collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wedding Advice  (Read 7400 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Wedding Advice
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2022, 05:31:42 PM »
Clearly you didn't read my earlier post!   ;)

But mine was in the third room that you're not referring to.   We had 275 guests give or take but we hired a valet.  The only issues we had were that guests of the other wedding that night were using our valet which caused backups during the peak arrival time.   >:(   However, some people parked themselves and said they had no issues finding parking.

Hah, sorry! It had been a little bit since this was active and I didn’t go back and reread. I did remember your post but did not remember that Pritzlaff was where you had it.

They did not mention the third room. Might be booked up for fall of 2023 so didn’t even bother mentioning it. I don’t love the idea of having 2 other weddings at the same time in the same place. But I did really like the building and there are going to be negatives with every option.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2022, 06:01:00 PM »
After all this, you’re still going through with this….or at least eloping?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2022, 07:47:19 PM »
If there are 2 weddings, have a cash bar at yours and make sure the other one has a open bar.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2022, 09:40:15 PM »
If there are 2 weddings, have a cash bar at yours and make sure the other one has a open bar.

Beer and wine are free, hard stuff costs money.

We did full open bar and the amount of soldiers left behind 3/4 full was disgusting.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2022, 12:41:15 AM »
Beer and wine are free, hard stuff costs money.

We did full open bar and the amount of soldiers left behind 3/4 full was disgusting.

You didn't get it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2022, 10:21:14 AM »
Hah, sorry! It had been a little bit since this was active and I didn’t go back and reread. I did remember your post but did not remember that Pritzlaff was where you had it.

They did not mention the third room. Might be booked up for fall of 2023 so didn’t even bother mentioning it. I don’t love the idea of having 2 other weddings at the same time in the same place. But I did really like the building and there are going to be negatives with every option.

I worked at a facility that hosted 3 weddings every Saturday when I was in my teens. I don't really recall any issues popping up because of the multiple weddings taking place.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2022, 03:24:28 PM »

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2022, 02:07:47 PM »

So I actually misread your post!  The smaller room I thought you were referring to is not the one I was thinking of.  The one I was thinking of might only be open for use of small events or if you have the ceremony there as well.  Not sure exactly what they're doing these days with that space.

My reception was in the smaller room with the access to the alley (325 street address).  It was plenty of space for 275-ish guests (forget exact count).  I can tell you that other than the valet issue, we never even noticed there was another wedding going on since the entrances were opposite each other.  And between the two rooms, I think the alley access one is far better because it doesn't have that staircase blocking views and people really liked being able to go outside.  We bought a couple outdoor heaters in case it got chilly, and then sold them on craigslist (FB marketplace wasn't big then) after for most of what we paid. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2022, 03:05:09 PM »

So I actually misread your post!  The smaller room I thought you were referring to is not the one I was thinking of.  The one I was thinking of might only be open for use of small events or if you have the ceremony there as well.  Not sure exactly what they're doing these days with that space.

My reception was in the smaller room with the access to the alley (325 street address).  It was plenty of space for 275-ish guests (forget exact count).  I can tell you that other than the valet issue, we never even noticed there was another wedding going on since the entrances were opposite each other.  And between the two rooms, I think the alley access one is far better because it doesn't have that staircase blocking views and people really liked being able to go outside.  We bought a couple outdoor heaters in case it got chilly, and then sold them on craigslist (FB marketplace wasn't big then) after for most of what we paid.

Awesome, this is great information.  We have a 10 day hold on the 325 space.  I didn't love the staircase in the 333 space and how it almost turned the room into an L shape and split it between a dining area and the dance area, and I do really like the alleyway.

They require an outdoor ceremony for the 325 space which is really the only thing that had us considering the 333 space, since we'll be having it in late October and you never know what the weather is like in Wisconsin.  They offer outdoor heaters for $150/heater.  I'll have to work with them on having an idea on how many heaters they would recommend.  We do love the idea that if the weather allows for it you can have some lawn games set up out there and bring in a food truck.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2022, 06:32:25 PM »
Don’t serve a cab. It’s just a high alcohol sugar bomb from Cali.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2022, 10:31:35 PM »
Awesome, this is great information.  We have a 10 day hold on the 325 space.  I didn't love the staircase in the 333 space and how it almost turned the room into an L shape and split it between a dining area and the dance area, and I do really like the alleyway.

They require an outdoor ceremony for the 325 space which is really the only thing that had us considering the 333 space, since we'll be having it in late October and you never know what the weather is like in Wisconsin.  They offer outdoor heaters for $150/heater.  I'll have to work with them on having an idea on how many heaters they would recommend.  We do love the idea that if the weather allows for it you can have some lawn games set up out there and bring in a food truck.

Ohhh yeah!  I remember the heater thing now!  You can buy a heater off Amazon for less and give them away as door prizes for that price!   ;D.  Just need someone with a pickup to bring them to the ceremony!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2022, 11:07:50 PM »
Ohhh yeah!  I remember the heater thing now!  You can buy a heater off Amazon for less and give them away as door prizes for that price!   ;D.  Just need someone with a pickup to bring them to the ceremony!

Are you referring to propane heaters?  You will also have to factor in the cost of the propane tank, which will probably push the cost over $150.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2022, 03:27:45 AM »
Worried about $150 heaters adding to the cost of a wedding? This is why MU's endowment is so small, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2022, 11:59:16 AM »
Are you referring to propane heaters?  You will also have to factor in the cost of the propane tank, which will probably push the cost over $150.

Yes I was, and I agree it does put it a little over w/ propane (but not taking into account that you can sell them after to recoup most of the money)  But again, they're renting them for the cost to buy them which just seems crazy to me.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2022, 02:25:53 PM »
Yes I was, and I agree it does put it a little over w/ propane (but not taking into account that you can sell them after to recoup most of the money)  But again, they're renting them for the cost to buy them which just seems crazy to me.

Welcome to the Event Industrialized Complex. In my last job, I worked for a NFP and I saw all the bills we paid for various conferences and the prices were insane. I have seen $5 granola bars and $85 urns of coffee.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2023, 02:56:59 PM »
Does anybody have any recommendations for photographers in the Milwaukee area?  The two we had recommended to us are booked for our wedding weekend.

Also, I feel more confident I'll be able to figure this one out on my own but it doesn't hurt to ask.  Does anyone have any recommendations for the best way (and/or vendor in Milwaukee) they've seen desserts?  Nothing wrong with just putting a piece of cake in front of everyone, but I kind of like the idea of giving some variety and letting guests find what they like.

Lastly, any good food trucks that you know of that will go to wedding venues for some late night food?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2023, 03:54:26 PM »
Does anybody have any recommendations for photographers in the Milwaukee area?  The two we had recommended to us are booked for our wedding weekend.

Also, I feel more confident I'll be able to figure this one out on my own but it doesn't hurt to ask.  Does anyone have any recommendations for the best way (and/or vendor in Milwaukee) they've seen desserts?  Nothing wrong with just putting a piece of cake in front of everyone, but I kind of like the idea of giving some variety and letting guests find what they like.

Lastly, any good food trucks that you know of that will go to wedding venues for some late night food?

Sent a PM

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2023, 04:23:51 PM »
merrill hills just remodeled their facility and is spectacular.  huge window views looking out at hole #18 green(everybody 4 putts #18) and the #1 tee box.  beautifully landscaped, waterfalls, streams running out toward ponds.  new chef who's enthusiastic as hell to make this place a true venue and take the flagship status of brandybrook away. 

have a picture but seems it's too much for scoop to process and attach

Actually #9, #18 isn't viewable from the clubhouse.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2023, 05:38:27 PM »
Don’t hire this guy as your videographer

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2023, 11:21:39 AM »
It was fun reading back through this thread after the event.

Ended up with about 165 guests.  During some of the planning I definitely thought it would've been easier to just do something really small, but the weekend was great and I wouldn't have changed anything.  I definitely expected to be stressed and overwhelmed throughout the night, but it was about as smooth as we could've hoped for.  Of course you wish you could spend more time with each person there, but everyone understands.

Biggest hiccups this weekend were we booked the bridal suite at the hotel we booked a room block at for Friday night so that my (now) wife could stay there Friday into Saturday and the bridal party could get hair and makeup done in the same room ahead of the wedding, and then kept the room Saturday night.  We asked for early check in but they said they can only put in a request for it but couldn't guarantee it.  So we went to check in right at check in time (3:00) ahead of the rehearsal and they told us they didn't have a room ready because there were AC issues in the room.  They loaded up a cart with all our stuff and put it in an office they promised nobody could get into, but we had some expensive jewelry with us so the matron of honor had to carry a bag of jewelry around all night.  The room was ready after the rehearsal dinner and they made sure to take care of us, so overall not hugely harmful.

Then I left the marriage license at my parents' house.  Fairly easy fix.  Sister in law's mother was in town babysitting the nieces and was going to be coming back and forth to help make the nieces available for pictures and then get them to sleep.  So she got it from my parents' house and dropped it off when picking up the nieces for the night.

Late night food truck (empanadas) showed up an hour later than scheduled, and the crowd had died down by that point.  We had paid for 26 dozen empanadas, and I'm quite certain we didn't eat nearly that many.  Overall that was probably the worst thing to happen, and I still got to eat them and they were delicious so can't really complain too much there.  Was thinking about contacting them and seeing if they'd comp us a meal or something next time we're in town, but I'll probably just let it go.

Otherwise we couldn't have asked for a more fun, smooth day.  Had it at the Pritzlaff and the staff was way more involved in the day and helpful than I expected.  They basically ran the entire rehearsal and ceremony and really made sure we (the bride and groom) were taken care of all night, without being overbearing.  We were very thankful they finished their project to make the covered part of the courtyard have the ability to be closed off.  They had almost the material you use for the giant tents roll out across the courtyard and then had an industrial sized furnace, so it felt like we were just indoors.  It would've been very chilly had it not been for that.

Had Sound by Design as our DJ and pretty much the same thing, came to me when absolutely needed but let ust just enjoy the night and followed our timeline and playlists exactly as we asked for.  Didn't have very traditional songs for our first dance, recessional, etc. but everyone had fun with it.  We originally weren't going to do a photobooth but decided people tend to like them and added one last minute.  They were going to set up a background, but said that the brick background is really cool as is and thought maybe we'd like to leave it as the brick background, which we did.  People loved it and some of the photos are absolutely hilarious.

Used Saz's as our caterer and they put together the menu exactly as we asked.  We liked the idea of a buffet style because that way you get to choose what food you want, vs. plated where you're just served what's there.  But we don't love having to make everyone get up and walk over to it, serve tables 1 by 1, etc.  So Saz's suggested family style.  It was so awesome.  I couldn't even tell you how many people mentioned they'd never seen that at a catered event and thought it was not only delicious food, but a really cool way to serve the food.  Plenty of each item for everyone at each table, and then they brought out seconds on whatever was picked over.

We did cake jars from Black Twig as our desserts and everyone loved them and thought they were somewhat unique.

We used JWag's recommendation as our photographer and they were great.  They were much more a "part" of our day, rather than simply "working" our day than I realized.  They got all the groups we asked for, and did it in a very timely matter.  We had been told to find some time alone for just ourselves at some point, as it will be a blur all day.  So after taking family and wedding party photos on site, my bride and I hopped in my car with one of the photographers and went to the Giannis mural for a few pictures.  The photographer then recommended heading down to the art museum for our portraits and while it was really cold, we think the pictures are going to be awesome.  We got back and the Pritzlaff people had hors d'oeuvres saved for us and grabbed us a drink to have out where the ceremony had been just by ourselves before they grabbed the wedding party for our grand march.

Florist was the person who my sister and brother in law used.  She was incredible.  We met with her once, told her what we envisioned, she emailed us pictures of what she had in mind, they were exactly what we hoped for, and that was basically it.  She took it from there.  Had stuff for our ceremony, then converted that into the head table flowers.  Hung flowers in a trellis over our dinner table.  Was insanely affordable.  I don't think she typically does a ton of weddings, but I guess does all of the flowers for Summerfest?

Only two speeches that were both great and not too long.  We didn't have a videographer but did have a friend who recorded the speeches and the grand march.  I personally don't think we'll regret not having the videographer.

Did the rehearsal dinner at Dorsia which was awesome.  Buffet style and then sent home an absurd amount of leftover pasta to us, so those got distributed to a bunch of people.  Cheesecake from Simma's for dessert which is always great.  Sunday we had the back room at Oscar's Pub for family and out of town guests right when they opened at 11.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 11:30:07 AM by wadesworld »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2023, 11:46:34 AM »

Congrats!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2023, 11:49:07 AM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2023, 02:03:48 PM »
Congrats Wades!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2023, 02:46:32 PM »
Congratulations!  Did Da Judge officiate?
Ludum habemus.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2023, 03:09:17 PM »
Damn ... my invitation musta gotten lost in the mail. But it sounds like a great event anyway. Congrats to you and mrs. wades.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson