in 120 over a defensive 1B who saves a few runs but goes 10-70. And so would every manager in the majors.

And I'll take a PG who goes for 16-6 and is an average defender over a defense-first PG who is such a liability on offense that even his coach admits the team is playing 4-on-5 and is such a bad FT shooter that he has to be benched in the final minute of a close game.

I'm not even criticizing Buzz for playing Derrick more than Dawson. I'm just tired of hearing about Derrick's world-class defense as justification for him getting 30+ minutes.

Well said.  And, hearing in the last week Buzz comparing Derrick to Aaron Craft at OSU - just further evidence he is totally overreaching trying to support Derrick.  Aaron Craft will get All American votes, and will be All Conference in the Big 10 at minimum.  If Derrick sniffs an All Conference vote from an opposing coach/journalist - I'll quit Scoop forever.  Then again, they may give him votes in the hopes Buzz continues to roll him out there, as that makes coaching against MU so much easier!

connie

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »
Well said.  And, hearing in the last week Buzz comparing Derrick to Aaron Craft at OSU - just further evidence he is totally overreaching trying to support Derrick.  Aaron Craft will get All American votes, and will be All Conference in the Big 10 at minimum.  If Derrick sniffs an All Conference vote from an opposing coach/journalist - I'll quit Scoop forever.  Then again, they may give him votes in the hopes Buzz continues to roll him out there, as that makes coaching against MU so much easier!
  ;) Nice, but potentially true.  I didn't understand the DW love last year, and while I can understand the necessity argument this year, I don't get the deep devotion.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 09:35:45 AM »
I really don't like the "Jumbo" package to start the game.  We've had two home games in a row with this package and its resulted in turn overs in the first couple possession.  SH would have started with a bigger lead yesterday if they hadn't been shooting so poorly.  I can't help but believe that Buzz in his obsessing over possessions doesn't want to give up the center tip.  Well guess what, if you get the tip but then come down and turn the ball over you've lost the advantage.
I would start Ox, J Wilson, Mayo, Jake and Derrick.  Let J Wilson do the tip if you have to.  I believe that Ox and Mayo both benefit physiologically from the hype of the starting intro.  That is a lineup that should stretch the floor with 2 3 point threats, a low post scorer and a wild card in Jamil.
I like what's been suggested about using Mayo at the point but I think PG is such a "mind meld" position for Buzz that he will never put Mayo ( a guy he just can't completely connect with) at that position.  

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »
It's funny - I saw several instances yesterday where Derrick's man blew by him and got into the lane.  
Ners, in your estimation, who is the best one on one perimeter defender to ever play the game?  I'm just curious, because I would like to know how many times the guy they were defending got by them?  Hundreds, if not thousands.  Who was the greatest shot blocker to ever play the game?  You mean to tell me that he didn't block every shot ever attempted against him and that some of those shots actually went in?  The horror.

It happens.  There is another player out there that is trying really hard and is probably pretty talented too.  They make plays.  Sometimes they win the battle, sometimes you win the battle.

Your obsession with blaming Derrick for everything that is wrong with this team is maddening.  However, I am done with the argument as it is clear there is no convincing you otherwise. 

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 01:52:49 PM »
I am not sure why people think JJJ should play more.  Of all the freshmen, he clearly is the one that looks like he is over his head at this point.  If you look at his game log, he hasn't done anything against the best competition.
Watch carefully when he is in the game, he has a very quick first step , looks to drive and create for others. He has made beuatiful passes to Dawson in the last two games. Also, as Todd Mayo says JJJ is a pure scorer. Buzz needs to leave him in the game for a while. Yesterday he took a bone headed three pointer and got yanked, I guess that is one way to coach but I think it puts unnecessary pressure on a player. On defense he is looking to make the breakaway steal,which is something we are sorely missing. Plus the kid has spirit and joy when he plays which is something that can be contagious.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 02:33:17 PM »
  ;) Nice, but potentially true.  I didn't understand the DW love last year, and while I can understand the necessity argument this year, I don't get the deep devotion.
Buzz is not overreaching--he is spreading manure, which he considers himself an expert at. Comparing him to Craft? Calling him a game changer?

Hey, come to think of it, Derrick is a game changer--at the FT line. Buzz must be on to something there.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 02:35:24 PM »
I really don't like the "Jumbo" package to start the game.  We've had two home games in a row with this package and its resulted in turn overs in the first couple possession.  SH would have started with a bigger lead yesterday if they hadn't been shooting so poorly.  I can't help but believe that Buzz in his obsessing over possessions doesn't want to give up the center tip.  Well guess what, if you get the tip but then come down and turn the ball over you've lost the advantage.
I would start Ox, J Wilson, Mayo, Jake and Derrick.  Let J Wilson do the tip if you have to.  I believe that Ox and Mayo both benefit physiologically from the hype of the starting intro.  That is a lineup that should stretch the floor with 2 3 point threats, a low post scorer and a wild card in Jamil.
I like what's been suggested about using Mayo at the point but I think PG is such a "mind meld" position for Buzz that he will never put Mayo ( a guy he just can't completely connect with) at that position.  
But wait..Otule starts to win the tip. What are the stats on that this year? Since we are 10-7, doubt that it matters.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
Watch carefully when he is in the game, he has a very quick first step , looks to drive and create for others. He has made beuatiful passes to Dawson in the last two games. Also, as Todd Mayo says JJJ is a pure scorer. Buzz needs to leave him in the game for a while. Yesterday he took a bone headed three pointer and got yanked, I guess that is one way to coach but I think it puts unnecessary pressure on a player. On defense he is looking to make the breakaway steal,which is something we are sorely missing. Plus the kid has spirit and joy when he plays which is something that can be contagious.

He has had plenty of time to show what he can do.  He has flashes no doubt, but he simply disappears for the most part.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »
I simply don't put a lot of merit into Dawson's EFG and OR at this point,

Of course you don't.  It doesn't support your POV.

Look, at best Derrick is a fair PG.  Buzz's comments IMO are clearly of the "coach him up" variety.  But the idea that he cannot improve, or what you have seen is all you are going to get, is wrong.  Junior improved quite a bit from this point in his junior year to the end of last year.

He is the best PG on the roster now.  That is all I have been saying.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2014, 06:28:31 PM »

He has had plenty of time to show what he can do.  He has flashes no doubt, but he simply disappears for the most part.

Doesn't matter what any of us think, or even the coaching staff or fellow players think, about JJJ. We've already been informed by an insider that he's transferring after this season, remember?

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2014, 06:38:33 PM »

Derrick is shooting 48.8 percent from the free throw line. It is simply impossible to win the close games with a point guard who shoots this poorly. For all of his faults Junior shot 71.9 from the line last year.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »
Derrick is shooting 48.8 percent from the free throw line. It is simply impossible to win the close games with a point guard who shoots this poorly. For all of his faults Junior shot 71.9 from the line last year.

It is more difficult, not "simply impossible". We won close games with Tony Miller (he made less than 1 more FT in 10 than Derrick) and DJ (he was actually worse than Derrick -46%- in 2008-09) at PG. That said, a PG who makes 90% is really valuable down the stretch and one who shoots 50% is a liability. When it comes to "automatic fouling" time, Derrick has to be on the bench.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2014, 08:01:05 PM »
It is more difficult, not "simply impossible". We won close games with Tony Miller (he made less than 1 more FT in 10 than Derrick) and DJ (he was actually worse than Derrick -46%- in 2008-09) at PG. That said, a PG who makes 90% is really valuable down the stretch and one who shoots 50% is a liability. When it comes to "automatic fouling" time, Derrick has to be on the bench.

DJ had a terrible start to his senior year, but he was clutch by the end. Just a very odd slump for a player who was otherwise a decent FT shooter and very clutch in his career.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2014, 08:40:11 PM »

Yes, but Tony Miller could absolutely SLAY defenses both in press situations and the half court.  Made all the guys around him better.  Tony's performance against Kentucky in 1994 remains a highlight of all time for me in my MU fan days.

Go back and watch Tony play, and contrast to Derrick - totally different levels of skill, confidence and ability.  Of course I know you weren't trying to make the point Derrick is anywhere near as good as Tony Miller - yet to just point out a slight disparity in their FT shooting percentage, doesn't tell near the full story of the disparity in their basketball ability.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
I didn't realize we disdained DW this much!

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/derrick_wilson
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »
Yes, but Tony Miller could absolutely SLAY defenses both in press situations and the half court.  Made all the guys around him better.  Tony's performance against Kentucky in 1994 remains a highlight of all time for me in my MU fan days.

Go back and watch Tony play, and contrast to Derrick - totally different levels of skill, confidence and ability.  Of course I know you weren't trying to make the point Derrick is anywhere near as good as Tony Miller - yet to just point out a slight disparity in their FT shooting percentage, doesn't tell near the full story of the disparity in their basketball ability.

God, Ners, are you intentionally missing the point just to slam Derrick for the 734th time? We were not talking about "breaking a press" or "making guys around him better". We're talking about intentional fouling time, when good free throw shooters are an asset and bad ones are a liability. Diener was good. Tony and DJ weren't. Neither is Derrick. End of discussion. Give it a rest. PLEASE.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »

I do find it ironic that you can draw this conclusion on JJJ, yet can't say the same for Derrick - as I feel your above sentiments about JJJ are spot on regarding my view on Derrick.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 08:25:25 AM »
I do find it ironic that you can draw this conclusion on JJJ, yet can't say the same for Derrick - as I feel your above sentiments about JJJ are spot on regarding my view on Derrick.

If you can't see that Derrick brings way more to the basketball floor than JJJ does right now, I have no idea what to tell you.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58:48 AM »

If you can't see that Derrick brings way more to the basketball floor than JJJ does right now, I have no idea what to tell you.

Tend to agree. JJJ gets in the game and gets a quick foul or two and Buzz gives him the hook. JJJ has plenty of potential, but he needs to learn to defend without fouling.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:27 AM »

The comparison was more to the point that you feel you've seen plenty of JJJ to determine he isn't worthy of more minutes (small sample size), yet, you seem to have arrived at the conclusion (large sample size) that Derrick deserves all the minutes he gets, though he tends to disappear for long stretches in a game.

Having said that, I know you did post after X that you feel Dawson is worthy of some more minutes...which in effect would reduce Derrick's.  I also feel you made a good point suggesting that Derrick may not have maxed out his potential, as Junior Cadougan did improve a great deal between Junior and Senior year.  I can agree that Derrick might be able to squeeze a little more out of himself in the way of production, yet just contend that what that ceiling is, is still quite low for what you need in a 30+ minute per game PG at this level. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
The comparison was more to the point that you feel you've seen plenty of JJJ to determine he isn't worthy of more minutes (small sample size), yet, you seem to have arrived at the conclusion (large sample size) that Derrick deserves all the minutes he gets, though he tends to disappear for long stretches in a game.

Simple.  There are more and better alternatives for JJJ than there are for Derrick.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »

Simple.  There are more and better alternatives for JJJ than there are for Derrick.

Truth. But Derrick shouldn't be getting 30+ minutes at this point, period.

feedback