collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188122 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #600 on: May 19, 2021, 10:05:29 AM »
I have enjoyed watching LaMelo Ball this season, but he wasn't the same player after he returned from his wrist injury. Last night, on the biggest stage of his young pro career, he played like a clueless 19-year-old.

I know that plus/minus is a flawed stat, but his minu-35 -- MINUS-35!!!!! -- spoke volumes.

Hornets have a few nice pieces, including LaMelo -- especially LaMelo. But right now they have the look of one of those middle-of-the-pack teams that will be on the playoff/lottery bubble every season, with lots of large salaries but little to show for it. Gotta be driving Jordan nuts. And Michael couldn't have liked the total lack of effort last night.

I hear you, but I think its an anomaly more than concern.  The Pacers make 12 3s a game at a 35% clip.   They made 7 out of 13 in the first quarter alone.  Just blitzed a young team with a meh head coach.  The entire starting lineup had a terrible +/- along with him.

Rough end of the season or not, they made the playoffs because of Melo.  They have some other nice young pieces (Washington, Rozier, Graham, and Bridges) but none are even all star caliber yet.  Took a transcendent ROY to push them.  Would be interesting to have seen him in a full 7 game series.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #601 on: May 19, 2021, 10:47:41 AM »
I hear you, but I think its an anomaly more than concern.  The Pacers make 12 3s a game at a 35% clip.   They made 7 out of 13 in the first quarter alone.  Just blitzed a young team with a meh head coach.  The entire starting lineup had a terrible +/- along with him.

Rough end of the season or not, they made the playoffs because of Melo.  They have some other nice young pieces (Washington, Rozier, Graham, and Bridges) but none are even all star caliber yet.  Took a transcendent ROY to push them.  Would be interesting to have seen him in a full 7 game series.

I like this take, Wags. Before he got hurt, LaMelo was an offensive genius. He could work magic with the ball, and he shot way better than I expected. He's a defensive disaster, but so are most 19-year-olds. I'm very high on him, for obvious reasons.

The Hornets' coach and his staff seem better at developing talent (including some of the names you mentioned) than they are at game prep and in-game adjustments. But they are relatively young in their professions, too, so I'm inclined to give them a bit of a pass on this strange season. Three players who were in the G-League 1 and 2 years ago have become NBA contributors (Graham, Martin, McDaniels), Bridges has future star potential and Rozier really found his way.

Yes, the Pacers shot well but most of those 3s were wide open. I mean, McDermott can't do anything else; why would you leave him wide open from 3, especially after the first couple? And they also had a parade of layups and dunks. The degree of difficulty on just about every shot they took was low -- NBA players make those shots. It underscores that the Hornets need to be MUCH better defensively, need to find a couple of rim protectors who aren't offensive liabilities, just need to be more dedicated on that side of the ball.

They simply need more good players, and for at least 2-3 of their good young players to become All-Stars. And then they need to keep their All-Stars from bolting to LA, NY, etc. It's a lot to ask. We'll see if Jordan and Kupchak can pull it off.

OK ... that was way too much Hornets talk ... sorry!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #602 on: May 19, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »
Yeah butt, da Bucks are Giannis, Jrue, and a bunch of smoes, hey?

There are still people out there who don't appreciate KM?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #603 on: May 19, 2021, 11:06:47 AM »
I like this take, Wags. Before he got hurt, LaMelo was an offensive genius. He could work magic with the ball, and he shot way better than I expected. He's a defensive disaster, but so are most 19-year-olds. I'm very high on him, for obvious reasons.

The Hornets' coach and his staff seem better at developing talent (including some of the names you mentioned) than they are at game prep and in-game adjustments. But they are relatively young in their professions, too, so I'm inclined to give them a bit of a pass on this strange season. Three players who were in the G-League 1 and 2 years ago have become NBA contributors (Graham, Martin, McDaniels), Bridges has future star potential and Rozier really found his way.

Yes, the Pacers shot well but most of those 3s were wide open. I mean, McDermott can't do anything else; why would you leave him wide open from 3, especially after the first couple? And they also had a parade of layups and dunks. The degree of difficulty on just about every shot they took was low -- NBA players make those shots. It underscores that the Hornets need to be MUCH better defensively, need to find a couple of rim protectors who aren't offensive liabilities, just need to be more dedicated on that side of the ball.

They simply need more good players, and for at least 2-3 of their good young players to become All-Stars. And then they need to keep their All-Stars from bolting to LA, NY, etc. It's a lot to ask. We'll see if Jordan and Kupchak can pull it off.

OK ... that was way too much Hornets talk ... sorry!
Saw the box score, and noticed Kelan Martin, from Butler, scored 14. If that guy can be in the league, I can see why many college kids jump ship.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #604 on: May 19, 2021, 12:14:51 PM »
Saw the box score, and noticed Kelan Martin, from Butler, scored 14. If that guy can be in the league, I can see why many college kids jump ship.

You mean the guy who averaged 22 and 6 on a good Butler team, was first team All BE, and an honorable mention AA?

He’s a bit small for the 3, but he’s very solid defensively and can score in a variety of ways.  Weird example cause he’s the kind of dude who would have been an NBA lock before the migration to younger and raw talent came about

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #605 on: May 19, 2021, 02:28:59 PM »
You mean the guy who averaged 22 and 6 on a good Butler team, was first team All BE, and an honorable mention AA?

He’s a bit small for the 3, but he’s very solid defensively and can score in a variety of ways.  Weird example cause he’s the kind of dude who would have been an NBA lock before the migration to younger and raw talent came about
Or the 6-6 slow forward, who only shot 35% from 3, had more turnovers than assists, and led his team to a 9-9 conference records. Kids will see what they want to see, or see what people in their ear tell them. My point stands, if Kelan Martin can make the NBA, any decent player will think they can make it. You do realize there were 46 Honorable Mention All Americans?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #606 on: May 19, 2021, 04:37:55 PM »
Or the 6-6 slow forward, who only shot 35% from 3, had more turnovers than assists, and led his team to a 9-9 conference records. Kids will see what they want to see, or see what people in their ear tell them. My point stands, if Kelan Martin can make the NBA, any decent player will think they can make it. You do realize there were 46 Honorable Mention All Americans?

It was 36.5% as a senior, is that supposed to be terrible?  Thats better than everyone on Marquette last year outside of Elliott.  Thats better than everyone on Creighton, a team known for shooting a lot of 3s, not named Zegarowski or Ballock.

There were 4 seniors on the AP 1st or 2nd team that year.  A bunch of underclassmen in the HM list.  So he was one of, lets say, the top 30 seniors in college basketball that year.  After being All Big East 2nd team for 2 years and First team his last year.

Again, he wasn't a lottery pick nor would anyone think he would be, but acting like he was some bum that validates any player thinking they can make the NBA is lunacy.  Using someone like Juan as an example of "if he can make it, anyone can if they take a shot and work", ok.  But Kelan Martin was a college stud who got NBA looks for good reasons and took advantage.  Pretending like he was a scrub at Butler who would give irrational confidence to others is absurd.  If you're gonna do that, at least use Sean McDermott who was literally just a guy for Butler that somehow has stuck with the Grizzlies
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 04:39:48 PM by JWags85 »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #607 on: May 19, 2021, 07:12:09 PM »
I’m cool with the playin tournament being one and done.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #608 on: May 19, 2021, 07:16:54 PM »
I’m cool with the playin tournament being one and done.

Yup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #609 on: May 19, 2021, 09:42:25 PM »
Bam.  Juan just drilled a three after a left-handed flick pass from Curry. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #610 on: May 19, 2021, 09:53:26 PM »
Juan just took it right at LeBron.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #611 on: May 19, 2021, 09:57:08 PM »

That was sweet!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #612 on: May 19, 2021, 10:00:54 PM »
That was sweet!!

Yep. And "Juan just took it right at LeBron" is a sentence that, 7 or 5 or 2 years ago, any of us would have bet a million bucks would never be written!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #613 on: May 19, 2021, 10:03:40 PM »
WTF???  Curry missed a FT?  How,?  Smh.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #614 on: May 19, 2021, 10:06:28 PM »

Some might even say he…took him Juan on Juan.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #615 on: May 19, 2021, 10:06:37 PM »
Tremendous defense from JTA!!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #616 on: May 19, 2021, 10:12:03 PM »
Wiggins in his vintage “become 50% better when playing against Lebron” mode.  Juan doing everything.  Steph heating up.  Lebron looking disinterested and not healthy and AD being stubborn.  This is about as bad a start for the Lakers as you could script

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #617 on: May 19, 2021, 10:14:03 PM »
KABOOM!!  Juan with another sweet triple!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #618 on: May 19, 2021, 10:15:10 PM »
KABOOM!! Another sweet triple by Juan.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #619 on: May 19, 2021, 10:18:14 PM »
Just stop it Steph. Holy hell.  2 of those last 3 triples were cheat codes. The man has internalized all the post-Klay injury slander and turned into Omni-Man

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #620 on: May 19, 2021, 10:24:59 PM »
Just stop it Steph. Holy hell.  2 of those last 3 triples were cheat codes. The man has internalized all the post-Klay injury slander and turned into Omni-Man

Lillard may have similar range but Curry is Curry.  For some reason my step-back doesn't get to the rim as easily from 28 feet.  :(

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #621 on: May 19, 2021, 10:30:31 PM »

The shot at the end of the half was kind of ridiculous. Roughly 5 seconds left, triple teamed, somehow still got a fadeaway step back 3 off. Nothing but net.

Cheat Code it is.                 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #622 on: May 19, 2021, 10:32:52 PM »
Looks like the refs are trying to get the Lakers back in the game.  Lebron has no lift. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #623 on: May 19, 2021, 10:39:13 PM »
Warriors melting down with JTA on the bench.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #624 on: May 19, 2021, 10:40:13 PM »
Zero reason Kerr hasn't inserted Juan back in the game.