collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188280 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #1500 on: June 21, 2021, 01:22:06 PM »
What's shown on TV isn't the whole Deer District. Think of that area as the front yard. From there you can access a corridor that is surrounded by a dozen bars on each side. These aren't the bars on 3rd st, they're newly constructed since the Fiserv opened. I've never been during a game but my understanding is that you can move freely (as freely as you can when its packed) from the area that's shown on TV to the rest of the Deer District for all your refreshment needs. I don't believe there are any beer/food stands in the area you are talking about

Technically there aren't a dozen on each side.

The structure across the plaza from the Forum to the NE houses Good City & MECCA restaurants plus a walk in bar (I don't think you can even drink in there) and a chicken tender stand (Cream City Cluckery).

The structure to the SE houses Drink Wisconsinably plus a vacant storefront that used to be Punchbowl Social. 

There are a few pop up tents selling beers.  There's a food truck on the far south side that may have food but may also just be drinks. 

I was there Tuesday for Game 5, we watched the 1st Q outside, went to Buck Bradleys for 2nd Q & Halftime and then went back to our spot for the 2nd half. 

The Bucks have certainly created non home game revenue for themselves but they have also created a way for 3rd Street bars to profit as well.  It's really, really cool.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1501 on: June 21, 2021, 10:27:08 PM »
You know, Simmons kind of gave us a sneak preview of this in 2015 when he passed up an opportunity to try to beat Hank’s MU team in Brooklyn.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1502 on: June 22, 2021, 12:12:44 PM »
Bucks will be taking on John Collins, who went to the post-G7 press conference wearing a t-shirt with an image of him posterizing Embiid. Gotta love it!

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/06/21/john-collins-shirt-dunking-on-joel-embiid

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1503 on: June 22, 2021, 07:53:13 PM »
Cunningham is the lock #1?  Would you project him to be as good as Doncic?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1504 on: June 22, 2021, 07:54:30 PM »

We'll see!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1505 on: June 22, 2021, 07:58:45 PM »
I'm a big Hakeem fan.  I think he'd be absolutely fabulous in this era.  I don't think he had any holes in his game.  Tremendous overall athlete and player.  And no, today's centers couldn't guard him. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1506 on: June 22, 2021, 08:05:55 PM »
I'm a big Hakeem fan.  I think he'd be absolutely fabulous in this era.  I don't think he had any holes in his game.  Tremendous overall athlete and player.  And no, today's centers couldn't guard him.

Word.

And I just learned tonight that Ben Wallace is going to the Hall of Fame. I probably saw something when it was announced but it didn't really register.

He was a defensive beast and great rebounder during the prime of his career with the Pistons, I know, but he mailed it in his second season in Chicago and then had little impact as he hung around collecting paychecks for the next 4 years.

The guy averaged 5.7 points over his career And, in the end, he averaged only 9.6 rebounds and 2 blocks. Hard for me to see his body of work as Hall material, but whatevs.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1507 on: June 22, 2021, 08:17:07 PM »
Word.

And I just learned tonight that Ben Wallace is going to the Hall of Fame. I probably saw something when it was announced but it didn't really register.

He was a defensive beast and great rebounder during the prime of his career with the Pistons, I know, but he mailed it in his second season in Chicago and then had little impact as he hung around collecting paychecks for the next 4 years.

The guy averaged 5.7 points over his career And, in the end, he averaged only 9.6 rebounds and 2 blocks. Hard for me to see his body of work as Hall material, but whatevs.

I'm just thinking out loud here but I think he would absolutely annihilate Embiid and Jokic.  He could also probably guard at least 4 positions.  In fact, if he tweaked his game for this era, I'm not sure there is a single thing he wouldn't do better than both of these players.  Maybe Jokic is s better passer but that's about it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1508 on: June 22, 2021, 08:32:48 PM »

Project him to be as good as Doncic?? Uhh no that would be a bold projection.

Is the potential there for him to be around Doncic ability?? Yeah. But currently Luka has set a really, really high bar and hes only gonna get better.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1509 on: June 22, 2021, 08:32:58 PM »
I'm just thinking out loud here but I think he would absolutely annihilate Embiid and Jokic.  He could also probably guard at least 4 positions.  In fact, if he tweaked his game for this era, I'm not sure there is a single thing he wouldn't do better than both of these players.  Maybe Jokic is s better passer but that's about it.

Hakeem couldn’t guard four positions today. Great footwork in the post and great timing on his jumps, but not overly quick for today’s era. Don’t get me wrong - his game would fit fine. But he’s not “annihilating” Embiid.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1510 on: June 22, 2021, 08:58:57 PM »
Hakeem couldn’t guard four positions today. Great footwork in the post and great timing on his jumps, but not overly quick for today’s era. Don’t get me wrong - his game would fit fine. But he’s not “annihilating” Embiid.

He would have adjusted his game. You're underrating his athletic ability, it was tier one.  I also think Embiid can be a headcase.  He had a number of meltdowns last series notwithstanding Simmons being a disaster.  Are you saying Embiid is as good as Hakeem?  I vehemently disagree if that's your take

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1511 on: June 22, 2021, 09:03:00 PM »
Hakeem would be great in any era

If you put him in a time machine and dropped him in this era,  he wouldn't be as dominant as he was in his era.

If he was raised in this era,  who knows? I would think it would be likely that he would be as dominant as he was in his original era.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1512 on: June 22, 2021, 09:12:01 PM »
He would have adjusted his game. You're underrating his athletic ability, it was tier one.  I also think Embiid can be a headcase.  He had a number of meltdowns last series notwithstanding Simmons being a disaster.  Are you saying Embiid is as good as Hakeem?  I vehemently disagree if that's your take

There’s a wide gap between “just as good” and “annihilating someone.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1513 on: June 22, 2021, 09:16:21 PM »
Hakeem would be great in any era

If you put him in a time machine and dropped him in this era,  he wouldn't be as dominant as he was in his era.

If he was raised in this era,  who knows? I would think it would be likely that he would be as dominant as he was in his original era.

Your 2nd point it exactly what I was trying to articulate.  If he was raised in this era my belief is he would be by far the best big in the game.  Why?  Because in his era he had no weaknesses.  We're talking about a premier athlete here. If I'm not mistaken he didn't even pick up a basketball until he was 14?  He probably would have been on Nigeria's national soccer team as well?  I'm going to take Hakeem 100/100 times over Embiid or Jokic.  He's also extremely likable.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1514 on: June 22, 2021, 09:17:30 PM »
There’s a wide gap between “just as good” and “annihilating someone.”

Touche....but he annihilated great bigs in his era.  I just like the guy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1515 on: June 22, 2021, 09:53:57 PM »

For a second, I thought you were talking about Ben Wallace here … and I thought you were out of your mind … but then I realized you were talking’ about Olajuwon.

I was a huge Hakeem fan, so you’re preaching to the choir. Hakeem would be the best player in the league right now, though I like TAMU’s take, too.

I’ll bet he even would have made himself into a darn good 3-point shooter if he played today.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1516 on: June 22, 2021, 10:01:57 PM »
For a second, I thought you were talking about Ben Wallace here … and I thought you were out of your mind … but then I realized you were talking’ about Olajuwon.

I was a huge Hakeem fan, so you’re preaching to the choir. Hakeem would be the best player in the league right now, though I like TAMU’s take, too.

I’ll bet he even would have made himself into a darn good 3-point shooter if he played today.

I agree completely.  There's no question he could have tweaked his game and been very solid from the 3pt line.  Jokic was the MVP. ...it's unreasonable to believe Olajuwon would not have been at a far higher level imo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1517 on: June 22, 2021, 10:10:12 PM »
I agree completely.  There's no question he could have tweaked his game and been very solid from the 3pt line.  Jokic was the MVP. ...it's unreasonable to believe Olajuwon would not have been at a far higher level imo.

I think one could make a pretty solid argument that Hakeem would have been the perfect 5 for today’s NBA, a cross between Embiid and Gobert.

There are probably a few Scoopers who think Cade Cunningham and Jalen Suggs woulda been drafted ahead of him, though - ha!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1518 on: June 22, 2021, 10:34:28 PM »
I think one could make a pretty solid argument that Hakeem would have been the perfect 5 for today’s NBA, a cross between Embiid and Gobert.

There are probably a few Scoopers who think Cade Cunningham and Jalen Suggs woulda been drafted ahead of him, though - ha!

True dat.  He really had no weaknesses in his game for his era.   Did people forget he won two titles with essentially no #2?  Drexler was well past his prime.  Annihilate may have been too strong but I have a very hard time believing he would have much trouble shredding the 5's today.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 10:36:28 PM by MuggsyB »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1519 on: June 22, 2021, 10:38:42 PM »
2 well coached teams tonite.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1520 on: June 22, 2021, 10:48:05 PM »
What was that?  Clippers ball? 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1521 on: June 22, 2021, 10:51:19 PM »
Ball don't lie?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1522 on: June 22, 2021, 10:56:20 PM »
Bam!  Tremendous assist from Jae!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1523 on: June 22, 2021, 11:05:24 PM »
What a pass by Jae!

Oh, and nice FT bricks, Playoff P!!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1524 on: June 22, 2021, 11:08:45 PM »
What a pass by Jae!

Oh, and nice FT bricks, Playoff P!!

Only took one great play by Jae to make up for his poor game. Good players step up.