[Today at 11:29:24 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 10:38:12 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:31:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by lawdog77
[Today at 07:08:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188280 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #1175 on: June 13, 2021, 11:05:10 PM »

As for the game tonight, for all the criticism and jokes and shade that’s been thrown at him, man watching Chris Paul play PG is a joy.  He was absolutely unreal now and he’s really on the perfect team for his role and experience now. When he gets cooking, every mid range jumper that doesn’t fall feels like an absurd anomaly

He's a 1st ballot HoF'er who has gotten a lot less criticism than guys like LeBron, Durant, and Westbrook, among others.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: June 13, 2021, 11:21:45 PM »
Watching the replay of the Kyrie injury I can see how some might view that as a dirty play by Giannis.  It didn't look intentional but it's like he tried to box him out while he was in the air?  I'm just not sure what to think here.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1177 on: June 14, 2021, 02:09:36 AM »
What a joke of a call, no pun intended. They ejected him not because he hit anyone hard - it was a glancing blow at worst- but because of how hard his arm swung. And he clearly was making a play on the ball.
J hate to sound like old man/Charles Barkley, but that was a routine foul in the 90s.

More of an indictment of 90s NBA.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1178 on: June 14, 2021, 07:25:46 AM »
Watching the replay of the Kyrie injury I can see how some might view that as a dirty play by Giannis.  It didn't look intentional but it's like he tried to box him out while he was in the air?  I'm just not sure what to think here.

I just watched it again. I don't think he was trying to box out anybody. I think he simply was moving in for the rebound.

I don't watch the Bucks nearly as much as others here. Does Giannis have a history of or reputation for dirty play?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: June 14, 2021, 07:51:32 AM »
To me, he's been MVP of the playoffs so far.
I like Chris Paul, and he had a dynamite series, but he should have been t'd up (or worse) for this. I know he and the Facu have a history.
https://twitter.com/DNVRMango/status/1404258037641232384

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1180 on: June 14, 2021, 08:29:56 AM »
I like Chris Paul, and he had a dynamite series, but he should have been t'd up (or worse) for this. I know he and the Facu have a history.
https://twitter.com/DNVRMango/status/1404258037641232384

I didn't see that until right now. That's weird. What's the context? Why did he do it? Why do you think the ref didn't T him up?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1181 on: June 14, 2021, 08:51:34 AM »
I didn't see that until right now. That's weird. What's the context? Why did he do it? Why do you think the ref didn't T him up?
It probably goes back to the 2012 Olympics. He probably didn't get a T because stars get preferential treatment

https://slate.com/culture/2012/08/nicolas-batum-facundo-campazzo-there-is-an-epidemic-of-groin-punching-in-olympic-mens-basketball.html

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1182 on: June 14, 2021, 09:17:02 AM »
So, with these Net injuries, can the Bucks win two more?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1183 on: June 14, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »
I just watched it again. I don't think he was trying to box out anybody. I think he simply was moving in for the rebound.

I don't watch the Bucks nearly as much as others here. Does Giannis have a history of or reputation for dirty play?

No. Giannis is as straight up a player as you will find in this league. Just a lot of legs under the hoop - I think this is very different than your typical jumpshooter penalty. No idea what the rule says in terms of whether that should have been an F-1 by default. Seems like a bang-bang play that you can't really regulate out of the game.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: June 14, 2021, 09:24:01 AM »
So, with these Net injuries, can the Bucks win two more?

If both Harden and Kyrie are out? Certainly seems possible.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1185 on: June 14, 2021, 09:25:25 AM »
He's a 1st ballot HoF'er who has gotten a lot less criticism than guys like LeBron, Durant, and Westbrook, among others.

Cool, don’t see how that negates anything I said other than being unnecessarily contrarian.  But do you man

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: June 14, 2021, 09:34:06 AM »

No reputation that I’m aware of. He did spear Dunleavy early on in his career and get ejected. If I remember right, Dunleavy had thrown a number of dirty elbows.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1187 on: June 14, 2021, 09:59:30 AM »
No reputation that I’m aware of. He did spear Dunleavy early on in his career and get ejected. If I remember right, Dunleavy had thrown a number of dirty elbows.

That was the 2015 playoffs if I recall.  Giannis was still a 20 year old super inexperienced dude who totally lost his cool in his first playoffs.  Over the last 5 years, he's really done nothing that would even register as "dirty".

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: June 14, 2021, 10:08:18 AM »
The Kyrie injury was definitely not dirty.

Giannis was trying to do anything cheap there. Just was a unfortunate play.

Hopefully Kyrie can come back because as a neutral fan this series is much more entertaining if the Nets are not missing 2/3rds of their studs
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: June 14, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »
The Kyrie injury was definitely not dirty.

Giannis was trying to do anything cheap there. Just was a unfortunate play.

Hopefully Kyrie can come back because as a neutral fan this series is much more entertaining if the Nets are not missing 2/3rds of their studs

As a Bucks fan, I'm happy they are in a strong position and back in the mix.  As a basketball fan, this series has been terrible viewing.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1190 on: June 14, 2021, 10:37:34 AM »
As a Bucks fan, I'm happy they are in a strong position and back in the mix.  As a basketball fan, this series has been terrible viewing.

Yeah.  Games 1 and 4 were the best played games, and neither were really in any doubt for a majority of the game.  I would love for the Bucks to have won this series against a fully healthy Nets team, but I'll take winning the series any way possible.  They didn't take advantage of Harden going out in Brooklyn.  I hope they take advantage of any breaks they get along the way going forward.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:41:35 AM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: June 14, 2021, 10:52:41 AM »

Not at all what I was expecting or hoping for. Thought we'd get a continuation of what we saw in the regular season. But some of the stars (Jrue) or key role players (Joe Harris, where you at) have not been shining as bright.

Hope the Nets get at least one of their stars back to add some intrigue to this. Durant-Griffin-Harris is not better than Giannis-Khris-Jrue

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: June 14, 2021, 11:38:38 AM »
I would love for the Bucks to have won this series against a fully healthy Nets team

Chance of this happening was minuscule.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1193 on: June 14, 2021, 11:56:08 AM »
So…set a limit on the number of “Jae’s type” you can have? That is okay, even though saying “Jae’s type is not welcome anymore” is…well, setting a limit on the number of “Jae’s type” you can have?

Prohibition is not the same as setting limits to stay within the rules. The fact that you think it is explains a lot.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: June 14, 2021, 12:39:50 PM »
Prohibition is not the same as setting limits to stay within the rules. The fact that you think it is explains a lot.

Where's the limit then?

Seems incredibly contradictory.  Shameful we don't allow these "types" into Marquette anymore...unless we can't play in the NCAA Tournament.  Then we need to limit the number of these "types" we welcome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: June 14, 2021, 12:47:33 PM »
If both Harden and Kyrie are out? Certainly seems possible.

If they are out, the Bucks should be favored (probably heavily favored) to win the series.

When healthy, Durant always has been one of the very best players in the world ... but the same is true of LeBron, and he couldn't win with no help. Jordan couldn't, either.

Durant-Griffin-Harris is not better than Giannis-Khris-Jrue

This.

I also agree with Wags that the series has really stunk -- barely watchable at times. If I were a Bucks fan, though, I'd happily take it if they end up winning.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1196 on: June 14, 2021, 02:03:44 PM »
If they are out, the Bucks should be favored (probably heavily favored) to win the series.

When healthy, Durant always has been one of the very best players in the world ... but the same is true of LeBron, and he couldn't win with no help. Jordan couldn't, either.

This.

I also agree with Wags that the series has really stunk -- barely watchable at times. If I were a Bucks fan, though, I'd happily take it if they end up winning.

This is 100% correct.  The Bucks should win and be HEAVILY favored.  Lost in this series is that the Bucks have not played well offensively.  They hit a few threes yesterday but in general have shot the ball poorly and have taken poor shots.  They should attack the rim at will and play far more disciplined and intelligent basketball.  If they lose this series, with the Nets' injuries, it's a condemnation of the entire team and coaching staff. You drop the hammer, take no prisoners, and move on to the ECF.  If the Bucks play anywhere near their capabilities they absolutely win this series.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1197 on: June 14, 2021, 03:52:04 PM »
Where's the limit then?

Seems incredibly contradictory.  Shameful we don't allow these "types" into Marquette anymore...unless we can't play in the NCAA Tournament.  Then we need to limit the number of these "types" we welcome.

The limit? I don’t know, neither do you. Are all P6 conferences denying admittance to the Jae Crowders of the world? Is it illegal? If the answers are no and no, then why does MU need a specific policy against it? The BB coach and the AD make a lot of money and should be able to figure out how to navigate the APR highway. You obviously can’t fill your rosters with Jaes (or Wades, for that matter) but it’s not “contradictory” to make exceptions. Having a “No Jaes need apply” policy is (imo) dumb for both the basketball team and dumb for the university.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1198 on: June 14, 2021, 04:08:08 PM »
Lenny, FFS Marquette isn't denying admittance to any basketball player and no one is saying "Jae's no need apply."  Your hyperbolic, strawman arguments are so very Chicos.  Which means they are pretty bad.

But you've picked this hill to die on...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1199 on: June 14, 2021, 06:21:58 PM »
Lenny, FFS Marquette isn't denying admittance to any basketball player and no one is saying "Jae's no need apply."  Your hyperbolic, strawman arguments are so very Chicos.  Which means they are pretty bad.

But you've picked this hill to die on...

Sultan, FFS, it has been stated by MANY here (you, too?) that Marquette instituted a new policy (post Jae) to henceforth not accept as scholarship athletes any Jucos (maybe transfers, too?) who could not graduate within the time of their eligibility. This is (to my knowledge) not an NCAA rule but rather a Marquette policy. If these aren’t the facts by all means correct them - I’d love for it not to be true. If it is true:

1. Your statement that MU by policy is not denying admittance to any athletes is flat out false.
2. There is zero hyperbole, strawmen or Chicoian logic in my argument, only facts - at least as they’ve been reported here.
3. Nobody is dying on this hill but you.