Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A whole week off  (Read 11963 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: A whole week off
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »
Yes, but Tony Miller could absolutely SLAY defenses both in press situations and the half court.  Made all the guys around him better.  Tony's performance against Kentucky in 1994 remains a highlight of all time for me in my MU fan days.

Go back and watch Tony play, and contrast to Derrick - totally different levels of skill, confidence and ability.  Of course I know you weren't trying to make the point Derrick is anywhere near as good as Tony Miller - yet to just point out a slight disparity in their FT shooting percentage, doesn't tell near the full story of the disparity in their basketball ability.

God, Ners, are you intentionally missing the point just to slam Derrick for the 734th time? We were not talking about "breaking a press" or "making guys around him better". We're talking about intentional fouling time, when good free throw shooters are an asset and bad ones are a liability. Diener was good. Tony and DJ weren't. Neither is Derrick. End of discussion. Give it a rest. PLEASE.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »

He has had plenty of time to show what he can do.  He has flashes no doubt, but he simply disappears for the most part.

I do find it ironic that you can draw this conclusion on JJJ, yet can't say the same for Derrick - as I feel your above sentiments about JJJ are spot on regarding my view on Derrick.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 08:25:25 AM »
I do find it ironic that you can draw this conclusion on JJJ, yet can't say the same for Derrick - as I feel your above sentiments about JJJ are spot on regarding my view on Derrick.

If you can't see that Derrick brings way more to the basketball floor than JJJ does right now, I have no idea what to tell you.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58:48 AM »

If you can't see that Derrick brings way more to the basketball floor than JJJ does right now, I have no idea what to tell you.

Tend to agree. JJJ gets in the game and gets a quick foul or two and Buzz gives him the hook. JJJ has plenty of potential, but he needs to learn to defend without fouling.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:27 AM »

The comparison was more to the point that you feel you've seen plenty of JJJ to determine he isn't worthy of more minutes (small sample size), yet, you seem to have arrived at the conclusion (large sample size) that Derrick deserves all the minutes he gets, though he tends to disappear for long stretches in a game.

Having said that, I know you did post after X that you feel Dawson is worthy of some more minutes...which in effect would reduce Derrick's.  I also feel you made a good point suggesting that Derrick may not have maxed out his potential, as Junior Cadougan did improve a great deal between Junior and Senior year.  I can agree that Derrick might be able to squeeze a little more out of himself in the way of production, yet just contend that what that ceiling is, is still quite low for what you need in a 30+ minute per game PG at this level. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
The comparison was more to the point that you feel you've seen plenty of JJJ to determine he isn't worthy of more minutes (small sample size), yet, you seem to have arrived at the conclusion (large sample size) that Derrick deserves all the minutes he gets, though he tends to disappear for long stretches in a game.

Simple.  There are more and better alternatives for JJJ than there are for Derrick.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »

Simple.  There are more and better alternatives for JJJ than there are for Derrick.

Truth. But Derrick shouldn't be getting 30+ minutes at this point, period.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

feedback