collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127570 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #6200 on: June 01, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
Why do you keep insisting on posting trash news stories that serve no purpose.

First, the argument of keeping schools closed is because they serve as a vector of spread to the rest of the community, where there are significant health/life risks.

Second, the idiot who made this claim specifically used statistics comparing deaths (under 15) so far compared to the population under 15, vs. total deaths from lightning strike (all ages) compared to the population under 15. That is disingenuous for a number of reasons. 1) It compares deaths for an entire year, of all ages, against the under 15 population. 2) It uses only the deaths for really 2-months of coronavirus, during a nationwide lockdown as a measure of the actual total mortality rate. 3) Only a moron cares about such statistics anyway, even if done in an honest manner.

Forgetful, I can say, without a doubt, that you are my favorite (as well as most informative) poster in this thread. And it's not even close.

My only suggestion would be to stop engaging with chico, He wants only to argue and your points mean nothing to him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6201 on: June 01, 2020, 06:02:04 PM »
Now we've heard everything ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-india-monkey/monkeys-steal-coronavirus-blood-samples-in-india-idUSKBN2351KV?fbclid=IwAR3Et16dbIpvmqi9LVIexWp9KhkqTUmZ0DGQUVvzyHvPMXZeMGlwFPznXNk

LUCKNOW, India (Reuters) - A troop of monkeys in India attacked a medical official and snatched away blood samples of patients who had tested positive for the novel coronavirus, authorities said on Friday.

The attack occurred this week when a laboratory technician was walking in the campus of a state-run medical college in Meerut, 460 km (285 miles) north of Lucknow, capital of Uttar Pradesh state.

“Monkeys grabbed and fled with the blood samples of four COVID-19 patients who are undergoing treatment ... we had to take their blood samples again,” said Dr S. K. Garg, a top official at the college.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6202 on: June 01, 2020, 06:09:48 PM »
Forgetful, I can say, without a doubt, that you are my favorite (as well as most informative) poster in this thread. And it's not even close.

My only suggestion would be to stop engaging with chico, He wants only to argue and your points mean nothing to him.

Yeah I mean, if we were to take a vote, my top 3 would be.

1. forgetful
2. mu03eng
3. FrennsLiquorDeppt

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6203 on: June 01, 2020, 06:12:14 PM »
Now we've heard everything ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-india-monkey/monkeys-steal-coronavirus-blood-samples-in-india-idUSKBN2351KV?fbclid=IwAR3Et16dbIpvmqi9LVIexWp9KhkqTUmZ0DGQUVvzyHvPMXZeMGlwFPznXNk

LUCKNOW, India (Reuters) - A troop of monkeys in India attacked a medical official and snatched away blood samples of patients who had tested positive for the novel coronavirus, authorities said on Friday.

The attack occurred this week when a laboratory technician was walking in the campus of a state-run medical college in Meerut, 460 km (285 miles) north of Lucknow, capital of Uttar Pradesh state.

“Monkeys grabbed and fled with the blood samples of four COVID-19 patients who are undergoing treatment ... we had to take their blood samples again,” said Dr S. K. Garg, a top official at the college.

It's 2020. Chances are we'll look back on this day and recall the "good old days" when those playful little monkeys first stole the samples...and before they used them to create a mutated and devastatingly lethal strain.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6204 on: June 01, 2020, 06:15:42 PM »

1. forgetful
2. mu03eng
3. FrennsLiquorDeppt

Pretty good list.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6205 on: June 01, 2020, 06:37:49 PM »

It's 2020. Chances are we'll look back on this day and recall the "good old days" when those playful little monkeys first stole the samples...and before they used them to create a mutated and devastatingly lethal strain.

Maybe this is the start of the real Planet of the Apes!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6206 on: June 01, 2020, 08:49:26 PM »

1. forgetful
2. mu03eng
3. FrennsLiquorDeppt

I’m devastated.

But seriously, that is a solid list. The scientific information provided by forgetful is the main thing that keeps me coming back this thread. And I appreciate Eng and Frenns for trying to keep us on topic.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6207 on: June 01, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »

1. forgetful
2. mu03eng
3. FrennsLiquorDeppt

As$hole

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6208 on: June 01, 2020, 08:58:48 PM »

1. forgetful
2. mu03eng
3. FrennsLiquorDeppt

I won't be a member of any club that would have me
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6209 on: June 01, 2020, 09:00:21 PM »

1. forgetful
2. mu03eng
3. FrennsLiquorDeppt

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6210 on: June 01, 2020, 09:37:41 PM »

1. forgetful
2. mu03eng
3. FrennsLiquorDeppt

I’m devastated.

But seriously, that is a solid list. The scientific information provided by forgetful is the main thing that keeps me coming back this thread. And I appreciate Eng and Frenns for trying to keep us on topic.

Very much appreciate the kind words. I've also learned a lot from the various posters on here, we have a good well rounded group of people in terms of knowledge and experiences in different areas. To modify tower's phrase, always be learning

And agreed that I need to stop engaging Chicos.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #6211 on: June 01, 2020, 09:58:59 PM »
And only about 100 children (a fraction of a fraction of 1%) are kidnapped each year in the stereotypical stranger abductions you hear about in the news.

http://www.pollyklaas.org/about/national-child-kidnapping.html

So nobody should be concerned about their 6-year-olds being outside without supervision.

But I do hope you'll keep finding ways to downplay and minimize COVID-19. Thanks in advance!

How many are killed by their own hand with suicides?   How far do you want to go?  How many kids are killed by undocumented workers?  Do you support a wall? Are their deaths any less deadly?   I don't think anyone wants a child, an innocent child or baby to die.  Personally, I don't want to see suicide rates go up 300% either.  Or local gov'ts suspending services that help people because the money is all gone.

You cannot protect in all circumstances.  Follow the data, follow the science.  The risks are very low, and it will be tragic any child that dies from it.  No less tragic than any other child that dies. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6212 on: June 01, 2020, 10:15:41 PM »
How many are killed by their own hand with suicides?   How far do you want to go?  How many kids are killed by undocumented workers?  Do you support a wall? Are their deaths any less deadly?   I don't think anyone wants a child, an innocent child or baby to die.  Personally, I don't want to see suicide rates go up 300% either.  Or local gov'ts suspending services that help people because the money is all gone.

You cannot protect in all circumstances.  Follow the data, follow the science.  The risks are very low, and it will be tragic any child that dies from it.  No less tragic than any other child that dies.

You're a troll. I'm done engaging with you. (But I reserve the right to make fun of you.)

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #6213 on: June 01, 2020, 10:45:05 PM »
You're a troll. I'm done engaging with you. (But I reserve the right to make fun of you.)

He’s not a troll he’s a psychopath.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6214 on: June 01, 2020, 11:07:11 PM »

I’m devastated.

Honorable mention, goo.

Seriously, you have been outstanding since you started posting near the beginning of this thread.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6215 on: June 01, 2020, 11:39:25 PM »
Honorable mention, goo.

Seriously, you have been outstanding since you started posting near the beginning of this thread.

Much appreciated, Jockey.

I will keep contributing when I can, but I need to keep my frustrations with the administration in check. Not good for my morale.

Have a good night.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #6216 on: June 02, 2020, 06:54:50 AM »
From the NY Times morning brief:

‘Illiberal populists’ and the virus
The four large countries where coronavirus cases have been increasing fastest — Brazil, the U.S., Russia and Britain — have something in common: They are all run by populist male leaders who cast themselves as anti-elite and anti-establishment.
“Very often they rail against intellectuals and experts of nearly all types,” Steven Levitsky, a Harvard political scientist, told us. The leaders, he said, “claim to have a kind of common-sense wisdom that the experts lack. This doesn’t work very well versus Covid-19.” We explain — with a chart — here.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6217 on: June 02, 2020, 07:28:43 AM »
The NY Times had two very good summaries outlined too.
What we now know.  What we still don't know.

Six Months of Coronavirus: Here’s Some of What We’ve Learned
Much remains unknown and mysterious, but these are some of the things we’re pretty sure of after half a year of this pandemic.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-facts-history.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200602&instance_id=19010&nl=the-morning&regi_id=129195399&segment_id=29853&te=1&user_id=241ba4d41597465e5702c58f7203475b

After 6 Months, Important Mysteries About Coronavirus Endure
Times journalists summarize some of the most critical things that scientists and public health officials have yet to understand.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/health/coronavirus-mysteries.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200602&instance_id=19010&nl=the-morning&regi_id=129195399&segment_id=29853&te=1&user_id=241ba4d41597465e5702c58f7203475b

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6218 on: June 02, 2020, 07:51:42 AM »

The four large countries where coronavirus cases have been increasing fastest — Brazil, the U.S., Russia and Britain — have something in common: They are all run by populist male leaders who cast themselves as anti-elite and anti-establishment.
“Very often they rail against intellectuals and experts of nearly all types,” Steven Levitsky, a Harvard political scientist, told us. The leaders, he said, “claim to have a kind of common-sense wisdom that the experts lack. This doesn’t work very well versus Covid-19.” We explain — with a chart — here.

I, too, can selectively narrow my data sets to seemingly draw a conclusion based on a political opinion I already had. Perhaps I should write for the NYT?

Worldest largest country stopped virus cold, why authoritarian governments are the answer to pandemics
Byline: mu03Eng of the New York Times
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 09:09:46 AM by mu03eng »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6219 on: June 02, 2020, 08:30:44 AM »
I, too, can selectively narrow my data sets to seemingly draw a conclusion based on a political opinion I already had. Perhaps I should write for the NYT?

Worldest largest country stopped virus cold, why authoritarian governments are the answer to pandemics
Bylaw: mu03Eng of the New York Times

Now you're speaking tsmith's language!  Moar government.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6220 on: June 02, 2020, 08:31:48 AM »

Bylaw: mu03Eng of the New York Times

If we are expected to believe Chinese leaders, then you are right.

I don’t.  They lied before, but now they are honest. Hmm....

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6221 on: June 02, 2020, 09:11:03 AM »
If we are expected to believe Chinese leaders, then you are right.

I don’t.  They lied before, but now they are honest. Hmm....

oh I'm well aware they were and are lying their a$$e$ off.....that was meant to be part of my satire, however it seems like I should definitely not write for the Onion :)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6222 on: June 02, 2020, 09:32:32 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6223 on: June 02, 2020, 09:33:38 AM »
Honorable mention, goo.

+1.  Not sure how I missed you!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6224 on: June 02, 2020, 09:34:41 AM »

I don't recommend China's style of government to anyone.