collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127393 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9500 on: January 14, 2021, 10:01:51 AM »
I mean he called it the Chinese virus from day 1, long before we knew if the administration was going to handle things terribly or not but I see and understand your and GE’s point. 

Are we not on this very board calling the Ohio strain, THE “Ohio strain”?

Well played.   ;D

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9501 on: January 14, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »
Isn't calling this coronavirus "Covid-19" offensive to the year 2019?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9502 on: January 14, 2021, 10:07:28 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9503 on: January 14, 2021, 10:09:58 AM »
Sure, not disagreeing that a good chunk of the country find him repulsive.  Just arguing that by following precedence of calling a virus by the geographical point of origin is not necessarily motivated by anything other then that. 

But in this case it clearly was.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #9504 on: January 14, 2021, 01:13:48 PM »
Do you stay on the resort the entire time you are there or do you venture out? Some areas are pretty rough with the beggars and the hustlers.

We don't stay at AI resorts, too expensive and why pay for all of the amenities you aren't using? At an AI you feel guilty leaving the resort because you paid through the nose.  Jamaica is cheap, cold Red Stripes are about $1.50 everywhere, a cab is roughly $1/person to anywhere in town, the best restaurants won't even cost $100.

We rent a cottage, go out around town to shops, bars and restaurants. We take local cabs, Negril is very safe. Yes there are higglers walking the beach selling everything from ganja, fruit juices, fresh fruit, crafts, all kinds of food from the lobster guy that will cook a lobster on the beach to Norm the Patty man. If you don't want to buy a firm "NO" is sufficient. In about 20 trips since the 90's we have never felt unsafe or had any problems.

I have experienced more beggars and con artists in NOLA or at Blues Fest in Chicago than Negril.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:02:47 PM by Spotcheck Billy »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9505 on: January 14, 2021, 01:18:24 PM »
We have mentioned this here before, but it bears repeating. 'Surviving' Covid doesn't necessarily mean you are out of the woods.

Post-COVID lungs worse than the worst smokers' lungs, surgeon says

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/post-covid-lungs-worse-than-the-worst-smokers-lungs-surgeon-says/

A Texas trauma surgeon says it's rare that X-rays from any of her COVID-19 patients come back without dense scarring. Dr. Brittany Bankhead-Kendall tweeted, "Post-COVID lungs look worse than any type of terrible smoker's lung we've ever seen. And they collapse. And they clot off. And the shortness of breath lingers on... & on... & on."

"Everyone's just so worried about the mortality thing and that's terrible and it's awful," she told CBS Dallas-Fort Worth. "But man, for all the survivors and the people who have tested positive this is — it's going to be a problem."

Bankhead-Kendall, an assistant professor of surgery with Texas Tech University, in Lubbock, has treated thousands of patients since the pandemic began in March.

She says patients who've had COVID-19 symptoms show a severe chest X-ray every time, and those who were asymptomatic show a severe chest X-ray 70% to 80% of the time.

------------

We don't know how long the scarring might last, or what the effects might be on previously asymptomatic patients...but I sure don't want to find out.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9506 on: January 14, 2021, 01:26:55 PM »
I know I am really glad I passed my PFT in October and am really glad I don't need to pass it again until this October.    Two months in and I can still feel a difference.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9507 on: January 14, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »
We don't stay at AI resorts, too expensive and why pay for all of the amenities you aren't using? At an AI you feel guilty leaving the resort because you paid through the nose. The gigantic buses going to Rick's for sunset all haul ass back to the AI's as soon as the sun sets because everyone paid for dinner. Jamaica is cheap, cold Red Stripes are about $1.50 everywhere, a cab is roughly $1/person to anywhere in town, the best restaurants don't have anything over $35 and that's for lobster thermidor etc.

We rent a cottage, go out around town to shops, bars and restaurants. We take local cabs, convert cash to JMD and mingle with the locals. Negril is very safe. Yes there are higglers walking the beach selling everything from ganja, fruit juices, fresh fruit, crafts, all kinds of food from the lobster guy that will cook a lobster on the beach to Norm the Patty man. If you don't want to buy a firm "NO" is sufficient. In about 20 trips since the 90's we have never felt unsafe or had any problems.

I have experienced more beggars and con artists in NOLA or at Blues Fest in Chicago than Negril.

I've never been to Jamaica, but I've had similar adventures in other noteworthy, 'swarthy' places throughout Europe.  One that comes to mind is that apparently there are people who are afraid of Naples.  I never felt unsafe, and we walked everywhere... even at night.  No one bothers you if you don't bother them.  I've found that respecting people and their culture, especially when abroad, goes a long way.  You're in their country, so adapt yourself to their customs, and you will be treated well... generally.

I've been treated far worse in the obviously touristy places than I ever have been at off-the-beaten-path places. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9508 on: January 14, 2021, 01:54:17 PM »
I've never been to Jamaica, but I've had similar adventures in other noteworthy, 'swarthy' places throughout Europe.  One that comes to mind is that apparently there are people who are afraid of Naples.  I never felt unsafe, and we walked everywhere... even at night.  No one bothers you if you don't bother them.  I've found that respecting people and their culture, especially when abroad, goes a long way.  You're in their country, so adapt yourself to their customs, and you will be treated well... generally.

I've been treated far worse in the obviously touristy places than I ever have been at off-the-beaten-path places.

Was I afraid in Naples? No. I didn’t feel like I was going to be assaulted or robbed or whatnot.  Was I fairly preoccupied with being aware of pickpockets? 1000%.  I travel pretty extensively for both work and pleasure, and nowhere was I cautioned, by associates and locals alike, to watch your things like I was when I told people I would be there. It has a well deserved reputation for petty crime.  One of my friends is engaged to an Italian from Rome. And his advice to anyone going to Naples is “Pizza, Reggia di Caserta, and wallet up here” and pats his front pocket

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9509 on: January 14, 2021, 02:01:06 PM »
Was I afraid in Naples? No. I didn’t feel like I was going to be assaulted or robbed or whatnot.  Was I fairly preoccupied with being aware of pickpockets? 1000%.  I travel pretty extensively for both work and pleasure, and nowhere was I cautioned, by associates and locals alike, to watch your things like I was when I told people I would be there. It has a well deserved reputation for petty crime.  One of my friends is engaged to an Italian from Rome. And his advice to anyone going to Naples is “Pizza, Reggia di Caserta, and wallet up here” and pats his front pocket

When I travel anywhere my wallet is always secured inside a zipped coat.  I'm not saying, "don't be cautious", obviously be aware of your surroundings... but if you go to any travel website and ask about a city... they all say 'watch out for pick pockets!'.  I'm also not suggesting to go to the Favelas in Rio or such things... but I loved Naples and never felt unsafe.  They really need public trash bins though.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9510 on: January 14, 2021, 02:37:43 PM »

The wife and I walked all over Naples many moons ago.  I HAD to visit the ancestral homeland.  Never had an issue other than annoyingly being asked to buy travel sized tissues all the time.  Seeing Naples firsthand explained a lot of Italian-Americans things I grew up with.

I travel out of country quite a bit and I significantly reduce the wallet size before leaving on the trip and I carry in an inside jacket pocket.  If no jacket then I put in a necklace passport pouch that goes under my shirt.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9511 on: January 14, 2021, 03:09:56 PM »
When I travel anywhere my wallet is always secured inside a zipped coat.  I'm not saying, "don't be cautious", obviously be aware of your surroundings... but if you go to any travel website and ask about a city... they all say 'watch out for pick pockets!'.  I'm also not suggesting to go to the Favelas in Rio or such things... but I loved Naples and never felt unsafe.  They really need public trash bins though.

I literally said it was feedback from seasoned travelers and Italians, not Frommers or a Rick Steves message board. And different than I’d hear about London or Athens or Budapest or Porto. I loved Naples and would never dissuade anyone from going, but it’s reputation isn’t entirely unfounded

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9512 on: January 14, 2021, 04:57:56 PM »
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/mayor-lori-lightfoot-wants-to-reopen-restaurants-and-bars-as-quickly-as-possible-to-reduce-risk-of-underground-parties/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

SMDH!!!!

Daily record of deaths, new and more contagious just starting to show up in the Midwest and here we’re fighting for the reopening of bars and restaurants. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9513 on: January 14, 2021, 06:43:44 PM »
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/mayor-lori-lightfoot-wants-to-reopen-restaurants-and-bars-as-quickly-as-possible-to-reduce-risk-of-underground-parties/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

SMDH!!!!

Daily record of deaths, new and more contagious just starting to show up in the Midwest and here we’re fighting for the reopening of bars and restaurants.

Wait.

Now you want lockdown?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9514 on: January 14, 2021, 06:58:29 PM »
Welcome to the party, pal

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9515 on: January 14, 2021, 07:04:25 PM »
Wait.

Now you want lockdown?

Now you don’t? 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9516 on: January 14, 2021, 07:16:16 PM »
Wait.

Now you want lockdown?

Not his state, and more importantly, not his party.   If it were, this would be a reasonable approach to try to get some business some needed money. 

I didn't watch, don't live in IL, and haven't studied their covid #s, so I'll refrain from giving my opinion.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9517 on: January 14, 2021, 07:24:50 PM »
Not his state, and more importantly, not his party.   If it were, this would be a reasonable approach to try to get some business some needed money. 

I didn't watch, don't live in IL, and haven't studied their covid #s, so I'll refrain from giving my opinion.

Not my state?  Of course I’m not in favor of lockdowns, it has shown zero ability in mitigating the spread unless it’s a hard hard shutdown of everything with curfews and the whole shebang.  The limited lockdown measures was simply playing political games with people’s livelihoods and I commend the mayor for having the cajones to be so blatant in showing what her true intentions where by not even waiting for Biden to take office to completely flip her position.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9518 on: January 14, 2021, 07:29:56 PM »
...and he shows it is more about the politician involved than the policy.     Thanks for the clarification.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9519 on: January 14, 2021, 07:47:41 PM »
Not my state? 

Did you relocate from WI to IL?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9520 on: January 14, 2021, 07:54:15 PM »
Not my state?  Of course I’m not in favor of lockdowns, it has shown zero ability in mitigating the spread unless it’s a hard hard shutdown of everything with curfews and the whole shebang.  The limited lockdown measures was simply playing political games with people’s livelihoods and I commend the mayor for having the cajones to be so blatant in showing what her true intentions where by not even waiting for Biden to take office to completely flip her position.

True intentions? This isn't a political ploy, Chicago was never going to be red or even remotely in play for the R's.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9521 on: January 14, 2021, 08:02:31 PM »

Lol. You're so disingenuous

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9522 on: January 14, 2021, 08:06:51 PM »

Ahh, I see what you meant.  Thought you were saying my state didn’t also have lockdowns. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9523 on: January 14, 2021, 08:08:38 PM »
Lol. You're so disingenuous

And you’re inconsistent. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9524 on: January 14, 2021, 08:11:03 PM »

And if we’re limiting comments reserved only for the state in which you reside and for the political party you’re affiliated with then we have some serious clean up to do in these threads.

feedback